Service dog questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyBigSis

Earning My Ears
Let me start off by saying that I'm sorry this is so long. Before you get sucked into this my questions are mainly for those with history or experience with service dogs and mainly those who have gone to WDW with said dogs. But feel free to give advice or opinions even if you don't. I need all the input I can get! Thanks in advance!

So recently my doctor had "prescribed" me a service dog for my PTSD. It is important to know that she is a psychiatric support animal and NOT an emotional support animal. I'm not knocking ESAs but my dog is not there to simply make me happier and less angry or anxious she is there to help me walk out my door every morning with out being afraid, help me sleep at night, and is trained to help me calm down if I'm having an episode in public. The biggest thing she does for me though is help me get out of my apartment every morning and helps me feel safe through out the day. I've gotten pretty good with out her, I don't take her EVERY where with me unless I'm having a particularly "weak" couple of days.

With that being said, My family is going to WDW in October. It will be me, my immediate family (7 of us), my brother in law, my newborn nephew (who will be staying in the hotel each day), and my boyfriend. I would like to leave her behind but I've decided that it's safer for me to bring her so that I don't have an episode and ruin everyone's vacation. Also, if the parks are harder for me to be in than I anticipated then it's good to at least have the option of having her with me.

So here are my questions:

1. I've only had her for about two months officially. I'm still not extremely comfortable bringing INTO public places. Unless I absolutely need her I usually leave her tied up outside with a toy and some water, or I simply just don't go. I know that there's a law allowing service animals into public spaces for a reason. But since she doesn't help me see or alert seizures I almost feel like I'm taking advantage of those laws by bringing her in places dogs are not normally permitted. I've also noticed Drika's work isn't visible to most so the few times I've taken her into places dogs shouldn't be I get really dirty looks. I've only been confronted once. My question is, if I feel I need to take her with me into the parks one or all days how are CMs when is comes to dealing with Service Dogs? I plan to carry proof of her training, a doctors note, and this card with the law on it that I was given just incase. Technically, according US law I don't need any of it. But it's also really traumatic for me to have to deal with confrontation when it comes to her and talking about my PTSD. Should I prepare myself for the CMs to give me trouble or will a simple "she's a service dog" suffice?

2. If I do need to bring her into the parks how does the riders swap work with a service dog? Can I forego the riders swap and simply tie her up on the exit side of the ride for the few rides that she can't go on?

3. With the exception of roller coasters service dogs are allowed on rides. Does anyone with a service dog have experience actually bringing their service dogs onto the rides? I mean out dogs are trained REALLY well but one of Drika's jobs is to protect me non-violently. The first week I had her she actually had a chance to display what that meant... Basically a lot of growling to tell someone who is acting threatening to back off. She would never actually attack someone I think unless they attack me first. That's what I was told when I did my training. But I could only imagine her finding at least Pirates or the Haunted mansion fairly threatening. I don't want to ruin any other guests experience by Drika trying to protect me from an animatronic. (For you who don't have any experience with service dogs don't worry, she was trained to NEVER attack or "protect" me from children.)

4. This question is for anyone with pet allergies... Are there any tricks you've used to help you be in a confined space with an animal you're allergic to? While Drika doesn't shed she still produces dander and my mother is actually allergic. She plans on getting this shot her doctor recommended. It won't cure the problem but it will also help a great deal. He also told her she could take OTC allergy medicine while on it. We booked a multi-room suite I plan on trying to just keep her as confined as possible unless my mom shows signs of being okay. Also, since I don't PLAN on bringing her into the parks I've booked her a spot in the doggy day care they have near the parks. So I'm hoping her not being in the room will keep the dander at a minimum.

Sorry,

5. Obviously the parks and the resorts weren't built and designed with dogs in mind. I always clean up after her but are there very many areas that a dog can do it's business?

That's it. I'm pretty nervous about this. Anything you have to add would be greatly appreciated.

Have you looked on the disABILITIES board? They have several threads about this, I think a stinky, and will be a lot of help. Several DISers have service dogs and have brought them with them. That would be your best place for information!

Have you looked on the disABILITIES board? They have several threads about this, I think a stinky, and will be a lot of help. Several DISers have service dogs and have brought them with them. That would be your best place for information!

No! I didn't even notice that! Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

I agree with asking on the disAbilities board.

The only question I think I can answer is that no, you likely will not be able to leave your dog unaccompanied anywhere (tie them to a fence or whatever.)

As for their business--I have seen photos if places where the dog can do their businesss--specifically in EPCOT. But I'm pretty sure all 4 parks have them. DisAbilities may have those locations listed in their FAQ.

Hey everyone... I just posted this to a different board and was redirected here. Im sure these questions have been answered already... I did a thread search but nothing really came up. So I'm sorry but your help would really be appreciated.

Let me start off by saying that I'm sorry this is so long. Before you get sucked into this my questions are mainly for those with history or experience with service dogs and mainly those who have gone to WDW with said dogs. But feel free to give advice or opinions even if you don't. I need all the input I can get! Thanks in advance!

So recently my doctor had "prescribed" me a service dog for my PTSD. It is important to know that she is a psychiatric support animal and NOT an emotional support animal. I'm not knocking ESAs but my dog is not there to simply make me happier and less angry or anxious she is there to help me walk out my door every morning with out being afraid, help me sleep at night, and is trained to help me calm down if I'm having an episode in public. The biggest thing she does for me though is help me get out of my apartment every morning and helps me feel safe through out the day. I've gotten pretty good with out her, I don't take her EVERY where with me unless I'm having a particularly "weak" couple of days. With that being said, My family is going to WDW in October. It will be me, my immediate family (7 of us), my brother in law, my newborn nephew (who will be staying in the hotel each day), and my boyfriend. I would like to leave her behind but I've decided that it's safer for me to bring her so that I don't have an episode and ruin everyone's vacation. Also, if the parks are harder for me to be in than I anticipated then it's good to at least have the option of having her with me. So here are my questions:

1. I've only had her for about two months officially. I'm still not extremely comfortable bringing INTO public places. Unless I absolutely need her I usually leave her tied up outside with a toy and some water, or I simply just don't go. I know that there's a law allowing service animals into public spaces for a reason. But since she doesn't help me see or alert seizures I almost feel like I'm taking advantage of those laws by bringing her in places dogs are not normally permitted. I've also noticed Drika's work isn't visible to most so the few times I've taken her into places dogs shouldn't be I get really dirty looks. I've only been confronted once. My question is, if I feel I need to take her with me into the parks one or all days how are CMs when is comes to dealing with Service Dogs? I plan to carry proof of her training, a doctors note, and this card with the law on it that I was given just incase. Technically, according US law I don't need any of it. But it's also really traumatic for me to have to deal with confrontation when it comes to her and talking about my PTSD. Should I prepare myself for the CMs to give me trouble or will a simple "she's a service dog" suffice?

2. If I do need to bring her into the parks how does the riders swap work with a service dog? Can I forego the riders swap and simply tie her up on the exit side of the ride for the few rides that she can't go on?

3. With the exception of roller coasters service dogs are allowed on rides. Does anyone with a service dog have experience actually bringing their service dogs onto the rides? I mean our dogs are trained REALLY well but one of Drika's jobs is to protect me non-violently. The first week I had her she actually had a chance to display what that meant... Basically a lot of growling to tell someone who is acting threatening to back off. She would never actually attack someone I think unless they attack me first. That's what I was told when I did my training. But I could only imagine her finding at least Pirates or the Haunted mansion fairly threatening. I don't want to ruin any other guests experiences by Drika trying to protect me from an animatronic. (For you who don't have any experience with service dogs don't worry, she was trained to NEVER attack or "protect" me from children.)

4. This question is for anyone with pet allergies... Are there any tricks you've used to help you be in a confined space with an animal you're allergic to? While Drika doesn't shed she still produces dander and my mother is actually allergic. She plans on getting this shot her doctor recommended. It won't cure the problem but it will also help a great deal. He also told her she could take OTC allergy medicine while on it. We booked a multi-room suite I plan on trying to just keep her as confined as possible unless my mom shows signs of being okay. Also, since I don't PLAN on bringing her into the parks I've booked her a spot in the doggy day care they have near the parks. So I'm hoping her not being in the room will keep the dander at a minimum.

Also, the words I use to describe myself (weak, manic, etc) are words I use only to describe myself and MY PTSD not anyone else or their condition. They are words I'm comfortable with for myself and the words I think get the point across best when speaking to other about something's that's hard for me to talk about. I don't want to offend anyone else with PTSD. I don't think you're weak or manic. I'm not blanketing PTSD with these words. I'm only talking about my condition and not yours or someone you know.

I just want make that clear.

I am not 100% sure about this, but you may need to kennel her if she is not with you in the parks. I m not sure you can leave the dog alone in the room. Would be okay to leave dog with people staying behind with nephew though, if they are okay with it.

I would expect that any dog that growls or threatens another guest, whether trained to do so or not, would be ejected from the park.

At least, I would hope so.

10. Q: What if a service animal barks or growls at other people, or otherwise acts out of control?

A: You may exclude any animal, including a service animal, from your facility when that animal's behavior poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others. For example, any service animal that displays vicious behavior towards other guests or customers may be excluded. You may not make assumptions, however, about how a particular animal is likely to behave based on your past experience with other animals. Each situation must be considered individually.
Although a public accommodation may exclude any service animal that is out of control, it should give the individual with a disability who uses the service animal the option of continuing to enjoy its goods and services without having the service animal on the premises.

http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm

Your dog is TRAINED to growl at people? Is that correct?

She is trained to stand in between me and people approaching me to provide me a level of comfort. She is trained to growl at someone who may be attempting to assault me. This is a very extreme case. She never growls at people who are just around me, people who hug me or when my boyfriend and I are messing around and wrestling, etc. The one time she's had to do it the man was acting very irate. Asked me for money and when I denied him he asked to see my purse to prove it to him. I asked him to leave me alone then he became aggressive. Started yelling and reached out to grab my hair. It was only at this point she started growling lowly. It honestly reminded me of a dog I had as a kid who would playfully growl when playing tug a war. When I told the guy who trained her about the incident he told me she was trained to protect me. He assured me she would only become physical if I were in harms way or called for her to help me.

A LOT of service dogs are trained to protect their handlers. Look it up.

She's not going to growl at people passing by me or someone that just approaches me but if someone is acting tense, becoming aggressive verbally or physically, or physically hurting me she will growl.

She also never growls at the door being knocked on. Hell I've never heard her bark I don't think. Once a little girl accidentally stepped on her paw. She yelped quickly, but continued to sit still. When the little girl came over to apologize to her she did nothing but greet the girl sweetly and calmly.

I would expect that any dog that growls or threatens another guest, whether trained to do so or not, would be ejected from the park. At least, I would hope so.

Again. She's doesn't just growl at random people. She's trained only to do so toward only people who become aggressive to me. It was one time late at night when a man I'm almost certain wasn't completely mentally stable tried to essentially rob me when I was walking to my car.

A dog that is trained to growl and bark at people to intimidate them doesn't belong in Disney World or any public places.

A dog that is trained to growl and bark at people to intimidate them doesn't belong in Disney World or any public places.

With the exception of the fact that she is a TRAINED SERVICE dog. Many service dogs are trained to protect their handlers.

If someone tries to attack me at the park not only would I expect my dog to react but I would also expect the police to be called and for that man or woman to be banned from parks for life. If someone became aggressive and a father or husband stepped in to intimidate the person doing the assaulting then it would be the same thing. At least I have a leash for her if the situation were to ever get out of control. Not that it ever would because she is trained to listen to me above anything else.

And you don't know anything about my dog or my situation. Her training. Nothing, you were there the night she growled at the man trying to assault me. You're focusing on the wrong part of all of this. It's not your place to say what my dog should and should not be trained to do. At least she trained. Maybe you should be more concerned with the "therapy dogs" that have zero training and end up in the park. They are far far far more likely to hurt an adult or a child if something happens that freaks them out.

I posted this thread to get info on how to be polite to other guest with my service dog. Not to have a bunch of people question mine and my dogs ability to control ourselves.

Again. She's doesn't just growl at random people. She's trained only to do so toward only people who become aggressive to me. It was one time late at night when a man I'm almost certain wasn't completely mentally stable tried to essentially rob me when I was walking to my car.

Like animatronics on a ride?

But I could only imagine her finding at least Pirates or the Haunted mansion fairly threatening. I don't want to ruin any other guests experiences by Drika trying to protect me from an animatronic.

My question is, if I feel I need to take her with me into the parks one or all days how are CMs when is comes to dealing with Service Dogs? I plan to carry proof of her training, a doctors note, and this card with the law on it that I was given just incase. Technically, according US law I don't need any of it. But it's also really traumatic for me to have to deal with confrontation when it comes to her and talking about my PTSD. Should I prepare myself for the CMs to give me trouble or will a simple "she's a service dog" suffice?
You'll want to be prepared to answer the question "what tasks does she perform?" You don't have to talk about your PTSD, just her tasks.

No. You can rider swap. There may be a portable kennel. You cannot leave her unattended, and CMs can't keep her for you.

But I could only imagine her finding at least Pirates or the Haunted mansion fairly threatening. I don't want to ruin any other guests experiences by Drika trying to protect me from an animatronic. (For you who don't have any experience with service dogs don't worry, she was trained to NEVER attack or "protect" me from children.)
This is very concerning. Disney World is a chaotic place, and many innocent events can appear threatening. Having a service dog that is also a protection dog has lead to dogs being put down, as well as significant injuries to innocent people. Having a service dog for PTSD who is also trained a protection dog is generally considered a poor choice, since it encourages hyper vigilance. I would discuss this thoroughly with your trainer and your psychiatrist before your visit.

3. With the exception of roller coasters service dogs are allowed on rides. Does anyone with a service dog have experience actually bringing their service dogs onto the rides? I mean out dogs are trained REALLY well but one of Drika's jobs is to protect me non-violently. The first week I had her she actually had a chance to display what that meant... Basically a lot of growling to tell someone who is acting threatening to back off. She would never actually attack someone I think unless they attack me first. That's what I was told when I did my training. But I could only imagine her finding at least Pirates or the Haunted mansion fairly threatening. I don't want to ruin any other guests experience by Drika trying to protect me from an animatronic. (For you who don't have any experience with service dogs don't worry, she was trained to NEVER attack or "protect" me from children.)

This part of your post distresses me. How can you bring a dog into a crowded, stressful situation like a crowded theme park and make a statement like you think she would never attack someone. And you mention that she was trained to never attack children. What about adults? I have an adult daughter who is justifiably terrified of dogs after being pinned to the ground and attacked by a neighbors pet (who really was trained and should have been friendly, yeah right!). We would need assistance if you were to come near her with your dog in a confined space like a line.

I understand the government has given you rights but I am amazed that no one speaks up for those who have been traumatized by these animals. They may be trained dogs but they are still animals. After experiencing a physical attack from a "trained" animal it is very rational to fear another animal.

This part of your post distresses me. How can you bring a dog into a crowded, stressful situation like a crowded theme park and make a statement like you think she would never attack someone. And you mention that she was trained to never attack children. What about adults? I have an adult daughter who is justifiably terrified of dogs after being pinned to the ground and attacked by a neighbors pet (who really was trained and should have been friendly, yeah right!). We would need assistance if you were to come near her with your dog in a confined space like a line. I understand the government has given you rights but I am amazed that no one speaks up for those who have been traumatized by these animals. They may be trained dogs but they are still animals. After experiencing a physical attack from a "trained" animal it is very rational to fear another animal.

The "I think" part was meant to be because she is trained to NEVER attack anyone. She is supposed to protect me non- violently. However, if I were in a life or death situation it seems off to me that any dog would just sit near by and watch as I was attacked. She is trained to growl to warn someone becoming physically aggressive with me but that is all.

As for children I simply meant that she would never mistake a child as a threat. I have a much younger sister (age 5) who one day got very mad at me and punched me in the leg. She's 5 and hasn't learned better yet. What I'm saying is drika is trained to recognize that she's not a threat. So she doesn't try and protect me from something that doesn't need protecting from. If your daughter came up to me and tried to/ succeeded in hurting me though Drika most certainly would growl and put her self between us. But that would be your daughter fault for attempting to hurt someone. But again... She would have to be actually trying to assault me before she resorted to growling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter