Sept 2010..will need it after a graduation and a wedding

Which resort shuld we stay at (mom and 10 year son) ?

• Wilderness Lodge

• Beach Club

• Port Orleans French Quarters

Results are only viewable after voting.

magicaldisney11

Mouseketeer
Hi all,
As my title states we have a lot going on in the next year and it is going to cost me a lot but what the heck....I want to go to Disney too so me and my 10 year old son, Simba are planning a 7 night trip just the two of us for Sept 2010.

I was going to make this a surprise trip but since 50% or more of the fun for me and my gang is the planning I decided to let Simba know and it made a huge difference! He was feeling a little left out since my son Goofy (17 yrs old) is graduating in June 2010, Donald (almost 20 yrs old) is in college 8 hours away, and Mickey (22 yrs old) and Minnie are having thier formal wedding in August 2010. It's everything everyone talks about so I thought we have never done trip alone so here we go!

:rotfl::rotfl:Cast:
Me: 46,single Mom of 4 sons (Simba, Goofy, Donald, Mickey) I work for a private University and have just become a part time home based travel agent specializing in (yep) Disney!

Simba: 10 years old, and the youngest of my mob. We have a special bond because he was only 1 years old when his father and I divorced and I basically have raised him alone.

We are hoping that my sister, Tink travel with us but since it is so far away we are not sure. She goes every year in May and September (DVC owner) but her plans for next year may change.

I don't have to tell you that my other two son's are a bit ticked that we are going but Goofy is going to Germany for 3 weeks with school in the Spring of 2010 and graduating (then college) and Donald will be back in school when we go. They have been to Disney more than Simba because they are much older than him so we are calling this the first of the catch up trip,lol. :rotfl: Mickey is in the Air Force and will be in California with his wife, Minnie when we go.

Another reason for the this trip....we went in May of this year for 9 days and we just so happened to get there with the arrival of a tropical storm that lasted every single day we were in Disney World. This wasn't one of those rain for an hour or so then clear up rains, this was rain for hours and hours and get a little sun for an hour. We never made it to a water park, we went swimming once at the resort (they closed the pool everyday we were there for the lightening) and we wore our poncho's more in the parks than we had them off. I told my kids that I wanted a do over....so I am getting one!

We have so far decided on PO French Quarters from Sept 19th thru the 26 or 27th. It all depends on the funding and if there is free dining. I know since it just the two of us I could just stay at a valu resort but we love POFQ so much that I am leaning that way. I also thought about maybe going to the one resort that I have ALWAY wanted to stay at and that is the Beach Club. It will depend on the specials that come out.

Simba has already told me that we have to eat at the 50's Prime time, Liberty Tree tavern and the Plaza. We went to the Plaza for the first time this May and we loved it there. We were the 100th family of the day and they made a huge fuss over us and gave us free desserts and a certificate. It was a nice sprinkle of pixie dust for the end of our trip.

He is worried that since I don't do roller coasters that he cant go on the RocknRoll Coaster and Everst. I told him I will suck it up and go on them if he goes on the Tower of Terror with me :)

I am hoping this trip will be special for him and not boring since it will only be the two of us (unless Tink goes with us) so lets cross our fingers.

1.) Bring umbrellas from home...they cost $10 a piece at Disney
2.) The Disney rain poncho's are better than the ones from Walmart/Dollar Store
3.) Bring a jacket...even when it's in the 80's it gets chilly/damp when it rains for hours and hours
4.) For us...no more water park packages, we will buy the tickets thre if we end up going. We never got to go in May because of the storms so we wasted that $
5.) Carry flip flops in back pack just in case sneakers get soaked in the parks.
6.) Carry zip lock bags (zipper kind) with a dry washcloth inside for camera's, wallets, etc when the storm gets so bad your backpack gets soaked.

Last night Simba saw me typing on the forum and this brought on his "thinking" mode. When Simba thinks, we all sort of want to run away. He explains every thought and why to all of us several times, in case we didnt understand him the first 10 times,lol.
He informed me (it took 1/2 an hour) that he has been thinking and thinking and wants to try WIlderness Lodge or Beach Club this time (and I am sure I will hear this a million times) since his brothers aren't going it's all about what "we want" not them,lol.:rotfl2:
Do you think my 10 year old is getting tired of his 3 older brother's? LOL

Since Simba really wants to go to WL and I really wanted to go to BC or POFQ I explained to him that we will do some research. He looked at me and said...just ask those people who live in Disney, they'll let you know which is better. By the way...you are all the people that "live" in Disney. He knows that yo really dont live there but he feels like you do since according to him you all get to go there more than we do,lol. In his head...that is not fair. He also thought everyone on this forum knew each other and hung out even when not in Disney.

Anyway...I told Simba that we will book POFQ but if a good special comes out where it would be financially okay for us we will stay at WL or BC. Okay here is the thing...which to choose. After hearing about the buses being shared at BC by Swan, Dolphin, Boardwalk and YC!!!! :headache: and that you cant get to the front entrance of Epcot unless you go to another park or resort get a bus/monorial and then head back over to Epcot Future World, I have almost completly check BC off my list. Still....it is my dream to stay there.

What are your thoughts?

Yay, I'm first to join you in your planning!

That's so cute that he thinks we all know each other and hang out! :rotfl:

I would probably pick WL. It's SO gorgeous! But I'm from the Pacific NW, so perhaps I'm biased. The shared buses at the All Star Resorts were the main reason we chose to stay at Pop. I don't want to deal with Transportation nightmares.

Welcome SilverL!!:cool1:

The other resorts that I have stayed at (CBR, OKW and POFQ) didnt share buses so it amazes me that the deluxes SHARE!!! I am leaning towards WL cuz Simba is so excited about staying there. My only real draw back...we live in the north, we see pine trees and cabins, etc all the time....wanted more of a tropical feel.

Welcome MickeyisBeast!!! :woohoo:

Well it's 90 degrees here in Niagara Falls today and since 99% of our summer has been rain and in the 70's we considered today a heat wave and we were wilting. I am not exaggerating with the weather here. I think it followed me from Disney from May when we had the storms for 9 days.

This also reminds me.....the first 2 times we went to the World we did 7 days, said not enough!!!!!! Of course 7 days is not enough it is actually 5 days if you take the first and last day out cuz of traveling. Then there i sleeping and eating and bus rides, etc so we really only had 3 days (LOL I can get this down to a few hours if I really tried,lol :rotfl2:) so our last 2 trips were 9 days. Not enough for me but my pocket book said ...enough!!!

This trip for me and Simba was suppose to be 5 days, 6 at the most since it was going to be a quick relaxing get away after the grad party, shower, rehearsal, and wedding. :eek: Oh my gosh I am wiped out just thinking about the year ahead of us. I may have to stick a SPA day in there between events! I love a SPA day!!! Of course I have only done them twice but I remember what they felt like.

Back to my train of though..I tend to go off on tangents alot, so be warned!!
Now that I am a home based travel agent I get commissions even for my own trips to Disney (more than the discount by alot) so I extended our trip to Sunday to Sunday (Sept 19th to 26th) what I really want is Saturday to Sunday (18th to 26th) so I think I may have to go out and sell more vacations in order to pay for this one. Eventually I want to have a big enough base clientel (did I spell that right) to pay for .....here it comes....yes......DVC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheer2:
That is my dream in life besides working for Disney as the person who drives the lil golf carts around and just makes sure everyone is having fun. I don;t know if that is a job at Disney but it should be if not. There we go if all the Dis'er's write to Disney and tell them that I want a job that does that...do you think they would do it?

Do you think I am talking too much? Okay I'll stop for now!

When we go to the World we are always with a group/crowd, large hord, etc. Since it will be just me and Simba (and possibly Tink - my older sister) we have decided to try MNSSHP (from here on out will be called Hallo Party,lol)
but this is our chance to do things that we have never done before (like the Hallo Party). I need your help!!!
We do the parks, DTD and Typhoon Lagoon that is it. Need some ideas, please.

HI all....I have a chance of booking 5 families going on vacation next Spring...they are thinking Disney world since the kids in the group go from 6 to 21 years old plus 10 parents. If they go to Disney in April and I get to do the bookings for them (we are very close to closing this deal) then my commission could close to $1800 which would pay for 90% of mine and Simba's trip!!:banana:
I never count on $ until it's in my hand but I am very psyched about this.
I have been dreaming about BC since 1997 and I really really want to stay there. The codes would still have to be great in order for us to stay there but at least with this commission there is a chance that my dream would come true :)

By the way...Simba thinks we are staying for a few days not a whole week and I am saving this for a total surprise. I almost blew it when I was talking Tink in front of him but we covered it really fast and good. He doesn't know the actual dates we are going so I thought I would tell him we are going from Wednesday (Sept. 22nd) to Sunday (Sept. 26th) and then on Saturday (Sept 18th) I will wake him up and tell me we are leaving RIGHT THEN. He wont believe me, seriously, he won't,lol.
You maybe asking yourself...won't even think it is weird that the bags are packed so early? The answer...no...we are usually totally packed weeks before we go :rotfl2: and I mean totally packed. I am a bit anal like that.

We even buy new toothbrushes, etc for the trip and pack everything as soon as we buy them. Our second trip (the first I didn't know what to expect) I was actually packed more than a month before we left. I am very lucky that the kids totally get this about me.

Please let me know if there is anything besides Pirates League and Hallo party that I can surprise him with...normally I have 2 to 4 of my sons with us and the $ is tight but with only 2 of us....ah the possibilities,lol.

Yeah I know...it's too early...don't know park hours...don't know dates of hallo party.....the list goes on and on BUT...going to Disney World keeps me sane and gives me something to look forward to that I have as much fun if not more,lol, than my boys.

Here goes...

Saturday Sept 18th...
breakfast- will be at the Buffalo airport...at 5:00 am!!!
early lunch- Beaches and Cream (at BC) since we won't be in any kind of a rush and we can take our time there. I have tried getting here 4 times that I have gone to WDW and it has never happened.
Dinner - Tony's Town Square (in MK) I know the review's for here are hit and miss but after cancelling our ADR's last trip SImba was upset so I made a promise I intend to keep.

We will walk around Main Street after this and no one (which means older boys that want to "get to the rides already" ) can stop us.

Sunday Sept 19th... Epcot

breakfast - Ohana's - family tradition here on Sunday's
lunch - won't have one really. Simba is NOT a big eater. He eats small amounts all day long (he only weighs 70 pounds at almost 11 years old) so picking in the afternoon will be fine.
Dinner - CS in America in Epcot (Simba loves this place, me not so much)

Monday Sept 20th... DHS

breakfast - the little place next door to Brown Derby (after we get our Toy Story Mania FP's
lunch - CS depending where we are in the park...normally it;s near RnRC cuz they have great salads
dinner- 50's Prime Time

Tuesday Sept 21st... AK
breakfast-after FP's for Everest (I am so not looking forward to that ride) we will hit one of the stands at AK.
lunch - CS at Flaming Tree BBQ
dinner- not sure

Wednesday Sept 22nd... MK
breakfast - CP at MK
lunch- pick..pick..pick
dinner- The Plaza

Thursday Sept 23rd... TL or relax day
breakast - CS at resort
lunch - CS at Typhoon Lagoon or relax day
dinner - Dinosaur place in DTD?

Friday Sept 24th AK
breakfast - CS at resort
lunch - CS in Pizzafari
dinner- Simba's pick...probably in a resort someplace (we like to pick a new one each trip to try

Saturday Sept 25th (Last full day :scared1:) MK
breakast - Main Street in MK
lunch- CS Peco's Bill
dinner - Liberty Tree Tavern...favorite for us ...hands down!

Sunday...we leave so not sure what time or anything.

We have tried so many places over the last 2 trips (coral reef, le celliuer, Rose and Crown, Whispering Canyons, Chef Mickey's, Grand Floridan buffet, Mama Melrose and all of the above) that I am not sure where else I WANT to go. I will keep reading menu's and reviews and see what hits me.

Any suggestions?

Well the first group of my family is landing as I type in WDW. My DSis #1, TINK and her hub along with my Mom. On Monday my brother and his youngest son will be arriving there and on Tuesday my DSis #2 and her daughters will be landing. The only ones left here at home will be me and my gang and my brother's wife and 2 other son's. They are all down there without me :sad2:.

Tink goes every May and Sept and we all go at different times with her and her hub. This is the frist trip to Disney that my Mom is making without my Dad who passed away last year so it will be very sad for her.

Oh well, I have to get ready for a birthday party.

I'm not talking about putting things in a suitcase but am I "out there" by putting things in totes to take with us? I have seen a 100 things i would love to order on line that are "disneyish" but worried I was over doing too early.

I have gotten a few calls from my family that is in WDW as we speak. Yesterday they were at O'Hana's having the family traditional brunch there and of course loving it! I was a bit depressed but I Simba told me last night that we "just have to look forward to our trip Mom" and he is right!

My brother (who is a Disney freak also) told me that the Mickey Hallo party was one of the best things he has ever done at WDW. He couldn't say enough about it. My Mom even had a great time! He also said that it was packed for Labor Day weekend. He has never been there when it was that busy, May is the normal travel to WDW month for most of our family.

Things here at home are a bit crazed and finances are super tight so with my boys gone for the day I am here making plans for next year.

We have a student from Germany staying with us for 12 days (Goofy will stay with his family in April 2010). He is very nice and a pleasure to have here with us. Mickey and Minnie will be coming home Oct 17th for 21 days before heading to California to Travis AirForce Base for 3 years. Donald will be coming home from college for 4 days while Mickey and Minnie are home. Soooo October is going to be busy and fun!

So..there has been some adjustments to our plans for Sept 2010.
Simba thinks we are going for 4 days (5 max) and I plan on surprising him Saturday (18th) morning by waking and telling him that we are leaving then for WDW. We will actually be staying from the 18th to the 26th.

We will be staying at POFQ or a valu resort. I would love to upgrade but I have decided to do more while we are there instead of spending it on the resort. Of course...if I fall into more $ before then who knows (LOL).

So the extra's I am looking at MNSSHP, the pirate thing (not sure of the official name right now, my brain is jello,lol). Let me know if you think of anymore.

Disneystore.com had a 70% off sale and $5 shipping so I was able to get 7 Christmas presents for family members and a couple of items for me and Simba for our trip.

For Simba...3 t-shirts and for me 2. So this is this the start....I felt goosebumps when the package came in this week (it only took 5 days for it to come in). Simba asked me as we drove by the dollar store this morning if we will be starting to "pick things up" for the trip soon.

I am in the process of printing out the menu's of all the places he wants to eat and the places he is 50/50 about so he can make his choices easier.

Well readers (of which there are none right now) we fell upon some very bad financial times over the last few months and are starting to get back on my feet again. Funny first thing everyone told me to do...cancel my trip to WDW :confused:

Guess what my answer was? NO WAY!!! WDW is the only thing I have to look forward to. The momney for the trip isn't coming from my regular monthly income, it's coming from booking trips for others to Disney. I am working hard on getting people booked for trips for this reason alone.

There were times when I thought the bad luck I was having would never end but my family and friends were unbelievable in thier support and it made getting through all of this so much easier. The other thing that kept me going was dreaming of walking down Main Street with my Simba and all the new memories the two of us will be making together. I could smell the sweetness of the Bakery and I could feel the heat of the sun on my face while wandering around Animal Kingdom and I could taste the bacon at O'Hana's at breakfast.

We might be staying at a Valu resort insteadof a moderate but the specials that come out will determine all of that. Also, my son, Donald has decided that he will be doing the co-op with Disney again next Fall for his Senior year in college and and will be down there already when we go. If that's the case there are many more discounts for us to choose from, free park tickets, 40% off our rooms, etc. We will also get 50% off all any souviners we buy!!

I forgot to mention how great it was to see my oldest, Mickey and his wife, Minnie for 21 days. They have now moved to California. Donald came home too for 4 days and is now home again for Thanksgiving vacation. He is hunting with his father and my other son, Goofy this weekend.

So now we have to finish up things for Christmas, and plan the rest of Mickey and Minnie's wedding and reception (they were married by proxy in March 09 so they are having a church wedding and reception in Aug 2010).

I am also going to finish planning the trip for me and Simba!!!!

Hi neighbor! :wave2: Your trip sounds really fun and I hope it works out for you. That's really cool that you're surprising Simba; I always wished my parents would do something like that. But alas, we haven't actually been on a real vacation since 1994! (I don't count trips with school as vacation, even the one to Disney because it wasn't to me.) When in May did you go? We are going mid-late and I'm hoping we don't run into the same tropical storm problems.:scared1: I really want to go to the water parks! I'll definitely be reading the rest of this, so keep planning. Oh, have you thought about mini-golfing or the characters in flight balloon for possible things to do? They are a little extra, but not nearly as much as MNSSHP and Pirates League. Also Port Orleans sounds great, it's one of the mods I wanted to stay at, but we will be doing ASMusic instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter