• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

~~~~ Sew, it seams this trip wasn't the adventure we had planned! ~~ January 2018! ~~ COMPLETE 5/6!

What a lovely trip! I am so in love with the beach -- that is truly my happy place and our goal is to live near the beach when we retire -- we're thinking Florida or South Carolina...we shall see. I'm so glad you had a wonderful time with Suzi. I love Mamma Mia -- isn't that such a fun show? And the food all looks amazing. Yummmmmmm.....

Update here...my son-in-law got accepted to the optometry school he was waitlisted for and that was his number one choice....and then found out this morning that he doesn't meet one of their entrance requirements so he can't go. He and Alyssa are disappointed, but they really did like the school in Texas and will be happy there. I have many friends in the area, and I'll be able to visit them when I travel to Texas for work. Plus Alyssa has a cousin there so they'll have some family. So it will be good.

Alyssa and I drove to Colorado this weekend to watch Brie's lacrosse games. It was gorgeous weather and we really liked the Fort Collins area...but then we hit a snowstorm on the way home and that made for some scary, white-knuckle driving. The weather was supposed to be clear across Wyoming when we checked it before we left Friday morning, but the storm changed path and we ended up having to go through it on Sunday. After a few hours of scary weather, snow, icy roads, and high winds, Mark and his brother came and met us just over the Utah border and Mark drove the rest of the way home over the mountain pass into Utah, which was also still getting snow. Fortunately those roads had been cleared. But goodness, it was scary! While in Colorado we stayed with my best friend and it was so good to spend time with her.

Brie has been offered a great job for the summer back home so it looks like she's going to delay her plans for a few months to accept that job and get some money saved up for school before she leaves for 18 months. We think that's a great idea.

We're scheduled to close on the house at the end of this month. Home inspection went very well. I'm still a bit apprehensive but feeling better about things. We're making a list of which updates/repairs need to be done before we move in and which ones can wait, and now looking for appliances since we'll need a washer and dryer and a fridge, and I want the kitchen appliances to match so we'll be getting a new stove and microwave as well. We're going to wait on the dishwasher since it's not visible from the rest of the open space and we'll just replace that when we redo the kitchen cabinets/countertops next year. We also need a new sofa as our front room furniture only includes a loveseat and two side chairs (part of a set -- we just didn't need the matching sofa so we didn't buy it when we got the rest of the set) and, fortunately, the matching sofa is still available and it's on a fabulous sale, so we are going to get that. Goodness....so much to do....

I hope all is going well!

Hi D-

I’m glad to hear that you had a great time. I have relatives in the Fort Myers area and have been to Sanibel Island, although it was a long time ago. The pool looks lovely. My grandparents would rent houses with pools and we loved visiting them.

So glad you had your trip with Suzi! And I got caught up!:) Love your day at AK; the baby tigers! Too, too adorable. I am watching the new season of The Zoo. This is one of my favorite shows. So glad you got to experience FOP. I have heard the wait times can be insane. Your Up bag and ears are my favorite.

Glad your girls got to US and HP. The HP rides are so crazy. I could only do them once each while I was there last.

Glad you finally got Europe travel out of the way. This may sound so silly, but I miss our cats when we are on vacation. Like, a lot. They are such a part of my life. And I always miss my home after a bit. Even though I love traveling and seeing and doing new things. So strange.

Can't wait to see more Dorine! Take care!!

The girls and I headed out to our next FP - Haunted Mansion... When V was 4 ~ and me not knowing anything about Disney rides ~ I mean - the name Haunted Mansion should have given me a clue, right? Anyways - we took her on HM and she SCREAMED bloody murder the entire ride... Ever since then - this is NOT her favorite ride. Terrible, terrible mother, I know. My poor 18 year old daughter still struggles with HM residual memories from when she was 4. Long story to say... She didn't ride.

Oh no! We dragged our 3 year old on this ride on our last trip, and then we got stuck in the room where the tomb is opening. I hope she forgets that memory before our next trip!

Also, I love your daughter’s tattoo!

Hi Everyone!!! So sorry I've been MIA... Life, again, just got away from me. I promise to be a better Diser and I will work on replies over the next few days...

I've been working like crazy in my sewing room... Not only working on "work stuff" but working on fun stuff too...

Like Vacation fun stuff. :woohoo: I always plan my Disney vacation outfits down to the smallest of details... I've been feeling a little "ho-hum" about this Europe trip, until I joined in on creating a "Spring Capsule" on one of my FB groups... :eek: Yes, D~, let's just add one more project (or 14) to your plate, shall we? :scratchin I consider this project to be a "distract with wise mind" project... I've had a lot of stuff going on in my life otherwise (which I will get to later - maybe) and trying to occupy my time which I would otherwise spend at my Target store. LOL

Anyways... Making a capsule wardrobe... I thought this might help me with my lack of packing ability - you know, the "bring everything that will fit" syndrome... and then add more. Yes, that is me. ::yes::

Spring Capsule = 9 items of clothing which all mix, match and coordinate to make umpteen-billion outfits... I knew I was screwed when I hit #14... This plan was NOT working for me, at all. :lmao: Yes, you do neeeeed mustard leggings, oooooh - how about coral??? Yes, please. Olive green? Yup - that will go too... Shaking my head in shame.

So, here is what I have made so far... I am done with 3 tops, 1 dress, 1 skirt, 3 pairs of leggings, 1 cardigan and a partridge in a pear tree...

(sorry, no pictures of leggings...)

E181580B-6ED2-4A12-B5E7-61137209E3B6.jpg

08438707-988E-47E2-945F-82A54FA88B6E.jpg

EBF72BAA-61BD-4A92-905A-836273D2063A.jpg

4D9D004B-52E1-42B1-A868-6CB768B5F1AE.jpg

0198336F-36FC-48C2-9500-3B2556C281E1.jpg

E76E1DA6-9EA7-491F-97F1-A6EB596853A3.jpg

I did model the dress and the skirt though...

5A31D07E-DB86-45CB-BCD3-CEAF1030043C.jpg

6FEA456F-CFDC-493B-A080-1259E8040742.jpg

And kind of the cardigan, since I broke my own rule of "not wearing anything until the trip", when I wore it to my grandmother's 98th birthday party last weekend...

BFD5613F-E85B-4C8C-82D8-30C0C9070E31.jpg

A8DDE39F-32F8-42EE-8F76-A333953F8139.jpg

So, my sewing room has been my life for the last few weeks... and going forward until we leave...

In other news... I don't know how to say this, or how much I want to say... First off - it's very important to me that NOTHING about this is said on Facebook... Much of my extended family does not know, and at this point in time, I do not want them to know. I ask that you respect that and keep this here. :lovestruc

In a nut shell, I've been going through a lot of testing... I found a lump in my breast last fall - without going into the long and complicated story, in a nutshell, this week has been full of my 6 month recheck appointments and as of now, everything is coming back great... and I feel fine. This has been very difficult for me, as I have been through this once before (I also discovered a lump when I was pregnant with Allison) - and as my pathologist told me when this one was discovered in October, because I've had one benign tumor in my life - the likelihood of me continuing to get them throughout my life is very high. On Monday - I had a needle biopsy of the tumor and all of the samples came back as benign... however - my mammogram after the biopsy came back with another "suspicious" area - so this isn't over... But it isn't "urgent" either - I am confident in my care team and if they felt at all that this was an urgent matter - we would be investigating at a much more rapid pace. I go back in another 6 months, and this time I will be the lucky recipient if a 3d mammogram. :woohoo: Until then... Honest - I am NOT worried at all. I feel perfectly healthy. ::yes:: And in my heart, I feel like I am OK.

I also had my annual physical on Tuesday - and while I am in great shape - a couple of other things were discovered - which I have also been going through testing for... I hope to have results for these things by the end of the week or early next week... Again - thorough testing, but not worried... Surprisingly - my anxiety over all of this has been quite relaxed and I am proud of myself for that.

OK - that's all for today... Thanks for sticking with me as I took a break here... I hope to be back to updating this weekend, so watch for that! :)

Prayers and pixie dust to all! :grouphug:

D~

I love the dress you made! So springy you’ve been in my thoughts recently because I noticed you hadn’t updated in a while. I’m glad everything is coming back clear and you’re feeling good

Glad you have good results and confidence in your health! I think if you know your body you can be confident on how you are doing! The dress, skirt and cardigan are so cute! I think you will have a great trip this summer! I didn't exactly know what a spring capsule was until you explained it!

Hey D! I have been away from the DIS for a little while, but I am all caught up on your TR. First, the trip look so fun- so far. I am waiting for it...It looks like the girls had a lot of fun on their solo USO day despite the cold. And your trip with Suzie and Family looks so fun and relaxing! You have been sewing away! I had to check out the patterns for pirates page after seeing your tops. I might attempt a top for myself sometime soon? Knits scare me so much. I guess first I will have to see if I can find the right kind of fabric here. Your trip outfits are so cute. I love the floral combinations! I just want to say that I am saying a prayer for your health results. I am glad you are feeling well and have confidence in your health providers. That can make such a difference. I'm sorry that you have had to go through this. I'm sending you lots of love and prayers for health and peace of mind. :hug:

We've had some eventful weeks here. After lots of meetings and evaluations, we finally got Quinn set up to start early start pre-school after her birthday. We got her enrolled in EFMP (exceptional family member program) but we still don't know if/how that will affect our orders. Besides that, Jason's Dad passed away. We've been dealing with all the things and planning that goes with that. The family decided to hold off on a funeral and do a memorial in the Spring. So, we've been able to coordinate with the Red Cross to get "emergency leave" and they are paying for all of us to fly to WA state for the memorial the first week of April. It will be bittersweet to be back in the states for a sad reason.
In happy, Disney news, though- we are going to Hong Kong Disneyland for Memorial Day Weekend! It is the smallest park, but also the least crowded. I hope this makes for a relaxed and enjoyable few days. We are staying at the Explorer's Lodge on site. I am excited to have a Disney trip on the horizon, even if it is just a short one.

Looking forward to more updates when you get to them. Take care!

Sorry to hear about your health scare! So happy to hear that it checked out OK but I'm sure it's still a bit unnerving. You look great and feeling good is always a plus! Your new clothes look fabulous! Especially love the dress - such a cute style and it looks very flattering on you. How does one make a cardigan? You're a very talented seamstress! In Sept. we're taking a 2 week river cruise in Europe. I've started to think how I can pack lightly because after the cruise we're extending the trip by 5 days and we'll be on our own lugging our stuff on/off the train, from the train station to/from the hotel. Trying to think how I can coordinate outfits and not have to wear black every day. Never heard it called a capsule wardrobe - interesting! I'll have to check that out. Anxious for more TR installments but dreading what's to come ....... Hope you have a great weekend!

You are so talented. The clothes you've made looks great.
So sorry to hear about the lump in your brest. But I'm glad to hear the test results are coming back great.
Crossing my fingers that the tests you are still waiting the results on are fine.

Thoughts and prayers for continued good news on the health front.

I also have to explore this capsule concept. Where have you had the best luck with patterns that actually fit? I have one or two dresses that I love and I am thinking of attempting to make a pattern from them, but saving myself the work would be the best. I'm not a leggings person, so I prefer knee length shift dresses especially for work. I don't need to flash the parking lot when a wind gust comes up and I am in a full skirt.

Again, best wishes for your health.

I pack like you because I never know what I'll feel like wearing but usually ended up wearing the same things over and over. Your skirt and dresses are very cute.
Sorry about your health scare. I know what it feels like to have go through that as I've done it twice. Breast lumps run in my family as my mom and sister also have had it happen to them. My mom once told the doctors that she'd have nothing left because she'd had so many.8 and love it
In other news, I just got a new phone. I didn't want one but my Galaxy wouldn't hold a charge anymore. I got an Iphone and,my daughter love it.
Sunday my daughter, niece, and I did a 5k. It was freezing. i finished first in my age group and that was 8 minutes ahead of them.
Have a good day
Liz

I'm happy your results are good so far, and hope the rest will be good too. Boy you've really been busy making clothes and they look great on you.

Everything is going pretty well with my husband and his follow up with the cardiologist was good. He will be on medication for at least a year, but he told him if he continues to lose weight he thinks he will be at least able to get off the high blood pressure meds. He told him to lose 40 pounds so that is his goal and he is losing but slowly. We are eating better and I am now exercising for 20 minutes twice a day. I am losing slowly too, but at a regular rate and I hope to keep it off.

Looking forward to your next installment.

You busy little bee, you!! Love all of the things you've been making! It does SOUND good in theory to only have 9 pieces of clothing to mix and match, but let's be honest, I'd never be able to survive on 9 either!

Sending a great big hug to you for all you're working through right now. I'm glad you have the DIS crew here for some semblance of support! Love ya, D!!

I love your capsule! Such a cute idea! The dress (and you!) is adorable!! I just love that!

Glad to hear all testing has come back normal and that you are feeling great about it. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers! <3

Dorine; so far so good in all of your testing; hang in there. You can find this to be a safe place to vent. Keep us updated please. My mom had benign tumors off and on for a long time. I have not, so far so good. The doctor told her to be diligent with her mammograms, which she was. Hope your other tests are okay Dorine. Prayers. Always prayers. That I firmly believe in.

Your grandmother is 98? Whoa. She looks amazing.

Hope your planning and packing get you more excited for your trip Dorine; this is already March; where is this year flying off to?

Have a wonderful weekend Dorine. Sending love.

Hi I finally had a chance to catch up. I'm loving all the clothing that you have made. I'm sending healthy vibes your way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter