School districts punishing parents for taking kids out for Disney!

It doesn't seem to have upset many people in those districts.

Honestly I'm not sure what to think. Not saying good or bad, but just not sure. I don't like the last line tho that if you can afford a trip you can afford and extra $36 per day per kid Some people vacation on a strict budget where others dont, i dont see how that plays into it, maybe you have saved for a very long time to take the trip.

I don't like the last line tho that if you can afford a trip you can afford and extra $36 per day per kid Some people vacation on a strict budget where others dont, i dont see how that plays into it, maybe you have saved for a very long time to take the trip.

Yes, I find that offensive too.

Tha iz sew dum! Watt duz it hert kidz too skip a liddle skool ever now and then? :rolleyes1

Seriously, I think it's tacky to send those letters out and ask for reimbursement. Those parents paid tax dollars for their children to attend public school in the first place. IMO, the state needs to put a stop to school systems asking for money.

The way that letter was worded upsets me too! :headache:

As a teacher, I say okay. Schools need every penny they can get and if parents are going to take students out of school for vacations and the district loses money because of that, then I don't see anything wrong with it. If the district loses money due to those kinds of absences, then it starts to hurt all the kids in the school. I would pay it myself if I could take my kids out of school during an off time.

Well hopefully when they have to close the school due there purposes that they reimburse the families (ie like the +++# of snow days...even though it is sunny and not a flake in the sky...or the X# of pd days). This is completly ludarcrist. Some people like myself can not take time off to coinside with the schedule of our school as it is considered prime time, I always make my kids take and do the homework their teachers assign, so I don't see the big issue here. Maybe when they are in high school but grade school, come on! I guess I'm glad to live in Canada!

When schools start cutting administrative cost, I might start to feel bad for them. Until then, no crying poverty.

That is so stupid!!! My son's school encourages parents to take kids on vacation during the school year. We were nervous last year about pulling him out the beginning of April to go to WDW but once we let the school know that was when they told us we shouldn't worry. My son is in the 3rd grade this year (doing 5th grade work :) ) so I really don't see what's the big deal.

If a parent pulls them out multiple times per year that could cause problems, but come on get over yourself!!! :confused: :confused:

When schools start cutting administrative cost, I might start to feel bad for them. Until then, no crying poverty.

I couldn't agree with you more. As a parent, I feel that my school district cuts from the kids left and right, but for some reason admin staff gets yearly raises... Most people around here get a quarter or so a year, and they get thousands. Where do our tax dollars really go, and why on earth would I want to give money that will just go into a personal account somewhere.

I don't think that I would have a problem paying for my kids to be out of school if it was truly a financial hardship for the school system. BUT if that school system is in such dire straights, I would also be expecting that all other extracurriculars are being paid for by parents as well. $36.xx is a bargain to me for everything that my kids get in return for quality family time in a place that offers all kinds of educational opportunities. I would hope that the parents of school athletes, musicians, dancers, and other activities would feel the same and offer to fork over the same funds required to provide the transportation, uniforms, and equipment. I know that in most school systems those things are part of the budget. If the school districts can work that into the yearly financials, perhaps they should look at the value of time with families and budget for that as well. JMO.

Im not sure how I feel about that. Our public schools in Louisiana are in horrible shape and the teachers are about the lowest paid in the country.
Im ok with giving the schools extra money, but I didnt realize they lose money when kids are absent.

Ah, a school district that actually admits that it is indeed all about the money. No one seems too concerned that the children are missing out on academic instruction.

So glad we homeschool. :)

Not sure how I feel about this either. I guess it would be easier to fork over a check and not worry about the attendance office.

Im not sure how I feel about that. Our public schools in Louisiana are in horrible shape and the teachers are about the lowest paid in the country.
Im ok with giving the schools extra money, but I didnt realize they lose money when kids are absent.

I don't think all school systems do this. It sounded pretty specific to CA. Not sure though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter