Running...

Thanks Indyman!
I'm hoping to see some weight loss results, but have not.
I have seen slight toning....so I know its working!

This thread really motivated me! This morning, I decided to add an additional lap to my running segments. So, after running my first two laps (1/2 mile), I ran a third lap. After the third lap I said, "I can do this" and ran a 4th lap. So I ran a full mile!!! Then I walked a lap and ran two more laps. So I ran a total of 1 1/2 miles! I didn't feel like I was pushing myself too hard either.....I just needed some motivation to get out of my rut!

THANKS!!!!:)

I check out the link on the running program.
Thanks for the advice!
I really would love to get up to 3 miles and run the Disney 5k in January!!!

Congrats on your new running program, Geri! I've had a bad few weeks--my body feels like lead. My longest run has been just short of three miles but I've been averaging between one and two miles. I'm trying to increase that but my body just isn't cooperating right now.

Good luck on the mini-marathon, Indyman! My sister is walking in it this year and I'm hoping to run next year or the following.

Thanks Dopeygirl!
This thread has really inspired me!
This morning I added another 1/4 mile to my first leg and ran a full 1 /14 without stopping.
That's the most I've gone without stopping!

I think I'll stick with that routine for at least a week. That last 1/4 mile was kind of tough and I don't want to burn out.

Thanks again everyone for the inspiration!

Good for everyone!! (Esp. you, Dan, I need you to take care of yourself, you know Dad? :) )

I was sick for a week and missed that whole week but am doing OK getting back into the swing of things. Wishing everyone happy movement!!!! :D

Hope you're feeling better Buckalew! You started this thread and got a lot of people motivated! We don't need our inspiration to be sick now!!!:)
Get better soon!!!

How funny that I found this thread. For the past week, I have been on the Runners World site and New Runners site. I have never been a runner, but have ALWAYS "wanted" to be a runner. I have "just" decided to start a running program, and I even went out and bought the magazine Runners World for the new beginner program (April 2002). I am bound and determind to do this! I need to shed some pounds and more importantly get fit! I will be starting on Saturday, as my DH is gone till then and I have a 1 year old at home. I did take him walking with me Monday to get myself moving, but it's been so darn cold out, I don't want to take him with me.

My only fears are side aches (which I got all the time while running in high school 13 years ago when I hated gym class and didn't want to run) and shin splints, which I get all the time from walking too hard/much. I went to a running store to kinda scope it out, and will go there to get my shoes soon.

I was actually going to do a thread either here, or on the CB asking for advise, but then I found this thread!

Buckalew - congratulations! It sounds like you are doing great! And you started as a very new beginner??? Then there is hope for me??? LOL!

I will take any and all advise from this thread, or PM's or whatever!!! As for shoes, I read on a site that I should start out with shoes I have (if they are athletic) and make sure running is for me before I go out and spend alot of cash on shoes. Is this not a good idea?

Good luck with your running leahannpen!
I swore I would never be a runner, but I'm starting to become one.
I only run a mile right now and then I walk a mile, but I"m getting there. I do it every day and love it (I really never thought I'd say I love to run).

My advice to you is to start slow. Don't feel like you have to go out on the first day and run a mile. Also, try to find distractions like music or just daydreaming. Keep your mind off the fact that you are running!

I ran to my Illuminations CD this morning. I hardly even realized that I was running!

Not sure if a "true runner" would give you this advice, but I would hold off on the running shoes until you're sure its for you. They really can get expensive.

Let us know how it goes!

Leahannpen,

Congratulations on wanting to start an exercise program. Walking and/or running is one of the easiest way to get in shape. I disagree on waiting before getting new shoes. Properly fitted shoes that are matched to your foot style and running mechanics are the most important piece of equipment a runner/walker can have. Improper or worn out shoes are probably the leading cause of running injuries. There are several causes for shin splints, and improper shoes is one of them, in addition to running on too hard a surface, and overdoing it. Check out this link on anterior shin splints . If you're running/walking primarily on concrete you are asking for trouble. Concrete is the hardest surface you can run on. If possible, find a grass, mulch, or dirt trail. If those aren't convenient, asphalt is more forgiving than concrete.

The side aches are probably also a sign of doing too much too soon. Here a link on side stitches . Take it easy and you'll see improvements quickly.

How did you do in the mini, Indyman? My sister loved walking in and has convinced me to walk it with her next year.

Thanks for asking. It was a lot of fun. I had a goal time of 2 hours or better and came in just under 1:58. Of course I was sore for 3 days after the race, but it was well worth it. The weather was perfect and the race organization is incredible. I think you'll enjoy doing the mini next year.

OMG Indyman!!! You ran for 2 hours????

Geez! I'm lucky if I can do 15 minutes without gasping for air!
Congratulations!!!

Thanks. I've been running for a little over a year. When I started I was just like you say you are. I couldn't run 15 minutes without a big struggle, but I stayed with it and saw steady improvements in distance, time and pace. I started out slowly. When I felt I could push myself a little I added 3-4 minutes onto the end of one run per week. Before long I was up to 30 minutes. Before long I was ready to add another 5 minutes or a mile. It took a year to get here, but if you stay injury free and celebrate the milestones (30 minutes, 5 miles, 1 hour, 10 miles, etc.) you can do it. You may or may not want to run a half marathon, but setting a goal (a 5 or 10k, 5 miles, whatever) and striving for that goal, you'll amaze yourself. It just takes a little perserverance and a bunch of sweat. You can do it!

Okay all you pro's... :D since I had planned on starting tomorrow (Saturday) and the weather here in Milwaukee looks just AWFUL... ALL weekend :mad: :( what do you do when the weather dosen't cooperate? Still run even if you get wet?

We just found out that our community will be opening a nice health/well being center with a running track and exercise rooms. But, it's not open yet. Not until June 4th. So now what. What do you all do?

It's all about safety and comfort for me. If it's just raining, but warm I'll run. If the weather is just nasty (cold and rainy or thunderstorms) then the day becomes a cross training day. Cross training could include riding the stationary bike, weightlifting, working out to a cardio video, or hitting a heavy bag. When I return from running in the rain, I just take the insole out of my shoes and stuff the shoes with newspaper. They should be good to go the next day.

I run on a treadmill most days.....it just gets too dang hot to run down here.

Oh and thanks for the encouragement Indyman! Glad to hear you were once "huffing and puffing" like I am!
I'm pretty much comfortable at a mile right now. In another week or two I'm going to try to add another 1/4 mile.

I'm thinking about signing up for the Disney 5k....that'll be great motivation! And also quite appropriate for my first big run!

As far as shoes are concerned, I used this site (have used in the past and it is the one mentioned by Brenda earlier). Using the 'Shoe Dog' option in the 'Expert Shoe Section', I was able to narrow down all the hundreds of shoe choices to about 5 or so, very simple. I wound up with the New Balance 1121's and am VERY happy with them so far after about 2 weeks. If you belong to the Run America Club of theirs, you get 5% discount, prority shipping and 60 day return policy, even if worn for those days. If not in club, no discount, regular shipping and 30 return, but not worn.

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/

Buckalew, Dopeygirl, luvstiggertoo and others, how's the running coming along?

Not too good, since I haven't been able to get my butt out there! DH is gone on business AGAIN and I haven't done anything but walk, since I have to take DS, 13 months. And, DH is gone AGAIN next week! This stinks!!! I'm going to give it a whirl this weekend, since it's longer, and DH is home.... THEN, I'll let ya know!

Hope everyone else is doing well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter