RV Friendly Rest Stops on I95

byejou

Mouseketeer
Yet another silly question.....

This is the first time we r driving down to FW with our camper and we want to stop and rest overnight in a rest area. Driving from NJ right outside Philly and plan to drive 10 hr or to Florence SC. Keep in mind.... 2 DS's age 5 & 7, plus pup.:eek:

Any ideas or success stories? :confused:

Just an FYI there is a very nice KOA just off 95 in Florence if you need somewhere to overnight. Sorry I can't help with the rest stops.

I have stayed at Pedro's South of the Border campground at the NC/SC border. I wouldn't want to spend a week there but it is a nice, quiet, safe, easy-in-easy-out place to overnight. I think it was about $25 a night. Plus there are signs for Pedro's for 300 miles before you get there (literally) so it could be fun for the kids to look for Pedro's signs and know how far til you get there!

Big Water Lake Club at exit 102 in SC is a very nice campground. I have a membership there and they always have overnight campers stop in. If you want to give them a call to find out the rates, the number is 1-888-228-4040. As for rest areas...can't give you much info. Personally, I wouldn't stay in one overnight. Paranoid, I guess.

I'm going to ask my DH about one in NC. I want to say it was Flying J about 10 miles north of J&R's but I'll ask the name of the town. We just pulled in and spent the night in the parking lot, had both dinner and breakfast in the restaurant, got gas and left in the morning. There were other RVs there at the time as well.

There is also a Love's truck stop just before the NC border. We stayed there overnight in the truck area. That was a little loud though as all the truckers had their engines running (or whatever it was).

We've even stayed a few hours at the big one just as you pull into FLA. DH is the only one that drives the RV and he had reached his max. He pulls in, heads to the bedroom and shuts the curtain and the rest of us either chill out reading, watching a movie or go out and walk around depending on the area.

Have a safe trip.

i have never camped at south of the border but when i drive down i always stay at their hotel. i think it is a great place for the night. their pool is great, and lots of stores, different things to walk around, see and do. a great place for kids to get out and stretch those legs.

it is a tourist trap, but we love staying there.

:woohoo: This will be our first time driving down from Maine to Disney with our TT, I was thinking about stopping at a Wal-Mart and park for the night, I see that alot at our local Wal-Mart. :confused3 This should be doable, right?

We have stayed at New Green Acres Campground in Walterboro, SC - I95 exit 53. Nice place for an overnighter, and about $26. Also have stayed at Point South KOA (about $40), I95 exit 33, but wont stay there again. I did talk with someone about staying at rest areas in SC, but was told that they do not allow it. That being said, on our way home last year there were several RVers that were "catching a few hours sleep"... ;)

Many Walmarts allow it, but more and more do not - do a store search on the website and call ahead to confirm...

We drive from Long Island and Stay at the Flying J in Latta SC. Flying J is RV friendly. You can check the web sit www.flyingj.com. We get gas at the last rest stop in Jersey and we can make it to Latta SC. on a tank of gas. This time we will be towing a truck so that should change. We travel with dogs so we stop about every 3 hours walk the dogs strech our legs and get a bite to eat and get back on the road. some Walmarts allow overnightparking There is a group on yahoo that you could check with.
If the kids are kept entertained it should be a good ride

We drive from Long Island and Stay at the Flying J in Latta SC. Flying J is RV friendly. You can check the web sit www.flyingj.com. We get gas at the last rest stop in Jersey and we can make it to Latta SC. on a tank of gas. This time we will be towing a truck so that should change. We travel with dogs so we stop about every 3 hours walk the dogs strech our legs and get a bite to eat and get back on the road. some Walmarts allow overnightparking There is a group on yahoo that you could check with.
If the kids are kept entertained it should be a good ride

:idea: So you can park your camper and sleep at these Flying J's free of charge?

Thanks for all the ideas.....I also fear sleeping at rest stops...do not know why, have never done that but just don't want to be next crime topic in mornings newspaper, if u know what i mean.

Will look into campsites as well as Walmart, they r everywhere.

Did not know KOA's were this inexpensive. :dance3:

If you do decide to pick a Wal*Mart I recommend trying to find a rural one... I have had one too many vagrants come-a-knockin at 2am looking for handouts!

If you do decide to pick a Wal*Mart I recommend trying to find a rural one... I have had one too many vagrants come-a-knockin at 2am looking for handouts!

They just wanted to sit on your lap and give you their list.

Yes, you can stay overnight at FlyingJ truck stops. They even have a special parking area and gas lane for RVs. We have done it several times with out any problems. the RV parking areas are separate from the truck areas.

I hope this helps and happy camping.

Al

I second the vote for Pedros at South of the Border. Clean, quick in and out, and inexpensive at $25. Nice big pull thrus.

have stayed at Point South KOA (about $40), I95 exit 33, but wont stay there again.

I agree. The current owners let what was once a nice campground go to pot. I used to camp there when I was a kid when it used to be nice. The campground next to it isn't that bad. Used to be an old Americamps...now I think it's called The Oaks.

We always stop overnight at Wal-Marts in Roanoke Rapids,NC and Walterboro,SC.
They are 24 hr superstores that a number of RVers stop over at.Have never had a problem at either of these stores.

We drive down from South Jersey and we fuel up at all of the Flying J's along the way. We usually overnight at Flying J as well.

The Wal-Mart in Manning, SC (exit 119) allows campers. We live less than a mile away as the crow flies and see campers there all the time.

I wish Wal-Mart would've never started letting people park overnight. They just built a new WM about a mile from my house and there are camperd that basically are living there. The shopping center is brand new and has some nice stores in it. Then you see some bomb camper out there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter