Rumored Changes to G+

I just looked up Silver Dollar City, having never heard of it. It's half the size of the smallest park at WDW and about 1/4 the attendance of the least-visited WDW park. No surprise that they can do things differently there.
It's not the size nor attendance with respects to functionality and the fact that you point to that means you aren't quite thinking about what you said.

Virtually every other park out there that has a get ahead of the line system does something that somehow funnels people through lines and not have them plan in advance.

Despite what some say Disney parks themselves are not as unique as one would think.

Sure you can point to a random example I threw out there of SDC but for one SDC was named the best theme park (subjective but no one points that out if it's Disney lol), two if you're going to say "it's basically impossible to balance "I don't want to have to over plan my vacation ahead of time" with "I want to make sure I get on the rides I want without too much waiting." you need to broaden your knowledge about other parks.

So while it may be convenient to attempt to push back about a random mention of another park I had hoped the meat of the point was more the discussion.

Just wish we knew when in 2024. 🙄
When.... and also what, if any changes - all the posts are just rumors, speculation, and some wishful thinking (based on how we personally would like to see it!!) at this point. But with G+ selling out right now for the highest prices so far - Disney can't be in too big a hurry to make changes to something that's working for them.....

That's fair. Universal is not that much smaller than WDW and that system works there too. IMO the biggest difference is the attitude of guests between parks.

Meaning as much as people will complain about waiting in lines at Universal or other parks, they accept that's part of going to a park.
True and that's an observation my DISer group and I had as well (who have been to more than just Disney parks) but just using the SDC their most in demand ride was about 70 mins standby and less than 5 for us although we had just by luck walked up at the right time as we saw more entering the line behind us. You can only go through one time even with the unlimited trailblazer (they hole punch your pass) for that particular attraction (which is Kali on steroids) but they had a completely different line for it on the opposite side and loading area. But they also were loading the attraction when there weren't people in the line something of which Disney is not known to do, something of which Universal is much more known to do. There are various things that Disney does that other parks don't but ones of which I don't see as a positive.

I don't even mind the planning part but I do find it overly much for a theme park. Someone mentioned planning to Europe as if that should be on the same level as a theme park. We're about to do our second Europe trip (first was a cruise) and I would find it ironic in the worst of ways that visiting 6 countries by train and something like 10 different cities via those train (well plane to get to Europe first) and requires less or the same work as a Disney theme park trip :lmao:

Virtually every other park out there that has a get ahead of the line system does something that somehow funnels people through lines and not have them plan in advance.

Despite what some say Disney parks themselves are not as unique as one would think.
Other than other Disney parks, could you please tell me what parks are comparable to WDW? A place where one goes on a week-long vacation and still hasn't seen/done nearly everything? With a broad range of rides, including enough non-thrill rides to appeal to every member of a family? And Broadway-calibre shows? With amazing theming, landscaping, and architecture? Not to mention many terrific resorts and restaurants?

The only parks that come close are Universal's, and, from what I gather, a huge percentage of the attractions there that aren't for very young kids are thrill rides, which is why I've never been. And do Universal parkgoers visit for one or two weeks at a stretch? Maybe they do. But if you stay at a Universal deluxe resort, you get Express Pass included, so there's no comparison there.

When.... and also what, if any changes - all the posts are just rumors, speculation, and some wishful thinking (based on how we personally would like to see it!!) at this point. But with G+ selling out right now for the highest prices so far - Disney can't be in too big a hurry to make changes to something that's working for them.....
I believe there will be changes. And no doubt, Disney is not going to lose a dime on any thing they tweak. Your right, its a cash cow for them.

Other than other Disney parks, could you please tell me what parks are comparable to WDW? A place where one goes on a week-long vacation and still hasn't seen/done nearly everything? With a broad range of rides, including enough non-thrill rides to appeal to every member of a family? And Broadway-calibre shows? With amazing theming, landscaping, and architecture? Not to mention many terrific resorts and restaurants?

The only parks that come close are Universal's, and, from what I gather, a huge percentage of the attractions there that aren't for very young kids are thrill rides, which is why I've never been. And do Universal parkgoers visit for one or two weeks at a stretch? Maybe they do. But if you stay at a Universal deluxe resort, you get Express Pass included, so there's no comparison there.
TBH, with all due respect, this is exactly what I mean. If you want to have the good conversation you've got to remove Disney from the pedestal you've got it on so that you can focus on other things. You really think that Disney is the only theme park out there that does stuff? Or is it that you either haven't been to other theme parks, haven't looked at what other theme parks have to offer or merely just have the preference for how Disney does it? The answer to your question is yes other theme parks out there exist that do stuff.

I wouldn't use the "week long vacation" here especially because not everyone does it all nor spends that much time down there. My parents took me to Disney the first time when I was a toddler and we only went to MK according to my mom. It doesn't mean we didn't go to Disney (back then they had 3 parks as AK wasn't built yet and DHS was MGM). And there are people who spend quite a lot of time at Universal as well more than I want to but they do. Just as you can skip a park at Disney (usually seems DHS is skipped but also AK).

SDC for instance does in the winter like what you saw for Osbourne lights and the rest of they year they offer a ton of entertainment in the parks (the saloon show is hilarious) as that's part of what they are they have a lot of crafters you can see them make chocolate, glass blowing and the like. They briefly did Winterfest at my regional park but the pandemic kind of killed that. Most of the regional parks in the U.S. have a lot to offer for kids as well as thrill seekers. Worldwide we were just talking the other day about European theme parks including Phantasialand in Germany which has amazing theming to it, that's what its known for and its hotels are in the park.

Disney is a theme park at the end of the day and if you're talking about functionality of a get ahead of the line system it's not impossible to create one where people don't have to plan in advance but also get less wait time. I get it people are very much used to the lowest wait they can possibly get with Disney. If you get outside of thinking that way the discussion becomes more interesting.

I'd also like to mention when you describe things you do it in a biased way. "Broadway-calibre shows" I'm sorry I'm at a theme park, I don't need Broadway style to call a show good. It's setting up the discussion where only Disney wins...to you that is.

we've been 5 times since Genie+ was introduced, and haven't used it yet, except for buying 1 LL for my DS to get an extra ride on Guardians. But we go a lot, and have APs, BUT the one trip we did during the time APs were not for sale, and DS and I only had 2 day tickets, was the only time I feel I would totally have paid for genie+.
I never feel Disney is a relaxing vacation, and we are planners. and much preferred when we could book our 3 FPs in advance. If they do actually roll out a way to get 3 genie reservations ahead of time, we might finally consider buying it, at least at HS.
We also love Universal, and love staying at a premier for their express. I do not think that would work at WDW. There are way too many deluxe hotels at WDW. I do think it might work to be able to buy an express pass at WDW, but ONLY for 1 use on each ride. Definitely not the unlimited. pass, or regular lines would never move. We've also never paid separately for express at Universal, it's common for it to be $150 or over per person, per day.
ETA. Just checked express pass prices at Universal this week Thanksgiving day it is $309.99 per person, 1 day, for 2 park unlimited express.
Frankly, I prefer when some standby lines are just that. Standby, and it keeps moving, no express. Like Hagrids at Universal, and Velocicoaster used to be (and Smuggler's Run.) Once Velocicoaster started taking express, that line became AWFUL!
Anyway, hoping they're changing it to getting some LLs in advance, and maybe we'll try it.

Last edited:
Nobody is forced to plan. But like just about everywhere else in life, if you want to just show up, expect to either wait longer, pay extra for immediate gratification, or just miss out.
I agree nobody is forced to plan. At the same time going to a theme park shouldn't involve this much planning. IMO all that should be required to plan is your transportation, your resort and some dining. Planning what time to ride an attraction is too much.

> That's partly because Universal's product is effectively much more expensive

...and the same is true at Dollywood, another Herschend park (same ownership as SDC). Dollywood's product is $60 for five uses, but excluding the two attractions with the longest waits. It's $80 per person per day for the full monty--and even there, you can only use it on the most popular covered attraction once.

For comparison, a signle-day ticket to Dollywood is only $92, so the full VQ is close to doubling the admission cost. WDW would charge at least as much as a single-day ticket, and probably more.

Planners have always had an advantage with every system Disney has implemented and IMO I don't think that aspect will be going away.
Do they? I don't think that subgroup of visitors gets an advantage with current Genie+. The thing I like the most about it is that it puts everyone on the same field. Offsite, Deluxe, Value, APs, DIS fans, families that don't know about Genie+ till they get there. Everyone has the same shot at LLs.

Don't get me wrong me, if they do the 1 in advance or however many I will do them because I don't want to be at a disadvantage, my pride is not that big, but I will not like it.

> That's partly because Universal's product is effectively much more expensive

...and the same is true at Dollywood, another Herschend park (same ownership as SDC). Dollywood's product is $60 for five uses, but excluding the two attractions with the longest waits. It's $80 per person per day for the full monty--and even there, you can only use it on the most popular covered attraction once.

For comparison, a signle-day ticket to Dollywood is only $92, so the full VQ is close to doubling the admission cost. WDW would charge at least as much as a single-day ticket, and probably more.
There is a reason it costs that much. It limits how many people buy it. Which does 2 things, one it makes standby better as it moves constantly and two, those who buy it actually get their money's worth.

It's probably fair to say that planners (i.e. "experienced guests") do have an advantage, but it is smaller than it was for FP+ or FP.

Do they? I don't think that subgroup of visitors gets an advantage with current Genie+. The thing I like the most about it is that it puts everyone on the same field. Offsite, Deluxe, Value, APs, DIS fans, families that don't know about Genie+ till they get there. Everyone has the same shot at LLs.

Don't get me wrong me, if they do the 1 in advance or however many I will do them because I don't want to be at a disadvantage, my pride is not that big, but I will not like it.
What Brian said is what I mean. Planners = experienced guests that know how Genie+ works. Those people have an advantage over those that aren't as familiar with Genie+.

Like, for example someone that understands how stacking works will utilize Genie+ better than someone that doesn't.

What Brian said is what I mean. Planners = experienced guests that know how Genie+ works. Those people have an advantage over those that aren't as familiar with Genie+.

Like, for example someone that understands how stacking works will utilize Genie+ better than someone that doesn't.
That is not what I mean. But ok.

I agree nobody is forced to plan. At the same time going to a theme park shouldn't involve this much planning. IMO all that should be required to plan is your transportation, your resort and some dining. Planning what time to ride an attraction is too much.

But aren't you still doing that with Genie+, it's just last-minute planning that begins at 7am and continues all day?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter