SDFP: CHANGES COMING!! Beware the 7th of June?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if adding a suffix to the first name works to avoid the phantom account being merged with the real account like typing Jr or II right after the first name. What if the two MDEs have the same name but different addresses, will they get merged? TIA!

Merging is usually something accomplished by a CM - not by a computer. If you have reason to need help with something on your MDE - either over the phone, in a park, at a resort - the CM will ask for your email address. They'll see the names on your MDE. They may merge profiles because they think they're duplicates, they think they're helping you out - without even telling you that they're doing it. So a suffix might not prevent it. Even a different physical address might not prevent it. Hopefully they'd ask you about the duplicates (or near duplicates) first. But they might not - they might just merge.

For relatives with the same name - father and son, for instance - this could happen - the profiles could be merged. So they call and get it fixed if they are merged. They can't avoid the potential for a merger, because these are their real names. If that's your situation, then add a suffix and hope for the best. But if this is not your situation, why would you keep identical names? You remove yourself from the possibility of merged profiles if the names are different. Use middle names. Use nicknames. Unless you have a reason not to.

Merging is usually something accomplished by a CM - not by a computer. If you have reason to need help with something on your MDE - either over the phone, in a park, at a resort - the CM will ask for your email address. They'll see the names on your MDE. They may merge profiles because they think they're duplicates, they think they're helping you out - without even telling you that they're doing it. So a suffix might not prevent it. Even a different physical address might not prevent it. Hopefully they'd ask you about the duplicates (or near duplicates) first. But they might not - they might just merge.

For relatives with the same name - father and son, for instance - this could happen - the profiles could be merged. So they call and get it fixed if they are merged. They can't avoid the potential for a merger, because these are their real names. If that's your situation, then add a suffix and hope for the best. But if this is not your situation, why would you keep identical names? You remove yourself from the possibility of merged profiles if the names are different. Use middle names. Use nicknames. Unless you have a reason not to.

Thanks! :flower3: Just want to understand my options.

A word to the wise. Have you let any family members borrow your extra MBs for SDFP? Did you get those bands back? You might want to do that. And if you've ever sold old MagicBands or cards on eBay, you could find that your MDE is locked out if the buyer ever attempts to enter a FP attractions with one! Not a huge deal - you'll just call guest services to unlock. But it's good to be aware of the possibility of this scenario.

So between now and Monday, is it better to link MDEs of any ticketed friends that you might be planning with in the future? Or leave it alone until after this change?

Hoping to clarify what I presume is true. (Just joined the thread at the time of the big announcement two weeks ago, so this could be answered way back in the thread.)

I have a couple of old non-expiring tickets with remaining days which have been converted to RFID, but have never been attached to a MyDEx account. At some point, I'll want to attach them for CPFP, and I presume they can be attached to either a primary or a phantom profile. However, am I correct that because they are used tickets, once attached to a profile, they can't be reassigned, even if they have still not been used while attached?

This is not a show-stopper, as we can always use the phantom for park entry.

And yes, I realize that many things could be different a week from now.

Thanx.

However, am I correct that because they are used tickets, once attached to a profile, they can't be reassigned, even if they have still not been used while attached?
I believe because they are "new" RFID cards, they can be reassigned up until first use. Before first use, they won't have a biometric linked to them. @Robo can confirm or refute this for you. :)

Will the only way to know if the changes have taken place is to see reports of things not working or trying for ourselves to test it?

I believe because they are "new" RFID cards, they can be reassigned up until first use. Before first use, they won't have a biometric linked to them. @Robo can confirm or refute this for you. :)
That would certainly give us more flexibility. My thinking is that since by policy the ticket has to be used by only one person, and since the system clearly knows the ticket has been used, it could well assume that the profile to which it has been assigned is the original user.
Before I go working "FastPass gymnastics" for the September trip, I want to be sure I know our options.

Hoping to clarify what I presume is true. (Just joined the thread at the time of the big announcement two weeks ago, so this could be answered way back in the thread.)

I have a couple of old non-expiring tickets with remaining days which have been converted to RFID, but have never been attached to a MyDEx account. At some point, I'll want to attach them for CPFP, and I presume they can be attached to either a primary or a phantom profile. However, am I correct that because they are used tickets, once attached to a profile, they can't be reassigned, even if they have still not been used while attached?

This is not a show-stopper, as we can always use the phantom for park entry.

And yes, I realize that many things could be different a week from now.

Thanx.

In my experience, they can't be reassigned if they were partially used before conversion to RFID. But of course you can always change the name of the profile they're attached to in any way that suits you and the future use of the ticket. Hopefully the ability to change profiles names won't change. But anything's possible. Personally, I'm changing all the names right now!

A word to the wise. Have you let any family members borrow your extra MBs for SDFP? Did you get those bands back? You might want to do that. And if you've ever sold old MagicBands or cards on eBay, you could find that your MDE is locked out if the buyer ever attempts to enter a FP attractions with one! Not a huge deal - you'll just call guest services to unlock. But it's good to be aware of the possibility of this scenario.

If the bands that you gave to friends or sold on Ebay are still listed on your MDE account then you can just deactivate them or call IT and have them deleted. I would rather do that then risk having my account locked up.

If the bands that you gave to friends or sold on Ebay are still listed on your MDE account then you can just deactivate them or call IT and have them deleted. I would rather do that then risk having my account locked up.

Deactivation has no effect on FP use. Deactivated bands still work at kiosks for FP. And before June 6, deactivated bands work for FP entry at rides.

You could call to ask that the bands be removed from your account, and you'll no longer see them on your MagicBands and Cards page. But the bands will continue to refer back to your MDE - and they could still result in a lock on your MDE. However, it only requires a phone call to guest services if it gets locked, so it's not the end of the world. And it's not likely to happen in the first place. Word is getting out fast that SDFP is ending.

You could call to ask that the bands be removed from your account, and you'll no longer see them on your MagicBands and Cards page. But the bands will continue to refer back to your MDE - and they could still result in a lock on your MDE. However, it only requires a phone call to guest services if it gets locked, so it's not the end of the world. And it's not likely to happen in the first place. Word is getting out fast that SDFP is ending.
If you called IT to have them delete a MB from your account then it would be really unfair of Disney to lock your account if someone tried to use that band.

CPFP came about as a workaround to utilize FP+ obtained day of, on a kiosk with non-ticketed profiles, that are first transferred to an actual ticketed person that entered the park that day. This would look like a traditional 4th, 5th, 6th, FP+ obtained at the tapstile and would not cause a lockout. This is just speculation as it has only been tested and used prior to the changes.
This certainly reduces the desire to park hop for me. In the past we would rope drop one park, SDFP there and then park hop to a different park where our real FPs were. Now I'll have to schedule my CPFP for after my real FPs and bopping from one park to another back to the first one is a PITB.

Last edited:
If you called IT to have them delete a MB from your account then it would be really unfair of Disney to lock your account if someone tried to use that band.

Maybe one of the features of the Big Update on June 6th will be Disney's ability to truly deactivate a band - so it couldn't be used at kiosks or FP entry.

This certainly reduces the desire to park hop for me. In the past we would rope drop one park, SDFP there and then park hop to a different park where our real FPs were. Now I'll have to schedule my SDFP for after my real FPs and bopping from one park to another back to the first one is a PITB.

Parkhopping would still work well if you hop back to the first park to use the CPFPs. I am thinking if you rope drop Park 1 and ride standby. Then get your CPFPs and hop to Park 2 to use your prebooked FP. Lastly hop back to Park 1 to use CPFPs. Would this work assuming it's easier to get SDFP for late afternoon or evening?

Parkhopping would still work well if you hop back to the first park to use the CPFPs. I am thinking if you rope drop Park 1 and ride standby. Then get your CPFPs and hop to Park 2 to use your prebooked FP. Lastly hop back to Park 1 to use CPFPs. Would this work assuming it's easier to get SDFP for late afternoon or evening?
Yes, it would work but it would be a PITB and really not worth it for me. We also usually take a mid-day break so that's definitely too much hopping for me. My FP+ window opens tomorrow and I'll have to think about what time of day I want to book FPs. I'm thinking that mid-morning would be best with a return to the park for some CPFPs.

In my experience, they can't be reassigned if they were partially used before conversion to RFID. But of course you can always change the name of the profile they're attached to in any way that suits you and the future use of the ticket.. But anything's possible. Personally, I'm changing all the names right now!

This is the reason why I asked about adding suffix to real names. I will be exchanging a year 2000 ticket with 2 unused days. I assumed it can't be reassigned once linked. I am planning to link it to a second MDE. If for any reason I cannot change the profile name, I am worried that I won't be able to use the ticket later in the future. However, if I use my real name and link it to the primary MDE, I am worried that it would be merged. Dilemma! Dilemma! I hope the change won't remove that ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter