Run Disney - certain places off limits for pictures?

theme_park_mom

Dis fan
I just ran my first Disney 10K (YAY! It was a blast!), and they took us through some back stage areas of Epcot, right behind Test Track. Are those areas off limits for picture taking? I saw someone getting yelled at by other runners for taking pictures, and I was confused.

Is there somewhere we can find out what areas are off limits for pictures? thanks!!

The only time I ever got yelled at for taking pictures during a race was when I was dumb and stopped in the middle of the course (like @bumbershoot says above - quick, embarrassing lesson in race etiquette for me!) and when I took pictures of the secret Rivers of Lights floats that were right out there in the open for all to see during this year's holiday 5K...:rolleyes2 (still bitter about that)

and when I took pictures of the secret Rivers of Lights floats that were right out there in the open for all to see during this year's holiday 5K

Well that's weird. By cms?

What were they doing about the people with GoPros strapped to their heads?

Bet you could google an image search and find what you weren't allowed to photograph.

I think you are right @bumbershoot - I wasn't paying close attention, but that could have been the case!
thank you all so much for your feedback. I wanted to get some of those backstage shots, and I definitely will next time!! (but no dead stopping or backing up! LOL)

I completely plowed over someone who decided to take a last minute picture and stopped in the middle of the path to do it. I'm built like a 225 pound linebacker so it had to hurt, but it also takes a bit to stop the train once it's moving. The runner was OK and apologized for stopping, but it could have been worse.

As for Disney, if they don't want a photo taken, you wouldn't be allowed to run there.

The RoL float I referenced above was not at all covered and had bright lights shining on it - almost like they'd lit it for pictures. When the CM told me I could take a picture I'm pretty sure my reaction was o_O

I completely plowed over someone who decided to take a last minute picture and stopped in the middle of the path to do it. I'm built like a 225 pound linebacker so it had to hurt, but it also takes a bit to stop the train once it's moving. The runner was OK and apologized for stopping, but it could have been worse.
oh no! I bet they never made that mistake again :)
to be honest, I could have easily made that same mistake since this was my first run. I am glad I didn't have to learn the hard way!
I think everyone just gets so excited and forgets there are 12,000 people there with them :)

I've never had problems taking pictures anywhere along course. If they don't want pics of it, they shouldn't have it out I would think.

I can't quote for some reason right now, but my brother took pictures of the Rivers of Light stuff during the 5k and no one stopped him so I still think that CM just felt like being a butt with a powerplay to you @Ariel484 which is so lame.

I've never had problems taking pictures anywhere along course. If they don't want pics of it, they shouldn't have it out I would think.

I can't quote for some reason right now, but my brother took pictures of the Rivers of Light stuff during the 5k and no one stopped him so I still think that CM just felt like being a butt with a powerplay to you @Ariel484 which is so lame.
Yeah, it wasn't like he was posted there to scold people - he just so happened to be walking by when I was there. :rolleyes2 Whatever!

That's funny - just this last marathon I was running in the backstage area behind England about to come out "on stage" and one of the security people yelled at a runner behind me "no pictures backstage". And it had to be because of the picture taking because there weren't enough of us in that area at that point to fill a bathtub let alone impede other runners.

I was kinda surprised. I've run a BUNCH of Disney races now and that's the first time I've heard anybody told they can't take a picture in a certain area.

I've taken plenty of pictures backstage myself and never had a problem.

That's funny - just this last marathon I was running in the backstage area behind England about to come out "on stage" and one of the security people yelled at a runner behind me "no pictures backstage". And it had to be because of the picture taking because there weren't enough of us in that area at that point to fill a bathtub let alone impede other runners.
that is so interesting!!! I am so intrigued now! I don't know what the rules are!

BTW, awesome running resume @ANIM8R - I am so impressed!!! :)

I have had cast members specifically state no photos backstage at Disneyland races before. I have not had that experience with Disney World race pictures backstage. Depends on if they catch you or what you are taking a picture of I suppose.

I loved having the CMs tell me no backstage photography when I was using the new Express Bus transportation over marathon weekend. Then during the races I took photos back there because I could.

Disney doesn't really send runners through backstage areas that are not supposed to be seen. The backstage areas we run through are mostly backsides of buildings where trucks make deliveries and stuff like that.

This is what I got yelled at for during the 5K...if they really didn't want pics taken, why not shut off the lights or dim them or something?

Embedded in a spoiler tag in case people don't want to see RoL floats (even though I know a lot of them are online already):
30844494146_0e65fd2d9a_z.jpg

My little group got yelled at for taking pics with a pile of kegs backstage: "NO PHOTOS BACKSTAGE!!!!!" Um, half the race is "backstage", lol! Just be honest and say "We don't want you taking pics of kegs in WDW." Or better yet, maybe just move the kegs from the course, if it's that big of a deal. ;) That was the only time out of many, many races I've ever been told "no photos backstage."

I was once on a non-running related Disney railroad tour that had us go onto Main Street USA before MK opened - the tour guide asked us not to take pictures of the park, just the train. That was because they had service vehicles (i.e., pick-up trucks) on MSU that kind of spoils the Music Man River City effect that they strive for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter