Sacrifice a Disney day for a Great Wolf Lodge day?

I love that funnel ride! There is a drop one at the Washington GWL that about killed me. I went on it once, thought I was going to die, and refused to go on it again 😂 But the funnel one was awesome.

The YouTube videos make it look so intense and larger than life I might have to really talk myself into that one! They sell alcohol there right? Maybe a quick beer to calm the nerves haha! Or make me extra queasy...

The YouTube videos make it look so intense and larger than life I might have to really talk myself into that one! They sell alcohol there right? Maybe a quick beer to calm the nerves haha! Or make me extra queasy...
Oh, they sell all the alcohol, lol. Including whole bottles of wine.

We just did an overnight at GWL Anaheim and I definitely wouldn't do it as the first night of a Disney vacation. Something about running around in the hot, humid, chlorinated air made us so tired. With a 10 year old in August I could see setting up camp outside and letting them run wild. The fresh air would be nice for sure.

Interesting thread. My boys now have different spring breaks. I was looking for something to do with the 7yo and considered GWL. Once I got into pricing I realized it was as expensive as a WDW hotel (peak season for our GWL) and he'd have just as much fun at a WDW hotel AND I wouldn't be trapped inside a chlorinated, humid bubble with screaming kids (instead I'll be sitting outside, poolside with a bunch of screaming kids - somehow this is better). Heading back to Orlando in late March but will prioritize this once the kids get closer to 9/10 when they'll get the most out of it.

We just did an overnight at GWL Anaheim and I definitely wouldn't do it as the first night of a Disney vacation. Something about running around in the hot, humid, chlorinated air made us so tired. With a 10 year old in August I could see setting up camp outside and letting them run wild. The fresh air would be nice for sure.

Yeah, you definitely need the fresh air breaks. I don't know how the employees work in there day after day. We don't really go in winter anymore because the outside pool area is closed and you can't walk outside to get the fresh air like you can in the spring/summer. We love the food from the outdoor bar/grill too and it's also closed in winter.

We did GWL once with a groupon during a disney trip and it was one of our best vacations ever. We actually stayed there because it was a nice hotel for cheap and went to disney via uber most days. my son (about 10 at the time) loved the place. At first I tried to keep track of him and I finally gave up and just let him roam with a requirement that he check every hour via phone. The magiquest thing was one of his very favorite things. Not sure how many people in your family, but the room type with the bunk beds in the den is pretty fabulous. The ceiling lites up with the wand from Magiquest. I did manage to relax just fine. Probably because he could entertain himself without my input! It really does feel like a land based cruise ship!

Just talked to them, the day passes are only sold 90 days out so anything beyond that just says ‘sold out’ even though it’s not available for purchase so it’s all good.

Price ranges from $50-$100 per person, probably closer to $100 for summer they told me. That’s pretty pricey so now I’m over here mulling again. 😂 Would be cheaper to just stay the night...

What about not doing it on this trip and book the one that is 4 hours away for a night a month after your Disney trip?

Another good point.🥰 They grow up so fast, he just turned 10 and I still can’t believe it.

If we did do it on this trip, it’d be on a Monday which is the super busy DLR day anyways...
Our family loves GWL!! Ours does have a hot tub!! Maybe you could call and ask??

It is definitely NOT relaxing one bit though. Miles of walking on hard pavement with no shoes, soaking wet all the time, getting splashed, but it fun and the kids are pooped!!

I'd go for it if you have time and they want to go!

We go to the Great Wolf Lodge in Anaheim all the time, our kids love it there. They were 7 and 5 the last time we went. We've actually done a Disneyland trip where we stayed at GWL the whole time, though we had a DLR annual pass at the time. We would drive to Disneyland in the morning, then come back to Great Wolf Lodge for swimming in the afternoon. I *think* there is a shuttle from Great Wolf to Disneyland as well, but not 100% sure

We've also on another occasion actually booked a room there without staying just to use the water park (I think Day Passes are a relatively new thing, I don't recall having them before). We were there with another family doing Disneyland/San Diego. The plan was to go to the SD Zoo, but it started pouring rain, so we just booked a room at GWL so we could use the water park. If you book a room for a night, you can use the water park for 2 days (the day of your reservation and the day after).

Not unless it's day 6. I would NEVER make that compromise, and we only do the beach with friends on day 6

Tbh, I don't really understand the point of a day pass, as it is very likely to be the same cost or less to just book a room if there are two or more people in your party.

Assuming all GWL are the same, you can arrive as early as noon on your reservation day and will be given wristbands to get into the water park. We've always arrived between 11:00-11:30 and gotten right in, plus missed the noon rush! Your wrist bands are your EVERYTHING. They get you into the water park, your room, and can be used to pay for food, activities, and merchandise (by charging to your room). Which is very nice, because you don't have to worry about carrying a credit card or anything.

On the second day of your trip, you can keep your wrist band until the water park closes and continue charging to your room, even after you've checked out. We typically store everything but our swim stuff in the car, check out, and continue playing until we are tired and ready to go home. GWL isn't cheap, but it's also not the most expensive splurge if you can use up the whole day and a half and cut corners elsewhere (<--- food).

Last edited:
Tbh, I don't really understand the point of a day pass, as it is very likely to be the same cost or less to just book a room if there are two or more people in your party.

Assuming all GWL are the same, you can arrive as early as noon on your reservation day and will be given wristbands to get into the water park. We've always arrived between 11:00-11:30 and gotten right in, plus missed the noon rush! Your wrist bands are your EVERYTHING. They get you into the water park, your room, and can be used to pay for food, activities, and merchandise (by charging to your room). Which is very nice, because you don't have to worry about carrying a credit card or anything.

On the second day of your trip, you can keep your wrist band until the water park closes and continue charging to your room, even after you've checked out. We typically store everything but our swim stuff in the car, check out, and continue playing until we are tired and ready to go home. GWL isn't cheap, but it's also not the most expensive splurge if you can use up the whole day and a half and cut corners elsewhere (<--- food).

Day passes are only usually more expensive than a room with MORE than 4 people going. On the days the day pass is higher priced, the rooms are also higher priced.

As an example, I can take my kids on a day pass pretty much any weekday this month for $55. There are 3 of us right now, so $165. Day pass gets you in open to close, so 9am to 9pm most days. You cannot access the water park until 1pm on check in day. They are VERY strict about that at the Anaheim location.

With a day pass, we can eat breakfast and dinner at home, just needing to buy lunch there. We don't have the hassle of packing. Just put swimsuits on under our clothes, grab the swim bag and go! It's way more appealing than dealing with all the logistical aspects of an overnight stay with kids. We can be there in 15 minutes. Day passes are the best thing to happen to GWL, in my opinion.

One room on a random weeknight is list price $139.99 (using a 30% discount code). With taxes and fees added in, it comes to $222.36. Then, since we will be staying overnight, you have to add in more money for additional meals. Staying one night runs us close to $350-400 after you factor in food, parking, the inevitable arcade and bowling, ice cream, breakfast the next morning at Dunkin Donuts, etc.

Day passes are only usually more expensive than a room with MORE than 4 people going. On the days the day pass is higher priced, the rooms are also higher priced.

As an example, I can take my kids on a day pass pretty much any weekday this month for $55. There are 3 of us right now, so $165. Day pass gets you in open to close, so 9am to 9pm most days. You cannot access the water park until 1pm on check in day. They are VERY strict about that at the Anaheim location.

With a day pass, we can eat breakfast and dinner at home, just needing to buy lunch there. We don't have the hassle of packing. Just put swimsuits on under our clothes, grab the swim bag and go! It's way more appealing than dealing with all the logistical aspects of an overnight stay with kids. We can be there in 15 minutes. Day passes are the best thing to happen to GWL, in my opinion.

One room on a random weeknight is list price $139.99 (using a 30% discount code). With taxes and fees added in, it comes to $222.36. Then, since we will be staying overnight, you have to add in more money for additional meals. Staying one night runs us close to $350-400 after you factor in food, parking, the inevitable arcade and bowling, ice cream, breakfast the next morning at Dunkin Donuts, etc.
Well I stand corrected then :-)

TikiTikiFan, I think you'll have a great time regardless of when you go or what location!

The Anaheim location also offers bundle deals that involve DL tickets for two adults as part of the bundle.

Reactions: EmJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter