Sad....so very, very sad....

I have had enough awful jobs, with awful hours and psycho bosses to know the difference between then and now.

People like Oprah (and others) tell us to find a profession that encompasses that which we love. That's not always easy when the grocery store takes a big chunk of your paycheck and the electric bill takes another big chunk and then there's the price of gas. It all disappears too quickly and the prospect of changing jobs and possibly making less or worse yet, failing, is a terrifying thought.

I never ever thought my fascination with and love of Disney would ever turn out to be a valuable commodity. I always thought it just made me a geek.

I realize every single day how very lucky I am to be in the position I am in and if I have to go on Disney Cruises and try all the Disney restaurants (sometimes more than once) in order to keep this good thing going than thats just what I have to do. :rotfl:

Ya didnt think I was going to keep that mushy stuff up did you?:rotfl:

So I'm planning on doing the College Program from January to August of 2009. Do you think Disney will give me 5 days off to go on the cruise?
-disneycruise05

To answer your question...not a chance. I've done the college program and unless they have relaxed the rules, which I doubt, either your commited to working there during that time or you don't go to the college program. plus the fact you have mandatory classes you must attend while during the program and if your gone 5 days chances are you'll miss 1, so they'll just say no.

I have had enough awful jobs, with awful hours and psycho bosses to know the difference between then and now.

People like Oprah (and others) tell us to find a profession that encompasses that which we love. That's not always easy when the grocery store takes a big chunk of your paycheck and the electric bill takes another big chunk and then there's the price of gas. It all disappears too quickly and the prospect of changing jobs and possibly making less or worse yet, failing, is a terrifying thought.

I never ever thought my fascination with and love of Disney would ever turn out to be a valuable commodity. I always thought it just made me a geek.

I realize every single day how very lucky I am to be in the position I am in and if I have to go on Disney Cruises and try all the Disney restaurants (sometimes more than once) in order to keep this good thing going than thats just what I have to do. :rotfl:

Ya didnt think I was going to keep that mushy stuff up did you?:rotfl:

"Find a job that you love and you will never work a day in your life"
Some famous guy whose name I can't rember

I wish I could go

But I was lucky enough to go on a cruise in April 07

So I've decided to stop complaining

But that does not mean I am not jealous

Oy... where can I apply for a job that makes me take a Cruise?????? :worship:

Dude.... you crack me up. And I loved the "$5.38 per day cost" of the Podcast Cruise, btw. Probably not meant just to be funny, but I found myself wondering what else people spend $5.38 on every day. Starbucks? Tolls? Babysitter aka Locker fees? A gallon of ******g gas?!?

I can have a 20 dollar bill in my pocket in the morning and when I get home...it's gone and I cant tell you where I spent 20 bucks.

If you break it down to $5.38 a day it doesnt seem so daunting.

What can you do to put away $40 a week?

- Cut out Stabucks?

- Brown bag it to work?

- Carpool?

- Sell stuff you no longer want on ebay?

Please, please, please understand that I am not trying to a jerk or come across as insensitive. There have been times in my life when $37 bucks a week would have meant the difference between eating and not eating and at those times...going on a cruise...no matter how much I wanted it, was not a consideration.

John and I decided we wanted to install hardwood floors in some areas of the house. As hardwood floors are not a necessity, it was hard to put that money out for something that was a bit frivolous.

We decided to set up a seperate fund and sell some of our old stuff on ebay. That way...it was like "found money" and it wouldnt be so hard to part with.

We were surprised at how fast it added up and since hardwood floors were our intent, it seemed less frivolous because we werent taking the money from somewhere else.

It might for some...and not for others. Just wanted to let you know what we did.

Please, please, please understand that I am not trying to a jerk or come across as insensitive. There have been times in my life when $37 bucks a week would have meant the difference between eating and not eating and at those times...going on a cruise...no matter how much I wanted it, was not a consideration.

Please pardon me if you felt I implied you were being callous. Your team and, in fact, the entire premise of the DIS/ DIS Unplugged has always seemed to me to imply that the magic of Disney need not be unattainable. In my daily life, I see people spend money frivolously on what I consider to be waste. 5 bucks for coffee?!? What I meant was that many people throw that kind of money away when (as you astutely point out) a little planning/saving can lead to greater things, such as cruises with cool people...and hardwood floors (where the carpet matches Bawb's drapes.)

You guys rock. :hug:

Hope John gets well soon and that you avoid the flu. No Keesing on the Leeps!!! ;)

I was sad, then mad (kind of) and finally glad that the DIS Unplugged decided to have a Podcast Cruise!:cool1:
A strange thing happened when the DIS unplugged announced their Podcast Cruise. My DH and I started to talk about going on DCL. (He has never been on a cruise which surprised me.) Before the announcement, we were looking at Saratoga Springs in March 2009 but then I persuaded him on a sea/land cruise. We looked at the Podcast dates and even asked for a quote (Thanks Tracy!). :surfweb:
We would love to go the Podcast cruise, but after much discussion we realized we could not commit for early May 2009 as we are expecting several events to occur. So we did the next best thing, we booked a cruise for December 2008!:banana:
I'm not positive but were it not for the Podcast Cruise, the past several discussion and e-mail podcasts and all the threads concerning the Podcast Cruise we probably would have not booked a DCL trip.
Knowing Pete has disclosed he is a DreamsUnlimited owner and unabashed DCL lover, but I can't help think that he and the DIS Unplugged team has strategically (and successfully to us) put the idea of taking a DCL trip to the forefront. I can't wait! Thanks Podcast Crew!!!:woohoo:

Does anyone think there will be any rooms left next year??? We *could* possibly go when we get next years' Tax return $$$...but wil there be anything left...:confused3 And by then it will be even more expensive...sigh :sad1:

If you think that you can use you tax refund for the cruise, my idea would be:
Make the deposit now , that way your sure about the spot you want and need, and then the rest of the payment you can do when the tax refund is in.
Easy said because a lot of people don't have the $ to make a deposit......

For me it would be a hooror to hear the podcast and don't go on the cruise.
I'm lucky enough that we booked the cruise and i know that i'm lucky.
I was very pleasant suprised that my DH said it was okay to book and do this cruise, i was stunned.....
I was expecting that he would say No, and then i also would have listened to the podcast knowing that i couldn't go on the cruise.
That would drive me insane and maybe, maybe i just stopped listening because the pain that that would cost me.

If you can't get days off your work, you can't change that...
But as for saving money, Kevin is right.
For sure their are people that can't save the money, where $5 a day is just eat and drinking money.
We just put all our small change in a jar and save that up each year, it's no way enough for a cruise but it's enough for extra spending money.....

It's okay to listen to the 2/19 podcast. I don't recall hearing any talk about the podcast cruise is in this episode. (Or I missed it, which is possible being that I'm the 'senior' member of the team.) :thumbsup2

It saddens me some but also makes me look forward to the day when my family will finally make it onto a Disney cruise!! We want to wait until our littlest munchkin is four so that means we'll be waiting until at least next summer.

I guess I will continue to live out my DCL dreams vicariously through everyone here. ;)

It's okay to listen to the 2/19 podcast. I don't recall hearing any talk about the podcast cruise is in this episode. (Or I missed it, which is possible being that I'm the 'senior' member of the team.) :thumbsup2

The only mention of the podcast cruise was Will, saying that he's going to be wearing his tennis shoes so he can run real fast.

Who says he's trying to run FROM someone???? Could be that he just can't wait to see his beloved future MIL...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter