Served alcohol at the parks without being asked for ID

During our 4th of July trip, we rented a cabana at the Poly. Since we could order food and drinks via a server, we brought nothing down. Low and behold I ordered a drink and they wouldn't serve me without ID. Our children range from 10-22. :P Off I went back to the room to get my ID, come back and DH had 2 drinks in hand, just by walking up to the bar and ordering. Annoyed: yes. Do I get it: yes. I never went anywhere over the next 2 weeks without my ID and never got asked for it again. :upsidedow

OMG, calm down. It was my very first onsite stay, first interaction with a magic band and my parents first time to a Disney park EVER.

I'm so sick of the "chastise police" on these boards telling people what they already know.

That's why included the comment in parenthesis.

So you admitted your family did this and I am the "bad party" LOL!

Hmm....

I work in healthcare. I am so sick of having to identify john does.. We are even!

I don't think I was carded at all on my last trip...but then again, the grey streak in my hair may make the servers feel secure.:rotfl:

I started going grey in high school. I'll never forget my friend plucking my first grey hair out of my head during English class freshman year. It was bad enough that I started dying it before I got married at 23. I was completely grey before I turned 30. Thank goodness for the hair dye!

I almost always get carded at home, but our law is to card if the person looks under 40 (which I am). I bought alcohol twice at Disney in May. I can't remember if I was carded but I don't think I was. I was a little surprised...I can definitely pass for much younger than I am (again...hair dye).

Hmm....

I work in healthcare. I am so sick of having to identify john does.. We are even!

Everyone has run out in their lives with out their ID. While emergency responders may not be able tonsay who someone is their family and the Cast Members who call the first responders can. No need to lecture others on something that comes from Disney's marketing (hey all you need is your magicband! It can do everything!). This is coming from someone who tries hard to make sure I always have proper ID including texting people if I change seats on a plane just in case.

Hmm....

Wow.
A) Disney itself pushes that the magic band is a way to go without.
B) this was June 2014. Magic bands were a new thing. There weren't copious amounts of threads telling you what to carry AND I refer back to item A.
C) I don't know how other states are, but in Texas, you don't get an ID until you get your first license, get a state issued ID for a specific reason OR happen have a school or work ID. That means there are a vast majority of Texas running around without a form of ID anyway. Plus, if I were traveling I wouldn't think to pack every item I own that IDs me or write it on in sharpie marker or make a temp tattoo like a kid.

We just got back from a trip with our DD. She is 19, but looks much older, always has. She was offered alcoholic drinks many times at different WDW locations, she would tell the waiter, no thank you I am only 19.

Maybe because DH and I were ordering alcoholic drinks, the wait staff assumed she was old enough. I think it was very poor judgement by the wait staff to not ask for ID before offering an alcoholic beverage.

Hmm....

You should change jobs. You are far too stressed by the idea of someone going to Fantasy land without multiple forms of identification.
Just curious, how many John Doe's have you had to identify at WDW?

We just got back from a trip with our DD. She is 19, but looks much older, always has. She was offered alcoholic drinks many times at different WDW locations, she would tell the waiter, no thank you I am only 19.

Maybe because DH and I were ordering alcoholic drinks, the wait staff assumed she was old enough. I think it was very poor judgement by the wait staff to not ask for ID before offering an alcoholic beverage.

8 states allow underage children to drink on alcohol-selling premises, with parental approval: In some states, underage consumption of alcohol is allowed on an alcohol-selling premise, such as a restaurant or a bar, if the alcohol is furnished to the minor by a legal guardian and if the minor is in the presence of his or her legal guardian.

Connecticut, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nevada, Ohio, Texas, Wisconsin, Wyoming.
There are exceptions the the legal drinking age in 45 states (http://drinkingage.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=002591#H).

I'm an international guest so always carry at least a copy of my passport plus driver's license in WDW. Even though I never feel like I'm traveling in another country when I'm in the US :-) because Canada is so alike, I need to carry I.D.

@OrangeCountyCommuter is getting a rough ride here. She raises a legitimate point. Everyone should have some form of I.D. with them wherever they travel whether in their own home state or abroad. It just makes sense esp if a medical emergency. Emergencies do happen & having I.D. is critical. She sees unidentified patients in her line of work. Everyone wants and needs fast, lifesaving medical assistance when we need it. It's up to us to carry sufficient I.D. to allow emergency responders and hospitals to help us. Magic bands or not. We have to take responsibility for our own well being.

I can't blame him there

Which does bring up something I've heard, here I think, as I understand it, technically foreign guests are supposed to have their passports as their ID. I can't imagine carrying that around. Seems like a risky thing to loose, no? Surely they have something else that can be used for proof of age, no?

It is pretty annoying, some places will accept a photo copy where some won't, we go each fall and I really am not comfortable carrying it everywhere, I am 42 and have been out righted denied a few times. I accept that. and I understand the law. If I really want a drink will take them with us, like to food and wine lol

18 in Quebec and Alberta!
and Manitoba!!!

Everyone should get ID'd
or if on dining plan, there should be an indicator somewhere server can see. ??

And how are they selling dining plan with alcohol availability to a minor??
Confused.
My DS who's above age always ( annoyingly to him) gets asked.
I say.. be thankful
I never get carded :( lol

I'm an international guest so always carry at least a copy of my passport plus driver's license in WDW. Even though I never feel like I'm traveling in another country when I'm in the US :-) because Canada is so alike, I need to carry I.D.

@OrangeCountyCommuter is getting a rough ride here. She raises a legitimate point. Everyone should have some form of I.D. with them wherever they travel whether in their own home state or abroad. It just makes sense esp if a medical emergency. Emergencies do happen & having I.D. is critical. She sees unidentified patients in her line of work. Everyone wants and needs fast, lifesaving medical assistance when we need it. It's up to us to carry sufficient I.D. to allow emergency responders and hospitals to help us. Magic bands or not. We have to take responsibility for our own well being.

Last time I checked, EMS/EMT/First Responders, and the ER never said, "Oh, we don't have a name, so don't treat this one."

Last time I checked, EMS/EMT/First Responders, and the ER never said, "Oh, we don't have a name, so don't treat this one."
EMS may not ask. The hospital you are taken to will ask. They ultimately have to figure out what insurance coverage you have and need to contact next of kin. Wonderful that you get emerg care. Not so wonderful if your family don't know where you are & if you are an international visitor, that the bills pile up without your travel insurer being able to step in and get it sorted before you are handed a $50K plus bill. Not exaggerating on that figure.

EMS may not ask. The hospital you are taken to will ask. They ultimately have to figure out what insurance coverage you have and need to contact next of kin. Wonderful that you get emerg care. Not so wonderful if your family don't know where you are & if you are an international visitor, that the bills pile up without your travel insurer being able to step in and get it sorted before you are handed a $50K plus bill. Not exaggerating on that figure.

Having that ID isn't the ONLY thing they have to have. I give up with this.

Attention everyone, from now on carry every form of ID you can find, sharpie your name, Ssn, blood type and insurance info all over your body (in case of arriving in pieces)---wait! Better tattoo! It's permanent on most body parts. Better include a next of kin name, address, phone and email too. And put those shoe tags and bracelets parents put on kids. Be sure to tell people in line this info as well, because you never know, maybe your belongings, clothes and skin will be separated from you.

IMG_0376.JPG

I'm not even nineteen yet so don't even think to order drinks for myself, but being from WI, nobody would blink an eye if my dad ordered a drink for me when we were dining out, which he does frequently. Since he's also a bartender, I've been able to order drinks for him and myself from her bartender buddies when we're dining out somewhere and he knows the bartender.

It'll be an interesting adjustment in Florida.

Since I do not drive (born and raised in NYC which makes me "special" in different ways, LOL) I always carry my passport wherever I am. This practice simplifies my life in case someone thinks I'm suffering from Benjamin Button-itis or they are blind.

Since I do not drive (born and raised in NYC which makes me "special" in different ways, LOL) I always carry my passport wherever I am. This practice simplifies my life in case someone thinks I'm suffering from Benjamin Button-itis or they are blind.
As a small town girl I can't fathom a world where one didn't have to drive to go anywhere but if I did live somewhere where that was possible I think I'd have to get a state ID so I didn't have to carry my passport around. Maybe I just loose things more than others do

I am a server at WDW. I card almost everyone. If I serve an under age, I will lose my job and could go to jail. If I card you and you don't have an ID, I can not serve you. If I do and the person at the table is a "shopper", I will be fired. I have to complete an online responsible vendor course a couple of times a year stating that I understand these rules. Many servers and bartenders may do differently but my job is not worth selling you the drink. Recently I witnessed a Dad give his drink to his 8 year old and had a 19 year old girl cry and stomp out of the restaurant because she couldn't have a drink from the bar.

I am a server at WDW. I card almost everyone. If I serve an under age, I will lose my job and could go to jail. If I card you and you don't have an ID, I can not serve you. If I do and the person at the table is a "shopper", I will be fired. I have to complete an online responsible vendor course a couple of times a year stating that I understand these rules. Many servers and bartenders may do differently but my job is not worth selling you the drink. Recently I witnessed a Dad give his drink to his 8 year old and had a 19 year old girl cry and stomp out of the restaurant because she couldn't have a drink from the bar.
Good for you! Everyone should be as responsible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter