School districts punishing parents for taking kids out for Disney!

Truancy has been a crime for quite some time. The first truancy law in the U.S. was passed in 1853. A kid who misses 30 days of school has missed 1/6 of the school year. That is not a minor issue. A middle school kid who has missed 300 school days in his career, has missed almost 2 yrs of education.

In our school district, it doesn't matter if the days are excused or unexcused they only allow 5. I can not imagine it getting to the point of 30 days. And on another note...if the child is over 10 they can be brought up on charges in our district too....sad sad!

On our DOE website it also states that in elementary and middle that attendance is used as part of the academic assessment.....so in order to get a lot of their funding and pass accreditation they have to have a higher rate of attendance.

My son has attended a public school that for the past 2-3 years has failed to become accredited due to absenteeism, even if they pass the basic skills testing, they fail due to the lack of students attending class. Then they have to give the option to the students to be bussed to another county school....that is accredited. So in the long run it does cost them, but it's much stricter then it used to be.

Lets see... Social Workers/Case-managers with a master's degree. A real one, not an M.Ed., working for the same county that pays novice, unskilled teachers 1/3 more. No paid training...it isn't in the budget... Work year round, two weeks paid vacation. No guaranteed holidays, no paperwork days, no paid overtime, plus on-call beeper duty (also unpaid.) No special benefits, no retirement plan. If teachers didn't act like virgin sacrifices, I think people would feel more sympathetic for a job that isn't always easy. They want to be treated like professionals, but choose to belong to trade unions, and will STRIKE. They teach fads rather than facts. And they dawdle in psychology, where they hav no business.
QUOTE]

I'm sorry. Are you kidding me? This might be the most insulting post I have ever read in my life. I happen to have three M.A's - two "real" ones and one M.Ed. I don't recall the Masters in Edu being any easier or costing any less than the other two. I don't personally belong to a union but I can see why many teachers do and need to - attitudes like yours. All most teachers ask for is appropriate financial compensation for 1. the hours devoted and 2. the level of education required and for a little support from parents and the community.

I would go on about the "fads vs. facts" (in reality the curriculum is set by the state or district) and the 'dawdleing in psychology" but my altar is missing it's virgin.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Well said!!!!! What struck me funny was that I majored in both psychology and science as an udergrad in college. Neither got me far so I went back to school and received, oh should I say it, a MPS (Masters in Professional Studies) in both Elementary and Special Education, which did provide me with a job. Guess what, I use what I learned in my undergrad years to support the way I taught in my class. BTW, I also minored in sociology. Recently I have spent a lot of my time conducting studies focusing on brain-based learning. To be honest my sociology classes were very easy compared to my science, psychology, math and yes education classes. Although I think anytime you are in a field historically dominated by women, you are severely underpaid. People must have forgotten why teachers joined unions in the first place. When a young woman got married, she was often "let go" to start her family even if she hadn't planned on it. It was always assumed she would do it because "it was the right thing to do." If you didn't have the money to hire a lawyer (most didn't at that time and if they did, they were told they really didn't need the job now anyway.), you couldn't fight for your job. Then, when your children were grown maybe just maybe you could get your job back. The solution to this was to invent Tenure. Many districts are not a part of the Union. BTW, as a teacher it is illegal to strike in New York. You are docked pay and you could lose your job. I had to work without a contract (no cost of living raise) for two years. :teacher:

Well, women are no longer fired when they marry. So, we can just get rid of tenure, right? It is no longer necesssary. Interesting history lesson.

Glad teachers can't strike in NY. Good for them! Glad your district isn't unionized. Ours, unfortunately is, and the children and parents (and good teachers) pay the price.

eta: I'll give you the point on a couple of counseling classes... Any class that started with crap like "If you were an animal, which would you be...?" Some of the groups stuff was pathetic. And Carl Roger's...well, I wish I could make a mint telling people to repeat back what the other says...:rolleyes:

But there are a half dozen flake classes in our T.Ed. program. I admit a bias based on our program, and our local city and county districts. (Including those in WV.)

Well, women are no longer fired when they marry. So, we can just get rid of tenure, right? It is no longer necesssary.

Technically, the REAL reason that tenure exists is to protect teachers in case of subject matter controversy. (Think something like the Scopes trial.) The idea is that even if you teach controversial subjects or take a controversial position, you can't be fired for it for political reasons.

Originally tenure was strictly for post-secondary education, but it ended up filtering down to elementary and secondary education, where it tends to be fairly useless for its original purpose of protecting intellectual freedoms.

As another poster pointed out...wonder what line item from the budget the postage, paper, ink, and secretary time for that one came from??? Wonder if they recouped it all...

Former teacher, now homeschooler. After my then sophomore DD was denied credit in her Latin class b/c of abscences (she broke her wrist the same year we won a trip to WDW from Kellogg's, and WHY was it only Latin that was a problem, I've always wondered???), I informed the assistant principal that excused absences were handed down in the following order: God, *ME*, judge, doctor. If I excuse it, it's excused. Period. After a glance at the Supreme Court's decision granting parents the right to the "care, custody, and control" of their children, her credit was reinstated and we never had to have the discussion again.

My parents and my attendance philosophy has always been, if the kid can make the grade without their bum warming the seat, so be it. Let's just say that my stress level has dropped significantly with homeschooling.

I am a teacher also. I would never consider home-schooling my kids. That's just my opinion. I know that I could teach them a lot, but some subjects--forget it! Not to mention the social aspect I think they get in school--but I digress...

As far as the pay issue that was discussed...does anyone really ever think they make enough money? I am in my 14th year of teaching and just this year broke 40K! I darn-near threw a party. My DH just patted my head and laughed. My benefits are outrageous. My district had to change insurance two years ago b/c Aetna wanted to raises our premiums 40%! It would have pushed me to over $1000/month for just my two sons and me.

However, I believe the original issue was "the letter". As another poster stated, if you are reading these posted you are more than likely a responsible parent that would require your child to get their missing work and complete it if he/she missed for a vacation. However, that is not always the case. There are sooo many parents who feel it is the teacher's job to be the student has made up any missing work. I have about 120 students. They are in 7th grade. It's their responsibility!

I think paying the money to the district is a stupid idea; however, I also don't think that students should be pulled out of school for an extended period of time for a vacation. You can have family time at home also.

We will be leaving for our first trip to WDW exactly 5 days after school is out in June.

Boy I’m I glad I didn’t get jail time for my daughter missing school.
Her first year of school she missed 64 days of school, I had a rule no fever you go to school.
She would go to school and in an half an hour I would get a call from the school to come get her she threw up again. I would take her to the drs office as soon as I picked her up.
This happen time after time, always ending with the drs saying he cant find a thing wrong with her.
He would run test and they would all come back the same, she was a healthy child.
I would send her back only to have the same thing happen.
It wasn’t until the school wrote a letter to the drs. Saying they wanted her to be checked out again to see what is going on with her before they would let her go back to school.

He then put her in the hospital and ran more test and had a few other drs to come in and look her over.
After all this, they decide lets remove her tonsils and see if she gets better.
Only after that would they see if she had cancer, remember this was about 21 years ago.
Took out tonsils she never felt better. She missed very little school after that, and she missed no school in her whole four years of high school.
I’m sure glad I didn’t get jail time, now that being said.

I don’t think schools have the right to say you can’t take your kids out of school for vacations.
I think this need to be left to the parent if they want their kids to miss school, as parents need family time too and not every one can get vacation time, just when school is out.
Too many of the rights of parents are being taken away, if the schools are allowed to say you can’t take your children on vacations.

I don’t think the state or school should step in and say that you have to pay them back either.
If you have to start paying for taking your children out of schools then you have a system which says only those people with money have that right.
I don’t want to see that ever happening.
I don’t want to have a right that poor people may not have.

Another point I don’t think any of the teachers are being paid what they are worth.
Of course I think any one living on the minimum wage is a joke too.

I do think they need to rethink how they pay the school system money, maybe they should be paid an average of how many students are enrolled in the school year.
Instead of how may were in school in Oct. or Feb. they could take an average of how many students are enrolled during the school year.

How many parent's take their kids out of school for vacation?

I'll pull my son out a day or two before a break. However, I'll never take him out for week or more in order to visit WDW.

I would pull him to travel out of the country.

For us a trip to WDW has to wait until school is out.

I didn't know about this at all. My daugther and I are going to Disneyworld in May and she will be missing 5 days of school. My daughter's teacher didn't think this was a problem at all. As far as compensation for the absence, I have not heard of such in our district...yet.

I guess I wouldn't mind paying, this is a trip I've been waiting a decade for. I just wish that if they do implement this that parents would get enough notice.

The only problem I have with the schools in our area is that the administration said they needed mpore classrom space, so they pushed a referendum with that premise and then both scholls used the money to build a 2nd gymnasium. I was not aware, nor did they ever say that was what is was going to be used for. So now they still need the classroom space and and are asking for more money. When the admin gets it's act together, maybe I can see paying for days off, but certainly not now. Oh and 1 more thing, my daughter says they get all new computers every year. I don't need them and I seriously doubt that the schools need all new computers every year.

Im not sure how I feel about that. Our public schools in Louisiana are in horrible shape and the teachers are about the lowest paid in the country.
Im ok with giving the schools extra money, but I didnt realize they lose money when kids are absent.

:confused: I am not sure they lose money - each kid is allowed to miss a set amount of days, and I refuse to pay any more tax dollars to our failing education systems until they use our money wisely (which is such a joke-there is so much waste). These are my children, and I will raise them as I see fit. There is too much govt interference in our lives now. If someone enjoys giving away more money to the govt then be my guest, but I won't. The govt confiscates too much of our hard earned dollars now....:love: :cloud9: :dance3:

Don't know about anywhere else but in Texas schools do in fact lose money...

Whether they lose money or not it is STILL our money they are using. Money they have confiscated in the way of taxes. It is our school system, and if we want to take our kids out for 5 days it is none of their business, as long as our children are passing, and no I would not take my kids out for excessive amounts of time.:yay: :teacher: :angel:

Whether they lose money or not it is STILL our money they are using. Money they have confiscated in the way of taxes. It is our school system, and if we want to take our kids out for 5 days it is none of their business, as long as our children are passing, and no I would not take my kids out for excessive amounts of time.:yay: :teacher: :angel:

I deliberately didn't comment on that part of the comment....I think pulling your children out of school (and possibly violating laws I guess depending on your state) is a personal decision for each person to make....I only wanted to clarify that each absences does cost public schools in Texas. Again, please do not take offense to my comment I was just clarifying that one point..I didn't intend to post my opinions either way.

The OP's post is one of the reasons I like private school. No one to dictate where you have to live in order to attend and what you can or can't do with your own child reguarding attendance/vacation. IMhumbleO I've experienced more freedom with private school..just not financial LOL!!! :lmao:

Former teacher, now homeschooler. I informed the assistant principal that excused absences were handed down in the following order: God, *ME*, judge, doctor. If I excuse it, it's excused. Period. After a glance at the Supreme Court's decision granting parents the right to the "care, custody, and control" of their children, her credit was reinstated and we never had to have the discussion again.

My parents and my attendance philosophy has always been, if the kid can make the grade without their bum warming the seat, so be it. Let's just say that my stress level has dropped significantly with homeschooling.

I SO agree with this-my child is my responsibility, and as a responsible parent, these were all reasons we decided to homeschool. I did not like the amount of "laws" governing over what my child eats, how many days are excused and why my child is penalized if I take her out early due to the fact she is in the gym watching a Disney movie! We can do this at home, cuddled up on the sofa if we wanted to. Although this did not happen in our 2 years at a public school but one time, it bugged me that they told me about it. I also do not see the point of sending a kindergartener to school if there is a substitute and all she did was play all day. My child should not be penalized, if her teacher were not present, for not being there. I was and would always be willing to take my child out of school for a family vacation, Disney or not-so long as they were making good grades and not struggling.
Homeschooling IS hard, but the benefits outweigh the hard parts! I would put my children back into the public school system (at that school-it was a good school with LOTS of parental involvement), should that day come, but for now, the stress levels of not having to deal with all that mess is better for our family.

I SO agree with this-my child is my responsibility, and as a responsible parent, these were all reasons we decided to homeschool. I did not like the amount of "laws" governing over what my child eats, how many days are excused and why my child is penalized if I take her out early due to the fact she is in the gym watching a Disney movie! We can do this at home, cuddled up on the sofa if we wanted to. Although this did not happen in our 2 years at a public school but one time, it bugged me that they told me about it. I also do not see the point of sending a kindergartener to school if there is a substitute and all she did was play all day. My child should not be penalized, if her teacher were not present, for not being there. I was and would always be willing to take my child out of school for a family vacation, Disney or not-so long as they were making good grades and not struggling.
Homeschooling IS hard, but the benefits outweigh the hard parts! I would put my children back into the public school system (at that school-it was a good school with LOTS of parental involvement), should that day come, but for now, the stress levels of not having to deal with all that mess is better for our family.

I couldn't agree more! BTW I was homeschooled for the last 4 years of jr high and high school and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I'm of the opinion that my child is JUST THAT.....MY CHILD!!! :)

I always pull our 2 kids out of school for vacations. :eek: Due to my husbands job, we go when we can go (and summer time is just NOT an option). We do try to minimize the time they miss from school by planning around Columbus Day, teacher in-service days, Thanksgiving, Spring Break, etc. We also give several weeks notice to the school administration and the teachers. I learned after our very first trip to make sure you tell the office in addition to the teachers, cause it really stinks to be walking down Main Street and have the attendance office ringing your cell phone and wanting you to know that your child is not in school for the day. :lmao:

I have never encountered any grief from teachers or the school regarding absences. I also do not even try to hide the fact that this is a vacation. DD13 and DS15 have always had all their work completed for their first day back at school after our WDW trips. Most of the teachers are even thrilled at giving the kids assignments that encompass their trip-such as keeping a journal, collecting items (free stuff) around WDW, doing reports on a country at Epcot, etc.. I think the school system here allows 15 days out per year, but even with our taking 2 vacations during the school year (and including illness-however rare), my kids manage to average somewhere between 7-10 days out for the year.

On the flip side, my aunt allows my cousin, 16, to play hooky all the time and stay home when she "doesn't feel well" (which is a lot). The kid is constantly in danger of being suspended from school for excessive absences. Then my aunt will be talking to me and give me the disapproving tone when I say we are going away-during school time-and she tells me that she could never take my cousin out of school for vacation because she would miss too many days. It just makes me shake my head. :crazy: I think the key is to be a responsible parent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter