SDFP: CHANGES COMING!! Beware the 7th of June?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so have a large parties of five or more people had success getting sdfp's? I understand that availability depends on so many factors. In your opinion is,Is it worth buying generic new magic bands at the Disney store to try this for that many people?

Appreciate replies from anyone with thoughts.

Well, I was going to switch them each time, but see below from another poster:

This happened to me, too. "I'm sorry, but your next scheduled FP is at Space Mountain at 3:00". My friend whispered to me that we forgot to switch bands. Oops. From that point on, I wore one on each arm and didn't care what anyone thought. I still could have accidentally tapped the wrong one, but with both staring at me, it made me think about it first!

If I have two, I usually keep one on normally (mine) and the other fastened tightly around my bag (I carry just a small purse-type bag). I use a fitbit band (little rubber band thing) to hold it secure. When I go to a check point, if I'm using that one I just lift up the bag and scan it while still leaving one on my wrist. Heck, sometimes I've scanned mine and had them say something similar "Marcie, your next FP is at 2:00 at Dinosaur" while I was standing in the Safari line. I then scanned the other one and had them not say anything even when it then showed as a male name. ;) They don't care as long as something you have makes the checkpoint turn green.

I think it could get super complicated with more than 4 people. It was even confusing with just me and my mom. I took pictures of the kiosk screen with the extra times but then if you switch times around it gets confusing. It was a huge time saver though to have all the fast passes so worth a try!

The one time I scanned the wrong band and then tried the other one, the CM at It's a small world gave me an issue and told me I wasn't allowed to do that and wouldn't let me on. I told her it was a friends band who was at the expo for the marathon (which actually was true). She was actually kind of mean about it. From what I've read, most CM don't care but just be careful and remember which FP is on which bands!

The one time I scanned the wrong band and then tried the other one, the CM at It's a small world gave me an issue and told me I wasn't allowed to do that and wouldn't let me on. I told her it was a friends band who was at the expo for the marathon (which actually was true). She was actually kind of mean about it. From what I've read, most CM don't care but just be careful and remember which FP is on which bands!
I would think this is an isolated incident and very rare. There is no rule, that I'm aware of, stating all guests must wear 1 MB and only 1 MB. Often times parents will wear their young childrens' MBs. Other times guests will wear multiple MBs just for decoration. Maybe a loved one's MB that could not be there this trip holds sentimental value. So many reasons guests would be wearing multiple MBs.

We were there the week before Easter, and using SDFP made our trip so much more enjoyable. We had a full set of MBs for our party of 6, as well as 3 expired card tickets. It definitely takes a level of coordination and planning that most people are probably not willing to do, but to me, it's very much worth it. I've been to Disney at Christmas, and while I didn't think the crowds were to that level, they were still very large, and lines were long. We always do rope drop at whichever park we are going to, but still, SDFP allowed us to do so much more. My son and I were able to get 3 rides in on Space Mountain, and then on a separate day, 5 rides on Everest. Just as valuable though was getting them for things like Mad Tea Party, Tomorrowland Speedway, Dumbo, and Small World. Each of these had lines in excess of a half hour most of the day so skipping those lines easily saved us several hours of waiting in line. I think in the 5 days were at the parks, the longest line we waited in was 25-30 minutes to see Minnie and Daisy. To be fair, we did not try to ride Test Track though as we had all been on it before and didn't want to wait the 100 minute line. The only one of the 4 parks we did not utilize it was Epcot. By the time we got back to Future World from doing FEA at rope drop, the line for the kiosks was so long, I didn't bother with it.

Ironically, the only time we had any kind of issue whatsoever was at Small World as well. I had the MBs set up on a second MDX account and used our middle names instead of first names to avoid any confusion or possible combination of the two accounts. As we were scanning in at Small World, I happened to say something to my son and called him by his first name just as the CM scanned his band. She kind of looked at me in an accusatory way, and said "This says Paul" (his middle name). I just said yes that's his middle name and continued on.

Ok, found some KTTW cards (I think that's what they are called, tickets used to get into park and for kiosk fp+) that were used when staying offsite. Didn't make a MDE account that trip. Can these be used for SDFP?

Heck, sometimes I've scanned mine and had them say something similar "Marcie, your next FP is at 2:00 at Dinosaur" while I was standing in the Safari line. I then scanned the other one and had them not say anything even when it then showed as a male name.

I was so embarrassed and mad at myself for not remembering (I'm usually very organized) that I didn't even want to go back in the line for another 15 minutes, but my friend talked me into go back 5 minutes later. I'm glad we didn't go back any sooner than that, though, given the posts above about the comments were from CMs at IASW -- that's the exact ride where I goofed!

SDFP observation from last week: We had a FP in place for Splash around 10pm on a 12am closing day. We showed up to Splash and there was a big line at the FP entrance, so I quick looked on the app to see if we could modify it to something else since a couple of us were on the fence about potentially getting wet at that hour anyway. I saw probably 4 or 5 options, including the Speedway and Haunted Mansion and Pirates, but ultimately we decided to just hop in for our Splash FPs because the line had started moving and the crowd had gone through (I think it was the top of the hour). So I hopped back on the app once we scanned in for Splash, and lo and behold, the options that I had seen just 30-60 seconds prior were all gone and the only FP I could book was Pirates. I can't imagine that all of those other FPs were snatched up in that literal minute of time. So it seems to me that they somehow have a priority for modifications vs. additional FPs. Anyone else notice this?

Just as valuable though was getting them for things like Mad Tea Party, Tomorrowland Speedway, Dumbo, and Small World. Each of these had lines in excess of a half hour most of the day so skipping those lines easily saved us several hours of waiting in line. I think in the 5 days were at the parks, the longest line we waited in was 25-30 minutes to see Minnie and Daisy.
You hit the nail on the head right here. For us, the "B" rides are right in the wheelhouse of the biggest benefits of SDFP. Sure, a tier 1 at EPCOT or EE at AK is great and always welcome but shouldn't be expected. To use a sports analogy, SDFP is all about "small ball". Don't go in expecting to hit a grand slam or even a home run. I'll take singles and doubles all day long. Of course, if the kiosk throws you a floater right up the middle then by all means swing for the fence.

SDFP observation from last week: We had a FP in place for Splash around 10pm on a 12am closing day. We showed up to Splash and there was a big line at the FP entrance, so I quick looked on the app to see if we could modify it to something else since a couple of us were on the fence about potentially getting wet at that hour anyway. I saw probably 4 or 5 options, including the Speedway and Haunted Mansion and Pirates, but ultimately we decided to just hop in for our Splash FPs because the line had started moving and the crowd had gone through (I think it was the top of the hour). So I hopped back on the app once we scanned in for Splash, and lo and behold, the options that I had seen just 30-60 seconds prior were all gone and the only FP I could book was Pirates. I can't imagine that all of those other FPs were snatched up in that literal minute of time. So it seems to me that they somehow have a priority for modifications vs. additional FPs. Anyone else notice this?
This is an interesting question but I'm inclined to think that the FP system makes no distinction between modifying a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd -vs.- making a 4th. (Obviously tiering at EP, HS, and AK comes into play when modifying but that doesn't really pertain to the question). I know when at a kiosk the options/times will change almost by the second if you keep refreshing. Interested in seeing responses to this.

Last edited:
I'll also add that refreshing constantly is the key to finding what you want. I was able to get one of our Everest rides as a 4th FP that day doing that over the app. Also, because of some car trouble we had, my dad was not able to join us initially at AK and thus missed our prebooked FP for Safari. We found out about 12:30 or so that he would be able to get there around 5:00. I stood at a kiosk for probably 5 minutes refreshing the page using my extra 3 cards (thankfully nobody came up behind me lol) and lo and behold, a 5:45 for Safari popped up. My dad was thus able to take his 2 grandkids on the Safari. He also was able to on Everest with my son and I using one of the cards. Neither of these would have happened without SDFP, and I'm so thankful to those of you that put all of this information together for it. Thank you!

I would think this is an isolated incident and very rare. There is no rule, that I'm aware of, stating all guests must wear 1 MB and only 1 MB. Often times parents will wear their young childrens' MBs. Other times guests will wear multiple MBs just for decoration. Maybe a loved one's MB that could not be there this trip holds sentimental value. So many reasons guests would be wearing multiple MBs.

Her issue wasn't the extra MB, it was that I was trying to use "someone else's" FP. Since I scanned the wrong one the first time, and that particular FP was for 30 minutes from that time, she knew that I had two sets. I think it just depends on the CM. She was an older woman, I think a younger CM wouldn't have had an issue.

I also agree with refreshing. I couldn't get a FP for seven dwarfs but after checking a few times throughout the day, I was. People cancel and move FP around a lot. Just keep checking!

I read the whole first page and understand that I can use my 1 year old's band for SDFP (because he doesn't have a ticket). But I actually have 3 bands (from separate trips) that were all for the baby. Can these all be used or are they somehow linked as all being the same (even without park tickets attached)? So basically, I'm thinking of my baby's entry in MDE as a phantom, right? So are these bands then all the same phantom? Or can I create 2 new phantoms with them? Thanks in advance for your help!

I read the whole first page and understand that I can use my 1 year old's band for SDFP (because he doesn't have a ticket). But I actually have 3 bands (from separate trips) that were all for the baby. Can these all be used or are they somehow linked as all being the same (even without park tickets attached)? So basically, I'm thinking of my baby's entry in MDE as a phantom, right? So are these bands then all the same phantom? Or can I create 2 new phantoms with them? Thanks in advance for your help!
If they are all linked to the same profile of the baby, then they are all clones.

Her issue wasn't the extra MB, it was that I was trying to use "someone else's" FP. Since I scanned the wrong one the first time, and that particular FP was for 30 minutes from that time, she knew that I had two sets. I think it just depends on the CM. She was an older woman, I think a younger CM wouldn't have had an issue.

I also agree with refreshing. I couldn't get a FP for seven dwarfs but after checking a few times throughout the day, I was. People cancel and move FP around a lot. Just keep checking!

Ours was an "older" woman as well.

"Tell them that they should quit being a spoiled crybaby, because you are The Disney Planner (and they are completely clueless about how much time you have spent planning this trip) so whatever you say is what is Right and Good and Best."

Can I get an Amen!

OK, so have a large parties of five or more people had success getting sdfp's? I understand that availability depends on so many factors. In your opinion is,Is it worth buying generic new magic bands at the Disney store to try this for that many people?

Appreciate replies from anyone with thoughts.

We were doing it as a party of 6, and even 8 on one day combining our 6 MBs with 2 expired tickets. I would say it's absolutely worth it. Honestly, I thought the money spent was worth it on the first day, and we used our MBs on 3 other days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter