Running out of Turkey legs 15-20ish minutes before Prince Eric's closure, should Disney transfer turkey legs from liberty square or burden the guests?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not trying to be rude or anything but most people have encountered a restaurant running out of a particular item in their lifetime. I don’t see why Disney restaurants would be excluded from that, especially 15 minutes before close when if they cook too much there is a very high chance they will need to toss a bunch of food. At this point when I go to a spot and they are about to close I’m expecting something to not be available.

It’s not something that needs a sign posted.
ITs not rude, its a valid statement/question. The difference is Disney has the ability to move Turkey legs from Liberty square to Prince Eric, other restaurants do not have that ability most of the time. This situation would of been different if lets say no where else in MK sold Turkey Legs. The issue lies with instead of Disney proactively reallocating the Turkey legs or moving them, they shift the burden to the guests. That's where the crux of my concern is, that it was very much preventable. But a sign should be posted or something in an app to alert people to not make the trek. If Disney can have wait times listed for all the rides in their apps and mobile ordering they surely could have a system to let people know when certain items go out of stock.

Also, the hammer the point home as I too am a Disney shareholder, not transferring the Turkey legs increases the chances of MK having Turkey leg waste at the end of the day because not everyone who wants a Turkey leg at Prince Eric's will go to liberty square. Thus, overall less people will consume turkey legs that day and thus increase the risk of liberty square having left over turkey legs at the end of the day. Turkey legs that could have been purchased by people at prince eric's, if the proper transfer too place. As a shareholder the method used currently is not ideal and does not maximize shareholder profit.
There are other way less profitable practices in place that would be my concern first. Doing everything to maximize turkey leg sales would likely not yield significant shareholder dollars. So to answer your original question, I find it acceptable although I agree that a “sold out” sign should be posted.

I just got back from Disney and had an amazing trip. But DH and I had an interesting conversation about the entitlement towards “surprise and delight” that we are starting to feel (unintentionally of course.) If you are at 6 Flags and they run out of food, you kind of shrug your shoulders and know that this is what happens in an amusement park. But Disney’s goal is to surprise and delight you, so in other circumstances they have probably gone above and beyond your typical amusement park expectations. Now however, rather than being surprised and delighted, your new expectation is the higher bar and you’re disappointed that they didn’t do more to meet your expectations regarding the turkey legs. We had that feeling a few times on our trip about different small things. It feels like the magic is missing but really it’s just that we are expecting magic every time.

There are other way less profitable practices in place that would be my concern first. Doing everything to maximize turkey leg sales would likely not yield significant shareholder dollars. So to answer your original question, I find it acceptable although I agree that a “sold out” sign should be posted.

I just got back from Disney and had an amazing trip. But DH and I had an interesting conversation about the entitlement towards “surprise and delight” that we are starting to feel (unintentionally of course.) If you are at 6 Flags and they run out of food, you kind of shrug your shoulders and know that this is what happens in an amusement park. But Disney’s goal is to surprise and delight you, so in other circumstances they have probably gone above and beyond your typical amusement park expectations. Now however, rather than being surprised and delighted, your new expectation is the higher bar and you’re disappointed that they didn’t do more to meet your expectations regarding the turkey legs. We had that feeling a few times on our trip about different small things. It feels like the magic is missing but really it’s just that we are expecting magic every time.
That's interesting and I have never thought about it before but it does ring true with my own experiences. Disney's own worst enemy is itself by setting the bar so high. The next worst enemy is the guest who goes too often and thus that bar get set even higher and higher each time when they see what Disney is capable of doing. (I am that guest who goes too often most likely as I have been there about 25% of the days over summer)

Definitely! I would imagine the more often you go to the parks, the more great experiences you have. But then great becomes the norm, and anything less than great feels like a disappointment. I could see that being the case with your turkey leg. We had two disappointments last week: the Beast’s appearance during lunch at BOG- it’s such a joke, it shouldn’t even be called a character interaction. And park hopping- one day we arrived earlier than anticipated at 1:15pm and had to wait around with 4 children in the Florida August heat. That was especially frustrating considering that the 2pm rule didn’t exist on our last trip. But I would probably not have been disappointed if I didn’t know that Disney is capable of doing so much better (and that Disney has done so much better in the past!)

Definitely! I would imagine the more often you go to the parks, the more great experiences you have. But then great becomes the norm, and anything less than great feels like a disappointment. I could see that being the case with your turkey leg. We had two disappointments last week: the Beast’s appearance during lunch at BOG- it’s such a joke, it shouldn’t even be called a character interaction. And park hopping- one day we arrived earlier than anticipated at 1:15pm and had to wait around with 4 children in the Florida August heat. That was especially frustrating considering that the 2pm rule didn’t exist on our last trip. But I would probably not have been disappointed if I didn’t know that Disney is capable of doing so much better (and that Disney has done so much better in the past!)
Yea I have heard about the beast appearance being disappointing and its more of the beast dancing through the room pretty swiftly I've heard.
Yea I feel you on stuff changing, its like in DC where now you need tickets to get in everywhere, wheras in the past you didn't

But yes I have seen what Disney is capable of doing and that likely changes my expectations. If Disney wants to be top dog they need to put forth the effort to actually be top dog.

Disney should offer "Turkey Leg Twenty" where for twenty minutes guests can buy turkey leg and ride The Little Mermaid while eating turkey leg, but only for twenty minute

I know this sounds like a joke but I'm being serious

I wouldn’t want to be the poor guest who gets on the ride right after that & gets to sit in a nice, messy, greasy vehicle. :sad2:

So let’s see, a CM transfers 20 turkey legs to a stand that’s closing in 15 minutes. The OP buys the ones (s?) they want. Now more people show up at the Liberty Square cart & buy what they had left. The next party there gets told…sorry all sold out, but you can go to Prince Eric cart if you get there within the next X minutes. So that party gets mad & sends a complaint to guest services. Says Disney should have transferred more legs from PE to LS. Meanwhile, no one else comes to the PE cart for turkey legs they’re now left with excess legs when they close. So what now, a CM moves them back to LS?? Where they sit coz now no one there wants them? I mean, it’s just comical what could go on.

I also find it off putting when someone joins this website & on their 4th post calls a 20 year member with over 25,000 helpful posts a troll. :thumbsup2 :rolleyes:

Maybe it would be unacceptable if they didn't use this specific instance to reevaluate ways they let guests know about outages. Maybe they have tried in the past to let the guests in line know in different ways and they ended up badly, maybe they have a normal way and they forgot to do it.....it can give the team at the location a reminder that it is unexpected by guests and they can be more proactive in communicating.

But that will be just a help for them to prepare for the future, you won't see anything immediately....

I also find it off putting when someone joins this website & on their 4th post calls a 20 year member with over 25,000 helpful posts a troll. :thumbsup2 :rolleyes:
Thank you and no worries ~ when I first read the post (their first after joining yesterday) I thought they were joking or trolling. Although I do love a creative sarcastic post every now and then. I actually read it a few times to wrap my head around the concept that not getting a turkey leg ... A TURKEY LEG ... could cause so much; an email and joining a board to complain.

I am comfortable in my DIS content and honestly I was trying to be very unemotional in my response. I am glad the email from Disney was shared because it was perfect. But in the end I don't think OP got the support he wanted here based on responses. :rolleyes:

I've said it a million times, if Disney (or any other luxury destination) no longer provides you enjoyment, is not up to your standards, is disappointing ... it's time to stop going or take a break.

Last edited:
Anyways it appears that
Disney should offer "Turkey Leg Twenty" where for twenty minutes guests can buy turkey leg and ride The Little Mermaid while eating turkey leg, but only for twenty minute

I know this sounds like a joke but I'm being serious
It would be much much more entertaining if it was done on Tron, then you can see everyone eating them as they fly overhead and pray the riders have a good grip on the turkey legs.

So let’s see, a CM transfers 20 turkey legs to a stand that’s closing in 15 minutes. The OP buys the ones (s?) they want. Now more people show up at the Liberty Square cart & buy what they had left. The next party there gets told…sorry all sold out, but you can go to Prince Eric cart if you get there within the next X minutes. So that party gets mad & sends a complaint to guest services. Says Disney should have transferred more legs from PE to LS. Meanwhile, no one else comes to the PE cart for turkey legs they’re now left with excess legs when they close. So what now, a CM moves them back to LS?? Where they sit coz now no one there wants them? I mean, it’s just comical what could go on.

Just some facts: if Prince Eric's has excessive turkey legs at close they go to Gaston's where they are available and marked as limited time offering. Liberty square is open until 9pmish while Prince Eric's is open until 6pm. If 20 Turkey legs moved from LS to PE would result in no more Turkey legs at LS the rest of the night then there is a bigger issue at play and horrendous planning. No excessive Turkey legs at PE at close will go to waste, now regarding excessive turkey legs at LS, I am unsure but that is irrelevant and actually that issue will be reduced by transferring.

Just because someone has a lot of posts and has been around a long time doesn't really mean much, just look at Donald Trump as a prime example.

No waste or leftovers that may go unused. Running out 15 minutes prior to close is almost spot on. I am not sure of Disney's policy but food from a remote location may not be able to be transferred back to another location (restaurant) to be served.
I mean the very fact that additional people wanted Turkey legs proves that them running out prematurely was not spot on....................

Thank you and no worries ~ when I first read the post (their first after joining yesterday) I thought they were joking or trolling. Although I do love a creative sarcastic post every now and then. I actually read it a few times to wrap my head around the concept that not getting a turkey leg ... A TURKEY LEG ... could cause so much; an email and joining a board to complain.

I am comfortable in my DIS content and honestly I was trying to be very unemotional in my response. I am glad the email from Disney was shared because it was perfect. But in the end I don't think OP got the support he wanted here based on responses. :rolleyes:

I've said it a million times, if Disney (or any other luxury destination) no longer provides you enjoyment, is not up to your standards, is disappointing ... it's time to stop going or take a break.
The issue with that is I am stuck with this annual pass that I feel I need to get maximum value out of. Oh the sunken cost fallacy or as was said by a previous poster "surprise and delight"

Listen I'm glad they aren't worried about the turkey legs. they got lots of other stuff that are more imp to worry about like making sure 9-10 rides don't go down at the same time. I can deal with the no turkey leg situation even though they are pretty good. but man messy and have climbed in price way way more than the actual increase in turkey prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter