Running...

Buckalew

<font color=teal>Hammonitup!!!<br><font color=dark
Today I started running. I haven't run in about 16years and never ran over a mile back then.
DH is a runner and has even completed a marathon. I would love to be able to run a bit with him (no marathons please. :) ) Well, I'd consider doing the WDW 1/2 marathon in A January someday IF I can keep it up.
I need to lose some weight and also need to get in shape. My heart gets no exercise. :(
According to Runner's World magazine I am to start off at doing a 20 min. program. I run for 1 min. and walk for 2 min. (for one week) and do that 7x's= 21 minutes. Then the second week I walk 1 min. and run 1 min. and so goes the schedule. I am to run/walk 3 to 4 X's a week. At the end of 10 weeks, I should be able to run for 20 minutes straight.
WISH me luck, I'm gonna need it. :)

Wow! That sounds great! Good luck!

I used to run about 40-50 miles a week (many years ago!). I was never so fit or thin in my life! When the weather permits, I walk 2 miles in around 35 minutes. A few weeks ago I tried to add running into my walks. I was able to run for only about 5 minutes. My knee's were killing me! I am not going to give up though! I am going to try to do what I can!

Good for you!!!!!:)

Ouch! Todat, surprisely I'm not sore but my heel spur is killing me. I'm off to www.newrunner.com and see what's up with that and if I cando something about it. :(

Buckalew, I have a heel spur, too! It USED to so painful that I could barely even walk, but since I started using the Spenco Orthotic arch supports (my Drs. suggestion), the pain has almost disappeared! I also find that New Balance shoes, has the best arch support for working out and running.

Buckalew, I have a heel spur, too! It USED to so painful that I could barely even walk, but since I started using the Spenco Orthotic arch supports (my Drs. suggestion), the pain has almost disappeared! I also find that New Balance shoes, has the best arch support for working out and running.

I think I'm going to get NB shoes. I wear a triple A (very narrow) so I think NB makes shoes in narrow and I need a good support. I think I overpronate(if that a word? LOL)
Please tell me about your Spenco Orthotic arch supports, though.

40-50 miles?! That is amazing. Thanks for your words of support.

Yep, 40-50 miles! That was a lot of years ago. I would run everyday, expect Sunday, about 6-8 miles a day. I ran 10Ks all the time. I think I have killed my knees from it though! Anyhow, you can get the Spenco Orthotic arch supports at Lady Foot locker, the Walking Store, Galyans, Dicks, etc. Be sure the are the orthotic arch supports. They come in full length and half length. I wear the half length. They also have a website www.spenco.com
I too have a very narrow foot and the New Balance does in widths, which is really nice. I try to get mine at Kohls because they are so much cheaper than other places.

Thanks for that info. You have been so helpful. I just finished day 3 and it was so much easier today than yesterday. I still am amazed at 40-50 miles!!!

Buckalew, congratulations on starting on your new running program. I'm also a runner and would like to make a suggestion to you if you don't mind. Shoes are the most important piece of equipment for a runner, so be careful what you put on your feet. Go to a specialty running store. The staff will videotape you running on a treadmill and analyze your running style (pronation, supination, or neutral), then suggest several appropriate shoe models. It may be a little more expensive than other sporting goods stores, but you can save yourself a lot of pain. I originally didn't heed this advice and ended up with a hip injury that sidelined me for 5 months.

If you're interested in a message board for runners (new and experienced) try Cool Running . There are a lot of knowledgeable people and plenty of running plans including one called Couch to 5k.

Good luck.

I'm starting back up running now also! I used to run in middle school and early high school but a car accident forced me to stop for awhile and I never got back into it regularly. I've been doing for a few weeks now (I had been walking daily on a treadmill for a few months) and I'm up to running a mile pretty comfortably. Slow but comfortably. Yesterday I ran for 16 minutes straight (my longest time thus far!) and didn't feel like I was going to die! I was doing great with the treadmill and had really upped my time and distance, so I didn't expect it to be so hard to start running again!! But I do really enjoy it. Great for stress, love the fresh air and love the sense of accomplishment!!

I plan to do a few 5Ks in the upcoming months. I'd love to do a 10K before the end of the summer but I don't know if that'll happen. But my final goal is the WDW marathon in 2005. When, DH and I honeymooned at WDW in 2000, we arrived the evening of race day and it was so cool to see everyone's medals and such. We had talked about coming back for our 5th anniversary and earlier this year, I decided I wanted to run the marathon as part of that celebration.

If you need a beginning runner buddy, let me know!

Indyman,
Thanks for that suggestion. DH did that once because he was hurting himself and they were able to see that he over pronated (or something like that)--it really helped him. He buys his shoes from Roadrunner sports and you can wear them for a month and if you have trouble you can send them back and try something else. I think that is pretty neat since I have always had trouble finding shoes that don't bother me just standing still cutting hair all day!
Thanks again for the support!!

Dopeygirl,
I think that would be nice. I am sure (esp. since you were a runner in school) that you are far more advanced for me but I think it would be nice. :) DH was supposed to run the Marathon in WDW this year (2002) and he was injured (ITB) and couldn't run for about 8 months (+ his dad passed away on the Jan.2) He had registered for it last Spring and today, today they sent him a WDW Marathon LS Tee-shirt! How cool of a surprise was that?! I'm hoping to shrink it a bit and sneak it out for a run! LOL
That is a great goal, DG. Maybe I'll do theor fun run someday!! :D

tonight I ran for 10 mins., walked for 5 mins. ran for 2, walked for 1, and ran another 2 mins!

I am thrilled because 3 weeks ago, I could hardly run that 1 min!!
Just had to tell someone. :D

That is awesome! I am so envious! It has been so darn cold here, I can't stay outside for more that a few minutes. We got 2" of snow tonight! I can't wait to get out there again!

Way to go, Buckalew!!! You are at the stage where you'll make noticeable improvements as long as you stay with it. Maybe in the near furture you'll be looking for some local 5k races to participate in.

You're doing great, Buck!!

I've had two bad weeks. Two weeks ago, I just couldn't seem to make my legs move like I wanted them to move. Last week I was just lazy. LOL I walked this morning with a friend and didn't plan on running. But I was out running a few errands this evening and it was just so beautiful! I got home and changed and headed out. My goal was to run a 4 min and a 6 min and then head home. My first running segment was a really easy six minutes. Walked for three and started up again and was able to go 11 without much problem! I was so excited! My body just fell right back into the rhythm--what a great feeling! I was moving slowly but at least I was moving! So I have my motivation back (for now at least! LOL) Now I just have to get BACK to where I was.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Tonight I ran for the FULL 20 mins! Hey! That is a long time to me! ;) I can't believe that 4 weeks ago I had a hard time running that 1 min. and I ran for 20 tonight! Actually, I ran and while I ran (*disney nut warning*) I thought of being at WDW and I actually went through a whole day and what I'd do if I was there. (I mean from getting out of bed and having the pic in my head to where I'd eat & what I'd eat) and I felt like I spent the day in AK! Before I knew it the 20 mins was up and I think I could have run a bit longer even! Tomorrow, I may go to MK! LOL :D I'm thnking this could be my secret "runner's high" that you hear runner's speak off. ;)

Dopeygirl, it sounds like you are back in the swing of things! Keep it up!! :)

Indyman, I would love to do that. DH has teeshirts from so many races he has done. I would love to enter a 5K sometime.

Strange, my heel is feeling a bit better now. I am wearing my new New Balance 764's! :D

20 min is a long time! Great job! I mix walking & jogging - generally with more walking. Today I reached 5 miles. My junior & senior year of college I jogged 3 miles, 3 days per week. I loved it! I never got past the 3 miles. Anytime I tried, I'd get injured. I finally just settled with that mileage & it worked great. As long as I ran I stayed thin! Nowadays I'm finding I have to alternate walk/jogs with biking and/or cardio gliding to keep injuries down.

I hit two straight miles of running last night for the first time! Boy was I on a high afterwards! I wanted to keep going but it was starting to get awfully dark and I was almost home, so I did my cool-down walk and called it a night.

And my pace was really good for last night's run. The first mile, I created a new personal best that was about 2 1/2 minutes better than my previous best! I didn't run with a walkman and I think that made the dfference. I thought I might ache a bit today but I'm not, so that's good.

I just can't believe how far I went last night with so little effort (I'm not sure which part surprises me most!).

I took tonight off but plan to go back out tomorrow night!

Hi everyone!
I'm also a new runner. I started about 2 months ago...but I don't think I've made as much progress as all of you! Great job everyone!

I run on a treadmill and I walk 1 lap/jog 2/walk 1/jog 2/walk 1/jog 2 and then cool down.
My 2 lap jog takes about 7 minutes, so I am jogging for a total of just over 21 minutes (1.5 miles). I just can't seem to jog for more than 2 laps at a time though without feeling like I can't breath!

I do really enjoy it though and would like to do a 5K sometime....if I can ever get past only running a 1/2 mile at a time!!!
Any suggestions?

Geri, Congratulations on starting a running program. I started running about a year ago after a 15 year layoff. It was a struggle at first but I stuck with it and started seeing steady improvements in both performance and weight loss. Since then I've lost 25 lbs and am up to 35 miles per week and have run a couple of 10k and 5 mile races.. As a matter of fact, the day after tomorrow I will be running in the Indy 500 Festival mini marathon (13.1 miles). I've come a long way in a year and plan on running as long I'm able.

My suggestions to you.

1) Get proper running shoes. They are the most important piece of equipment for a runner. If you have a specialty running store in your area, I'd strongly suggest going to one. They will fit you based on your running mechanics and foot .

2) Don't overdo it. Running faster or longer than you're ready for will only lead to injury and discouragement. Listen to your body.

3) Start a beginner's program. There is a good one here .

4) Have fun!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter