share your funny stories as a wedding guest

I certainly hope your family has good enough etiquette to tag all wedding invitations with a "bathing attire optional" post script from now on!

Fun thread. No good stories come to mind at the moment.

It's actually a running joke in our family. My cousin is getting married in a few months, and when she began planning her wedding she was adamant that it wouldn't be anywhere near water. So what does she do? Decides that the wedding is gonna take place on a lake. A lake. :rolleyes: I'm bringing a towel with me this time at least. :rotfl:

Years ago, when it was still common for the groom to throw the bride's garter to the bachelor guys, the groom tossed it so high it got caught on a ceiling beam of the reception hall. A million to one shot.

A maintenance employee had to bring in a ladder and broom handle to knock it down.

At one wedding the guy who caught the garter placed it WAY up the leg of the woman who caught the bouquet. I found out later that they were actually already a couple. Anyway, my crude drunk uncle who was sitting at my table made a few roll-your-eyes comments.

"He almost knocked her up putting that thing on."

"He's trying to get it up her bingo box." Bingo Box???? First and only time I've ever heard that euphemism.

One of the members of DH's grad school lab got married, and about 25 of us were invited. Full mass, followed by an evening reception. Big swanky hotel, hot passed hors d'oeuvres pool-side, open bar, multi-course meal served by butlers in gloves... the whole 9 yards. The group of us were seated at 3 round tables, with DH and me seated at the middle table. In the middle of dinner, whoosh... something came flying by DH's head. Starting to look around... whoosh, here it came again from the other direction. Two lab members sitting at the tables on either side of us were throwing dinner rolls! I gave DH the hairy eyeball and hissed, "Don't you DARE." Smart man... he didn't dare, and a food fight was avoided when the other 2 guys' wives realized what they were up to!

1 - did one of them change?

2 - and then what happened?! did anyone find out who the woman was?
No. We urged my mom to go home and change, and she didn't. She spent the rest of the night avoiding the guest.

The girl didn't fight back, and ended up leaving. But she was someone who had issues with my cousin, and showed up to start trouble. So I guess she got what she deserved. Probably thought a wedding dress would have stopped my cousin from confronting her.

Went to a co-workers wedding. Someone at our table offered to go up and get drinks, one requesteda screwdriver. Drinks get back to the table and the person drinking the screwdriver had an odd face after taking a sip of the drink. The OJ portion was Tang, we spent the rest of the evening saying 'Tangdrivers". It was pretty funny at the time. However, the defining moment of the evening was when the bride was looking for her new husband. Couldn't find him anywhere. He was under the bridal table snorting coke. It wasn't a good scene. He had promised he would stop and this caused a few issues that evening. They wound up divorcing within a couple of years.

Went to a co-workers wedding. Someone at our table offered to go up and get drinks, one requesteda screwdriver. Drinks get back to the table and the person drinking the screwdriver had an odd face after taking a sip of the drink. The OJ portion was Tang, we spent the rest of the evening saying 'Tangdrivers". It was pretty funny at the time. However, the defining moment of the evening was when the bride was looking for her new husband. Couldn't find him anywhere. He was under the bridal table snorting coke. It wasn't a good scene. He had promised he would stop and this caused a few issues that evening. They wound up divorcing within a couple of years.

Tangdrivers! :laughing:

major cringe at the coke, though... I feel secondhand embarrassment just imagining that scene :eek:

At my niece's wedding, my sister-in-law and I (2 aunts to the bride) wore the exact same dress.

Funny part is is that she bought hers in FL where she lives and I bought mi e in CT. Didn't know we had the same dress until she arrived to stay at my house the day before the wedding! Same dress, same color. We were calling it "the retired bridesmaid dress".

To add to it, my other sister-in-law (brides other aunt)the attention seeker, then went out and attempted to buy the exact same dress as well. She couldn't find the same dress but ended up getting a new dress the day before the wedding that was the same color.

You can't make this stuff up.

I could totally see the same thing happen in my husband's family. My mother-in-law is one of 4 sisters. Two live near each other, but the other two live in other parts of the country. There's a 15+ year age spread among the sisters, too! But they *love* to match and often wear the same/coordinated outfits to family events like holidays. There have been many cross-country phone calls to coordinate outfits or one sister purchases for all and ships! I have also seen occassions where two sisters 'accidentally' bought the same thing, then the other sisters' feelings are hurt because they don't have whatever-it-is.

If 2 of the aunts showed up to a wedding in the same dress, I could *totally* see the third aunt going out to buy the same/as similar as possible so she'd match too. It's very weird, but it seems to work for them.

At my brother's wedding some of his friends had quite a bit to drink and wound up having a cupcake fight in the reception hall and bathrooms. There was dark blue icing everywhere, floor, walls, ceiling. And they did it before the cake was cut, so no one actually got to eat any. They also opened up a gallon of whiskey and started passing it around, it was a wedding present to the couple (and it was an open bar too!)

Another one, which was more awkward than anything, was at my cousin's wedding. No one informed the MC that the groom's entire extended family had a falling out with his God parents. So there was a nice uncomfortable silence when the MC asked his God parents to stand...

At my brother's wedding some of his friends had quite a bit to drink and wound up having a cupcake fight in the reception hall and bathrooms. There was dark blue icing everywhere, floor, walls, ceiling. And they did it before the cake was cut, so no one actually got to eat any. They also opened up a gallon of whiskey and started passing it around, it was a wedding present to the couple (and it was an open bar too!)

Another one, which was more awkward than anything, was at my cousin's wedding. No one informed the MC that the groom's entire extended family had a falling out with his God parents. So there was a nice uncomfortable silence when the MC asked his God parents to stand...

Took a direct flight to Cringe City hearing both of these. How unfortunate for your brother and his spouse :( and how awkward for the godparents at your cousin's wedding!

At my niece's wedding, my sister-in-law and I (2 aunts to the bride) wore the exact same dress.

Funny part is is that she bought hers in FL where she lives and I bought mi e in CT. Didn't know we had the same dress until she arrived to stay at my house the day before the wedding! Same dress, same color. We were calling it "the retired bridesmaid dress".

To add to it, my other sister-in-law (brides other aunt)the attention seeker, then went out and attempted to buy the exact same dress as well. She couldn't find the same dress but ended up getting a new dress the day before the wedding that was the same color.

You can't make this stuff up.
I had a similar situation at the nephew's wedding that I mentioned earlier. (FWIW, I have four nephews & only this nephew seemed to have a cursed wedding.) I bought my dress in Florida. My sister bought hers in NC. Obviously, we hadn't discussed dresses. We showed up at the wedding in the same dress style. At least, they were different colors. Fortunately, I knew what the wedding colors were & knew to avoid those. It wouldn't have been so bad, if she wasn't MOG. I felt horrible for kind of inadvertently stealing her thunder, especially since my dress was more sparkly than hers. My sister thought it was funny. I would have loved to disappear, if no one would have noticed. :o

On a positive note, this nephew is still married with two beautiful baby girls. So far, crashing cakes & matching dresses haven't been a bad omen for them. :goodvibes

Thought of another one. Went to a 2nd cousins wedding, out of state. Our table was one of 2 tables from our part of the family. It was a 5pm wedding with reception following. The reception was at fancy venue, don't recall where it was specifically. However, the reception was in a tent and it was pouring all night. The staff needed to keep poking the top of the tent to keep the water off the tent and keep it from collapsing. On top of that, our part of the family must have "missed the memo" that dinner was not served, only appetizers. Staff came around with hors d'oeuvres and we weren't' taking a lot as we were expecting dinner. By the time we realized, no dinner, it was cake time. A few stopped at McDonalds on the way back to the hotel.

Several months after DH & I were married, my new SIL, whom at the time of our wedding was just my brothers girlfriend, revealed to me that at our reception there were ladies in the restroom taking bets on how long our marriage would last. What she failed to mention was she was the one facilitating the conversation on the "bets".

I'd like to point out that our 15th Anniversary is in two days and I'd like the twat to pay up. Not to mention her marriage to my brother lasted less than 4 years due to her cheating on him several times, so.

So, was this woman drunk, or was this sober behavior? :rotfl2: Love the imagery of you two looking like a pair of owls!

I imagine that she was. This was years ago when the drinking and driving laws were not the incentive to keep folks from hitting the bar hard. We must have been pretty entertaining because we honestly thought there was something going on behind us!

It's actually a running joke in our family. My cousin is getting married in a few months, and when she began planning her wedding she was adamant that it wouldn't be anywhere near water. So what does she do? Decides that the wedding is gonna take place on a lake. A lake. :rolleyes: I'm bringing a towel with me this time at least. :rotfl:

Oh my goodness! My godchild is as well. She is have a small group kayak for the wedding, and asked me how I felt about it. Um....I would walk through fire for you Deb, so I guess I will kayak for you as well, but you might need to row my boat back home (The reason I was not invited when they were planning a five mile hike to the wedding site was because she as not sure she could carry my sad self back down the mountain! LOL) Nope! Deb is taking no chances with the least athletic and most clumsy aunties! We are getting a ride in a pontoon boat...that we are not going to be driving! I honestly cannot wait!

Several months after DH & I were married, my new SIL, whom at the time of our wedding was just my brothers girlfriend, revealed to me that at our reception there were ladies in the restroom taking bets on how long our marriage would last. What she failed to mention was she was the one facilitating the conversation on the "bets".

I'd like to point out that our 15th Anniversary is in two days and I'd like the twat to pay up. Not to mention her marriage to my brother lasted less than 4 years due to her cheating on him several times, so.

So what's her status on the Christmas card list, yay or nay?

Groom was marrying a native girl. He was drunk and could not be controlled. At the church, they were downstairs waiting for the time to go upstairs. Phone rings. Groom picks it up and answers "House of the Lord. Christ speaking". It went downhill after that. At the reception, groom wanted the dj to play "Son, don't go Near the Indians" There was a fight, with a smashed wedding cake and a broken mirror in the washroom. Groom was upset that his brand of beer was not being served. Bride left and wanted to stay in our room. We gently urged her to stay at her mother's house. Eventually bride and groom got together, but it didn't last, and they divorced.

Groom was marrying a native girl. He was drunk and could not be controlled. At the church, they were downstairs waiting for the time to go upstairs. Phone rings. Groom picks it up and answers "House of the Lord. Christ speaking". It went downhill after that. At the reception, groom wanted the dj to play "Son, don't go Near the Indians" There was a fight, with a smashed wedding cake and a broken mirror in the washroom. Groom was upset that his brand of beer was not being served. Bride left and wanted to stay in our room. We gently urged her to stay at her mother's house. Eventually bride and groom got together, but it didn't last, and they divorced.

...that sounds utterly disastrous, and good for them that they got a divorce. eeeeek :scared:

I've never been invited to a wedding that was disastrous. Yay me!

sadly my OWN wedding was more like one of these stories y'all are telling... *sigh*

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter