Rumor - Buffets may be returning to Walt Disney World Dining Locations

This is a good thing IMO. The CDC has said for months that the risk of surface transmission is generally very low. We should start acting like it. I’ll definitely be eating at Boma in October.
This is from the CDC guidelines for restaurants and other organizations providing food. Buffets are specifically addressed

“Avoid offering any self-serve food or drink options, such as buffets, salad bars, and drink stations. This limits the use of shared serving utensils, handles, buttons, or touchscreens and helps customers to stay seated and at least 6 feet apart from people who do not live in their household.”

Everyone’s risk assessment and comfort level will be different.The return to buffets in the way Disney has decided to implement is, in my view, contrary to CDC recommendations. Lots of great non- buffet places are now open so I’ll be leaving the buffets to people whose risk assessment is lower than mine.

Good news is, for those so inclined, I don’t think you’ll have any problems getting reservations.

My daughter will be very happy. Though I don't think it will be in time for our trip. I do hope that some safety measures and other changes will be initiated.

I definitely agree with that. I have no issues if some people want to avoid buffets. Personally, touching a shared spoon is no more dangerous to me than any other part of life right now. To each their own.
Fair enough.

The issue I have is invoking the CDC in support of your personal choice when they have, in fact, issued guidelines on buffets which specifically contradict this.

There are many who will ignore the CDC position on this and other matters… but it should at least be represented fairly.

Fair enough.

The issue I have is invoking the CDC in support of your personal choice when they have, in fact, issued guidelines on buffets which specifically contradict this.

There are many who will ignore the CDC position on this and other matters… but it should at least be represented fairly.

That's fine but invoking the CDC in support of your personal choice runs both ways. I can easily read the CDC findings on surface transmission and say you're the one ignoring their position. But I'm not. I'm respecting your opinion.

So to represent their position on this fairly as you say, here's their report on the low possibility of COVID being transferred by a surface indoors - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/science-and-research/surface-transmission.html. This is not new information.

You have chosen to read their restaurant guidelines and base your opinion on that. I am choosing to read their report on surface transmission and base my opinion on that. Do not act like I am ignoring their position. They have made it clear for months that it is very safe to touch things.

I'm not interested in a back and forth debate but you're the one who felt it was necessary to reply to my comment about this being a good thing with your own opinion, and I see from your post history that you're doing this in multiple threads about Boma. You've made your point and I'm sure you'll make it again. I will not be responding anymore.

That's fine but invoking the CDC in support of your personal choice runs both ways. I can easily read the CDC findings on surface transmission and say you're the one ignoring their position. But I'm not. I'm respecting your opinion.

So to represent their position on this fairly as you say, here's their report on the low possibility of COVID being transferred by a surface indoors - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/science-and-research/surface-transmission.html. This is not new information.

You have chosen to read their restaurant guidelines and base your opinion on that. I am choosing to read their report on surface transmission and base my opinion on that. Do not act like I am ignoring their position. They have made it clear for months that it is very safe to touch things.

I'm not interested in a back and forth debate but you're the one who felt it was necessary to reply to my comment about this being a good thing with your own opinion, and I see from your post history that you're doing this in multiple threads about Boma. You've made your point and I'm sure you'll make it again. I will not be responding anymore.
But this thread is filled with exactly these two points, however, so I consider it a useful conversation. Some are cancelling reservations, some are making reservations. People benefit where information and positions are discussed.

In the end, people will vote with their feet. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Not needed. Never a fan of these anyway. You want to roll the dice go ahead but I don’t want people all over my food who I don’t know.

I’m debating on cancelling our oct trip because of so much Covid in Florida. I wouldn’t even consider a buffet now although I love several at Disney.

I’m happy to hear this. If it turns out to be true and done in the traditional way, I’ll think about packing some disposable gloves. Between that and hand sanitizer/handwashing, it’ll be fine.

I may be in the minority, but I'm happy about this. We've always enjoyed buffets, not for the amount of food but the variety. Tusker House is a great example of variety that was negatively impacted by going family style.

Same here. I love the buffets. Dining is the highlight of my vacation and we enjoy the WDW buffets. So glad to hear Boma has reopened as a buffet. Last October when we went we brought some light cotton gloves for the rides. We never ended up using them though. I'll probably just keep some gel on hand to use after I go up to the buffet each time.

I definitely agree with that. I have no issues if some people want to avoid buffets. Personally, touching a shared spoon is no more dangerous to me than any other part of life right now. To each their own.
Agree! We are touching things all the time that hundreds of people have touched in gas stations, grocery stores, public railings, buttons, door handles etc. Appreciate the CDC link you posted regarding surface transmission...further bolsters my confidence especially since I'm sure Disney will also be taking precautions and wiping things down and replacing serving utensils fairly regularly.

Last edited:
This is a good thing IMO. The CDC has said for months that the risk of surface transmission is generally very low. We should start acting like it. I’ll definitely be eating at Boma in October.
The low risk of surface transmission is the biggest point! By going to a buffet there's no more risk of getting sick than there has been in the past for as long as buffets have been a thing! You have the same amount of risk all the time and getting the flu or something from touching something someone else did

Happy happy news about Biergarten. For our original trip that had been my personal top dining location but I was only *meh* on the family-style selections.

Its only a matter of time. The lower amount of staff needed for a buffet makes them very profitable for Disney.

I am fine with it. I'm not really ready to go to a self-serve buffet right now, but when things calm down I'll be good. The risk of catching something at a buffet have always been overblown, and that is no different now.
How about standing in line close to people. Sounds risky to me.

So some of you are going to or have vacationed at Disney since the start of the pandemic? You have rode Disney public transportation, stood in line around other people, walked through shops with other people present, touched door handles? But the thought of a buffet terrifies some of you? A buffet at Disney is at the bottom of my list of things to worry about. If you are planning on going soon just be aware, there is no social distancing anymore at Disney. The buses are packed like the old days and July 2021 was as crowded or more crowded than any other time we have been.

So some of you are going to or have vacationed at Disney since the start of the pandemic? You have rode Disney public transportation, stood in line around other people, walked through shops with other people present, touched door handles? But the thought of a buffet terrifies some of you? A buffet at Disney is at the bottom of my list of things to worry about. If you are planning on going soon just be aware, there is no social distancing anymore at Disney. The buses are packed like the old days and July 2021 was as crowded or more crowded than any other time we have been.
Difference is at a buffet I am putting food directly into my mouth… which Covid positive people may have touched or breathed on. And not for nothing the CDC says specifically to avoid buffets. Do what you want but that is a very specific recommendation.

I’ve done Disney since Covid… 3 times… was there with the July mobs and I’ll be there again in November. Ate inside at a couple of restaurants even. But buffets? Not interested in random people touching or breathing on my food.
But here’s a thought… since you don’t mind, you do you! I’ll leave those ressies for others.

How about standing in line close to people. Sounds risky to me.

You mean like anywhere else in Walt Disney World? True, if you are not ok standing in close proximity to others, a buffet would not be for you at this time. But then again, most of the rest of WDW would not be for you at this time either.

Even further, the line at a buffet is FAR less dense than the lines for attractions.

So if the parks are going to be open with no social distancing requirements, the buffets are going to contribute very little to the overall risk.

To be clear, I prefer to eat outdoors myself at this time. I am just saying buffets are not much more risky than indoor dining in general. And since indoor dining is open with no distancing requirements, there is no real reason to keep buffets closed/altered.

And people are free to avoid buffets, just like I avoided family-style.
If enough people avoided buffets, there would be much less of them.

I changed our Oct vacation till early next year. Hoping Florida will be better shape by then. Our plan is to fly which I’m most worried about as far as Covid is concerned. Then we will spray down and air our rental car. We are staying at DVC property and will spray and air when we arrive. We are planning on making it a Disney lite vacation. Not taking buses or boats. Driving ourselves. Masking up regardless of policy. Spacing out as much as we can at meals. With that said we intend to have a great vacation, just doing less than we we normally do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter