Rumor about “modified experiences” when Disney reopens (read 1st post for potential modifications being considered)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just FYI, properly maintained pools are very unlikely to be a major issue as the chlorine will very easily destroy the virus. I know there is debate how long it can live on surfaces, so that may be an issue with chairs and areas around the pool. But the virus cannot transmit via chlorinated pool water.

I've got it!!! We all wear some type of suit that keeps us immersed in chlorinated water at all times.

You are welcome
:)

I think this list is reasonable top to bottom EXCEPT I do not see WDW opening only the 3 MK resorts and not all the DVC resorts to the DVC guests who are already booked. Maybe the MK resorts will only be open to cash guests but to only open the MK resorts and not the other DVC rooms would cause more of a ruckus with the DVC members.
DVC is the interesting thing in all this. They IMO have been slow to react to all of this too. They have to come up with a plan.

Disney will not open the parks without opening all the DVC resorts. The longer they are closed the bigger the lost points problem gets. If the DVC resorts are open no way they would only let locals in parks.
They may not have a choice. They could keep DVC closed and only open cash rooms for a time. We don’t know but everything is on the table.

I would need to see how it is executed and how reports of how it *feels* - I think there are ways to do a modified experience but still feel "Disney" but I agree, if it feels like just a regimented process to get to some rides I wouldn't plan a trip to go (if I was local I might still stop by to check it out though)
A near empty park is something that would really make me consider going. But I would have to be getting a really good deal on airfare and whatever package I would get. They would really have to find a way to entice me to get me to want to go with all the possible restrictions being talked about. Also in regards to the Magic not being there it would be limiting in that sense but Main Street is still gonna be there and to me that’s Disney Magic.

A near empty park is something that would really make me consider going. But I would have to be getting a really good deal on airfare and whatever package I would get. They would really have to find a way to entice me to get me to want to go with all the possible restrictions being talked about. Also in regards to the Magic not being there it would be limiting in that sense but Main Street is still gonna be there and to me that’s Disney Magic.
FINALLY! Someone who sounds like they're reading my mind. This is 100% how I feel about all of this. There is nothing like being inside of a Disney park.

So, forgive my denseness here, where/when do resort openings and programming fit into all of this? Maybe that's what you're referencing in other posts? Mostly interested in AKL...

THANKS!

I definitely feel a certain number of people will not plan a trip until things are more under control. I still think ticket sales would take care of how many people get into the parks. They can limit those. Eliminating international guests at first would help. But annual passes would also have to have a way to use those. They could suspend them for now, but more fairly giving annual pass holders certain days of the week would help...but Disney would have no way of knowing how many of those folks would come. I guess they could just let so many locals in on those days. It would be hard to do. Other ideas anyone?

That wouldn't work for out of state pass holders. I don't think Disney could expect annual pass holders to pay for a week at a resort and only be able to go in a few of the days.

Magic is a very subjective feel/mood. Only speaking for me the magic comes from the details the music, the smells, sitting in my favorite spot people watching, the cast members. I often get asked if the magic has died for me after being there all the time and the answer is no. But again it's subjective and personal
For me Magic is like when I go into Cedar Point and hear the screams of a coaster whizzing by.

FINALLY! Someone who sounds like they're reading my mind. This is 100% how I feel about all of this. There is nothing like being inside of a Disney park.

This is me, as well. After the last few bumpy months, I'd love to be in any park. Limited experiences or not, we're driving down from Tennessee as soon as they open.

Update April 17:
WDW Pro at the WDW Magic Forums has posted this list of rumored modifications that are being considered when WDW opens:
  • Magic Kingdom reopens with limited capacity, no theaters, no parades, no castle shows, no fireworks and sanitized ride vehicles after every guest exit.
  • Magic Kingdom resorts reopen with strict distancing guidelines in place.
  • Monorails would not operate.
  • Ferries and boat transportation would operate with distancing in place.
  • Health checks would be introduced at every security checkpoint. This would include temperature checks and Q&A (including locations you have traveled to in the past 14 days).
  • Guests will have to sign additional legal forms clearing Disney of liability for potential exposure to COVID-19.
  • EPCOT will remain closed if other parks are able to reopen prior to September.
  • Hollywood Studios reopens with limited capacity, no indoor theaters, no parades, no fireworks, and sanitized ride vehicles after every guest exit.
  • Animal Kingdom reopens with limited capacity, no indoor theaters, no parades, no Rivers of Light, and sanitized ride vehicles after every guest exit. Maharajah Jungle Trek would remain closed, and no close encounters with any animals at any place in the park will be permitted. Details about Animal Kingdom are still being developed.
  • Transportation guidelines are still being developed.
  • Dining guidelines are still being developed.
  • No character meet and greets.
  • No character dining.
  • Water parks will not reopen while Secure Circuit is in place.
  • DVC details are still being developed.
  • Sanitation stations will be available throughout the parks, as well as directions on the ground to keep guests moving in proper directions for limited pedestrian crossing.
  • It is likely, though not officially determined, that masks will be a requirement for adults.
  • Magic Bands mandatory for all guests, fingerprints temporarily on hold.
  • Non-MK resorts are unlikely to reopen until Phase 2 begins (Secure Circuit is for Phase 1).
  • Disney is currently evaluating every single ride and queue to determine how and if it can operate with strict distancing guidelines. This includes determining how to move people through the queue in a safe manner even if virtual queue is in place for that particular ride. For example, even just moving through the queue of Pirates exposes guests to whatever guests passed through the queue 20 seconds prior.
  • Chapek ultimately makes the call on when to reopen and how, once DeSantis gives the green light... so while the protocols for Secure Circuit have been developed, there may be changes from the top.
  • What's on and what's off for future construction is now largely on how much and when Disney receives US government money, as well as the realities of the economy on the other side of this situation. Expect Disney to NOT announce cancellations of projects in 2020, but also for some projects to simply sit with no announcement. Disney is likely to be very bearish in 2020 until we get Q4 economic data.

That's a huge list, but completely expected. None of it surprises me, and is definitely the right move. I also will not return to the park until it's back to normal.

I have a trip scheduled for late September. With each passing day, and every article read, I become less and less optimistic about our trip. I'm not a foodie, so we don't go for the food. I could care less about the parades. We go for the rides, the fireworks/laser shows, and the meet and greets. This trip is mainly aimed at SWGE. I'm 58 years old with no grandchildren on the horizon. Quite honestly, this will probably be my last trip to WDW. If they do any kind of "limited experience" re-opening that affects my trip, I'll most likely either reschedule for next year or cancel it altogether. For the amount of money Disney vacations cost, I want the full experience or nothing. I've already purchased my airfare. I'll eat the $200 change fee if that's what it takes.

I've seen reports from financial experts that expect significant closings of Disney properties through the end of June. What are your thoughts on the end of September being affected?

To update my earlier post, as soon as American Airlines offered a no fee change to tickets purchased before April 7th for travel through September 30th, I cancelled my September trip and moved it to the first week of March. I told my family the other day don't be surprised if it gets moved to September 2021. I'm not confident that Disney will be "completely" open by this September. I'm not even sure it will be a "full" Disney experience by March unless there's a vaccine found between now and then, which is highly unlikely. As I said previously, if I'm going to pay Disney prices, I want the full Disney experience.

If they do this, they better hope that the locals have enough money to keep the park going. I'm not traveling from OK for this experience but if I lived there, I'd deal with it.

This. I think they're going to have to survive on fairly local visitors. Not many people are going to travel any amount of distance for this. Especially not if they're going to continue to charge full price.

Every one is fixated on June 1st cause of the bookings. They can easily change that again. I look at them doing it as way to have some money coming in. They are a business after all.
They are a business that depends on the good will of their guests. If this was a bait and switch for them to have cash flow and it comes out that they never intended to open in June, they will lose a LOT of good will.

It's shady. It might be business, but it's a shady business.

Maybe for you but for me nothing beats going on 300 ft tall and going 95 mph. That's magic to me.
I love the coasters. But I will say every time I go by the end of the day they start to lose their thrill. Cedar Point has a great kinetic energy I will say. I really do love feeding the carp french fries though.

And to me wearing a mask and everyone else wearing a mask completely kills the vibe for me. I’m sure I’m in the minority on that, though.

You are not alone. I'd wear it, but I don't like it - at all. You can't see anyone smiling. Reminds me of looking at Google Street View of the parks with everyone's face blurred out.

As for looking online at Google 360 degree Street View of the parks - yes it has come to that. Found a nice relaxing vantage point on a walkway next to the lagoon in EPCOT now. It calms me..

Hopefully this link works: https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/disneyland-disney-world-google-street-view

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter