Shannon & Craig's Scottish/Canadian Wedding ~ May 5/08 ~ WPBeach/ADH ~ We're Married!

Subscribing to a fellow Canadian's PJ!! :thumbsup2 I'll just pretend, for the sake of my retinas, that I didn't see the Leafs jerseys in the first few posts... ;)

People are already harassing us into registering, so I feel your pain!!! I was thinking of going with the honeymoon registry instead, so we'll see how that goes...

I'm dying to see pictures! :goodvibes

I think we are going to end up having a semi-naked wedding...or at least wedding party!!

So, you may have seen my desperation post on renting kilts. The place we were going to rent them from, Dunedin Scottish, in Tampa, pretty much told us on Friday that they can't fill our requests...despite the fact that we were there in November and all was fine. We are pretty sure they booked another wedding and gave all of the stuff that was allocated to us, to them. My Dad is absolutely furious. They have since been slightly backtracking and trying to find us ones, but I'm still not confident at all that when we get down there anything will be there for us. There are lots of places online to rent them from, biggest problem is that the tartan we selected doesn't really seem to be available anywhere else. Everything has been matched to that. We selected the Holyrood tartan...it is blue and white and a little brown...super ugly in the sample pic, but beautiful in person. Different from all the ones you usually see. Not quite sure what we're going to do.

Update on my dress...still don't have it. After telling us it was on a boat, last week we found out that it wasn't and that it was being specially airshipped to the designer, who will then overnight it to the bridal store. They said it "should" be here this week.

Bridesmaids dresses?? HERE!!! They are in and look great. Only complaint is that they are not anything near the colour that we expected. When you put the sample piece of fabric next to the dress, it does not match at all. We ordered Royal blue, but the dresses are most definitely more Cornflower blue (which is what I'd wanted and the girls didn't...ha). Some of the beads are coming off of the neck of my sisters dress, so we're taking that back to get fixed. The only other problem is that the dress laces up to halfway down their butt and then they'll either have a big weird bow, or a bump if they tuck it in. Have to sort that part out. Sending the two dresses to my bridesmaids out west today. And will mail the other one off to the UK tomorrow. With my luck, they'll get lost in the mail!! :rolleyes2

Just keep telling yourself that if things go wrong before the wedding then it gets it all out the way and your day will go smooth as silk:cloud9: .

Hi,

Couple of updates...the kilt store is trying to tell us now that everything will be okay...oh, how I hope. My girls all have their dresses and they are all relatively okay. I don't know how thrilled they are with them, but they look nice. The colour is definitely NOT royal blue (which I like to call Toronto Maple Leaf blue), they are much more cornflower. But I like them. The necklace piece was sewn on backwards on at least two of them and the beads are coming off another one. The bridal store fixed them. I think they are trying to help out as much as they can because MY DRESS IS STILL MIA!!!!!!! Although nobody has come out and specifically said this, we are pretty sure that along the lines at Maggie Sottero someone forgot to place the order until we started to look for the dress in February. Timeline...dress ordered by me on October 17th, 2007...bridal store placed order to Maggie's Canadian Head Office on October 18th...not sure what happens here...original dress delivery date Feb 5, 2008...we started to look for it about two weeks after that...factory was closed for two weeks for Chinese New Year (factory is in China) and these two weeks were accounted for in the delivery dates...but the factory also closed for a week of vacation that wasn't accounted for...so it technically should only have been a week late...told don't worry it's on a boat and should be here soon...never arrived...then told it was apparently shipped March 25th but it didn't turn up at the Canadian warehouse, so they call the American Head Office to see if it was there...nope...MIA!!! The latest is that it was specially airshipped this past Saturday, April 12 from China to the Canadian warehouse and it will be overnighted to the bridal store and should be there latest Wednesday or Thursday. We'll be checking with them in the morning to see if it's landed at the warehouse. The bridal store keeps telling me not to worry because they have a great seamstress and cleaner who can fix up the sample in the store just like new...ARE THEY SERIOUS??!?!?!?! I am NOT wearing the sample dress. It is disgusting and some of the seams are fraying...it cannot be made to look brand new. I am at a loss. Nobody is getting another penny out of us for this dress or alterations...in fact, we'd like what we have paid already back...but that might be pushing our luck. It means that I won't be able to dye my crinoline because we have to wait to get the dress to determine the best size. I'm a little sad about it, but oh well.

On a happier note, my sister (MOH) threw me a surprise shower last weekend which was really nice. I'll get some pics to post on here. We also hidden mickey'd my veil and it turned out fantastic...which is great, especially if that's all I'm wearing!!!! Ugh. The boys gifts got here and they are pretty cool. The engraving looks dumb, but oh well, we're over it. I'll see if i can take a pic. I found earrings that I liked better than the ones I had originally bought and just have to get to a store to get them.

Other than all that, we're trying to finalize everything with Disney but I can't get Laura to respond to any of my emails. My Dad and I are both at the point that we just want to can the whole wedding because it seems like everything is a hassle. I am hoping that at some point my fairy godmother comes out and saves things. Nobody is helpful these days!!

Anyways, I'm going to try to find some happy things to post about and get some pics of the great weekend I had. There were even some surprise visitors. On another happy note, the hockey team I work for made the playoffs!! YEAH US!!!

3 WEEKS TODAY!!! AHHH!!!

I'm sure everything will turn out ok, sending lots of pixiedust:

I have had some email issues with Laura too! She emailed over 2 weeks ago that she got my email and nothing since! She will be hearing from me this week!

So I should be getting super excited right now, but I'm just super stressed. I am not sleeping and really worried that things aren't going to get done or turn out okay.

Got some better news today that my dress is at least in this hemisphere!!! It's at Maggie's distribution warehouse and my bridal store should have it tomorrow!!! I can't wait for someone to call me and tell me it's actually here!!
As I've posted before, I work for two professional sports teams and that is pretty hectic right now. The one team has our home opener this Saturday and the other is starting what is going to be a super deep run into the playoffs!! I am at work 24/7 and don't have time to finish all the fiddly little details that need to get done. Also means that even if my dress does come, there is no way I can make it to see it before Sunday. So, Sunday is my day to do everything!

Finally got in touch with Laura and she answered some questions...my floral deadline is tomorrow though!!! We are having a phone meeting at 3pm, so hopefully I haven't been called into some preseason or playoff meeting at that time! I'll feel a lot better once that is finalized.

I got the kilt for my bridesmaids baby in the mail yesterday...along with the kilt for my ring puppy. They are too cute for words and really made my day!

My diet has gotten all screwed up with my crazy work schedule...but I plan to put my head down next week and lose the last three pounds. It will have no effect on the dress, but I still intend to make my goal.

Anyways, Craig is at home starving so I have to jet and bring him food.

Thanks for all the support. You guys are great.

:banana: So happy that there's some good news for you Shannon. It's a shame you're so busy and stressed out but as soon as you reach the World you'll feel so much better.

Faith, trust and pixie dust honey:wizard:

Cant wait to hear your dress is safely in the store! Glad you heard from Laura, it wont be long now!!!:yay:

Hi Wedding Twin,

I am so sorry everything hasn't been going smoothly, but everything will turn out beautifully. I fully understand what you're going through. My FMIL is having serious letting go issues and creating hell for everyone. My dress is two sizes too big and they are refusing to alter it, we ordered my ring last night and we are praying that it will be ready by the time we leave (12 days). I scrapped some of the favors I was going to do, and the welcome bags will be half empty, because work is crazy for me too right now. There are guests who still are not 100% sure if they are going and have not RSVP'd. My brother backed out of going just 3 weeks ago and so my two nieces, who were going to be a jr. bridesmaid and the flowergirl won't be there and we are stuck with their dresses and they are very sad. But everything will be ok.

I don't know if you care, but on the off chance that it may help you feel better, I just thought that I would share... the planets will be positioned very nicely on May 5th. Astrologically speaking, it is a perfect day to get married, (or buy a house, start a business, etc). The universe will be blessing and strengthening new commitments and new contracts of all kinds on that day, especially in the late afternoon. So even if all of the details are not perfect, the outcome should be perfect and long lasting.

Also the general numerology of the day (2) is very good for strengthening or building a foundation of understanding, commitment, unconditional love, compassion and the list goes on. So everything will turn out perfectly. :hug:
(If you want me to delete this let me know, i don't want to offend anyone :flower3:)

LOL, we may have a semi naked wedding too, if my too big dress falls off! :lmao:

Nikki

Hi Wedding Twin,

I am so sorry everything hasn't been going smoothly, but everything will turn out beautifully. I fully understand what you're going through. My FMIL is having serious letting go issues and creating hell for everyone. My dress is two sizes too big and they are refusing to alter it, we ordered my ring last night and we are praying that it will be ready by the time we leave (12 days). I scrapped some of the favors I was going to do, and the welcome bags will be half empty, because work is crazy for me too right now. There are guests who still are not 100% sure if they are going and have not RSVP'd. My brother backed out of going just 3 weeks ago and so my two nieces, who were going to be a jr. bridesmaid and the flowergirl won't be there and we are stuck with their dresses and they are very sad. But everything will be ok.

I don't know if you care, but on the off chance that it may help you feel better, I just thought that I would share... the planets will be positioned very nicely on May 5th. Astrologically speaking, it is a perfect day to get married, (or buy a house, start a business, etc). The universe will be blessing and strengthening new commitments and new contracts of all kinds on that day, especially in the late afternoon. So even if all of the details are not perfect, the outcome should be perfect and long lasting.

Also the general numerology of the day (2) is very good for strengthening or building a foundation of understanding, commitment, unconditional love, compassion and the list goes on. So everything will turn out perfectly. :hug:
(If you want me to delete this let me know, i don't want to offend anyone :flower3:)

LOL, we may have a semi naked wedding too, if my too big dress falls off! :lmao:

Nikki

Well, Wedding Twin, I hope you are right!!! Except about that dress falling off thing!! Wouldn't that be awesome if we had Disney's first two naked weddings at the same time on the same day? :headache: I'm sure they'd love that! I am glad to hear that the universe will be right for us on May 5th, but can you tell me what it's had against us until now????!??!!! I too have scraped some things that I wanted to do as I'm basically just trying to keep my head above water right now. I'm excited to get down there as it makes me so happy to there and everything will be okay...but until then I will continue to stress out!!!!! Such is life.

Well, Wedding Twin, I hope you are right!!! Except about that dress falling off thing!! Wouldn't that be awesome if we had Disney's first two naked weddings at the same time on the same day? :headache: I'm sure they'd love that! I am glad to hear that the universe will be right for us on May 5th, but can you tell me what it's had against us until now????!??!!! I too have scraped some things that I wanted to do as I'm basically just trying to keep my head above water right now. I'm excited to get down there as it makes me so happy to there and everything will be okay...but until then I will continue to stress out!!!!! Such is life.

That would be absolutely hilarious!!:rotfl2: But hopefully, we won't have to find out just how funny everyone else will find our naked parties!

It's been hard for most people over the past few months. Saturn has been retrograde (appearing to move backwards in the sky) since December 19th and will be returning to normal on May 3rd. Saturn's pull is very powerful, so whenever it is retrograde, everything can seem like a struggle. (On top of everything else that isn't going smoothly, I had a two week cancer scare during the first two weeks of Saturn in Retrograde, one bridesmaid (my 25 yr.old cousin) had a malignant tumor removed during the first week and right now, towards the end, another bridesmaid is waiting for the results from a cancer blood test) And they are both going through divorces that are not going easily. Everyone is having a hard time. So we will be released from that struggle just in time.

In addition to that, Mercury (which rules communication, travel and movement - ie. shipping, mailing) was retrograde from January 28th through February 19th, but didn't return until March 10th. The problems with my dress and your dress on a slow boat/ plane from China could have been a result of that.

May 5th is particularly good because Venus (which rules love) is in perfect alignment, all of the planets will be moving direct (not retrograde), the New Moon moves into Taurus (which is ruled by Venus) on May 5th (New moons are always the best time for new beginnings). The chart for May 5th, 2008 is wonderful, it should be a very easy day for most people. It is definitely good for romance. There are people whose personal birth charts will be in conflict with the alignment some of the planets that day, but in general it should be a very lovely day. Even babies born on May 5, 2008 will have a beautiful, calm birth chart.

Later in May, Jupiter and Mercury are both going retrograde, so things will get a little rough again. But like you said...such is life.

:flower3:
Nikki

Hi Again,

Wedding Twin...thank you for all the positive thoughts...there aren't too many in my world right now!

My dress finally arrived and it looks great...problem is that it's a little too big and definitely too long. The store kindly offered me a $100 discount, which we don't really think is enough for being 10 weeks late. I was told the designer only guarantees your dress by your wedding date?!?!? So basically, if you want it early, lie about your date. Bad scene occurred at the store when I almost punched out owner. They had assured me that the seamstress was awaiting my call and could turn the dress around in 48 hours if need be. Ha, shoulda know better than to believe that! Went to see her tonight and she kept telling me everything fit okay and when she found out I needed it by Sunday said she couldn't do it!!! So I got mad and we left. Several phone calls later we found another lady and we're going to see her in the morning. Ugh. Will it ever end???

Photobooth is booked...as is STVS for video. Floral and Favours and everything else Disney seems set too. That's happy news. We bought leis for the rehearsal dinner. I seem to have lost my shoes, but I'm sure they will appear. Not sure if I ever mentioned that I hidden mickey'd my veil. Looks great. Craig's kilt shoes arrived...too small again, but he'll have to squish.

Went for a hair trial today and it looks like it's going to be super hard to get my tiara to sit into my hair without some type of hair piece...or nails into my skull. Looking to buy a few clip in hair pieces, but they are ridiculously expensive!! Trying to find time to get my hair cut and highlights done, but had to cancel my appt tomorrow to try to figure out this stupid dress.

Anyways, going to try to get some sleep. Been having trouble with that lately. Eagerly awaiting leaving for Florida a week tomorrow and can't wait for some Pixie Dust to finally head my way.

Glad your dress got there safely! :headache: The bridal store should be ashamed of themselves!

You are almost there.... pixiedust:

It's been hard for most people over the past few months. Saturn has been retrograde (appearing to move backwards in the sky) since December 19th and will be returning to normal on May 3rd. Saturn's pull is very powerful, so whenever it is retrograde, everything can seem like a struggle. (On top of everything else that isn't going smoothly, I had a two week cancer scare during the first two weeks of Saturn in Retrograde, one bridesmaid (my 25 yr.old cousin) had a malignant tumor removed during the first week and right now, towards the end, another bridesmaid is waiting for the results from a cancer blood test) And they are both going through divorces that are not going easily. Everyone is having a hard time. So we will be released from that struggle just in time.
Things have been tough here, that's for sure!

I'm so happy for the two of you that May 5th will be the perfect wedding day in the stars. Of course, it will be tough if the dresses don't get fixed until May 3rd, but it could be worse. :)

Hugs to both of you

So happy to hear that your dress arrived - and the kilts sound great. Can't wait to see a picture of you in your dress.

To both scottish/canadian and hope1826 - just wanted to let you know that my parents were married on May 5. They would have been married 55 years this coming May 5 (unfortunately my mom died 2.5 years ago) but they had a wonderful marriage - so it is a very good date. We were originally looking at that day for ourselves - then we would have been wedding triplets - but it did not give us enough time to get everything done that we wanted to do.

Have a wonderful day - I will definately be thinking about you on that day. Are you guys going to try to meet in your wedding dresses and get some photos?

Linda

Hi Again,

Wedding Twin...thank you for all the positive thoughts...there aren't too many in my world right now!

My dress finally arrived and it looks great...problem is that it's a little too big and definitely too long. The store kindly offered me a $100 discount, which we don't really think is enough for being 10 weeks late. I was told the designer only guarantees your dress by your wedding date?!?!? So basically, if you want it early, lie about your date. Bad scene occurred at the store when I almost punched out owner. They had assured me that the seamstress was awaiting my call and could turn the dress around in 48 hours if need be. Ha, shoulda know better than to believe that! Went to see her tonight and she kept telling me everything fit okay and when she found out I needed it by Sunday said she couldn't do it!!! So I got mad and we left. Several phone calls later we found another lady and we're going to see her in the morning. Ugh. Will it ever end???

Photobooth is booked...as is STVS for video. Floral and Favours and everything else Disney seems set too. That's happy news. We bought leis for the rehearsal dinner. I seem to have lost my shoes, but I'm sure they will appear. Not sure if I ever mentioned that I hidden mickey'd my veil. Looks great. Craig's kilt shoes arrived...too small again, but he'll have to squish.

Went for a hair trial today and it looks like it's going to be super hard to get my tiara to sit into my hair without some type of hair piece...or nails into my skull. Looking to buy a few clip in hair pieces, but they are ridiculously expensive!! Trying to find time to get my hair cut and highlights done, but had to cancel my appt tomorrow to try to figure out this stupid dress.

Anyways, going to try to get some sleep. Been having trouble with that lately. Eagerly awaiting leaving for Florida a week tomorrow and can't wait for some Pixie Dust to finally head my way.

You're welcome, I wish I could help more. I am sorry your bridal shop is being so ridiculous. Things will get better. And I am sure you will look beautiful in your Maggie dress, despite their stupidity! I can't wait to see it!

My dress is going to be too big for the same reason. My dress came in early, but small (bust- 1 inch to small) because of David's Bridal's issues and they said they couldn't alter it. So they ordered a larger size (2-3 inches too big at the waist and 5 inches too big in the hips) they had assured me that they would have time to alter it, even if they had to do it in 48 hours. But when the dress came in last week they said it was too late. So I have to wear my dress to big. I took it to a few tailors and they all said they couldn't do it, they are way too busy with weddings and proms. So, I had to buy a bigger slip and I may get a sash to make it look better and to help hold it up.

Things have been tough here, that's for sure!

I'm so happy for the two of you that May 5th will be the perfect wedding day in the stars. Of course, it will be tough if the dresses don't get fixed until May 3rd, but it could be worse. :)

Hugs to both of you

I'm sorry things have been tough for you too, like I said, there will be a break in May and then get rough again in a different way until fall. But this too shall pass.

I don't expect that things will be fixed by our wedding date. It's more like the universe will show us that things can be perfect in ways we hadn't planned and would have never expected, while the things we actually did plan will be held together with bandages. It's a good day for materialistic things will melt away while love and deeper connections are emphasized. So I'm at peace with all of the things that won't get done or won't fit correctly and I think Shannon will be at peace when the day comes too!

I just hope you can get some sleep between now and then, Shannon! :hug:

And you're right, Gillian, it definitely could be worse.

So happy to hear that your dress arrived - and the kilts sound great. Can't wait to see a picture of you in your dress.

To both scottish/canadian and hope1826 - just wanted to let you know that my parents were married on May 5. They would have been married 55 years this coming May 5 (unfortunately my mom died 2.5 years ago) but they had a wonderful marriage - so it is a very good date. We were originally looking at that day for ourselves - then we would have been wedding triplets - but it did not give us enough time to get everything done that we wanted to do.

Have a wonderful day - I will definately be thinking about you on that day. Are you guys going to try to meet in your wedding dresses and get some photos?

Linda

Linda, that's so wonderful to hear. I am sorry that your mother has passed, but it's wonderful that she had such a long and happy marriage.

And like I had told you before (I think in your PJ) I'm sorry you weren't able to chose May 5th. We could have had an amazing double dessert party at UK!

I don't know if we will have time to meet, my wedding is going to be really rushed as it is. We are cramming the ceremony, pictures, a dinner reception and the illuminations dessert party into 5 hours. But I am going to let my planner, Celeste, know that she doesn't have to avoid you or hide me, I am completely ok with see you.

Shannon, if you are ok with it too, you should let your planner know. I think part of their job on that day is to hide brides from each other, unless we specifically say it is ok. But I would love to see you and I'm sure my single bridesmaids would love to see your naked groomsmen!

Nikki

Hi Again,

OMG you poor thing!!! That is insane!!! I hope everything works out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter