Scottsdale

drag n' fly

Sassy, salty and sweet....
Dh has a conference coming up in Scottsdale and we are coming along for some sun and pool fun. Any suggestions for a good family hotel (not the 500 dollars a night Hyatt lol):eek: with an epic pool ( I was thinking Westin Villas) for the kids (kids club would be nice so dh and I can go out for dinner)? Also some suggestions on kid stuff to do would also be appreciated. Have not been to AZ in 10 years so lots of catching up to do:goodvibes

When are you coming out? You can get some great rates at Scottsdale resort hotels during the summer. If you come out before May, you are paying peak season prices. We enjoyed staying at Kierland.

The Phoenix Zoo is always fun. Downtown Phoenix has a new children's museum and there is a new Musical Instrument Museum in Scottsdale now as well.

When are you visiting Scottsdale and what part of town? What price range were you looking for? There are scores of resorts in the Scottsdale and Phoenix areas with mini-water parks for kids and other activities. Rates will drop considerably as we head into Summer. Winter rates are very high.

I would recommend Thunderbird suites, no epic pool, but the suites are big, clean & the rates are pretty good. It's close to Kierland, Downtown Scottsdale & Fashion Mall are just 10 minutes down the road.

Cracker Jack is just down your street, they have mini golf, go karts, arcade & some other fun stuff for kiddos.

Hope that helps ! Have fun! :goodvibes

Me and my Dh stayed at the westin lapaloma resort in Scottsdale. It is a very nice resort. It had like 5 pools, tennis court, spa. We enjoyed it.

The Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak is in north Phoenix near Scottsdale. It has a nice mini-waterpark and I think it has a kids club too. Very reasonable, especially in the summer.

Or stay wherever you want that has a kids club and go to a real waterpark for the day -- there are 3 that I know of in the area.

PHXscuba

Things to do with kids in Phoenix depends a lot on the weather in my book. If the weather is such that you can't be outside during the day, Makutu's Island is great (check their website to sign up for the Kids Club to get discounts), so are the Art Museum, Arizona Science Center and Challenger Space Center. Mesa Southwest Museum is lots of fun too. SeaLife Aquarium in Tempe is really fun.

If the weather is good the zoo is awesome, and if the kids are a little older they may also enjoy the botanical gardens next door to the zoo. Tempe Beach Park has a marina where you can rent boats and cruise around - we haven't done that yet but are looking forward to trying it.

Sedona can be a very easy day trip, leave in the morning, have lunch in Sedona and drive up 89A through Oak Creek Canyon and then back down in time for dinner.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will definitely look into all of them:goodvibes
We have a conference March 1-3. We are adding on a day at the beginning and the end. I did contact someone through the Kierland Villas on TUG and am trying to see if he can book our dates.
I have only been to AZ in April and August so hopefully the weather will be warm enogh for pool time:goodvibes

Well we rented a timeshare off an owner at Westin Kierland Villas. I will give a little review of the place when we get back:goodvibes

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will definitely look into all of them:goodvibes
We have a conference March 1-3. We are adding on a day at the beginning and the end. I did contact someone through the Kierland Villas on TUG and am trying to see if he can book our dates.
I have only been to AZ in April and August so hopefully the weather will be warm enogh for pool time:goodvibes

I'm sure it will be, it was 78 degrees today :sunny:

Hope you have a great stay!

I stayed at Westin Kierland Villas in January for work. Although, I wasn't paying -- I would definitely go back! I really enjoyed the property and hope to be able to return with the family soon. The rooms were lovely. The staff was very accommodating and the hotel food was excellent. I loved walking across the street to Kierland and Scottsdale Quarter. We ate at two AMAZING restaurants in Kierland Commons. Had a great time!! Hope you do too! The kids club looked really great!

I'm sure it will be, it was 78 degrees today :sunny:

Hope you have a great stay!

The weather is looking mighty craptastic today for when we go. Still have 10 days to go and hopefully the forecast will change for the better!

I wouldn't worry too much. It is way too far off in the future for a real accurate weather forcast. Even a cloudy day at 69 degrees can be beautiful here. Especially if you're sitting at a ballgame.

I wouldn't worry too much. It is way too far off in the future for a real accurate weather forcast. Even a cloudy day at 69 degrees can be beautiful here. Especially if you're sitting at a ballgame.

Speaking of which, didn't I read somewhere that spring training is going on? I may have to check it out as I never have been to a real baseball game before...well except for the locals here :goodvibes

Me and my Dh stayed at the westin lapaloma resort in Scottsdale. It is a very nice resort. It had like 5 pools, tennis court, spa. We enjoyed it.

The Westin La Paloma is in Tucson. The Westin Kierland is in Scottsdale. :thumbsup2

Spring training is a lot of fun, too!

Speaking of which, didn't I read somewhere that spring training is going on? I may have to check it out as I never have been to a real baseball game before...well except for the locals here :goodvibes

Oh yes, March is Spring Training time in the Valley of the Sun. We have a brand new training facility for the D-Backs and Rockies in Scottsdale where you might want to catch a game.

http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/spring_training/ballpark.jsp?c_id=ari

http://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/spring_training/home.jsp?c_id=col

Is the flea market still at Apache Junction?

Not sure about that one. There are swap meets all over the metro Phoenix area. The two I go to now and then are:

Phoenix Greyhound Park (no longer a race track but swap is still there). Mostly commercial vendors but some garage sale type stuff.

Glendale 9 Drive In. Mostly garage sale type vendors here.

Thanks for the info! One more question we will be close to the Kierland Commons but we are looking for a good outlet mall. I googled them and it came up with a few. Which one is a better one?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter