• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Shanghai Disneyland Grand Opening Trip Planning Thread

Hi everyone!

• Have you decided to go yet? Yaaaaaaaas Day 1 & 2
  • Have you ever attended a Disney theme park official opening before? Nah
  • Where are you going to stay? Hyatt on the Bund
  • What's your strategy to get park tickets? Had to hustle that first day they went on sale. Bought 1st day tix on official site. 2nd day tix on Alibaba.
  • How long are you going for? Two days in park. One add'l day in Shanghai
  • What other sights / attractions are you going to visit during your trip? Eh
  • What else would you like to share? Let's talk about opening day:
I was wondering what peoples plans are for opening day. I think the park will open at noon, correct? Will there be a ceremony before that? Not sure what time I should arrive at the gate... worried a bit about crowds.

I was wondering what peoples plans are for opening day. I think the park will open at noon, correct? Will there be a ceremony before that? Not sure what time I should arrive at the gate... worried a bit about crowds.

Welcome aboard :wave2:

My plan for Opening Day is to get the first train to Disneyland (will be at about 6am I think). I'm estimating it will take me about 45 minutes to get there (I am staying near the Maglev station on my first night). I'll go straight to the Shanghai Disneyland Hotel, check in and drop off my luggage, then basically head straight to the gates. I'll play it a bit by ear on the day. If it looks like it's pretty quiet early on, I'll have a look around Disney Town or Wishing Star Lake on my way through.

Happy to team up with any other solo travellers that morning to hold each other's places in line for bathroom breaks, coffee runs etc :thumbsup2

The long range forecast on weather.com for Shanghai is calling for thunderstorms for the days we will be there (6/19-22). Hopefully that changes as we get closer (or maybe it will serve to keep the crowds down slightly). Guess I better pack a poncho...

Some more details on the opening day festivities: http://www.laughingplace.com/w/news...-disneyland-telecast-disney-channel-networks/

Looks like it'll be broadcast on some Disney channels. Too bad I don't have cable but I'm sure there will be stuff online too.

Bob Iger, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company, will be joined by nearly 3000 distinguished guests, celebrities and government officials at the largest, tallest and most interactive castle at the heart of any Disney Park, The Enchanted Storybook Castle.

This makes it seem as if members of the public will not be able to see the opening celebration itself, only 3000 invited guests :( I guess these are the people who received the blue invitation we saw a few weeks ago.

Some more details on the opening day festivities: http://www.laughingplace.com/w/news...-disneyland-telecast-disney-channel-networks/

Looks like it'll be broadcast on some Disney channels. Too bad I don't have cable but I'm sure there will be stuff online too.

This makes it seem as if members of the public will not be able to see the opening celebration itself, only 3000 invited guests :( I guess these are the people who received the blue invitation we saw a few weeks ago.

Yes I got that impression too :sad: Hopefully there will be *something* for us plebs lol!

Apparently the tv special is only a half hour long. (?) My parents get the Disney channel and have it set to record. I'll be able to watch it when I go home for the 4th of July weekend. It sounds like just the castle area is going to be reserved for this and all of the "special guests". Very interested to see it!

Apparently the tv special is only a half hour long. (?) My parents get the Disney channel and have it set to record. I'll be able to watch it when I go home for the 4th of July weekend. It sounds like just the castle area is going to be reserved for this and all of the "special guests". Very interested to see it!

Me too! If I can't see it on the day, I hope I can at least see the video online somewhere afterwards.

Leaving for Shanghai tomorrow :hyper: I'm excited, but also a little nervous!

If you see me around, please say hi! I'll be the westerner with blonde ringlets Disneybounding as Minnie - shouldn't be too hard to miss :rotfl:

Leaving for Shanghai tomorrow :hyper: I'm excited, but also a little nervous!

If you see me around, please say hi! I'll be the westerner with blonde ringlets Disneybounding as Minnie - shouldn't be too hard to miss :rotfl:

What do you have to be nervous about? Everything will be fine :)

I arrived in Shanghai a bit earlier today (landed about 8 hours ago) and just been chilling out at my hotel. On that note, does anyone know any good places to eat in the Disney Resort area that are already open? My body clock is already getting used to China time and my stomach is rumbling (it's 6.30pm here) but want to avoid the typical Chinese place where menus are either not in English or in unintelligible English and you have no idea what you are getting!!

I arrived in Shanghai a bit earlier today (landed about 8 hours ago) and just been chilling out at my hotel. On that note, does anyone know any good places to eat in the Disney Resort area that are already open? My body clock is already getting used to China time and my stomach is rumbling (it's 6.30pm here) but want to avoid the typical Chinese place where menus are either not in English or in unintelligible English and you have no idea what you are getting!!

I'm just a bit nervous about logistics and what's actually going to happen on Opening Day! Trying to go in with the attitude that just being there will be a thrill and anything I get to see or experience will be a bonus.

I think there are already places open in Disney Town. Not sure exactly what is though.

My friend helped me find an app that I've downloaded that will scan Chinese words and translate them for me. I don't think I'll need it at Disneyland, but it could be handy for the rest of China. Might be worth downloading it if you think it would help - once it's downloaded you don't need data to use it.

Have a great time, everyone!! I will be there at the very end of July/beginning of August! Can't wait to see and hear all of the reports in the meantime!

I'm just a bit nervous about logistics and what's actually going to happen on Opening Day! Trying to go in with the attitude that just being there will be a thrill and anything I get to see or experience will be a bonus.

I have been thinking EXACTLY the same. To start with I was a bit overly hopeful I would see the CEO speech, ceremonial music performances etc. Now it's looking less likely that will happen, but I've GOT to be content with that, otherwise I won't enjoy this trip at all.

I'm 99% sure I will be able to see a video of the opening ceremony sometime in future. On that basis, the sadness is largely psychological...between wanting to see something with my own eyes versus seeing it on screen. Having said that, here are some of the things I've been telling myself to psyche myself up:
  • This is the best spot I could have got as a member of the general public so to all intents and purposes I will be able to cross this experience off the bucket list. This is somewhat akin to seeing a film at midnight on the day it came out - yes, you didn't go to the grand premiere, which was only for invited guests, but you still scored a major victory by being in the atmosphere of excitement on public release day.
  • What's more, this is what being a true Disney fan is all about. The invited guests at the real opening ceremony will be largely businessmen and politicians who are not "Disney fans" as such. What we are doing is the rite of passage for all hardcore Disney fans out there. Being a Disney fan is not about being in an exclusive club.
  • The atmosphere is going to be great and especially as we will be some of the first people to "really" walk into the park - not just under trial operations.
  • If I attend the second part of the day (public part) in person and watch the first part on video, I've got the best of both worlds.
  • Just to try to catch a glimpse of the proceedings or a snippet of the audio is worthwhile to be there.
  • Just like with Character Hunting, Disney is equally about the journey as about the end result. If you searched all day for a character and didn't find them, was it necessarily a wasted day? No, because you took an adventure.

Anyway that's just my random thoughts.

My friend helped me find an app that I've downloaded that will scan Chinese words and translate them for me. I don't think I'll need it at Disneyland, but it could be handy for the rest of China. Might be worth downloading it if you think it would help - once it's downloaded you don't need data to use it.

Is it Pleco? I used that one on several trips to China. It can literally translate things word-for-word, but it can still have trouble conveying the meanings of some things which are called a totally different way in common English.

Just a random tip for those who haven't been to Shanghai before: when you go to the metro station at the airport, there is the option to buy a travelcard but it's not clearly marked. If you follow the sign called "tickets" you can only buy paper tickets there. There's a separate desk next to the turnstiles where you can buy the card. It was very efficient and the lady spoke English. It costs a 20rmb refundable deposit.

If you take the metro to SDR, there are announcements as you get close advising you to buy a return ticket in advance if you are on single tickets, if you plan to go to the Disney resort. Presumably this is because they expect massive queues at the ticket desk after the park closes. If you get a travelcard you can avoid all this hassle. But I suppose if you are planning to stay on property for basically your whole trip, it isn't worth it.

I have been thinking EXACTLY the same. To start with I was a bit overly hopeful I would see the CEO speech, ceremonial music performances etc. Now it's looking less likely that will happen, but I've GOT to be content with that, otherwise I won't enjoy this trip at all.

Is it Pleco? I used that one on several trips to China. It can literally translate things word-for-word, but it can still have trouble conveying the meanings of some things which are called a totally different way in common English.

Yes, you're right. I was the same way - thinking I would get to see all of the opening ceremonies and everything. I was just a bit disappointed when I realised the general public are likely to get absolutely nothing. I'm still hopeful that there will be some sort of small special ceremony though just prior to rope drop or something.

The app I've got is CamDictionary. My friend (who lived in China for a while and speaks fairly good Mandarin) says that the translations are pretty good. Hope you're enjoying it so far!

Just a random tip for those who haven't been to Shanghai before: when you go to the metro station at the airport, there is the option to buy a travelcard but it's not clearly marked. If you follow the sign called "tickets" you can only buy paper tickets there. There's a separate desk next to the turnstiles where you can buy the card. It was very efficient and the lady spoke English. It costs a 20rmb refundable deposit.

If you take the metro to SDR, there are announcements as you get close advising you to buy a return ticket in advance if you are on single tickets, if you plan to go to the Disney resort. Presumably this is because they expect massive queues at the ticket desk after the park closes. If you get a travelcard you can avoid all this hassle. But I suppose if you are planning to stay on property for basically your whole trip, it isn't worth it.

Great tip! Thanks for sharing :goodvibes

You have probably found this out already but Disney Town has Cheesecake Factory and Starbucks already operational, plus more

Went to SDR for the first time last night. Remember that route I planned to Shanghai Disneyland Hotel before? I had no idea it was mostly in Wishing Star Park!

I had previously thought that Wishing Star Park was just the rectangular area north of the lake. Not sure if I was the only one under this misconception? In the early days of the map, that was the location marked as "Wishing Star Park" but turns out that is just the entrance and the park itself extends most of the way around the lake. In fact, I have not found any way to access that rectangular area (garden above the metro station) even though it can be seen from multiple angles - last night I walked around the whole metro station looking for a way in. If anyone has any details on this, I would be interested!!

The Wishing Star Park itself is only open from 7am-7pm, however I was able to walk into it at like midnight last night...but I wouldn't count on being able to do that after the official opening. Therefore I was a bit confused to find not one but two 24-hour convenience stores located inside the park itself! How can a store be 24-hour when the surrounding park is only open for 12 hours in the day? Well, turns out that there is a special entrance to the park for guests staying at the Shanghai Disneyland Hotel - you can touch your keycard to get from the hotel gardens into the park and vice-versa, even outside the park's opening hours. However, even more surprising is that, while one convenience store is located right next to that special entrance, the other one is located about a 5-10 minute walk from there. Why would one walk to that convenience store when there is one right by the entrance? No idea!

I asked the staff in the hotel lobby (which incidentally I had to get security clearance to enter, a process which took some 10 minutes in itself, although that's likely because of the soft opening) whether the other park entrances are open to hotel guests outside opening hours but they didn't know. But I went to those entrances and there is no keycard reader that I can see. (There is an entrance to the park by Disneytown and another one by the metro station so this would be handy for walking to/from the hotel early in the morning or late at night. But I don't know for certain it would be open. The walking route I shared a few weeks ago relies on it being open. To be clear, all the bridges you see across the lake on the map, are actually inside Wishing Star Park.) For Toy Story Hotel guests (wanting to have their breakfast at SDH, for example) it's even less likely they can walk through the park.

There is another walking route to SDH (which I used in the end) that is much longer as it essentially goes around the boundary fence of Wishing Star Park. Basically it just goes along the main road towards the hotel entrance, with a pedestrian walkway along the entire south edge of that road. That would be a long walk, especially with luggage. Upon arriving at the main hotel entrance from the road, there is a pedestrian walkway to the lobby (you have to buzz in on the intercom).

I asked the hotel staff about plans for the opening day schedule but unfortunately they have no information :(

You have probably found this out already but Disney Town has Cheesecake Factory and Starbucks already operational, plus more

Yep, I had dinner at the Cheesecake Factory last night! A bit pricey (one expects food in China to be so cheap) but good! According to the staff, they soft-opened on June 1st, but this basically means they are open but not allowed to "officially" declare that until the 16th. Thanks for the info all the same!

Thanks very much for all your information wtdanceisthrough! Really helps us out!

I actually thought from the beginning that Wishing Star Park was pretty much all around the lake, but I had no idea that it would only be open between certain hours. As the shortest route between the park and the hotels, I would have thought they'd at least make the opening hours in line with park hours, maybe an hour before opening and an hour after closing or something.

Hope this helps!:

shanghai-disney-resort-trip-planning-5.jpg

Took this photo last night. It shows the extent of the park. The specific map board I photographed is right next to the "special gate" into the hotel grounds, so you can see ("you are here" marker) where that would be located relative to the other gates if you were using the park for commuting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter