Run Disney - certain places off limits for pictures?

I was taking pictures back stage Disneyland of what looked like pieces from the 60th anniversary castle and Disney clearly announced over a loud speaker that no pictures were to be taken back stage. That was during the 10k... During the half, I took some pictures behind DCA and again.. one cast member said, NO PICTURES.

If they really don't want us taking pictures backstage then they shouldn't put stilt walkers, characters, etc... back there for us to take pictures of/with. :duck:
I only took a picture with stilt walkers backstage at W&D 10k as a courtesy though there was somebody cool shots I would of loved to take
I was once on a non-running related Disney railroad tour that had us go onto Main Street USA before MK opened - the tour guide asked us not to take pictures of the park, just the train. That was because they had service vehicles (i.e., pick-up trucks) on MSU that kind of spoils the Music Man River City effect that they strive for.
We were in Liberty Square on a pre park open tour and the guide said you can take pictures of anything as long as it was a part of the lands aesthetic (ex: no vans or mansion cms in sunglasses and jackets)

I completely plowed over someone who decided to take a last minute picture and stopped in the middle of the path to do it. I'm built like a 225 pound linebacker so it had to hurt, but it also takes a bit to stop the train once it's moving. The runner was OK and apologized for stopping, but it could have been worse.

Wow, they apologized! Disneyland Half 2014 a couple was dithering while jogging down the middle of a backstage water station. Finally the woman decided she wanted a drink and the guy with her (who was super-tall) stopped dead in his tracks. He got my foot on his heel because you just don't do that. I'm not built like a linebacker (anymore) so it likely only irritated him, but I certaily didnt' get an apology!

And it's AMAZING what a "sorry!" can do during a run like that! At once point on Sunday I got stupid and came right out, and I immediately said sorry and got a big smile in response! Another lady gave me a high 5 when I did my slowing for a walk interval just perfectly (loud beep from my new timer, hand up, looking behind me both sides, THEN moving and slowing). These little things mean so much when we're working so hard (even if my hard is a whole lot slower than someone else's hard)

so I still think that CM just felt like being a butt with a powerplay to you @Ariel484 which is so lame.

Totally.

Yeah, it wasn't like he was posted there to scold people - he just so happened to be walking by when I was there. :rolleyes2 Whatever!

I wonder if he was just on his way to work, and saw you doing that, and did a kneejerk reaction. There's nothing I've ever seen in written rules about no pictures. They put picture moments backstage. They project light images on buildings BACKSTAGE; we're not supposed to take a picture of the millenium falcon on the food services (or whatever) building? Really? ha ha.

I don't know what the rules are!

If they don't have it written; it's not a rule.

Disney doesn't really send runners through backstage areas that are not supposed to be seen.

Exactly.

Though I'd be happy if they would stop sending us through areas with stinky dumpsters!

This is what I got yelled at for during the 5K...

Oh they purposely lit that up! Come on now, they meant for it to be seen, they know runners have their phones with them...just because random CMs are going by normal rules doesn't mean it's THE rule.

Disneyland seems to be stricter about the backstage area than WDW.

FWIW I haven't had anyone say "no pictures" at all to me, and there were tons of people taking them backstage this weekend, right in front of CMs.

I totally screwed up in the marathon. Was wearing a hat and as I felt it fly off my head I totally stopped and reacted to it not thinking. Nearly got myself killed and so glad the guy that had to dodge me didn't get hurt. I said sorry like 1000 times to him. Was one of those stupid reactions and not thinking. Luckily he wasn't angry with me and all was ok. But man did I feel dumb lol

I have had both experiences. During Tink I took a photo with a large bug- it was a great selfie- backstage.
But got scolded when I tried to do the same photo with the same bug during the DL Half!

I have also run by an area with CM costumes that were outside for some reason and they had a CM standing there telling everyone running by "no pictures".
Backstage photos are one of my favorite aspects of RD races! I am always looking for something new to capture.

Near the 2 different imagineering buildings they will say no photos. That would make sense if you were kind of behind the festival center/mission space as imagineering is there. They also did this around the imagineering office behind Disneyland. Not sure why as there was nothing outside either time I've run by.

During the Star Wars 10K, they were fine with people taking photos of the Sleeping Beauty Castle turrets backstage this past weekend. When I stopped to take a picture during the 1/2 of the diamond tops from the 60th anniversary backstage, I was asked to keep running because this was not a place where runners could stop. But it felt substantially more like a don't take a picture here because of the nature of the course than don't take a picture of this because we don't want you to.

I totally screwed up in the marathon. Was wearing a hat and as I felt it fly off my head I totally stopped and reacted to it not thinking. Nearly got myself killed and so glad the guy that had to dodge me didn't get hurt. I said sorry like 1000 times to him. Was one of those stupid reactions and not thinking. Luckily he wasn't angry with me and all was ok. But man did I feel dumb lol

Aw. You said sorry, he was OK.

the diamond tops from the 60th anniversary backstage

Is that what those things were? On the right at the edge of a building, on the ground? I kept thinking "does Disney own Superman b/c I feel like I'm in his ice cave thing with all the crystals" when I went by them each time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter