Shanghai Disneyland Grand Opening Trip Planning Thread

Wuzefelix

Thinks of himself as the #1 Disney fan ever...
Hiho,

now that Shanghai Disneyland officially announced that it will be opening on 16th June 2016, who's in on this trip planning thread to exchange information or just share the excitement of their upcoming trip? :yay:

• Have you decided to go yet?
  • Have you ever attended a Disney theme park official opening before?
  • Where are you going to stay?
  • What's your strategy to get park tickets?
  • How long are you going for?
  • What other sights / attractions are you going to visit during your trip?
  • What else would you like to share?
Happy planning everyone, and have a magical time at Shanghai Disney Resort! :earsboy:

---
Wuzefelix

I'll do the start: :earboy2:

My brother, a friend of ours and me will be flying into Shanghai at night on the 15th of June from Seoul, South Korea, where we are going to visit both Lotte World and Everland theme parks. They aren't Disney but they look like a lot of fun and we are so excited to visit Korea for the first time! Yey!!

The official press release of Shanghai Disneyland says:
Shanghai Disney Resort will host a multi-day grand opening celebration, culminating in a spectacular welcoming ceremony for the resort’s first official guests on June 16, 2016
So I see it as if there will be a multi day opening celebration before the 16th of June. However, we are thinking this is probably just going to be a multi day press event with celebrities and high ranking officials, so what are the odds to get invites for that, right? That is why we are planning for the 16th which in theory should be the first day the park will officially open to the public. Our plan is to go to the park on the 16th and 17th (Thursday and Friday).

Honestly, we are a little worried about actually getting into the park. Back in the day when Hong Kong Disneyland opened, they sent a lot of people with valid tickets home because the park reached its capacity limit (30.000). Does anyone know what the total capacity of Shanghai Disneyland will be? Since the park area will be larger than the one in Hong Kong, my guess is around 50.000 maybe? Anyway, Shanghai and the surrounded region are extremely densely populated and my guess is a ton of people are as excited as us to visit the park right when it opens.

Do you think Shanghai Disneyland will only sell dated tickets for the first opening days? This would prevent the extreme masses of people to show up because only people with tickets for that day would travel to the park. But it could also mean that these tickets might sell out within minutes when the sale starts on the website. Any strategies to make sure to get tickets?

If the tickets won't be dated, then would it be a good plan to arrive super early to make sure you get in line for rope drop before the park reaches its capacity limit? But how early are we talking? 2 hours before rope drop, 3? 4? 5? It's really hard to tell what it's going to be like.

The official Shanghai Disneyland website talks about the advantages of staying on-site in a Disney Hotel:
Priority Access – Resort hotel Guests are given priority theme park access during peak times at Shanghai Disneyland.
https://www.shanghaidisneyresort.com/en/benefits-staying-on-property/

I interpret this the kind of "guaranteed access" to the park for on-site hotel guests, similarly to what other Disney Resorts around the world offer. So we consider staying at least one night at the Shanghai Disneyland Hotel. Would you agree that staying one night should theoretically mean priority access to the park for two days? The arrival day and the next day? Then we would probably try to get there around 6-7am, check in (the rooms most likely wouldn't be ready yet), store our luggage and try to get into the breakfast restaurant in the hotel before park opening.

The other nights we will probably stay at a less expensive hotel in the area. Does anyone know if the extension to Shanghai Metro Line 11 will be open in time for the Grand Opening of the park? But even then, we would probably stay somewhere closer to the park and then move to a hotel in the city center after visiting Disney. Because even with the subway it seems like quite a long trek from the city center area to the Disney Resort.
Even on Chinese booking sites such as Ctrip and Elong I don't see any hotels that are really close to the park. So right now we are considering the "Maixinge Boutique Hotel Chuansha Branch" which is about 8km from the park by taxi. It is cheap and looks reasonably clean and comfortable for just spending the night. Any other recommendations?

You see, at the moment there are still so many questions. But my guess is the closer we get to the opening date, the more answers we will get.

I'm interested to hearing your thoughts and just share the excitement of my first ever Disney Park Grand Opening:stitch:!

---
Wuzefelix

Last edited:
Hiho,

now that Shanghai Disneyland officially announced that it will be opening on 16th June 2016, who's in on this trip planning thread to exchange information or just share the excitement of their upcoming trip? :yay:

• Have you decided to go yet?
  • Have you ever attended a Disney theme park official opening before?
  • Where are you going to stay?
  • What's your strategy to get park tickets?
  • How long are you going for?
  • What other sights / attractions are you going to visit during your trip?
  • What else would you like to share?
Happy planning everyone, and have a magical time at Shanghai Disney Resort! :earsboy:

---
Wuzefelix

Hi!!!

We're SUPER excited and can't wait to go, especially with all the friends on the opening crew!! (although we're not going for the actual opening date!)

Since more info came available I think we'll end up staying at the Toy Story hotel they have, seems more like a value/moderate, though the other one looks amazing but we're trying to do things on a budget! We'll be in Asia for around 2 months, starting in Tokyo, ending in Hong Kong, hitting up all the disney parks & areas as we go!

Since we're doing so much more than just the park we'll stay at a different hotel more inner city/cheaper option while we're off exploring the city!

We originally planned I believe 2 days in the park and 2 days in the city BUT with more info about the park and how much we want to do/make sure we see it all I think we'll up it to 3!

Hi. I am sure the crowds will be horrible, but trying to figure out how to add it into our trip around the same time as the grand opening. Does anyone have any when the Hotel reservations will open up? I agree from above, that seems to be the only way to gaurante entry into the park.

I have to say it does looks like it will be very interesting. My favorite park is Tokyo Disney Sea where they have completely new and different parts lands from Disneyland. This looks like it will be the same.

Hi!!!

We're SUPER excited and can't wait to go, especially with all the friends on the opening crew!! (although we're not going for the actual opening date!)

Since more info came available I think we'll end up staying at the Toy Story hotel they have, seems more like a value/moderate, though the other one looks amazing but we're trying to do things on a budget! We'll be in Asia for around 2 months, starting in Tokyo, ending in Hong Kong, hitting up all the disney parks & areas as we go!

Since we're doing so much more than just the park we'll stay at a different hotel more inner city/cheaper option while we're off exploring the city!

We originally planned I believe 2 days in the park and 2 days in the city BUT with more info about the park and how much we want to do/make sure we see it all I think we'll up it to 3!

Hi and :welcome: to the SDL trip planning thread. How amazing that you have friends on the opening crew!! So exciting!

Yeah, staying on-property for the entire Shanghai leg of your trip does sound like a bit of a waste for the days that you will be out exploring the city. They have much cheaper and closer options in the city center. For example i can recommend staying somewhere near People Square / Nanjing Road / The Bund. Wonderful, that you are considering staying on-site for the Disneyland days though! The Toy Story Hotel looks like fun and will give you the same benefit of priority access to the park.

How funny, just like you, we were planning on 2 days but now want to give us the flexibility of upping it to 3 when we're there and feel that it's necessary.

Wonderful, 2 months in asia and all 3 asian Disney Parks :cloud9:. You'll have such a great time!

Hi. I am sure the crowds will be horrible, but trying to figure out how to add it into our trip around the same time as the grand opening. Does anyone have any when the Hotel reservations will open up? I agree from above, that seems to be the only way to gaurante entry into the park.

I have to say it does looks like it will be very interesting. My favorite park is Tokyo Disney Sea where they have completely new and different parts lands from Disneyland. This looks like it will be the same.

:welcome: to the SDL trip planning thread. Awesome, that you will get to go around the grand opening! Unfortunately there's no info out there about when they will start making hotel reservations or selling tickets, so stay tuned :surfweb:.

I totally agree with you, Tokyo DisneySEA is also my favorite park. Everything is so unique and beautiful! I personally don't expect SDL to be quite at that level, but like you said it looks like it will be quite unique in that it's so different from other Magic Kingdom type Disney parks.

:welcome: to our little SDL trip planning thread! Thank you for sharing the link. You know, that announcement is exactly the reason why we start planning our trips to Shanghai and are getting more and more excited :). Are you going to visit SDL?

---
Wuzefelix

I won't be going until July, but I am anxious to gain all the info that I can and will look forward to reading everyone's reports.

Have you decided to go yet?

I'm in! Got my leave approved today, going to book flights tonight :cool1:

Have you ever attended a Disney theme park official opening before?

Nope. So excited to see what it's all about!

Where are you going to stay?

My plan is to stay at the Toy Story Hotel for the first 2 nights, then stay at the SDL Hotel for my last night.

What's your strategy to get park tickets?

No idea! I plan to keep an eye on the boards/facebook/blogs etc for details. If there's guaranteed access to the parks if staying onsite, that will help a lot! I also plan to get there really early on the 16th, like 4-5 hours before opening.

How long are you going for?

I'm pretty low on annual leave at the moment, so I can only manage 3 nights in China! I plan to arrive on the night of the 15th, and leave as late as I can on the 18th.

What other sights / attractions are you going to visit during your trip?

No time for anything else! Although, thinking about the probable crowd levels, I may need an escape for a few hours, so may consider taking a short trip into the city if it's easy enough.

What else would you like to share?

Hanging out for hotels and park tickets to become available. I really hope that I don't go to all this effort and not be able to get into the park lol!

Does anyone know about transport options from the airport? It looks really close - will there be a train, or will I have to take a taxi? I've heard horror stories about taxis in China (getting ripped off etc), and as a blonde curly haired, blue eyed female travelling solo, I will definitely stand out as a tourist!

Would also be interested in organising a meet up/s with anyone who is interested. I'll be a bit out of my comfort zone!

Due to a public holiday in Melbourne that week, I managed to take one extra day of leave and score a whole week off! So now I have a few days to add a little side trip before SDL... now to figure out where I want to go!

Has anyone heard about DVC Reservation Points being made available at Shanghai?
I'm guessing that information will come from DVC directly, if at all.

I won't be going until July, but I am anxious to gain all the info that I can and will look forward to reading everyone's reports.

:welcome: to our little planning circle! July is still pretty soon after the opening so that still sounds very exciting :earsboy:. And you'll have the advantage of getting more information earlier on to help you plan your trip. With that, and Disney probably making the first operational improvements the weeks after opening, the whole experience might be a bit smoother for you.

I'm in! Got my leave approved today, going to book flights tonight :cool1:

Awesome!!! :welcome: to our club ;-). I bet you are as excited as we all are :tigger:.

My plan is to stay at the Toy Story Hotel for the first 2 nights, then stay at the SDL Hotel for my last night.

Wonderful! I cross my fingers you manage to book this when reservations do open up :goodvibes.

No idea! I plan to keep an eye on the boards/facebook/blogs etc for details. If there's guaranteed access to the parks if staying onsite, that will help a lot! I also plan to get there really early on the 16th, like 4-5 hours before opening.

Oh my, that's gonna be one early morning. I am considering going around this time, too, but my brother doesn't appreciate waiting in line for a park to open... Maybe with the hotel preferred access it won't even be necessary. I just wish we knew how it's going to be like. We could go there 4-5 hours before opening and realize we're the only ones for the first 2-3 hours, or it could be already packed with other fans anxiously waiting for the park to open...

Although, thinking about the probable crowd levels, I may need an escape for a few hours, so may consider taking a short trip into the city if it's easy enough.

Shanghai is an amazing city so I do recommend a visit if there's time. However, crowds in the city center in places like Nanjing Road, People Square or the Bund are not going to be much different from Disneyland. There are so many people living in Shanghai.

Hanging out for hotels and park tickets to become available. I really hope that I don't go to all this effort and not be able to get into the park lol!

My biggest fear is exactly this :scared1:.

Does anyone know about transport options from the airport? It looks really close - will there be a train, or will I have to take a taxi? I've heard horror stories about taxis in China (getting ripped off etc), and as a blonde curly haired, blue eyed female travelling solo, I will definitely stand out as a tourist!

Taxi will be your best option! I've been to China a lot and my experience is as long as the driver agrees to run the meter, it's usually fine. Especially at airports I never had a bad experience because you get the taxi from an official taxi line, so they always run the meter. Same for the way back from Disney as you will either get it from your hotel or from the taxi line at the Disney Resort bus and taxi station.

If the extension to Line 11 of the Shanghai Subway opens by the time the park opens (as planned), there would be another option: Maglev train (faster but expensive) or Subway Line 2 (slower but cheaper) from Pudong airport to Longyang Road. Then Line 16 to Luoshan Road. From there the new Line 11 extension to Disney. However this would not be practical as it takes more time and would be a hassle with luggage. If taking the maglev, I bet this option would also be more expensive than a taxi. I really advise against this.

Would also be interested in organising a meet up/s with anyone who is interested. I'll be a bit out of my comfort zone!

Count me in for a meet up :thumbsup2. How about a meet up in Disneytown after park closing on the 16th? Would be fun to explore Disneytown and grab a bite to eat or something to drink with some fellow Disney fans while discussing opinions about the brand new park.

Due to a public holiday in Melbourne that week, I managed to take one extra day of leave and score a whole week off! So now I have a few days to add a little side trip before SDL... now to figure out where I want to go!

I take it this will be your first time in China? How many days do you have? I would certainly recommend at least one day to explore the magnificent city of Shanghai with its famous sights such as Nanjing Road, The Bund, old town with Yuyuan Garden and a visit to Oriental Pearl Tower or the new Shanghai Tower.

If you like (non Disney) theme parks, take a look at Happy Valley Shanghai. It's a large park with many modern roller coasters, great live shows and some weird / interesting rides such as a 3D darkride or a "Soarin' over China" ride. You can easily reach it by subway within less than an hour from the city center.

Has anyone heard about DVC Reservation Points being made available at Shanghai?
I'm guessing that information will come from DVC directly, if at all.

:welcome:to our SDL trip planning thread :earsboy:!

No information on this has been released yet but as soon as I hear something I'll post it in the thread. Although my worry is that they might not make DVC bookings for SDL available for the dates of the grand opening :confused3.

---
Felix

Last edited:
Oh my, that's gonna be one early morning. I am considering going around this time, too, but my brother doesn't appreciate waiting in line for a park to open... Maybe with the hotel preferred access it won't even be necessary. I just wish we knew how it's going to be like. We could go there 4-5 hours before opening and realize we're the only ones for the first 2-3 hours, or it could be already packed with other fans anxiously waiting for the park to open...

The joys of going solo - I don't have to care what anyone else thinks of lining up hours in advance! It will certainly be interesting to see what happens. I don't know how many hard core Disney fans there are in China, who will make the effort to line up that early.

Shanghai is an amazing city so I do recommend a visit if there's time. However, crowds in the city center in places like Nanjing Road, People Square or the Bund are not going to be much different from Disneyland. There are so many people living in Shanghai.

Hmm... I'm expecting massive shoulder to shoulder crowds at Disneyland. If that is what Shanghai will be like, I don't think I'm interested :rolleyes: I'll just have to go back to my room if I need a break, or maybe check out the 'nature park' in the resort area if that doesn't look too crowded. I will definitely need a break.

Taxi will be your best option! I've been to China a lot and my experience is as long as the driver agrees to run the meter, it's usually fine. Especially at airports I never had a bad experience because you get the taxi from an official taxi line, so they always run the meter. Same for the way back from Disney as you will either get it from your hotel or from the taxi line at the Disney Resort bus and taxi station.

If the extension to Line 11 of the Shanghai Subway opens by the time the park opens (as planned), there would be another option: Maglev train (faster but expensive) or Subway Line 2 (slower but cheaper) from Pudong airport to Longyang Road. Then Line 16 to Luoshan Road. From there the new Line 11 extension to Disney. However this would not be practical as it takes more time and would be a hassle with luggage. If taking the maglev, I bet this option would also be more expensive than a taxi. I really advise against this.

Hmm the train sounds like it's going to be a bit hard (kind of like in HK where you have to change at multiple stations. I would be interested in taking the Maglev, just for the experience, but it doesn't sound like it will be practical.

Count me in for a meet up :thumbsup2. How about a meet up in Disneytown after park closing on the 16th? Would be fun to explore Disneytown and grab a bite to eat or something to drink with some fellow Disney fans while discussing opinions about the brand new park.

Sounds good!

I take it this will be your first time in China? How many days do you have? I would certainly recommend at least one day to explore the magnificent city of Shanghai with its famous sights such as Nanjing Road, The Bund, old town with Yuyuan Garden and a visit to Oriental Pearl Tower or the new Shanghai Tower.

If you like (non Disney) theme parks, take a look at Happy Valley Shanghai. It's a large park with many modern roller coasters, great live shows and some weird / interesting rides such as a 3D darkride or a "Soarin' over China" ride. You can easily reach it by subway within less than an hour from the city center.

Yep, first time in China. I *could* arrive as early as Saturday night if I there's something I specifically want to do, giving me all day Sunday, Monday and Tuesday before heading out to Shanghai. I thought about flying into Beijing and doing a Great Wall trek, but there don't seem to be many small group tours available. I suppose I could always fly into Beijing and just spend a few days there joining small group tours of various things that I'm interested in before taking the bullet train down to Shanghai.

Logistics are all a bit hard, and I'm nervous about being in China on my own - people I've spoken to have told me that it's really tough going over there for western tourists (I think it'll be ok at Disneyland, I'm sure people will speak English and be able to help me), so I'm considering going somewhere else entirely on the way through, maybe Malaysia since I'd have to go through KL on an AirAsia flight anyway. We've already been to KL, and will be going to Penang in March, but I wouldn't mind visiting Melaka/Malacca. Other options I was considering were South Korea (we had a short stopover in Seoul last year and I felt pretty comfortable there), Taiwan, maybe Indonesia (I've been there several times and speak some Indonesian, so that's not as scary). Vietnam or Thailand could be options too, but they're not as 'on the way'. Hong Kong, Singapore and Japan were also options, but they're all a bit too expensive. Being on my own, I'd prefer to keep things pretty straight forward and reasonably budget!

Heading to China in July to visit my dd. We have plans to visit July 12-15th. Hoping to stay at Toy Story Hotel. I keep checking each day to see when they will release prices. . Looking forward to reading posts of those who go in June.

Does anyone know when the Disney resorts open for booking/ room rates will be released?

we are more interested in the Shanghai Disneyland Resort vs Toy Story
with under 500 rooms.....have a feeling this resort is going to sell out FAST!

thanks

Does anyone know when the Disney resorts open for booking/ room rates will be released?

we are more interested in the Shanghai Disneyland Resort vs Toy Story
with under 500 rooms.....have a feeling this resort is going to sell out FAST!

thanks

I'm checking daily. It would be ideal if they would give us some notice before they start taking bookings, but I'm not counting on that happening. (I'd hope that whoever finds out first will upload this thread as a matter of urgency though ;)).

At this point I still don't even know if the onsite hotels are going to be within budget (I know they'll be expensive, but hopefully not outrageous)!

I will be going to Shanghai in early July for a conference. I've never been to China before and am hoping to check out the new DL park in Shanghai as well as take the high speed train to Beijing and visit the sites there including the Great Wall.

I'll be checking the DL site daily as well to see when they release the hotel pricing!

We're seriously considering going. How many times in your lifetime can you go to the opening of a Disney park??

We'd probably fly in the day before and spend three or four days at a Disney hotel. I don't want to book flights without a hotel confirmation, though. I worry that without the hotel, the chances of accessing the park are small, even the days following the opening.

I will be going to Shanghai in early July for a conference. I've never been to China before and am hoping to check out the new DL park in Shanghai as well as take the high speed train to Beijing and visit the sites there including the Great Wall.

I'll be checking the DL site daily as well to see when they release the hotel pricing!

I'm so jealous of people who get to travel for conferences! Great timing :thumbsup2

We're seriously considering going. How many times in your lifetime can you go to the opening of a Disney park??

We'd probably fly in the day before and spend three or four days at a Disney hotel. I don't want to book flights without a hotel confirmation, though. I worry that without the hotel, the chances of accessing the park are small, even the days following the opening.

My thoughts exactly!

If I happen to miss out on Disney accommodation, I still plan to go and try to get in to the park. If not, I'll enjoy the sight-seeing opportunities I do have in the Disney hotels, Disney Town, the large recreation area, and whatever other opportunities come up!

I think I've decided to stick with Malaysia for my few days on the way through to SDL. I'm just not comfortable with the idea of getting around on my own in China, and by the time I factor in the cost of tours/guides/drivers, it will end up being more expensive than I'd hoped.

In Malaysia, I'll be quite happy to make my own way around using mainly public transport. Still deciding exactly what I'm going to do. One option is Melaka. I'm also considering doing the Jungle Railway to Kota Bharu and flying from there to Shanghai. It's currently partly out of action from flood damage, and I'm struggling to find any decent information about when it will be re-opening. Looks like April, but definitely haven't been able to confirm that.

I'm so jealous of people who get to travel for conferences! Great timing :thumbsup2

I'm giving a talk so there will be a bit of stress involved I'm sure but otherwise it should be great! I've never traveled overseas for a conference before and am very excited!

We are stalking the booking pages as well... This could be a mad dash for hotel rooms...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter