share your funny stories as a wedding guest

earfulofmagic

cranking out magic and assembly line whimsy
Anything funny, disastrous, heartwarming, infuriating -- all are welcome here. Please share with your closest friends on the interwebs!

I don't have any good ones to start off, but some small tidbits (all the same wedding):

- agonized over what to wear all day, and finally decided on this long, grey dress (not formal, but casual-semi. almost like an evening-appropriate sundress). the only other lady there in the EXACT same shade was the sole bridesmaid! the wedding colors were not advertised ahead of time. how I wished I'd gone with the pink dress :sad2:

- the light rail downtown rings the bells when in motion, but blares the horn if there are people jaywalking on its path (however far away). this ceremony was downtown, in a beautiful outdoor garden. HOOOONNNNNKKKKKKKK DING DING BLAAAARRRRHHH all the way through the vows. lots of pausing and chuckling, but it extended the ceremony by a good 10-15 minutes :faint:

- mother of the groom (who is an only child) got her food at the buffet, sat down next to me and SO at a table. she never took her place at the family table, which was in a special place just a few steps above the courtyard everyone else ate in. at her only son's wedding, she looked like she was snubbing her new DIL and son and family... but she simply didn't realize :rotfl2: meanwhile we just gabbed on about spanx, the weather, the salmon, her retirement, etc. until the newlyweds made their rounds toasting/visiting each table and requested her presence for at least dessert and photos :laughing:

:goodvibes

At my niece's wedding, my sister-in-law and I (2 aunts to the bride) wore the exact same dress.

Funny part is is that she bought hers in FL where she lives and I bought mi e in CT. Didn't know we had the same dress until she arrived to stay at my house the day before the wedding! Same dress, same color. We were calling it "the retired bridesmaid dress".

To add to it, my other sister-in-law (brides other aunt)the attention seeker, then went out and attempted to buy the exact same dress as well. She couldn't find the same dress but ended up getting a new dress the day before the wedding that was the same color.

You can't make this stuff up.

Last edited:
To add to it, my other sister-in-law (brides other aunt)the attention seeker, then went out and attempted to buy the exact same dress as well. She couldn't find the same dress but ended up getting a new dress the day before the wedding that was the same color.

You can't make this stuff up.

Why in the world would she intentionally get the same dress/color? It must have been awesome!

The only funny story I have, but not as a guest, is when my DH was suppose to say lawful wedded wife but instead said awful wedded wife. The family still laughs about that one!!! :teeth:

Pretty sure my funniest one is not allowable on the Dis, it was in Nola though, so it was going to happen.

share! share! share! share! :banana:

The only funny story I have, but not as a guest, is when my DH was suppose to say lawful wedded wife but instead said awful wedded wife. The family still laughs about that one!!! :teeth:

bahahaha! chalk it up to nerves. glad you find it funny :teeth: I can think of a few bride(zilla)s who would not be good-humored in that situation!

As a bridesmaid, I had my veil catch on fire as an usher and I left the ceremony. I didn't know anything was wrong until people leaped out of their seats to help me. It burned itself out almost as fast as it happened.

As a bridesmaid, I had my veil catch on fire as an usher and I left the ceremony. I didn't know anything was wrong until people leaped out of their seats to help me. It burned itself out almost as fast as it happened.

What caused the fire?

A tipsy female guest who was the center of attention on the dance floor ... lost her thong mid swirl!
Her mate scooped em up as many of us burst out laughing. Don't even think she realized it... that tipsy! Ugh!

A tipsy female guest who was the center of attention on the dance floor ... lost her thong mid swirl!
Her mate scooped em up as many of us burst out laughing. Don't even think she realized it... that tipsy! Ugh!

:confused: lol wut?! but they're secured firmly by the cheeks!

I wonder how that was physically possible, but I suppose this will remain a mystery :faint:

What caused the fire?

There were huge candelabras with many lit candles lining the church aisle. The wedding party had to walk up aisle to outside of church. As I passed one of the candelabras, my veil just happened to hit one of the burning candles.

I was at a wedding and the unity candle would not light. They tried seven or eight times before they just gave up. They were divorced two years later. Coincidence or not?

On the video of my first wedding you can see me mouthing 'please light, please light, please light' as we lit ours. It lit the first time...and we were divorced three years later.

Maybe unity candles aren't all they're cracked up to be.

Once at a wedding two people I didn't know were really swinging it on the dance floor. Like, literal swing dancing moves. Impressive stuff. But then my table noticed that one of the lady's "girls" had come loose from her dress. Her partner was either oblivious or enjoying the show. When they finished, a male friend of mine at my table calmly informed the lady as she walked by that she might want to look down. She seemed almost angry with my friend once she realized what had happened, as if it was his fault.

This same friend had a severe allergic reaction to one of the appetizers at the same wedding. Not his best evening. Couple broke up a year later.

Oh god, my brother's wedding was a disaster. His officiant was a good friend of his, who was still super hung over from the night before and kept going off script. Then once the actual reception started, all of his friends started drinking too much and he and them played the 'drunk, over protective big brothers' to me and started torturing my date (now fiance) and wouldn't stop. We both ended up leaving early and it took a few years for him and my brother to finally be on good terms again.

Many years ago my DH and I attended a very casual wedding for one of his coworker's. After the meal and as the day progressed DH and I split off, visiting with friends. Later on we were all returning to the tables and I wandered up behind my DH, and leaned on him, just enjoying the conversations taking place. All of a sudden a woman at the end of the table yelled "Back off *****!!!" So I looked around to see what the problem was. She bellowed again, and this time she stood up I was was pointing in my direction. Both DH and I must have looked like a pair of owls, looking all around to see who she was mad at. OMG! She was talking to me! "Are you talking to me?" Imagine DH surprise when she announced she had chosen him for her sister! LOL! I admit that I was pretty amused to see my poor DH trying to explain gracefully he was not on the market for her sister or anyone else. Neither one of us was insecure in our relationship, so no harm no foul, but later that night when I was questioned why I was so nonchalant about it I explained that I firmly believed that my philosophy was that "if she can take him she can him"

The couple is now divorced. Actually, I think every couple we knew at that wedding but us is divorced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years ago, when it was still common for the groom to throw the bride's garter to the bachelor guys, the groom tossed it so high it got caught on a ceiling beam of the reception hall. A million to one shot.

A maintenance employee had to bring in a ladder and broom handle to knock it down.

My son in law repeated back "Enjoy your sorrow", instead of "In joy and sorrow". My daughter didn't catch it until watching the video. He still tells her that he is ""enjoying her sorrow" when she bugs him about something.

I have a few other from past weddings:

A groom passing out on the alter when they were on the kneelers (thankfully). His mother stood up and went screaming down the aisle to get help.
He was just hung over from the night before.
Also, when he knelt down on the bottom on the shoe someone had put "Help Me" on the bottom of the shoe. He swore, he didn't do it. LOL

Another wedding....... Running out of food before everyone had been through the food line. Bad, just bad. We went out to dinner after that reception.

When I was little, my aunt and uncle had their vow renewals in their backyard. That backyard happened to have a Jacuzzi. My sister decided that it was a good idea to toss me in it. She may or may not have ended up with cake in her hair by the end of the afternoon. :rolleyes1

My other aunt had her wedding in her back yard too, but she had a huge pool. My cousin ended up quite tipsy and decided to go for a swim.

I'm not entirely sure what it is with my family and swimming at weddings...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter