Sailor, 2 retired, and an 8-year-old Boy Dream (BACK!!!)

Skyw

DIS Veteran
Hello fellow Planners,

I debated whether or not to do a PTR. I have started many and have finished none on the WDW board. There is a good chance that I will not finish this one either:faint::faint:. School gets out the end of May and our summer begins. I will give it a good college try. :goodvibes:goodvibes

He is the crew:
The Sailor is my DSD24, she is in the Navy stationed at Mayport. We are so proud of her and her willingness to sacrifice herself for our country :thumbsup2. Go Navy. I don’t know how we talked her into a cruise since she spends most of her time on a ship. But we are happy that she said she would go. :love:

The 2 retired are DH and me. We are in our mid forties and retired from the Army a few years back. Together we have been in Desert Storm, Haiti, Kosovo, Iraq and a few other smaller deployments. And since I have been out, my desire to travel and see the world hasn’t gone away :banana:. I totally miss being out there and seeing things. So I am always nagging DH to go on vacation. (nagging sounds harsh...but it is true:lmao:) I love the ocean and can’t wait to see it from my balcony.

My DH is the reluctant cruiser. He really doesn’t want to go but is because we want to go. The deal is, next year, he gets to pick where we go. He hates dressing up for dinner and being “stuck” on a cruise ship. :scratchin

Next is DS8. He loves to travel and see new things. He gets that from his Momma! He has no idea he is going on a cruise. He things we are just going to see his sister. We told him last December that we weren’t going to go to Disney until his little cousin is 5. That is in 5 years. About a month ago, he has been talking about going to WDW again non stop. When he sees the commercials he runs out of the room. HAHA. Hope I can keep this secret. ;)

Pics to follow…

Our Cabin Door from our Wonder cruise many years ago.

http://

Precruise photo on the Wonder with DM, DS and Me!!!

DH, DS and Me last December.

I will have to download some photos of my daughter next time. As you can see the reluctant husband did not go on my first Disney cruise. I went with my mom. I highly recommend doing that!!! It was a great way to just be with her and her grandson. :thumbsup2

Next, our road trip plan and excursions.

Hey there :wave2:

Joining in !!! I first want to say a big thank you to you and your family for your service to our wonderful country :worship: My BIL is in the Army and I know how much is sacrificed on both sides when a family member is deployed.

How can your DH not want to go on a Disney Cruise ??? That just doesn't compute.

I never felt like I was stuck on the ship and I didn't mind dressing for dinner at all. We only had one at sea day and I really enjoyed relaxing on that day. There is so much to do, that surely when he gets on the ship, he won't be feeling that way.

Tell us about your itinerary. Which boat, which days ??

It would be so hard for me to keep it a secret. Can't wait to read more !!

Thanks jecskc!!! I was an honor to serve. I loved almost every minute of it!! There is a few that I don't care to re live though. I don't camp much anymore!!!!;)

Date, ship and nights:
We are going on the Dream June 29th, 2012, 5 night CC, Nassau, Sea, CC. Love this Itinerary. Love starting and ending our cruise with CC!!!!! :thumbsup2

Cabin:
We got a military discount for a 6A GTY cabin. This means that we got a great price But didn’t get to pick our cabin. Before I booked, I went and looked at every 6A cabin I could find and made sure that if I get this cabin, I would be OK. You see it is possible to get an upgrade when you book GTY. So I am prayin’ to the upgrade fairy to sprinkle some of that special pixie dust on me!!!!! But if we don’t, I am OK with an Aft half wall balcony room. :hyper:

I booked this about 63 days out. I still haven’t got a cabin assignment and don’t expect one until a few weeks before the cruise. But that doesn’t stop me from looking everyday at my reservations!!!!! That is part of the fun!!!

Dining:
We got late seating. Total bummer. I am wait listed for early but so far, nothing. My family is early risers and an 8:15 dinner wont do. If we can’t change we will probably not go to the dining room at all. WHAT??!!! :eek::eek: I can hear the comments now. No dining room. !!!! Well it isn’t a cruise then. Well, guess what, we never go to the dining room on any cruise. And we LOVE it.:love: Remember the previous post of DH hating to dress up. Well, it has always been my compromise to skip the dining room on other cruises we have been on. At first I was upset, then I found out I could get just as good food elsewhere on most ships. This time I would like my DS8 to have this experience of a fine dining. My mom took me to fancy places to eat as a kid and that is where I learned proper manners. And what fork to use!!!! No stress here when I sit at a table with 3 forks and a few spoons. We got this one covered.

Even if we get early seating, I expect to only eat in the dining room on a few nights. DH and I are going to Palo's for our anniversary one night. I plan on eating at Cabana’s another. They usually have a good sample of what is being served on the ship and you can go when you want. It is full service and it takes less time. Oh yeah, and you can wear your shorts. !!!!!! Winning!!!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:cool1:

Food Thoughts.....
Did I tell you that I was a MEAT eater. And I found this Cabana's dinner menu item from Allears.net

From the Grill: Grilled Chicken Breast, Marinated Rib-Eye Steak, New York Strip Steak, Salmon Steak - all grilled items served with fresh garden vegetables, choice of mashed potatoes, fingerling potato

and this
Ahi Tuna and Avocado Tower - with crispy noodles and Wasabi dressing

I am actually looking forward to eating at Cabana's now. Hopefully they make the dinner to order. When I was on the wonder that is how it was made, to order!!!! Steak grilled to order!!! Yummy :dancer:

As you can tell, I am easily amused.

Late seating is a bummer. We were wait listed for early, but never got it changed. We are definitely getting early for our next cruise. I strongly encourage you to go to the dining rooms a couple of times. My DH just wore kakhis and a sport jacket or a shirt with a collar. We didn't really feel like we had to dress up a bunch. There is a lot of dressy casual stuff you can wear. Why miss out on all the great food ??

We went to Palo's and really enjoyed it.

Here is our Plan so far.

June 27th – Jump in the car and scream “we are going on vacation!!”. :cool1::cool1: Then drive 6 hours to Chattanooga TN. We plan on a pit stop at the Tennessee aquarium. Here is the link.
http://www.tnaqua.org/Home.aspx

We actually thought about the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta but I check prices and it was a lot more money then the Tenn one. And if we stayed downtown overnight, the hotel would be at least $150.

After a few hours in Chattanooga we are going to climb back in the car and try to make it past Atlanta. I figure we will past thru downtown after rush hour. Then find a hotel for the night.

June 28th- Jump in the car again and scream “we are on vacation”. Then drive 5 more hours to Jacksonville Florida where my DSD is stationed. We plan on meeting her at port and getting a tour of the destroyer :sail: she is on. My son knows about this part and is over the moon with excitement. I am still looking for a hotel in Jacksonville. I would like to be as close to the highway going south and have a pool. Any suggestions we be great appreciated.

June 29th- Jump in the car again and scream “we are on vacation”. Shhhhhh, and a cruise. We are going to tell DS that we are staying in a hotel a few hours away on the beach. We plan on telling him that we are going on some really lame festival like a potato or fishing lure festival. LOL. I can’t wait to see his face when we go over the bridge and see the ship. J

Day 2 cruise- CC sting ray excursion at 9am
Day 3 cruise –The semi sub excursion in Nassau.
Day 4 cruise- no plan yet.
Day 5 cruise – CC hoping to get DH and kids on the bottom fishing tour.
Day 6 end of cruise- Start the drive back home. L

Being a military wife to a Marine, Im so in to see how your trip goes. Also love surprising the kids to Disney. We did that with our cruise and I still remember the faces! Cant wait to read more!

Being a military wife to a Marine, Im so in to see how your trip goes. Also love surprising the kids to Disney. We did that with our cruise and I still remember the faces! Cant wait to read more!

Hi!!! Welcome to my small TR!! :) How did you surprise you kids with the cruise??? I am just planning on waiting until he sees the ship coming over the bridge!!!! I don't know if I can wait!!!!!

Thank you for your wonderful service in support your Marine. I have been on both sides on a deployment. The hardest was for me to home with a baby while he was gone on deployment. I would have rather been deployed!!

I got my Military Discounted GTY room assignment yesterday!!!! It was on day 45 for those you are keeping track. Or 45 days from our cruise. I was shocked to see it so soon. I was expecting to wait until 2 weeks prior. :yay:

So what did I get???? An upgrade?? A 6a with a half wall? or a a 5E extended cabin over the night club???

You will have to wait and see......:rolleyes:

Hi!!! Welcome to my small TR!! :) How did you surprise you kids with the cruise??? I am just planning on waiting until he sees the ship coming over the bridge!!!! I don't know if I can wait!!!!!

Thank you for your wonderful service in support your Marine. I have been on both sides on a deployment. The hardest was for me to home with a baby while he was gone on deployment. I would have rather been deployed!!
We actually suprized them at xmas time with a scavenge hunt to find a bunch of stuff leading up to the cruise. Which sadly we surprized them in Dec but didnt leave until the following SEPT lmao poor kids.

Oh ya I can empathise with you being home alone with a baby is hard. I would take a deployment right about now and my boys are now 13 and 9 LMAO

I got my Military Discounted GTY room assignment yesterday!!!! It was on day 45 for those you are keeping track. Or 45 days from our cruise. I was shocked to see it so soon. I was expecting to wait until 2 weeks prior. :yay:

So what did I get???? An upgrade?? A 6a with a half wall? or a a 5E extended cabin over the night club???

You will have to wait and see......:rolleyes:
oh man the suspense is killing me.:banana:

We got cabin 9146.:cool1::cool1: It is a deluxe not the family deluxe. So we were upgraded from a 6A to a 5A. I am super excited but I must confess, I would have been super duper excited if I got a 4A. We have 3 adults and the extra room would have been awesome.

So are room is aft. I am happy about that. We just two flights up to chow and a few cabins down from the aft elevators. I heard they aren't used as much as the other. Sure Hope it is true.

More soon, got to raise DCL money!!! Having a yard sale. :goodvibes

deluxe-oceanview-stateroom-with-verandah-dream-fantasy-Thumbnail_220px.jpg

DIS_DR_9.png

Hi everyone, been a while!!! I have been crazy busy:eek:. DS gets out of school tomorrow and I have been trying to get a bunch of things done before then.

So I haven't started packing yet. But I really really want to, but there isn't enough time yet!!! I know, right, packing 5 weeks out. YEP. I am a early packer and I am proud of it. :dance3:

Here is the biggest issue, what is my son going to wear in the dining room. And if you have read some of the recent threads there are definitely two schools of thought. I have heard anything from nice shorts to dress pants. Here is the rub, my son is not big on "dressy clothes". We don't even have to wear them at our church. So I would need to buy new ones that he will wear once. So I am checking the sale racks at kolhs, Target and Goodwill. I figure I need to have a least one pair for semi formal night. :rolleyes:

I also looked on this website http://cruisett.com/ports.php?PortID=455 and saw that there will be the Oasis,and the Sky at port with us. Nassau is going to be busy that is for sure.

Next update, excursions.....

Hi everyone, been a while!!! I have been crazy busy:eek:. DS gets out of school tomorrow and I have been trying to get a bunch of things done before then.
Crunch time LOL

So I haven't started packing yet. But I really really want to, but there isn't enough time yet!!! I know, right, packing 5 weeks out. YEP. I am a early packer and I am proud of it. :dance3:
by some peoples standars... your late on that LOL

Here is the biggest issue, what is my son going to wear in the dining room. And if you have read some of the recent threads there are definitely two schools of thought. I have heard anything from nice shorts to dress pants. Here is the rub, my son is not big on "dressy clothes". We don't even have to wear them at our church. So I would need to buy new ones that he will wear once. So I am checking the sale racks at kolhs, Target and Goodwill. I figure I need to have a least one pair for semi formal night. :rolleyes:
My boys were the same, but they were told its only 2 nights.. and at that its minimum 2-3hours they have to be dressed like that. A picture and dinner, then after they can change. Now they know and are fine with it. Try walmart even just for pants and a nice shirt. I did suits from Ebay they were $40 each with shipping. And they were full suits for one night, then just vest shirt pants and tie for the other night. Just a though!

I also looked on this website http://cruisett.com/ports.php?PortID=455 and saw that there will be the Oasis,and the Sky at port with us. Nassau is going to be busy that is for sure.
It will be fun to see how big that ship REALLY is. you dont understand it until you are close to it

Next update, excursions.....
Cant wait to hear all about them!! Im getting so excited for you!:woohoo:

I hope to have another post soon. Today was awards day for little mister at his school. Then a baseball game, then a party !!! And that is just today.

My lovely DSD is now at Fleet Week in NY!!! I hope she is having a blast. What a great thing!!!

I have read many times on this board that the Dream pool is crazy busy....so I looked at my Wonder Pool pic....I wonder if it is more busy then this....

DSC00661.jpg

DSC00663.jpg

May 23rd was Document Day!!!!! I got them out of the mail box and DS was right next to me . Oh know!!!:eek: But I said it was just Disney Junk Mail. :laughing: I had to wait until way later that night. I was so excited. I knew what was in there but it was MY CRUISE DOCUMENTS. One day closer to getting on the Dream. :cool1: So in the cover are darkness and a locked bedroom door, I opened the "documents". Nothing really new. Luggage tags and information that I already knew. But it didn't stop me from enjoying every last minute!!!!

photo16.jpg

Cant wait to hear all about them!! Im getting so excited for you!:woohoo:

The excursions are coming!!!! I believe we have a theme going on!!! Next post I promise. My DS is bothering me to get off of the computer. BUT IT IS SUMMER BREAK!!! For me too right? Apparently not. :laughing:

Still no excusion update. My DS is no longer in school and I have been trying to do this without him knowing what I am up too!!! He is nosy by nature!!!:eek: (not sure where that came from, I blame it on my MIL and she blames it on me!!)

I had some confusion to which night was semi formal and Pirate night. So I sent Disney an e-mail and they replied within a day. Way to go!!!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2Here is the response

Below is the recommended attire for your cruise itinerary and is subject
to change:

Dining attire varies by venue or theme night on your cruise. In general,
most meals are "Cruise Casual"-- jeans, khakis and capris are permitted;
however, we ask that Guests refrain from wearing shorts, swimwear or
tank tops in the dining rooms.

On 5-night Bahamian cruises departing Friday:
*Night 1, 2 and 5: cruise casual
*Night 3: "dress-up night" (optional attire) - jacket or a dress shirt
for men; dress or pantsuit for women
*Night 4: pirate night with deck party - cruise casual or bring your
best pirate outfit!

Palo is our romantic alternative restaurant exclusively for our Guests
18 years and older. To maintain this elegant feeling during the various
dining options, a dress code is in place for the Palo Champagne Brunch
and Palo Dinner.

-Palo Champagne Brunch:
Cruise casual wear suggested.
No shorts, swimwear, tank tops or blue jeans are permitted.

-Palo Dinner:
Men - A dress shirt or jacket is required.
Women - A dress or pantsuit is recommended.
No shorts, swimwear, tank tops or blue jeans are permitted.

Remy, Disney Cruise Line®'s first-ever premier dining option, will
offer exceptional French-inspired cuisine and award-winning wines served
with impeccable service in an elegant, intimate setting exclusively for
adults 18 years of age and older.

Did you see it??? That part where it says JEANS!!!! My husband is going to do the happy dance:banana::banana: Of course they will be his nice sunday jeans and not the ones with paint and wholes. My son only has jeans too. So I will set out the nice dark colored ones for the trip. I know this is a very sensitive subject for some people, but honestly, I would never get my husband on a cruise again if he had to dress up every night.

This is my thoughts on the whole jeans things. We go to Disney once a year and eat dinner out most of the time. We usually go back to our hotel and shower, put on clean clothes and go to dinner. But never do we have to dress up. I know that the Dream is quite elegant, but in saying that. There is only 2 places at WDW that you have to dress up. Seems logical to me that the regular dining is not as formal as the Palo etc. Just my 2 cents for what it is worth. :rolleyes: (might not be much) . However, I will dress up and not wear jeans. I love that part. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter