Served alcohol at the parks without being asked for ID

I can't blame him there

Which does bring up something I've heard, here I think, as I understand it, technically foreign guests are supposed to have their passports as their ID. I can't imagine carrying that around. Seems like a risky thing to loose, no? Surely they have something else that can be used for proof of age, no?

They took my license after a brain injury and used my passport. I travel a lot internationally, so it never freaked me out, my mom (who took me a lot of places then) was constantly asking me if I had it...I did.

I've been carded everywhere in WDW when I'm alone and never with a companion, I do NOT look under 21. I remember buying a bottle of wine and small bottle of vodka in the YC giftshop in 2015 on my Magic Band and they gave it to me, after I said, really, my full name is x, I'm in y room, checking in z and out zz. Look at my wrinkles, I'm good. I was very obviously coming back from the pool and had nothing but an ipad on me. The next day I was at the pool and my then husband was in the room sleeping - no ID. I had to go back to get a mojito. I get it, but I'm not baby faced, so I think with WDW its very much about the moment you're there and the CM. Same ex had a beard and was a year + younger than me - never carded?

The only time I've been annoyed about the ID thing - is that I'm not young, and at the pool. I don't want to worry about replacing an ID while I'm in the pool. An ipad is easy to replace, an ID while traveling, less so.

It's unusual because most people would get a state ID vs a passport or they would have both. If you're traveling a lot internationally I get it but I would personally still get a non-drivers license.

FWIW currently to renew a passport it is $110 for just the application fee.

Yeah and to expedite it, which we have had to do twice (DH and DD) adds a huge chunk of change, about another $75. So if it were your only ID you would have to pay the expedite fees. I'll take $13 over $200 any day.

This alcohol is worse than heroin obsession is just too weird for me as a New Orleanian. I accept that the laws must be followed (unless we are talking about illegal immigration), but it's just still very alien to me.

When I was in college (in New Orleans where 18 was legal) we did NOT have binge drinking. No one had a nervous breakdown because someone had a drink. My peers in states where drinking was illegal were getting blackout drunk on a regular basis because one had to finish off that bottle. Unlike my peers and I who had one or two social drinks like normal people.

When I moved to Arkansas to take care of my elderly father I tried to buy some beer one day at Target. Alarms went off - it was Sunday so no beer could be sold. I'd been there about 4-5 years but never knew that. Now at Target everyone no matter how old had to show an ID. I laugh because I am very, very old - in my 70s with a walker or ECV but I have to show that ID.

I will go to my grave thinking that it is not a mortal sin for a legal adult (18 years old) to have an ounce or two of alcohol.

I was at the Merry and Bright Osborne Lights Dessert Party back in Nov '15 and got carded by the bartender. I was 45 at the time and thought he was joking, I didn't think about needing my license since I had my magic band - but he was very serious that he wouldn't serve me. However, my husband (who was 46 at the time) was served without question. Ever since I take my license with me wherever I go at Disney.

Yeah and to expedite it, which we have had to do twice (DH and DD) adds a huge chunk of change, about another $75. So if it were your only ID you would have to pay the expedite fees. I'll take $13 over $200 any day.
Ouch! That must be painful losing a passport twice.
The expediting fees are new.
Once upon a time the NYC passport agency was located in Rockefeller Center @ the "Atlas building". It involved walking cool marble lined hallways surrounded by the travel offices of exotic locations which just made it more fun to imagine new places to go at a later date. You arrived in the morning, showed the clerk your airplane ticket and presto! you picked up your passport the latest, next day, with no extra fee. Heck, I once went with a friend to apply for a passport just because it was fun. I have to say the appointment service @ Hudson Street is more efficient but it hasn't the charm of the original locale and no lunch at Saks 5th Avenue either.

This alcohol is worse than heroin obsession is just too weird for me as a New Orleanian. I accept that the laws must be followed (unless we are talking about illegal immigration), but it's just still very alien to me.

When I was in college (in New Orleans where 18 was legal) we did NOT have binge drinking. No one had a nervous breakdown because someone had a drink. My peers in states where drinking was illegal were getting blackout drunk on a regular basis because one had to finish off that bottle. Unlike my peers and I who had one or two social drinks like normal people.

When I moved to Arkansas to take care of my elderly father I tried to buy some beer one day at Target. Alarms went off - it was Sunday so no beer could be sold. I'd been there about 4-5 years but never knew that. Now at Target everyone no matter how old had to show an ID. I laugh because I am very, very old - in my 70s with a walker or ECV but I have to show that ID.

I will go to my grave thinking that it is not a mortal sin for a legal adult (18 years old) to have an ounce or two of alcohol.

I remember binge drinking being in vogue back in the 70's/'80's at my upstate NY university. 'Course there a lot to do in Ithaca back then and I seem to recall it was mostly a frat thing but I wasn't a member of that crowd.
I have no problem with Disney or any other place following local laws as it relates to drinking and it's unfortunate that a few make it harder for the many but it is what it is.

Ouch! That must be painful losing a passport twice.
The expediting fees are new.
Once upon a time the NYC passport agency was located in Rockefeller Center @ the "Atlas building". It involved walking cool marble lined hallways surrounded by the travel offices of exotic locations which just made it more fun to imagine new places to go at a later date. You arrived in the morning, showed the clerk your airplane ticket and presto! you picked up your passport the latest, next day, with no extra fee. Heck, I once went with a friend to apply for a passport just because it was fun. I have to say the appointment service @ Hudson Street is more efficient but it hasn't the charm of the original locale and no lunch at Saks 5th Avenue either.

Not lost. Neither had realized they had expired (DD because we didn't know kids passports don't last as long) and both were heading out of country. They went to a regional passport office and yup there are lots of fees. This was years ago.

Here are the fees. There is nothing under $110 then you add the appropriate fees, and I think day-of we had to pay on top of that.

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/passports/FeeChart/Passport Fees Chart_TSG_January 2017.pdf

Last edited:
Not lost. Neither had realized they had expired (DD because we didn't know kids passports don't last as long) and both were heading out of country. They went to a regional passport office and yup there are lots of fees. This was years ago.

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/passports/FeeChart/Passport Fees Chart_TSG_January 2017.pdf
My husband had to have his passport expedited when his company sent him to Canada with not so much notice (It was a one day he was called into his boss's office and a "hey in 4 weeks you're needed in Saskatchewan" was told to him). My mother-in-law and sister-in-law had theirs when they planned a Jamaica trip as more of a last minute thing. Thankfully though neither though had to do in-person "need in a hurry" process.

When we knew we were going out of the country for our honeymoon I got mine 2 1/2 months in advance though mine came 2 weeks later. But I wouldn't count on getting it quicker than the 6-8 weeks they advise is the approximate time for routine service (meaning non-expedited service).

Here's my experience with my 22 year old son last July:

My 22 year old son and I went to Disney last July. He always carried his ID with him, if he wanted to order a drink. We ate at Shula's our first night. I ordered a drink for myself and the waiter asked my son if he wanted a soda. When my son ordered an alcoholic drink and presented his ID, the waiter acted very uncomfortable getting my son the drink. I don't think we were imagining it, but I noticed a different attitude from the waiter afterwards. Then a man in a suit walked past our table several times. This man, probably a manager, smiled but I couldn't help but wonder if we were being watched. I think my son ordered two drinks.

Our dinner at Narcoosees went like this: The waiter asked us what we wanted to drink. My son ordered a drink and when my son automatically presented his ID without being asked, the waiter quickly glanced at it and said that's fine. Then when my son ordered a second drink, the waiter said something like, "you look a lot younger than 21", he said it lightly but he apparently had second thoughts. We did enjoy our dinner and he was a good waiter. He didn't make us feel uncomfortable.

We ate dinner at the Boathouse and the waiter checked my son's ID but was fine with everything. The waiter appeared to be a younger guy and he kept asking my son if he wanted another drink whenever my son finished his drink. I think my son had 2 or 3 drinks and that's when I even said that's probably enough.

We attended the Starwars Galactic Fireworks Dessert Party. My son automatically showed his ID whenever we went to the bar. The bartender was fine with serving him. We actually both had quite a few. These drinks seemed weak but by the time the fireworks started, I realized the drinks were not really that weak.

I certainly expected my son to be carded and my son expected this as well. The only place it felt awkward was at Shulas. I really feel the waiter didn't believe my son was over 21. However, we had a great meal and it certainly didn't detract from the experience.

I haven't been carded in WDW since a trip in my early 20's which was a very long time ago. However other than the pool bar I always have ID on me.I have been carded at a local Wegman liquors store but they card everyone. Same with a few restaurants we go to & the occasional concession stand at a game , you can tell the servers are under orders to card everyone so it doesn't bother me.

Who knew that using a passport as ID was so unusual, LOL?

It's as convenient to me as a driver's license and multi-functional to boot. I do a bit of traveling for business and pleasure so need it no matter the cost and think I paid about 70 bucks to renew it the last time which would work out to $7.00 annually. The one time since the late '70's to date that I misplaced it, got another in less than 72 hours but there's a local US Passport Agency here. If I lost it overseas there would be no lessening of replacement time if I flashed a state or municipal ID.

IrishNYC, I too have no idea what a NYCID looks like or where to get one:). What part of NYC are you in/from? Me, born in the Bronx, raised my kiddos in Park Slope, now living on the UWS and prolly on my way to Riverdale (we sold the Manhattan coop a few months back).

Born and raised in Astoria, now in Bayside.

It's safer to carry an ID than a passport, or at least it used to be, because there's more information associated with a passport that makes it easier for your identity to be stolen. But, in the advent of enhanced drivers' licenses the info in each is about the same. However, a stolen passport can more easily be forged and have a photo switched than a DL.

I don't have an NYCID, either, nor do I know what it looks like. I just know it's available for free, and you can get limited admission/membership to a lot of cultural institutions in NYC for free with it. It's accepted in NYC Public Schools as ID, as well.

I think places outside of NYC would know because it just says on it New York City Identification Card. It also doesn't have a lot of the necessary ID requirements to be accepted as ID for alcohol, tobacco, flying, etc. To me they are pointless.
It's pointless to me, too, and the freebies don't sit well with me, but this isn't the place for that rant. ;)

Born and raised in Astoria, now in Bayside.

It's safer to carry an ID than a passport, or at least it used to be, because there's more information associated with a passport that makes it easier for your identity to be stolen. But, in the advent of enhanced drivers' licenses the info in each is about the same. However, a stolen passport can more easily be forged and have a photo switched than a DL.

I don't have an NYCID, either, nor do I know what it looks like. I just know it's available for free, and you can get limited admission/membership to a lot of cultural institutions in NYC for free with it. It's accepted in NYC Public Schools as ID, as well.

It's pointless to me, too, and the freebies don't sit well with me, but this isn't the place for that rant. ;)
The next time I've some spare time to wander the hallways of bureaucracy I'll take a look into acquiring a NYCID. As the commercial says if it's free it must be good.

I think this is a lifestyle difference/choice that begins and ends with my lack of wanting to drive;). For those who do (and I acknowledge that's most in the US) I think a driver's license is a convenient piece of ID.

So, Queens, the borough, it's residents refuse to acknowledge, eh? Don't you worry about a thing since I still send correspondence to my birth borough conscientiously and defiantly writing "the" w/i the address. I also enjoy playing "snaps" with my cousins from Forest Hills during family holiday get-togethers.

The man is from Plainview, "LawnG Eyelind", so of course he can legally drive me wherever we want to go and roots for the Mets. I love him despite his obvious flaws.

The next time I've some spare time to wander the hallways of bureaucracy I'll take a look into acquiring a NYCID. As the commercial says if it's free it must be good.

I think this is a lifestyle difference/choice that begins and ends with my lack of wanting to drive;). For those who do (and I acknowledge that's most in the US) I think a driver's license is a convenient piece of ID.

So, Queens, the borough, it's residents refuse to acknowledge, eh? Don't you worry about a thing since I still send correspondence to my birth borough conscientiously and defiantly writing "the" w/i the address. I also enjoy playing "snaps" with my cousins from Forest Hills during family holiday get-togethers.

The man is from Plainview, "LawnG Eyelind", so of course he can legally drive me wherever we want to go and roots for the Mets. I love him despite his obvious flaws.

I hate driving, barely do in Nashviile, and if I lived in NYC I'd be perfectly happy never driving again.

FL has strict alcohol laws. I'm surprised Disney isn't making sure employees are more diligent following them. Last year, my daughter had a mocktail at F&W. A security guard stopped her while she was walking around with it and made sure it didn't contain alcohol. I'm originally from WI where a parent can legally buy their child of any age alcohol at a bar. Under 21's just can't buy it themselves. In FL, it's illegal for parents to provide alcohol to their own children under 21, even at home. I've never heard of cops busting into people's private homes, but if a kid has a few beers at home, decides to drive and has an accident, the parents can be charged. Once, at the grocery store, my daughter unloaded beer from the cart on to the checkout conveyor. The clerk scolded her and me, saying he could get fired and the store fined if law enforcement saw it. Apparently, it's illegal to even handle closed containers when you're underage.

Mets fan? Obviously flawed. Much like my own man. ;) Everyone knows the team from the Boogie Down is the only one you should be a fan of.

Here's my experience with my 22 year old son last July:

My 22 year old son and I went to Disney last July. He always carried his ID with him, if he wanted to order a drink. We ate at Shula's our first night. I ordered a drink for myself and the waiter asked my son if he wanted a soda. When my son ordered an alcoholic drink and presented his ID, the waiter acted very uncomfortable getting my son the drink. I don't think we were imagining it, but I noticed a different attitude from the waiter afterwards. Then a man in a suit walked past our table several times. This man, probably a manager, smiled but I couldn't help but wonder if we were being watched.

That seems excessive, especially since he had ID and was with a parent.
Once, at the grocery store, my daughter unloaded beer from the cart on to the checkout conveyor. The clerk scolded her and me, saying he could get fired and the store fined if law enforcement saw it. Apparently, it's illegal to even handle closed containers when you're underage.

Yeah, the same rules apply where I live, but I don't think it's widely known.

We were there a few weeks ago, a group of 4 adults (including my younger brother who is 19). I am 23 and my fiancee is late 20s. It seemed to be that if we both ordered a drink, we would both get carded. If he ordered a drink himself, though, and I didn't (I'm thinking table service meals, as that's when we mostly drank), he wouldn't get carded. He looks obviously over 21, I've been told that I don't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter