Say Goodbye to the Auction Scene in Pirates

Personally, I like the idea of changing the scene from one of enslavement to one of empowerment. And as far as historical accuracy is concerned, there is historical evidence for female pirates so the new scene will just be presenting a different aspect of piracy.

Yeah, I roll my eyes too and other things.

As the Mother of a beautiful "Red Headed" social worker (who has done the most fantastic work with young people if I may boast) I'm trying to decide what the heck is wrong with me. I have ridden this ride 100's of times. Never ever ever in my wildest dreams did I invasion it turning into a PC issue. I also plan on working with/volunteering to help stop human trafficking and internet inticing of young people (horrific crimes) when I retire. Still never ever ever did this ride appear to me to be a PC issue or offensive to me. It's a scene from pirate movies from yesteryear.......I can't/won't equate it to trying to promote the of harming women.

I love ya all, but we are losing our minds as a society if we can't even go to Disneyland and enjoy a ride for what it is, a cute depiction of stories from yesteryear. Sometimes when we become too sensitive we actually do more harm than good. If the ride is politically incorrect maybe we can just tell our children "see how far we have come -- we don't do that anymore".

Last edited:
Like others on this thread, I too am disappointed with the change. However, not because I have enjoy the content presented (human trafficking), but because it's seems to be OK to rewrite history. I don't know about you, but I have young kids that have asked about that scene - and my response was - "Yeah, Pirates were horrible people. There weren't like Jack Sparrow in the movies, everyone was afraid of them."

As the Mother of a beautiful "Red Headed" social worker (who has done the most fantastic work with young people if I may boast) I'm trying to decide what the heck is wrong with me. I have ridden this ride 100's of times. Never ever ever in my wildest dreams did I invasion it turning into a PC issue. I also plan on working with/volunteering to help stop human trafficking and internet inticing of young people (horrific crimes) when I retire. Still never ever ever did this ride appear to me to be a PC issue or offensive to me. It's a scene from pirate movies from yesteryear.......I can't/won't equate it to trying to promote the harming women.

I love ya all, but we are losing our minds as a society if we can't even go to Disneyland and enjoy a ride for what it is, a cute depiction of stories from yesteryear. Sometimes when we become too sensitive we actually do more harm than good. If the ride is politically incorrect maybe we can just tell our children "see how far we have come -- we don't do that anymore".

It probably never entered your mind because you were on a ride, in a theme park, and not watching a promotional video to encourage human trafficking or taking in a march for slave-trader rights.

Now that this has opened my eyes, I'm going to have to avert them from the Mission Breakout queue video that shows Gamora imprisoned and shocked by the electrified walls - all just for some man's amusement. It's just more normalization of violence against women.

Oh no. what about the Collector's servants? I never got the impression they were serving him willingly...

:guilty::(:rolleyes:

Of all the things they could spend money, effort, and time changing, this would definitely not be on my list.

This right here is a great point. Disney is going to take PotC out of commission for 3-4 months. Again. Not to improve the effects. Not find a way to squeeze more people through the ride faster. Just to change a timeless scene, no doubt designed and approved by THE Walt Disney.

Take that money and find a way to keep Alice in Wonderland and Big Thunder Mountain from shutting down every single day. Spend some cash so that the special effects in the Indiana Jones queue actually work. Make the Matterhorn smoother and faster! These are things that would help the guest experience. Shutting down the #1 ride (as was voted on in the Top 5 post a few weeks ago) for several months just to change a scene for political purposes just doesn't make sense.

It probably never entered your mind because you were on a ride, in a theme park, and not watching a promotional video to encourage human trafficking or taking in a march for slave-trader rights.
:guilty::(:rolleyes:

And cause when they say "we wants red heads" instead of being offended I take it as they think the red heads are the prettiest :) ..... I'm sill befuddled by this whole thing.

"Mommy, what is this auction about?"

"Well, dear, the pirates over here have kidnapped these women and are selling them into slavery. The pirates over there are buying the women so they can rape them."

"That's delightful, Mommy. I hope no poopy pants liberals ever ask for this scene to be altered."

:rotfl2:

I think it's misguided to say this attraction is being changed due to PC reasons and jumping to blame it on "liberals." Personally I'm one ... when my girls were young the scene made me _slightly_ uncomfortable, mainly because I didn't really want to explain the implied sexual assault (they never brought it up, so it ended up being a moot point). But I would ever complain to Disney about it or let it affect my enjoyment of the attraction.

But one of my best friends, who is ultra-conservative, refused to let her daughters even ride the attraction because she didn't like the implication that sex (not sexual assault) was involved. And she did, in fact, write a letter to Disney about it.

No doubt today's political climate is charging some people's reactions to this decision a little more than it might otherwise. People getting so upset about this change that they'll never ride Pirates again? Really? Is it really because of the change to ONE SCENE or is it because you think the people and/or reasoning associated with that change might not agree with your political point of view?

I enjoyed the ride as it was and will continue to enjoy it after the scene is changed.

This right here is a great point. Disney is going to take PotC out of commission for 3-4 months. Again. Not to improve the effects. Not find a way to squeeze more people through the ride faster. Just to change a timeless scene, no doubt designed and approved by THE Walt Disney.

Take that money and find a way to keep Alice in Wonderland and Big Thunder Mountain from shutting down every single day. Spend some cash so that the special effects in the Indiana Jones queue actually work. Make the Matterhorn smoother and faster! These are things that would help the guest experience. Shutting down the #1 ride (as was voted on in the Top 5 post a few weeks ago) for several months just to change a scene for political purposes just doesn't make sense.

Now THIS I agree with. Have they really said it's going to be down for that long for this change?

I've always thought that the scene isn't self-contained. It pays off further down, when you see all of the women from the auction (except the redhead) chasing the men who bought them. They aren't enslaved. They may have been purchased, but the men aren't any better off for it. The women come into their own.

I've always thought that the scene isn't self-contained. It pays off further down, when you see all of the women from the auction (except the redhead) chasing the men who bought them. They aren't enslaved. They may have been purchased, but the men aren't any better off for it. The women come into their own.

That scene is itself a "PC" change that people complained about to no end when it happened years ago. The joke used to be that the pirates where chasing the women to rape them, except for the overweight woman -- the pirate was running away from her because she was too fat to rape. Walt loved that joke!

Now THIS I agree with. Have they really said it's going to be down for that long for this change?

Now see. Two people from opposite sides of the aisle coming to agreement. It can be done!!!! :sunny:

As for refurb time, there's nothing official yet. But it took them a month last year just get to the fog machines and projections back on track. To change a whole scene full of animatronics??? I would guess 3 months.

I also wonder how they'll get the pirates voices to match their old voices with new dialogue...should they use the same characters. Or will they eliminate "Captain Morgan" altogether?

That scene is itself a "PC" change that people complained about to no end when it happened years ago. The joke used to be that the pirates where chasing the women to rape them, except for the overweight woman -- the pirate was running away from her because she was too fat to rape. Walt loved that joke!
I do not know the details of this and Walt Disney himself. It may very well be true. Although I doubt Walt Disney perceived it as endorsing rape in anyway. Heck, he had two daughters.

There are just so many things one can take shots at Disney about if we are going down this route. To wit, in case none of you have noticed, Disney is overrun with princesses. And not just run-of-the-mill princesses, but physically attractive princesses portrayed by physically attractive young women. I think we all know that most young women do not look like these princesses, and most young girls will not grow up to look like these princesses. There are some who take Disney to task over this, and how it can hurt young women's and young girl's self esteem when they realize that they do not look like these princesses.

Even so, people clamor for princesses. To meet them at meet & greets, to meet them at character dining events, to explore their castles, to see them in parades, to go on rides about princesses. People clamor to the point that Disney transformed part of DL into Princess Fantasy Faire to provide better, more non-stop access to princesses. WDW did the same at New FantasyLand at MK with many new, non-stop access venues to princesses. Disney created the Bibbity Bobbity Boutique to transform young girls into princesses. Should the Disney PC police put a stop to all of this because it is (maybe) bad to set up young girls for real or imagined future disappointment? Even though it was what people have said over and over is what they want?

For heaven's sake, people know the difference between make believe and real life. We are talking about fairytales here!

The POTC ride has so many elements when taken out of a romanticized, fairytale type setting (if you will) that one can criticize if one attempts to take them as literal statements. As others have said, there is drunkenness, people dunking (torturing) the mayor in a well for information, people shooting at each other, people stealing, people burning down cities, people greedy for "treasure", and on and on. All with a wink and a nod. Heck, the Peter Pan ride shows Wendy being walked down the plank! To her certain death, no doubt.

In the end I find it strange that, if someone finds something offensive, they just don't avoid it. Do not go on the ride if it offends you. Do not go to Disney at all if one believes that attractive young princesses are offensive and harmful to the self esteem of young women and girls.

We all know there are ills in society in non-optional activities that impact people and women. Within abusive families. Within the workplace. In geographic regions torn by violence and instability. These should be confronted and changed. Optional activities like Disney rides? I agree with others that there are far better things on which to spend one's time.

:wizard:

I am offended that the pirates drink rum and are encouraging us to drink in their songs.

I am also offended that the pirates use guns and other weapons.

I am also offended that the pirates have cannons on their ships to shoot at other ships and the town.

I am offended that the pirates are burning down buildings with fire.

I am also offended that the pirates are waterboarding the guy in the well.

I am going to write several letters to have them erase all these things that actually happened in those days.

I think it's misguided to say this attraction is being changed due to PC reasons and jumping to blame it on "liberals." Personally I'm one ... when my girls were young the scene made me _slightly_ uncomfortable, mainly because I didn't really want to explain the implied sexual assault (they never brought it up, so it ended up being a moot point). But I would ever complain to Disney about it or let it affect my enjoyment of the attraction.

But one of my best friends, who is ultra-conservative, refused to let her daughters even ride the attraction because she didn't like the implication that sex (not sexual assault) was involved. And she did, in fact, write a letter to Disney about it.

No doubt today's political climate is charging some people's reactions to this decision a little more than it might otherwise. People getting so upset about this change that they'll never ride Pirates again? Really? Is it really because of the change to ONE SCENE or is it because you think the people and/or reasoning associated with that change might not agree with your political point of view?

I enjoyed the ride as it was and will continue to enjoy it after the scene is changed.
It's not about politics. I'm very against the ride being sanitized like this, and I'm a political liberal.

Every time I have ridden POTC, and our boat has sailed past this scene, people laugh. And every time I think, what about this is funny? Is it funny to see women be sold as property? Is it funny to imagine rape? Is it funny to hear men demean women? Every time, it makes me feel weirded out and gross.

And not only does the scene depict an un-funny rape joke that makes guests feel gross, it's also lazy: rape jokes are (still!) common and ubiquitous. I agree with squeezle that the more interesting and innovative approach to the scene is to feature female pirates being complete characters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter