• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rude awakening on check-out day

Have you gotten a too-early knock or walk-in on checkout day?

• Yes

Votes: 94 44.1%
  • No

Votes: 119 55.9%

• Total voters
Why can't they just institute a check out policy. Make it so you can do it online or on the app or whatever if they want. Just have people actually checking out and give housekeeping access to that info. It really should not be that difficult.
Because lots of people wouldn't bother with checking out since they haven't needed to do it for years and years at WDW. However, in the past we have usually called Housekeeping from the room to let them know we were leaving and they could get the room ready to turn over to the next guest. We usually leave around 8:30 or so. We always thought it was just a nice courtesy we could do. If you need to stay later in the morning, just call Housekeeping the night before instead of the front desk. When you call the front desk from your room, you are getting a call center somewhere.

Just a few comments since I am late to this post. DVC has always stated that check in is AFTER 4PM, not AT 4PM, so you shouldn't be upset if your villa isn't ready right at 4PM. When we checked into the Grand Californian at DLR in about 2006, we arrived around 12:30PM. We went to check in, just like we always did at WDW and were told we could not check in until after 3PM, no exceptions. Finally, since DVC villas are always 95% occupied if not greater, there are no late check outs.

Because lots of people wouldn't bother with checking out since they haven't needed to do it for years and years at WDW. However, in the past we have usually called Housekeeping from the room to let them know we were leaving and they could get the room ready to turn over to the next guest. We usually leave around 8:30 or so. We always thought it was just a nice courtesy we could do. If you need to stay later in the morning, just call Housekeeping the night before instead of the front desk. When you call the front desk from your room, you are getting a call center somewhere.

Just a few comments since I am late to this post. DVC has always stated that check in is AFTER 4PM, not AT 4PM, so you shouldn't be upset if your villa isn't ready right at 4PM. When we checked into the Grand Californian at DLR in about 2006, we arrived around 12:30PM. We went to check in, just like we always did at WDW and were told we could not check in until after 3PM, no exceptions. Finally, since DVC villas are always 95% occupied if not greater, there are no late check outs.

People could adapt to a check out policy.
Plenty of hotels still have them so it's not like it's a completely foreign concept. Inform people when they check in (or when they get the notification their room is ready for online check in), send a courtesy email and text the day before check out, leave a message on the hotel phone reminding people to check out, have it posted on the inside of the door to remember to check out.

It's great that you call housekeeping and let them know you are leaving early. Sure, people could call and let them know they will be staying until 11, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are going to listen to that or the message is going to be relayed to the right housekeeper. It also shouldn't be necessary to have to tell someone that you are going to be in your room during the allotted time that you have paid for. No other hotel expects guests to call housekeeping to let them know they will be in their room until check out.

For the record, I always arrive to WDW late. I think the earliest I've arrived has been 8pm. I certainly don't expect my room any earlier than whenever check in is, nor have I ever needed one at Disney or elsewhere. Nor do I ask to check out late. Frankly, I would expect to pay extra if I wanted to check in early or check out late because I would be requesting additional time in the room than what I've paid for. I know that doesn't generally happen anywhere, but I firmly believe that people should not expect to have their room longer than the advertised hours. People should however expect to have that room for those posted hours and to not be disturbed by a housekeeper who doesn't know if the room is occupied because there's no check out policy or who just wants to hurry people along so she can get to work.

Why can't they just institute a check out policy. Make it so you can do it online or on the app or whatever if they want. Just have people actually checking out and give housekeeping access to that info. It really should not be that difficult.

That is what I was thinking...most people do online check in, so why not just add an extra question to that screen saying “what time will you departing on check-out day?” and having the very latest option being 11:00 AM (or maybe that is already on there and I am forgetting). We already have to provide that information for our departure flights if we plan on using Magical Express...they should just request that info from everyone.

But since so many people fly and use Magical Express, Disney already has that information for a big group of their guests. Why not just give each housekeeper a printout of the floor they are assigned with rooms listed from earliest to latest checkout time? Even a simple Excel spreadsheet can easily display this type of info. I imagine there would be a bit of zigzagging but the housekeeper would get a lot more done than if they just hang out by peoples’ doors trying to will them in to leaving lol.

I am sure I am oversimplifying it or maybe Disney already does things this way and I am just beating a dead horse. I do feel for the housekeepers because that is a tough job. But at the same time, I am on vacation and I just want to sleep, dagnabbit.

On my recent trip I had someone try to come in my room at 6:30 AM. Totally startled me. I was traveling alone and had just arrived the night before. Luckily I had the bar across, so they could not get all the way in, but the door was opened as wide as they were able. No knocking or warning.

I yelled. “Hello?” And they said they were from housekeeping and thought I had checked out. I replied that I had just arrived the previous evening and they did leave.

I called the front desk because it really did startle me and plus the desk had offered me a $20 gift card if I skipped housekeeping and I took it. Do they really start cleaning at 6:30?

Anyway, they claimed there was an error and I “had not been completely checked in,” whatever that means.

I guess I don’t know if this was an honest mistake or some kind of a room check, but I think 6:30 in the morning, while someone is sleeping, is not considerate.

Ask Disney.

Stayed BWV1br last week split stay with akv1br and had no early knocks either place. Used the room occupied sign and swing lock.

Frankly, I would expect to pay extra if I wanted to check in early
OMG, I can just imagine the furor!
or check out late because I would be requesting additional time in the room than what I've paid for.
Many hotels, including Disney, allow some rooms to check out as late as 1, no extra charge. Disney charges 50% of the room rate up to 3, 100% beyond that.

On my recent trip I had someone try to come in my room at 6:30 AM. Totally startled me. I was traveling alone and had just arrived the night before. Luckily I had the bar across, so they could not get all the way in, but the door was opened as wide as they were able. No knocking or warning.

I yelled. “Hello?” And they said they were from housekeeping and thought I had checked out. I replied that I had just arrived the previous evening and they did leave.

I called the front desk because it really did startle me and plus the desk had offered me a $20 gift card if I skipped housekeeping and I took it. Do they really start cleaning at 6:30?

Anyway, they claimed there was an error and I “had not been completely checked in,” whatever that means.

I guess I don’t know if this was an honest mistake or some kind of a room check, but I think 6:30 in the morning, while someone is sleeping, is not considerate.

I can’t imagine how startling this incident was to a person traveling alone. Whether it was an honest mistake or not, it was an entry without knocking that should absolutely not happen, not at 6:30 am or 8 am or even at 11 am.

The BS about not being completely checked in is the biggest cop out I have ever heard. Basic customer service=take responsibility when a screw up happens, don’t blame it on the check in process. They should have done a big mea culpa. Whoever came up with that lame excuse should be subjected to the same BS the next time they travel. Only make it 4 am instead of 6:30 am.

OMG, I can just imagine the furor!

Many hotels, including Disney, allow some rooms to check out as late as 1, no extra charge. Disney charges 50% of the room rate up to 3, 100% beyond that.

It's interesting that Disney charges for late check out but not early check in. I mean I guess I understand that if a room is available for early check in then it's not a big deal, but along the same line, there are going to be rooms that aren't cleaned until after noon or 1 or 2 or whatever. Obviously it couldn't be offered to everyone, but neither can early check in. I just find it strange to charge for extra time in the room on one end of the stay but not the other. I'm sure you're right that there would be an uproar if they did charge for early check in, but frankly, if someone is wanting longer access to a room then they should expect to pay more than someone who's only accessing it for the normal amount of time.

I can’t imagine how startling this incident was to a person traveling alone. Whether it was an honest mistake or not, it was an entry without knocking that should absolutely not happen, not at 6:30 am or 8 am or even at 11 am
I'm surprised anyone from housekeeping was even working that early.

I’m going to see how it goes in August. If I get harassed by constant intrusions and door knocking at inappropriate times, it will be my last stay. I can’t believe it’s come to this. I’ve never considered staying off site before. These new policy’s are upsetting so many. What is Disney thinking? Their first priority used to be to make sure guests were given the best experience they could. Disney hospitality was legendary. What is happening?

Under current Company leadership the most important consideration is boosting the stock price. This is what is driving all decisions. Disney is no longer concerned about their intellectual property, entertainment or guest experience. It's about boosting the stock price.

Bob Iger is at the end of his run with Disney. In fact he's past it. There is a whole level of top management that have bonuses tied to the profitability of the company. If the profits don't hit their projections those bonuses are in jeopardy. When Bob Iger retires most of those managers are going to be shuffled or replaced by the new park leadership. Everyone in top management is focused on cashing out at the expense of the guest and the company. They are taking advantage of Disney's reputation for excellence and failing to deliver. They won't be around when the consumers of everything Disney catch on that they are paying a premium price for an inferior product/experience and turn on the company. They will have landed safely with their golden parachutes.

For those of you that don't see it or don't want to admit it, please know that it's only going to get worse and it's going to get to the point where it will reach your level of unacceptability. Disney used to be a company that set the bar high for all others. Now it's a company that charges the maximum and delivers the minimum. That's what's best for the stock price and that's the entire focus of the company these days.

In my opinion that's what is happening.

~NM

Under current Company leadership the most important consideration is boosting the stock price. This is what is driving all decisions. Disney is no longer concerned about their intellectual property, entertainment or guest experience. It's about boosting the stock price.

Bob Iger is at the end of his run with Disney. In fact he's past it. There is a whole level of top management that have bonuses tied to the profitability of the company. If the profits don't hit their projections those bonuses are in jeopardy. When Bob Iger retires most of those managers are going to be shuffled or replaced by the new park leadership. Everyone in top management is focused on cashing out at the expense of the guest and the company. They are taking advantage of Disney's reputation for excellence and failing to deliver. They won't be around when the consumers of everything Disney catch on that they are paying a premium price for an inferior product/experience and turn on the company. They will have landed safely with their golden parachutes.

For those of you that don't see it or don't want to admit it, please know that it's only going to get worse and it's going to get to the point where it will reach your level of unacceptability. Disney used to be a company that set the bar high for all others. Now it's a company that charges the maximum and delivers the minimum. That's what's best for the stock price and that's the entire focus of the company these days.

In my opinion that's what is happening.

~NM
Makes me so sad. I am looking forward to my WL stay, and hope it lives up to my past stays there. Thinking about going over to the dark side next year maybe. Have to check with youngest dd, she’ll kill me if I go without her!
Too bad our dates don’t mesh this trip.

Makes me so sad. I am looking forward to my WL stay, and hope it lives up to my past stays there. Thinking about going over to the dark side next year maybe. Have to check with youngest dd, she’ll kill me if I go without her!
Too bad our dates don’t mesh this trip.

We have noticed that Universal has picked up where Disney has totally left the game in customer service. Talking to many team members there, there are a lot of former Disney cast members. When asked, they will tell you that they are so happy to be now working for Universal. While no where is perfect, there is less stress working at Universal.

Universal empowers their team members to be able to assist guests with good and bad situations. The front line team member can do a lot of things to remedy a bad situation and enhance a guest's experience. At Disney, you have to try to get a manager at the front desk or e-mail guest services and wait for the response. At the parks, get in the endless guest services line!

We are very happy staying at Universal resorts, visiting their parks, and dining in their restaurants. We do still visit the Disney parks and dine in the restaurants- in small doses.

I wish they would as well, and they could but I doubt they will. Disney has been data mining for years and with RFID bracelets they know where we go, what attractions we see, what we eat and buy, and use that data to squeeze every last dollar they can from guests. Not a stretch for them to know when we leave the resort on ME or by the front gate in a vehicle. Hey they do it when we drive on to levy their parking fees. But unless Disney can monetize the time a guest checks out, I don’t see it happening, guest good will notwithstanding.

We have noticed that Universal has picked up where Disney has totally left the game in customer service. Talking to many team members there, there are a lot of former Disney cast members. When asked, they will tell you that they are so happy to be now working for Universal. While no where is perfect, there is less stress working at Universal.

Universal empowers their team members to be able to assist guests with good and bad situations. The front line team member can do a lot of things to remedy a bad situation and enhance a guest's experience. At Disney, you have to try to get a manager at the front desk or e-mail guest services and wait for the response. At the parks, get in the endless guest services line!

We are very happy staying at Universal resorts, visiting their parks, and dining in their restaurants. We do still visit the Disney parks and dine in the restaurants- in small doses.

I would be willing to bet that when you call the front desk at universal resorts you don’t get to chat with an out of state staffer.

I had an interesting experience earlier this year. We had arrived at our resort, had done online checkin. We got there late morning if I remember correctly, didn't expect to get into our room. It was at BWV. However, we were out with our dd, up on Irlo Bronson, at about 3:00. I got a phone call from the area exchange. It was a young lady asking if I was checking out, that they needed to get into the room to get it cleaned, and were concerned that the RO sign had been on the door for the entire day. I told her that I hadn't even gotten into my room yet, that I was waiting for my room ready text. She asked if she was speaking to 'my name', and if I was at BWV. I told her that yes, but that today was my check in day. She was appalled, apologized, and hung up. Very strange. We returned to BWV about 4:15, room still not ready. I told the front desk of my phone call, saying that I wasn't angry, but somewhat surprised that I had arrived late morning, and others had their rooms yet 'my' room hadn't even been cleaned. I've had housekeeping knock on my door on checkout day, even with the hanger out. But, they waited until 9:00!

Have to agree. My dd worked at both UO and WDW, p/t at both. She was offered f/t at Disney, and took it. She wants to stay with Disney, and see where it takes her. But, she was really sad to have to give up her UO job. She loved working there, said that she felt much more supported by management there. But, sadly, the room for advancement just isn't the same at UO. So, she's at Disney, and loving her new spot, but still misses the attitudes at UO!

I would be willing to bet that when you call the front desk at universal resorts you don’t get to chat with an out of state staffer.

No- the front desk!

Have to agree. My dd worked at both UO and WDW, p/t at both. She was offered f/t at Disney, and took it. She wants to stay with Disney, and see where it takes her. But, she was really sad to have to give up her UO job. She loved working there, said that she felt much more supported by management there. But, sadly, the room for advancement just isn't the same at UO. So, she's at Disney, and loving her new spot, but still misses the attitudes at UO!

Yes- DS is doing DCP right now and he does love it, but he has friends who are TM's at UO and are happier there! But, my DS is determined to be the best CM he can be! He was so happy when a guest gave him a compliment at guest services! Congrats to your DD!!:cheer2: I wish only the best for her. There are many many great CM's at Disney!! It seems like from what DS says, it's the management that is, like you said, not supportive of the front line CM's. It's the upper management that put such crazy policies in effect like room checks, etc. Upper management just seems out of touch with the guests! We are more than numbers on a financial statement!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter