Sand and Sun ~ Trip Number Ten Was Lots of Fun! Clearwater Beach & YC, August 2013

Oh boy about the room. That stinks. The hotel is so pretty and you got such a crappy room. Sorry

Thanks Huggie. :)

Hi Shelley. I am enjoying your trip report and thought it was time to say hi. Boy that is the worst view I don't think I will ever book a standard view at WL for fear of getting that room. Sorry you got sick. Love the selfies! You have a beautiful family.

Hi there! :goodvibes Welcome to the TR!! Glad you have been enjoying. Thanks for posting!

Yeah, we didn't have much luck with the room view this time. :( Oh well, we still had a good trip. :)

Nobody paying that much money should have to deal with issues like that. Especially no hot water....what!!?? Are you kidding?
To me it's not so much the awful view but the NOISE! I wouldn't want to be woken up to that on vacation.
Sorry about the resort. You probably would have loved it if you had a better view w no noise.

Food poisioning... Yuck! :( Glad you were better the next day. I'm sure you were nervous you wouldn't be.

We'll we leave in a couple of weeks. No FP+ yet but I did get an invite from DH's account to connect to his friends and family so we can book FP+. So don't get it. Very confused. I think I'm gonna call today.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

That's pretty much what I said -- I could have dealt with the view. I was almost expecting it. The service area and trucks, that is. Wasn't really expecting to have to look at the power boxes or garbage. Still could have dealt with all that, but the noise is what really ruined it for us. :sad2:

That is weird about the FP+. You should definitely call. I have a number specific for MDE problems if you need it.

Welcome Back!

Sorry your WL experience was not the best. I have to agree that it was a pretty horrible room view. It really does detract from the rest of the lodge which is so lovely. I didn't exactly like the WL after my first stay there and I really thought I was going to. But I've been back since and its definitely grown on me.

Sorry about the GI illness. That is definitely no fun, especially on vacation.

I have officially finished your TR. Thanks for sharing. It was a wonderful vacation.

I really cracked up when I saw your dog with his new oven mitt. Too funny. :rotfl2:

Thanks! :)

Yes, unfortunately everything we dealt with there really did detract from the rest of the resort. It is a beautiful place. Just not for us.

Glad you enjoyed the TR! :goodvibes Thanks for reading. I hope to start a new one soon.

:worried:

I can't believe you had ALL of those issues with the room--- and would someone please for the love of pete PLEASE tell me what the heck the swamp water was out there that you had to look at?????? You'd think it was Universal and Shrek was coming out of that cesspool looking nastiness.

:faint:

And no hot water?!

I think a letter is needed. There is no reason at all for people to have to deal with the noise, the view and no hot water all at the same time. Unreal.:(

Cute pics of y'all though! Love your pink MM scarf!!!:love: And your hair----- SO LONG!!!!!!:faint: So pretty!!! Don't cut it!!!

:worried:

I can't believe you had ALL of those issues with the room--- and would someone please for the love of pete PLEASE tell me what the heck the swamp water was out there that you had to look at?????? You'd think it was Universal and Shrek was coming out of that cesspool looking nastiness.

:faint:

And no hot water?!

I think a letter is needed. There is no reason at all for people to have to deal with the noise, the view and no hot water all at the same time. Unreal.:(

I know, it was a bit ridiculous. :confused: I don't know what that muddy mess was. :confused3 It bubbled though. :eek: After it rained on Wednesday it filled up with water. We joked that we now had a 'water view'. :rotfl:

It's a good dang thing that I wasn't a first time guest at WDW. I would have ran away screaming thinking the whole place was terrible. :scared1:

Cute pics of y'all though! Love your pink MM scarf!!!:love: And your hair----- SO LONG!!!!!!:faint: So pretty!!! Don't cut it!!!

Thanks! :goodvibes The hair is going soon!!! :eek: You know how I get in a mood and then it's chopped off!! :confused3:rotfl:

Let's get this August 2013 TR wrapped up! :cool1:

Final Thoughts...

I guess I'll start with the same question I always start with in my final thoughts – Was this the best trip ever??? Well, no. But, it was pretty good!! Definitely in the top 5!

BEACH: Well, what can I say? We tried. :rotfl: We did like it. A lot. Especially DS14. It just isn't going to be an every year thing for us. I honestly don't know how people go there for a week or more. I would be bored out of my mind!! Two days was plenty for us.

WEATHER. Well, it was HOT. :faint: Stinking HOT. Hotter than our previous August trip. It was hard to take at times. But, luckily it wasn't our first or last trip and we didn't need to try to cram everything in. We just took it easy and did what we could. We got a ton of rain. That was disappointing. Every single day I think it rained. Some days it was only an hour or two and other days it was several hours.

CROWDS and PARKS. It was a bit more crowded than I had expected. I was expecting more like our previous late August trip (even though we went a week earlier this time), but got more like beginning of May crowds. So, not terrible, but not super low crowds either. We definitely got to do everything we wanted to.

RESORT. We never really intended on staying at the YC, but with such a great deal we really couldn't pass it up. And now I'm glad we didn't!! What a difference from the BC. So much more relaxed and quiet. We really lucked out with an upgraded view as well. I'm sure that added to our fondness of the resort. :cloud9:

TRANSPORTATION. No real complaints here. We could walk to Epcot in about 5 minutes and boat to DHS in about 15-20 minutes. We knew the bus ride to/from DTD was a long one with 5 resorts sharing a bus, so we allowed for plenty of time there.

DINING. We went without the DDP again and loved it again!! I know, not a very good selling point now that I am a Travel Agent for Disney!! And I actually find that most of my clients LOVE the DDP. For us right now though, it's just not a good fit. Someday it may be a better fit, once the boys are a little older. We had some really good meals. We enjoyed Chefs de France and Be Our Guest for the first time! We thought Il Mulino was just okay. Everything else was a repeat and all very good, except for the CS Mexican place.

Looking forward to our Disney future......

I think we will continue to go in late August. It is just a good time for us to travel with not starting school until after Labor Day. Plus the agency I work for offers a super great Labor Day Agency Exclusive special during that time of year. And we are having a special private dinner in Norway for our agents and clients on August 23 this year.

So, we are booked for August 2014!

And I hope to make it out to DL in 2015. :wizard: Not sure of when just yet.... Thinking late January, early May, or mid June.

Guess that's it. I hope you have enjoyed!! Thanks for sharing in this journey with my family and I!

:grouphug:

I really enjoyed traveling through your TR. Your boys are such good kids & your family has a lot of fun in WDW.

Thanks for the ride along.

Well, I guess we know now what Standard View means. Not good!

I don't think that anyone, paying any amount of money anywhere should have no hot water for any length of time. That stinks.

That's the good thing about WDW - there's resorts for everyone. At least you're willing to try different ones and see which ones are for you!

So sorry you got sick from Chef Mickey's. That's a bummer - taints the restaurant too.

You know what I like about your TRs - your honesty. You tell it like it was - good, bad or otherwise - very informative. And your boys are so fun! Looking forward to your next one! :thumbsup2

You know what I like about your TRs - your honesty. You tell it like it was - good, bad or otherwise - very informative. And your boys are so fun! Looking forward to your next one! :thumbsup2

Agreed! This is what I think is best about all of your TR's. You clearly love Disney, but nothing is sugar coated. If you like something you say it... if you don't like it you say it ..... LOUD. :rotfl: That's just like us. We know that Disney has it's flaws. We aren't going to love every resort/ride/park/show/meal etc etc.... but there is enough good things to keep us coming back.

Definitely looking forward to hearing about this trip (even with the nasy bubbling swamp view :confused: :eek: :sad2: :guilty: :( ) and hopefully reading a PTR for August! :cool1:

Water view! :lmao: Now that's funny! At least you could laugh at the situation! Sometimes that's all you can do.

I do have to say though that I don't understand why they would even have a balcony on a room with that kind of view??? Seems like they would just have standard windows there. :confused3 And I am very surprised by them having all that stuff in plain sight. Disney always does such a good job of covering up the ugly stuff. Strange.

As for your feelings on the beach... I think that is the perfect reason for you to try a cruise. If you did the 3 night cruise, you would only have 2 days at the beach. You have to get off the ship really early on the last day (like 7:30 am), so it's really not 3 days of beach time like it sounds. You don't even have to board the ship until 3:00 on the day that it sets sail. And the good thing about the cruise is that there is plenty of stuff to do on the ship when you are not on the beach, so you wouldn't get so bored. You get to eat at nice restaurants every night too, just like at Disney. I think it's a much better option than a regular beach trip (although it can cost a lot more too). In a few years when you get the itch to take another beach trip, I think you should consider the 3 night cruise, especially since it's a tax write-off an all. :)

DDP... I agree, most people I deal with love it too, including us! That might be because we have always gotten it for free though! :laughing: But I can definitely see how it wouldn't be a good fit for everyone. I just know how I am and if we didn't have the DDP, I would never pay out of pocket for certain meals and snacks because they cost so much. Just not having to look at menu prices is worth it alone for us... for now anyway.

I am so glad that you liked the YC. BC has always been at the top of my resort wish list, but after your experience, I think we might be better off at the YC if we ever get to stay in that area. Between the YC and the BWI, which did you like better?

Can wait for the new TR to begin!!! :goodvibes

Water view! :lmao: Now that's funny! At least you could laugh at the situation! Sometimes that's all you can do.

I do have to say though that I don't understand why they would even have a balcony on a room with that kind of view??? Seems like they would just have standard windows there. :confused3 And I am very surprised by them having all that stuff in plain sight. Disney always does such a good job of covering up the ugly stuff. Strange.

As for your feelings on the beach... I think that is the perfect reason for you to try a cruise. If you did the 3 night cruise, you would only have 2 days at the beach. You have to get off the ship really early on the last day (like 7:30 am), so it's really not 3 days of beach time like it sounds. You don't even have to board the ship until 3:00 on the day that it sets sail. And the good thing about the cruise is that there is plenty of stuff to do on the ship when you are not on the beach, so you wouldn't get so bored. You get to eat at nice restaurants every night too, just like at Disney. I think it's a much better option than a regular beach trip (although it can cost a lot more too). In a few years when you get the itch to take another beach trip, I think you should consider the 3 night cruise, especially since it's a tax write-off an all. :)

DDP... I agree, most people I deal with love it too, including us! That might be because we have always gotten it for free though! :laughing: But I can definitely see how it wouldn't be a good fit for everyone. I just know how I am and if we didn't have the DDP, I would never pay out of pocket for certain meals and snacks because they cost so much. Just not having to look at menu prices is worth it alone for us... for now anyway.

I am so glad that you liked the YC. BC has always been at the top of my resort wish list, but after your experience, I think we might be better off at the YC if we ever get to stay in that area. Between the YC and the BWI, which did you like better?

We love the cruises too! It's the perfect amount of relaxation/ beach time and there's always plenty to do and see on the ship. :thumbsup2

I was sure Bob would be bored on a cruise, because he always like to keep moving on vacation, but even he loved it! We are thinking about selling our points off next year so we can go back! We loved the Fantasy SO MUCH, and now that the Magic is getting revamped, we want to go back and see it again too!! :banana:

Enjoyed reading about your trip again Shelly!!
Looking forward to the next one... Get on it will ya? Jk :)

I really enjoyed traveling through your TR. Your boys are such good kids & your family has a lot of fun in WDW.

Thanks for the ride along.

Thank you so much for reading along! :goodvibes Glad you enjoyed!!

Well, I guess we know now what Standard View means. Not good!

I don't think that anyone, paying any amount of money anywhere should have no hot water for any length of time. That stinks.

That's the good thing about WDW - there's resorts for everyone. At least you're willing to try different ones and see which ones are for you!

So sorry you got sick from Chef Mickey's. That's a bummer - taints the restaurant too.

Yes, we sure do. :sad2:

Well, I'm glad you enjoy my honesty!! I'm sure some people don't. :rotfl:

Agreed! This is what I think is best about all of your TR's. You clearly love Disney, but nothing is sugar coated. If you like something you say it... if you don't like it you say it ..... LOUD. :rotfl: That's just like us. We know that Disney has it's flaws. We aren't going to love every resort/ride/park/show/meal etc etc.... but there is enough good things to keep us coming back.

Definitely looking forward to hearing about this trip (even with the nasy bubbling swamp view :confused: :eek: :sad2: :guilty: :( ) and hopefully reading a PTR for August! :cool1:

You know I don't like to sugar-coat stuff!! Sometimes I am reading a TR and everything is so perfect that you know they have to be sugar-coating things!! :sick:

Bad things happen, even at Disney. Luckily, it's mostly good things though! :)

I'm going to try to get the new TR started soon! :thumbsup2

I have no idea why they would have a room with such a view. :confused3 You are right - it seems like Disney goes to such great lengths to cover up ugly things like that most of the time, so why in the world are they on display like that at the WL??? :sad2:

I know, we really need to do a cruise soon!! ::yes:: I just really want o go to DL more, so the cruise will likely have to wait.

I'm not sure what it is about the DDP, but it's just not for us. Too much food maybe. :confused3 I don't like dessert with my meal. Don't get me wrong, I love dessert!! But, a few hours after my dinner. Not 2 seconds after I am done eating. And yes, you can get it to go, but that doesn't really work too well if you are going to be riding EE or RNRC. :rotfl: Plus, I just don't find any savings with it. I used to, years ago. But when we are not on the DDP we still have a TS meal each day and we don't spend what we would spend to get the DDP. Maybe it's drinks too, we never order pop or other drinks with our meals, we always get water. So I don't know...

That's a hard one -- YC or BWI... Loved them both. BWI would probably have to win for the better pool/slide and because the BW is right there. :goodvibes

Enjoyed reading about your trip again Shelly!!
Looking forward to the next one... Get on it will ya? Jk :)

Thanks!! :goodvibes

Will do! :thumbsup2

We love the cruises too! It's the perfect amount of relaxation/ beach time and there's always plenty to do and see on the ship. :thumbsup2

I was sure Bob would be bored on a cruise, because he always like to keep moving on vacation, but even he loved it! We are thinking about selling our points off next year so we can go back! We loved the Fantasy SO MUCH, and now that the Magic is getting revamped, we want to go back and see it again too!! :banana:

Agreed! The cruise is great! We've been on the Dream 3 times now and will be sailing on the Magic in 2 weeks. I'll have to let you know what I think of the Magic! I'd love to go to the East. Car. on the Fantasy too!

Alright Shelly.... you now have two of us trying to talk you into a cruise! :lmao: I say if you're going to DL in 2015, then 2016 sounds like the perfect year for a cruise! ::yes:: It's so easy for me to spend YOUR money! :hyper: :rotfl:

And btw, you know I too value your honesty. And I agree that some people try to make everything sound perfect which is just not so. I have found though that IN TIME, the not so perfect stuff can turn into some funny memories! ;) We still laugh over some of the crazy stuff we've seen and experienced on our trips!

Welcome back, Shelly! I can't wait to hear all about your trip. I'm bummed that you didn't love the WL as much as I do, but the view and the water issue would have put a damper on things for me, too. At least you gave it a try. Sorry you got sick. That's a bummer but at least it didn't put a damper on your entire trip.

Agreed! The cruise is great! We've been on the Dream 3 times now and will be sailing on the Magic in 2 weeks. I'll have to let you know what I think of the Magic! I'd love to go to the East. Car. on the Fantasy too!

Alright Shelly.... you now have two of us trying to talk you into a cruise! :lmao: I say if you're going to DL in 2015, then 2016 sounds like the perfect year for a cruise! ::yes:: It's so easy for me to spend YOUR money! :hyper: :rotfl:

And btw, you know I too value your honesty. And I agree that some people try to make everything sound perfect which is just not so. I have found though that IN TIME, the not so perfect stuff can turn into some funny memories! ;) We still laugh over some of the crazy stuff we've seen and experienced on our trips!

Make that three people that think Shelly has to try a cruise! I think she'd love it.

RinkyTinkyTinky - We did an Eastern on the Fantasy a few weeks ago and LOVED it. It was truly amazing and our favorite vacation to date. We are currently booked on the Wonder for March, 2015 but we desperately want to go back on the Fantasy later this year. I'm very close to moving our Wonder cruise to another Fantasy Eastern. That ship is amazing! I can't wait to hear about the re-imagined Magic when you return. We were on her before the dry dock and love that ship, too. Have fun!

:rotfl2: Yes, you are very good at spending my money!!! :rotfl: Not that I'm not hounding you about August!! ;) :laughing:

I thought about you when the couple in front of us was making out when we were waiting on Triceratop Spin. :sick: :confused3:rotfl:

Welcome back, Shelly! I can't wait to hear all about your trip. I'm bummed that you didn't love the WL as much as I do, but the view and the water issue would have put a damper on things for me, too. At least you gave it a try. Sorry you got sick. That's a bummer but at least it didn't put a damper on your entire trip.

Thank you! :goodvibes Yes, we are pretty bummed about the WL. But now we know. Just not for us. Many people love it though!

Yes, so glad I recovered quickly from that first night, otherwise the whole trip could have been a bust. :eek:

I thought about you when the couple in front of us was making out when we were waiting on Triceratop Spin. :sick: :confused3 :rotfl:

:lmao::lmao::lmao: :rotfl2: I must have scarred you for life with that story because I don't think you'll ever forget it!!! :rotfl:

So sorry you had a similar experience. :faint: Now Triceratop Spin will be forever tainted with perversion just like the poor Voyage of the Little Mermaid! :rotfl2:

When my boys were younger I always traveled late August. I loved it until one year it was terribly hot and crowded. Then high school sports started and we switched to early June. I still look back with fondness on those August trips because it was such a great way to close out the summer.

I would LOVE to stay at the YC but will probably never be able to justify it with owning DVC. It looks like such a fabulous, and as you said, quiet place to stay.

I definitely don't think the dining plan is for everyone. Some people love it. Others not so much. I haven't used it in quite a while and that works well for us since we have TIW.

Looking forward to your next TR. Oh - and yeah - I couldn't stand to be at the beach a whole week either. :rotfl:

We have used the dining since 2009, we liked it very much. However on this past September trip we decided to go without the plan.we liked doing without the plan. We just don't eat that much food when we are on vacation. Splitting CS for lunch & having our main meal also a CS worked well for us. We did do Boma for dinner & the cost for OOP wasn't that bad. We did go for a discount on the room instead of free dining, it was a better way to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter