SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

We stay at Shades of Green all the time but I've never tried to do an early morning breakfast reservation in the parks. If I have a reservation for breakfast in Magic Kingdom that is before park opening, how do we get there from Shades of Green? Do monorails run early enough for that? We have always just gone in at park opening so I'm not familiar with getting there early!
We've gone before park opening for tours and never had trouble getting there on time. We have taken the monorail from the Poly and the TCC.

We stay at Shades of Green all the time but I've never tried to do an early morning breakfast reservation in the parks. If I have a reservation for breakfast in Magic Kingdom that is before park opening, how do we get there from Shades of Green? Do monorails run early enough for that? We have always just gone in at park opening so I'm not familiar with getting there early!

I think monorails normally start an hour before park opening, maybe a bit earlier? When we were there a few weeks ago we left SOG at 8:00am and walked across the street to Poly and got on the resort monorail (there was zero security line) and walked into Magic Kingdom right around 8:30. I don't know if that's early enough for you, but if not you could leave a bit sooner and be over at Poly at 8:00 to catch the monorail a little earlier.

The resort monorail at the Poly is usually running by 7am
so you should be fine. When you check in they wil give you a Disney times guide where you will find all transportation hours. If the resort monorail is not running, which can happen so always have a plan B, you can take taxi/uber to the Contemporary and walk to MK, it does not cost much. This has happened to us on previous trips when the resort monorail, and the ferry and express monorail at the TTC were not running early enough for our breakfast ADR.

The resort monorail at the Poly is usually running by 7am

...and if you want to get acquainted with the Times Guide, below is the link where the current one is posted on a weekly basis:

Thanks for the link! I'll check for sure. Anyone else doing the AP Playtime event at Toy Story Land in September? We were able to snag one for our last day (9/11) and we have to be at DHS at 0645...So that should be fun. If nothing else, I'll be able to report back how we got there! (we won't have a vehicle)

Heading down Sept 2nd and need a sponsor for one more Salute ticket. Anyone going to be down there on the second of September with elegability remaining on this year's Salute offering?

I have briefly read through this forum. Are there any recent updates on room renovations? It sounds as if many of the rooms that have not been renovated really need updates. Just wondering when they will finish the project. Thanks!

I have briefly read through this forum. Are there any recent updates on room renovations? It sounds as if many of the rooms that have not been renovated really need updates. Just wondering when they will finish the project. Thanks!
I was wondering the same thing about renovations. Anyone have any new info? Also.. the Dis had an article about Extra magic hours but the Shades was not listed. Does SOG have access to EMH ?

I was wondering the same thing about renovations. Anyone have any new info? Also.. the Dis had an article about Extra magic hours but the Shades was not listed. Does SOG have access to EMH ?

Yes, SOG does have access to EMH. As far as I know there is no firm completion date for the renovations. We just came back, and work was still in process on the third floor, and the second floor was not touched.

Shades of Green guests have access to EMH. For the morning EMH, we showed our Shades of Green resort ID when we accessed the park. For evening EMH, cast members are checking magicbands at ride entrances, and we just showed our Shades ID then. (We keep them in little plastic bus pass wallets for easy access throughout the day for meals, the shuttle and EMH)

Hi everyone. I just booked for March 3-8th. This is my first time staying at SOG. Previous visits have been CBR, POP, ASMO, AKL, and I have used Disney Springs hotels for the night before or after disney hotels. So my first time staying at a non disney hotel the whole stay and I had reservations as I booked so I will share with you some things I learned while booking. I was told by March construction should be done. (we will just hope for that as I am aware of how things can change)
My main concern was MDE because I am going to be in a sponsered room. She said to make sure you do it on a computer vs app for linking and fast passes. I used my phone browser and was able to link the resort. My Stepdads name was the main name with 4 spots for the rest I was able to sub his name for DHs and add are name I was told that was fine, if not we have a infant I can drop off the reservation on MDE for fast pass selection process.
Walkway is open for Poly and will be in March. (again I am aware of the possible changes)
So now for questions for those of you that have been to SOG. I know coming into this we will not have the theming as disney hotels. This visit the only way to make the this trip happen was to do Pop or Shades. We are a family of 5 a 13yr old, 2 yr old, and at that time a 11 month old. So I figured we would be more comfortable at SOG. My mom will be there as well and will have my teen in her room. So I figured more room and proximity to the monorail would be ideal. So in terms of amenities and rooms did I make a good call? Just a little nervous based on reviews on trip advisor...

Last edited:
Heading down Sept 2nd and need a sponsor for one more Salute ticket. Anyone going to be down there on the second of September with elegability remaining on this year's Salute offering?

I might be able to help you. I "think" I have one more Salute ticket for this year. I am here now, staying at Shades. I'll be checking my status this afternoon. Line was way too long this morning. Just want to verify if I purchase it at Shades that I will not need to go with you to activate? I probably won't have time for that. PM me.

We are a family of 5 a 13yr old, 2 yr old, and at that time a 11 month old. So I figured we would be more comfortable at SOG. My mom will be there as well and will have my teen in her room. So I figured more room and proximity to the monorail would be ideal. So in terms of amenities and rooms did I make a good call? Just a little nervous based on reviews on trip advisor...

No reason to be nervous. As someone who stays at both the Disney value resorts and SOG the differences are minor for kids. Yes, you don't get big tacky statues of Disney characters, but some people like that. You still get a good resort with a great pool that is close to the action. With a family of 5 you will LOVE the fact that the rooms are larger then anything you can get at Disney resorts for the same price point. Unless you get family suites, none of the rooms at the value resorts fit 5.

You can easily take the bus to TTC every 20 minutes (for Epcot or Magic Kingdom) or take a bus to the other parks every hour. Not sure you will be walking to the monorail with an 11 month old and not sure how often you will want to use the Shady Shuttle with 5 people and strollers and such. That will vary depending on your particular habits.

IMHO the biggest disadvantages to SOG vs. Disney
* Can't use DDP
* for the most part the staff is nice, but not quite as nice as at Disney
* Can't use Magical Express
* No free magicbands or room charges.

Beyond that, you will probably feel safer at SOG then any Disney resort. You are close to the action while still being an island away from the action.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I just booked for March 3-8th. This is my first time staying at SOG. Previous visits have been CBR, POP, ASMO, AKL, and I have used Disney Springs hotels for the night before or after disney hotels. So my first time staying at a non disney hotel the whole stay and I had reservations as I booked so I will share with you some things I learned while booking. I was told by March construction should be done. (we will just hope for that as I am aware of how things can change)
My main concern was MDE because I am going to be in a sponsered room. She said to make sure you do it on a computer vs app for linking and fast passes. I used my phone browser and was able to link the resort. My Stepdads name was the main name with 4 spots for the rest I was able to sub his name for DHs and add are name I was told that was fine, if not we have a infant I can drop off the reservation on MDE for fast pass selection process.
Walkway is open for Poly and will be in March. (again I am aware of the possible changes)
So now for questions for those of you that have been to SOG. I know coming into this we will not have the theming as disney hotels. This visit the only way to make the this trip happen was to do Pop or Shades. We are a family of 5 a 13yr old, 2 yr old, and at that time a 11 month old. So I figured we would be more comfortable at SOG. My mom will be there as well and will have my teen in her room. So I figured more room and proximity to the monorail would be ideal. So in terms of amenities and rooms did I make a good call? Just a little nervous based on reviews on trip advisor...

The vibe is totally different at SOG; a much more laid back resort that has a home like feel. The lobby is like a big living room with a fireplace; great place to hang out and relax after a long park day. The pools are great, the rooms are spacious, and you can walk across the street to the Poly for a taste of Disney. Can't beat the location. IMHO I think you will enjoy your stay.

The vibe is totally different at SOG; a much more laid back resort that has a home like feel. The lobby is like a big living room with a fireplace; great place to hang out and relax after a long park day. The pools are great, the rooms are spacious, and you can walk across the street to the Poly for a taste of Disney. Can't beat the location. IMHO I think you will enjoy your stay.
We love the laid back atmosphere!! After a day of absolute chaos, it's heavenly!!

Can you clarify - did you say you were able to put your husband's name on the reservation in place of your stepdad (the military sponsor)? We weren't able to do that and for us that means that we have one person who can't be linked to the room. There are 3 of us going - my husband is not going but they said his name has to be on the room so we can only add 2 more people. Last year we did this and they said we could still make FP at 60 days out for the 3rd person who wasn't on the room reservation as long as we all did the same rides. I'm concerned that this is going to be a problem - have they come up with a fix for this now that will allow all the names to be on the room yet?
thanks!

Can you clarify - did you say you were able to put your husband's name on the reservation in place of your stepdad (the military sponsor)? We weren't able to do that and for us that means that we have one person who can't be linked to the room. There are 3 of us going - my husband is not going but they said his name has to be on the room so we can only add 2 more people. Last year we did this and they said we could still make FP at 60 days out for the 3rd person who wasn't on the room reservation as long as we all did the same rides. I'm concerned that this is going to be a problem - have they come up with a fix for this now that will allow all the names to be on the room yet?
thanks!

Yes I've done that, gone in and modified the existing reservation and replaced my name on the top of other rooms and entered an adult that will be staying in that room... steps are a few pages back in post #3600:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/s...tion-questions.2912833/page-180#post-59599409

Yes I've done that, gone in and modified the existing reservation and replaced my name on the top of other rooms and entered an adult that will be staying in that room... steps are a few pages back in post #3600:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/s...tion-questions.2912833/page-180#post-59599409

Stayed at SOG before but as part of a split stay with a Disney resort, so I've never had to link MDE for FP's or ADR's. I'm a little lost. I see I can add a guest, but I don't see anywhere to add my child's name I'm only seeing 1 guest spot to add into. Will it show 3 people when I link it to MDE? Should I call in and have them add my daughter? My reservation shows 2 adults and 1 child. Thanks in advance for help!!

Stayed at SOG before but as part of a split stay with a Disney resort, so I've never had to link MDE for FP's or ADR's. I'm a little lost. I see I can add a guest, but I don't see anywhere to add my child's name I'm only seeing 1 guest spot to add into. Will it show 3 people when I link it to MDE? Should I call in and have them add my daughter? My reservation shows 2 adults and 1 child. Thanks in advance for help!!

We had the same issue. We have two rooms--my SIL and daughter and their kids in one and DH and I in the other. Since my SIL was the sponsor, his name was on both rooms and we were unable to add another person. My SIL called SoG who were very unhelpful but called Disney, was transferred to IT, and they were able to add everyone to the reservation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter