Sand and Sun ~ Trip Number Ten Was Lots of Fun! Clearwater Beach & YC, August 2013

:lmao::lmao::lmao: :rotfl2: I must have scarred you for life with that story because I don't think you'll ever forget it!!! :rotfl:

So sorry you had a similar experience. :faint: Now Triceratop Spin will be forever tainted with perversion just like the poor Voyage of the Little Mermaid! :rotfl2:

I think it did scar me for life!!! :scared1: I thought of it as soon as the perversion started right in front of us. It was so bad that I said to DS14 - if I see that guy's tongue one more time I am going to rip it out of his head!! :eek::faint: :rotfl:

When my boys were younger I always traveled late August. I loved it until one year it was terribly hot and crowded. Then high school sports started and we switched to early June. I still look back with fondness on those August trips because it was such a great way to close out the summer.

I would LOVE to stay at the YC but will probably never be able to justify it with owning DVC. It looks like such a fabulous, and as you said, quiet place to stay.

I definitely don't think the dining plan is for everyone. Some people love it. Others not so much. I haven't used it in quite a while and that works well for us since we have TIW.

Looking forward to your next TR. Oh - and yeah - I couldn't stand to be at the beach a whole week either. :rotfl:

It is a nice way to end the summer. The only thing I don't like about it is that I sometimes feel like we are wishing our summer away waiting for it to come! :faint:

I thought sports might mess this one up since DS12 will be on the MS soccer team by then and they start practice in early August, which I was told was mandatory. So I hunted down his future coach and found him and gave him the scoop and he is fine with it! So, we are good for a few more years. Not sure what will happen once he's on the HS team.

I don't know how to explain the difference between the YC and BC. The YC is just more laid back I guess. So quiet and peaceful. Such a different feel. More elegant I think too. :cloud9:

We have used the dining since 2009, we liked it very much. However on this past September trip we decided to go without the plan.we liked doing without the plan. We just don't eat that much food when we are on vacation. Splitting CS for lunch & having our main meal also a CS worked well for us. We did do Boma for dinner & the cost for OOP wasn't that bad. We did go for a discount on the room instead of free dining, it was a better way to go.

I guess each family has to weigh out the pros and cons of having/not having the DDP. Some of our Agency Exclusive specials we offer do not offer the DDP. Mainly the ones where the deluxe resorts are very deeply discounted. Some people just can't get past not being able to have the DDP and will pass up some of the most popular Deluxe resorts for less than $200 a night. :faint:

Hi Shelly! :goodvibes I can't believe this trip is over already. I can't wait to hear all about it. The photos were cute. Your oldest changes with every trip!

There is nothing worst than being sick on vacation.:sick:

I am also interested in how the Yacht club differs from the Beach Club. At Beaches can you sit at the counter without reservations?

Welcome Home!:):goodvibes

You actually get pricing that low on deluxe resorts?! That's what I look for, wow, my last pin was for 35% off.

Hi Shelly! :goodvibes I can't believe this trip is over already. I can't wait to hear all about it. The photos were cute. Your oldest changes with every trip!

There is nothing worst than being sick on vacation.:sick:

I am also interested in how the Yacht club differs from the Beach Club. At Beaches can you sit at the counter without reservations?

Welcome Home!:):goodvibes

I know, it was WAY too short!! :faint: DS14 does change every trip it seems. :confused3 He needs to stop that!! :rotfl:

I'm not sure about the counter seating at B&C.... That's a good question. Anyone know?

You actually get pricing that low on deluxe resorts?! That's what I look for, wow, my last pin was for 35% off.

Yep!! Only for certain dates and certain resorts, but yes it is pretty amazing! :cool1:

Just wanted to say I appreciate your honesty too. I think in this life there is never such a thing as too much honesty.

:teeth:

:lmao:

I forgot to mention that I met a DISer at the WL!! I think it was last Sunday. We were coming out of the Roaring Forks and I heard someone call my name! I turned around and it was Sue (Wood Nymph). We chatted a bit with her and her DH, very nice people! The kids love when that happens, it makes them feel famous or something! :rotfl:

Yikes! That view is something else! Not sure what that "something else" is but it's not a good something else. :crazy2: Now you know to mark Wilderness Lodge off your list of Disney resorts to stay in. It's great that you posted those pictures so that others will know exactly what a standard view room looks like there. If we were to ever book WL, I'd definitely not book standard.

Looking forward to hearing all about the trip...the good, the bad and the ugly. Wait, we've already seen the bad and ugly when you posted the pics.:rotfl:

You can walk up to B&C and request a seat at the counter if it is available. We did this last January when my sister, husband and myself attempted to eat the Kitchen Sink. OMG. Never again. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Yikes! That view is something else! Not sure what that "something else" is but it's not a good something else. :crazy2: Now you know to mark Wilderness Lodge off your list of Disney resorts to stay in. It's great that you posted those pictures so that others will know exactly what a standard view room looks like there. If we were to ever book WL, I'd definitely not book standard.

Looking forward to hearing all about the trip...the good, the bad and the ugly. Wait, we've already seen the bad and ugly when you posted the pics.:rotfl:

Yeah, something else is putting it nicely. :rotfl: Pretty unbelievable. :confused3

Well that was most of the bad & ugly on this trip, so hopefully everything else I report will be good! :thumbsup2

You can walk up to B&C and request a seat at the counter if it is available. We did this last January when my sister, husband and myself attempted to eat the Kitchen Sink. OMG. Never again. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Thanks for the info, good to know! :goodvibes

I forgot to mention that I met a DISer at the WL!! I think it was last Sunday. We were coming out of the Roaring Forks and I heard someone call my name! I turned around and it was Sue (Wood Nymph). We chatted a bit with her and her DH, very nice people! The kids love when that happens, it makes them feel famous or something! :rotfl:
Hi Shelly, it was nice to run into you and your family. I thought your family was very brave to go swimming in the chilly weather. I'm glad that your boys enjoyed the meeting. They seemed a little shocked that someone knew who their mom was. ;)

Hi Shelly, it was nice to run into you and your family. I thought your family was very brave to go swimming in the chilly weather. I'm glad that your boys enjoyed the meeting. They seemed a little shocked that someone knew who their mom was. ;)

It was so nice meeting you and your DH. :goodvibes When we walked away my DH said - was that one of your clients? And I said no, and DS14 jumped in and said - it was someone from the DIS Boards, duh!! :rotfl:

OMG so much to read!!!!!!! I'll get started.... Btw thanks for all your help with my trip!!!!!!

Disney here we come!!!!! May 2014

OMG so much to read!!!!!!! I'll get started.... Btw thanks for all your help with my trip!!!!!!

Disney here we come!!!!! May 2014

Hey Mari!! :goodvibes I'm getting ready to start the next TR, if you want to wait and read that one! (Although this August one is much better :))

You're very welcome! Thank you so much for trusting me with your vacation plans, it means a lot. :hug:

I bet you and your DD are so excited!! :cool1:

We've stayed at both the BC and YC and I agree with what you said about the YC. It is more elegant but laid back at the same time. You had a lot better room view at the YC than at the WL.

Have you decided to go back to the Poly on your next trip? We like to go over there for the pork nachos at Captain Cook's.

We don't like the dining plan either. I almost never eat desserts at my meals, so having them included was such a waste. I can see the value in it for families with young children who want to do a lot of character meals. And free dining is a great value if you are staying in a value or mod. But it isn't for us.

I'm glad you had at least one warm day on your recent trip. I'm looking forward to reading that trip report. :)

We've stayed at both the BC and YC and I agree with what you said about the YC. It is more elegant but laid back at the same time. You had a lot better room view at the YC than at the WL.

Yes, we loved the feel of the YC. And the view was awesome. :cloud9:

Have you decided to go back to the Poly on your next trip? We like to go over there for the pork nachos at Captain Cook's.

Yes, we will be at the Poly in August. Just haven't decided if we should stay there the whole trip or just half and do a split with the BWI...

We don't like the dining plan either. I almost never eat desserts at my meals, so having them included was such a waste. I can see the value in it for families with young children who want to do a lot of character meals. And free dining is a great value if you are staying in a value or mod. But it isn't for us.

I'm glad you had at least one warm day on your recent trip. I'm looking forward to reading that trip report. :)

There is so much waste on the DDP. For us anyway. I'd rather just buy what we are going to eat.

It was definitely a great deal when the kids were younger and we wanted to do a bunch of buffets and character meals. So I do recommend it to my clients with little ones. ::yes::

Hey, hey, hey! Welcome back Shelly. :wave:

I'm all caught up and ready for the next one!

(hint..hint)

;)

Thanks Kelli! :goodvibes

I'm hoping to get that TR started very soon. :thumbsup2

Let's get this August 2013 TR wrapped up! :cool1:

Final Thoughts...

I guess I'll start with the same question I always start with in my final thoughts – Was this the best trip ever??? Well, no. But, it was pretty good!! Definitely in the top 5!

BEACH: Well, what can I say? We tried. :rotfl: We did like it. A lot. Especially DS14. It just isn't going to be an every year thing for us. I honestly don't know how people go there for a week or more. I would be bored out of my mind!! Two days was plenty for us.

WEATHER. Well, it was HOT. :faint: Stinking HOT. Hotter than our previous August trip. It was hard to take at times. But, luckily it wasn't our first or last trip and we didn't need to try to cram everything in. We just took it easy and did what we could. We got a ton of rain. That was disappointing. Every single day I think it rained. Some days it was only an hour or two and other days it was several hours.

CROWDS and PARKS. It was a bit more crowded than I had expected. I was expecting more like our previous late August trip (even though we went a week earlier this time), but got more like beginning of May crowds. So, not terrible, but not super low crowds either. We definitely got to do everything we wanted to.

RESORT. We never really intended on staying at the YC, but with such a great deal we really couldn't pass it up. And now I'm glad we didn't!! What a difference from the BC. So much more relaxed and quiet. We really lucked out with an upgraded view as well. I'm sure that added to our fondness of the resort. :cloud9:

TRANSPORTATION. No real complaints here. We could walk to Epcot in about 5 minutes and boat to DHS in about 15-20 minutes. We knew the bus ride to/from DTD was a long one with 5 resorts sharing a bus, so we allowed for plenty of time there.

DINING. We went without the DDP again and loved it again!! I know, not a very good selling point now that I am a Travel Agent for Disney!! And I actually find that most of my clients LOVE the DDP. For us right now though, it's just not a good fit. Someday it may be a better fit, once the boys are a little older. We had some really good meals. We enjoyed Chefs de France and Be Our Guest for the first time! We thought Il Mulino was just okay. Everything else was a repeat and all very good, except for the CS Mexican place.

Looking forward to our Disney future......

I think we will continue to go in late August. It is just a good time for us to travel with not starting school until after Labor Day. Plus the agency I work for offers a super great Labor Day Agency Exclusive special during that time of year. And we are having a special private dinner in Norway for our agents and clients on August 23 this year.

So, we are booked for August 2014!

And I hope to make it out to DL in 2015. :wizard: Not sure of when just yet.... Thinking late January, early May, or mid June.

Guess that's it. I hope you have enjoyed!! Thanks for sharing in this journey with my family and I!

:grouphug:

I am a total slacker and haven't read your whole TR yet but I did want to read your final thoughts. I wanted to jump in and say that the private room in Norway is so nice! During my agency's mini conference in August 2012 we ended up there due to some rain for our dessert party. It was such a treat being a super secret room!

I am a total slacker and haven't read your whole TR yet but I did want to read your final thoughts. I wanted to jump in and say that the private room in Norway is so nice! During my agency's mini conference in August 2012 we ended up there due to some rain for our dessert party. It was such a treat being a super secret room!

Good to hear! :thumbsup2 We are very excited about it - agents and clients!! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter