Rope Drop Strategy for MK?

khmoorefield

Earning My Ears
With all of the changes and recent crowd increases, what's the current best strategy for rope dropping Magic Kingdom? We'll drive and park, and I feel pretty confident for our Epcot and AK days (arrive about 50 minutes before park opens). But I'm not understanding the opening procedures for MK- is Main St still open an hour before park open? Are cast members still doing the slow walk back to 7DMT? If the MK parking lot opens about 50 minutes before park opens, we'd already be at least 10 minutes behind anyone who took Disney transportation. Any thoughts or recent experiences appreciated!

We took buses and were one of the first in MK on all 3 days, around 45 minutes before official opening. Main street is open and you are free to go wherever you want. We tended to go over to Splash Mountain since that seemed to have the longest waits later in the day. Seven Dwarfs is also a good choice.

You don't know how opening will go because Disney seems to be switching things up day by day depending upon expected crowds. They know attendance exactly because they have all the park reservations data!

I went there 2 days this week. On Monday, when I arrived at the gate at about 8:30AM many people were already in the park and there was a line for Seven Dwarves. All the attractions in the park seemed to be open. It was a busy day with long lines. I also saw more entertainment on this day.

On Wednesday, I got to the gate at 8:30AM, there seemed to be fewer people in front of me (on Main Street, around the castle, etc.) and no attractions other than Seven Dwarves were open. Peter Pan opened at 8:50, and the rest of the park at 9:00. It was a quieter day with fewer long lines during the course of the day.

You don't know how opening will go because Disney seems to be switching things up day by day depending upon expected crowds. They know attendance exactly because they have all the park reservations data!

I went there 2 days this week. On Monday, when I arrived at the gate at about 8:30AM many people were already in the park and there was a line for Seven Dwarves. All the attractions in the park seemed to be open. It was a busy day with long lines. I also saw more entertainment on this day.

On Wednesday, I got to the gate at 8:30AM, there seemed to be fewer people in front of me (on Main Street, around the castle, etc.) and no attractions other than Seven Dwarves were open. Peter Pan opened at 8:50, and the rest of the park at 9:00. It was a quieter day with fewer long lines during the course of the day.
From all the reports I've seen, I agree it seems like they're doing something a little different every day. We were going to start our trip at MK (Monday) and end it there (Friday), but I'm worried that both of those days will be a busier experience than if we went mid week. Maybe we'll start at AK and then MK on Tuesday. Definitely has to be our last park though, just hope the crowds won't be insane on Friday!

With all of the changes and recent crowd increases, what's the current best strategy for rope dropping Magic Kingdom? We'll drive and park, and I feel pretty confident for our Epcot and AK days (arrive about 50 minutes before park opens). But I'm not understanding the opening procedures for MK- is Main St still open an hour before park open? Are cast members still doing the slow walk back to 7DMT? If the MK parking lot opens about 50 minutes before park opens, we'd already be at least 10 minutes behind anyone who took Disney transportation. Any thoughts or recent experiences appreciated!
If you are driving you will be allowed to line up at the MK toll booth around 8am for a 9am opening. They open the parking lot around 8:15am, at that time you walk to temp check and bag check. Bag check opens before 8:30am. Then you hop on monorail, ferry or bus if available. The park is already open by the time you get there, all the Main street stores are open, and you can go straight to an attraction that might be already open or is waiting on 9am. 7DMT tends to open early depending on crowds
Buses don't start going to MK until about an hour before so they will arrive around the same time you get there. Contemporary walkway doesn't open until around 8:20. So yes arriving by car will put you slightly behind those guests but not by much
BTW I go to MK once a week and this has been the procedure since reopening, I've driven and been inside MK by 8:45am, I've also used the Poly walkway and been inside MK around 8:30am

If you are driving you will be allowed to line up at the MK toll booth around 8am for a 9am opening. They open the parking lot around 8:15am, at that time you walk to temp check and bag check. Bag check opens before 8:30am. Then you hop on monorail, ferry or bus if available. The park is already open by the time you get there, all the Main street stores are open, and you can go straight to an attraction that might be already open or is waiting on 9am. 7DMT tends to open early depending on crowds
Buses don't start going to MK until about an hour before so they will arrive around the same time you get there. Contemporary walkway doesn't open until around 8:20. So yes arriving by car will put you slightly behind those guests but not by much
BTW I go to MK once a week and this has been the procedure since reopening, I've driven and been inside MK by 8:45am, I've also used the Poly walkway and been inside MK around 8:30am

If we are staying off property, what is the best approach? Is there a place people have Uber drop them off to give them the best shot of getting to the park as early as possible?

If we are staying off property, what is the best approach? Is there a place people have Uber drop them off to give them the best shot of getting to the park as early as possible?
probably one of the most asked questions since reopening and this has been fully discussed in the just back AND the operational thread.
Uber drops you off at the TTC you then walk to the temp and bag check. Some people have had Uber drop them off on the side street by Contempo, this is not only dangerous but ilegal, but some people have done that and take the contempo walkway.
If you have a dining reservation at the Contempo your Uber driver will be allowed to drop you off inside

This is exactly what I'm looking for, thanks so much for the detailed info! We're going to do Contempo Cafe one morning and maybe Gasparilla Grill on the other MK day.

@yulilin3 Since you go to MK so often, would you recommend it on a Friday? I'm worried about recent crowd increases, I don't want it to be so crowded that I'm worried about social distancing the entire day (obviously in a positive light, more crowds means more things returning, but based on my own comfort level, some of the pictures/footage I've seen is just too many people close together). I just watched a live stream of AK on this past Friday, and IMO the crowds looked very manageable for my comfort level.

This is exactly what I'm looking for, thanks so much for the detailed info! We're going to do Contempo Cafe one morning and maybe Gasparilla Grill on the other MK day.

@yulilin3 Since you go to MK so often, would you recommend it on a Friday? I'm worried about recent crowd increases, I don't want it to be so crowded that I'm worried about social distancing the entire day (obviously in a positive light, more crowds means more things returning, but based on my own comfort level, some of the pictures/footage I've seen is just too many people close together). I just watched a live stream of AK on this past Friday, and IMO the crowds looked very manageable for my comfort level.
weekdays are better than weekends but I still stand by what I've been saying that
Rope drop
End of Day
Eat at off times
Awareness
are key. Even though the walkways look busier there are ways to get away from people when going from one place to the next. In Queues some people forget or don't care about the markers, I just remind them if they are getting to close and never had an issue
I was at DHS yesterday with friends that was their first time at SWGE, I arrived around 1:30pm and it was pretty busy, lines to get into stores and all, wait times were high, the queue for MMRR was awful. By 6pm it was all so quiet, the marketplace in Batuu was empty, we Mobile Ordered for DB7 around 5pm and only 2 other parties were inside the restaurant, lines in TSLand were below the 30 min mark

probably one of the most asked questions since reopening and this has been fully discussed in the just back AND the operational thread.
Uber drops you off at the TTC you then walk to the temp and bag check. Some people have had Uber drop them off on the side street by Contempo, this is not only dangerous but ilegal, but some people have done that and take the contempo walkway.
If you have a dining reservation at the Contempo your Uber driver will be allowed to drop you off inside
If I order from contempo cafe for breakfast will I be able to park at the contemporary and walk to MK? Or do an Uber and be dropped off? Had issues being able to park at beach club the other night even though we were ordering from beaches n cream.

1. If I order from contempo cafe for breakfast will I be able to park at the contemporary and walk to MK?
2. Or do an Uber and be dropped off?
1. Nope.
2. That can work.

Tom Bricker just did a post on his blog about a touring plan for MK. Had lots of great info about getting stuff done with minimal waits in a more crowded ( covid times) park.

Tom Bricker just did a post on his blog about a touring plan for MK. Had lots of great info about getting stuff done with minimal waits in a more crowded ( covid times) park.
Thanks! It was pretty helpful article, I couldn't tell if he was there on a Friday or Saturday (we're planning on Friday), but glad to see he thinks it's possible on on or near the weekend!

If I’m parking at TTC and end up taking a bus to MK do I need to fold up the stroller or can you have the stroller open with kids buckled in it? I can’t remember what their bus protocol is for strollers.

If I’m parking at TTC and end up taking a bus to MK do I need to fold up the stroller or can you have the stroller open with kids buckled in it? I can’t remember what their bus protocol is for strollers.

All MK buses require you to fold up the stroller when using them.

If I order from contempo cafe for breakfast will I be able to park at the contemporary and walk to MK? Or do an Uber and be dropped off? Had issues being able to park at beach club the other night even though we were ordering from beaches n cream.

Has anyone done this (Uber to Contemporary)? I know it's been confirmed you can mobile order at Boardwalk and get inside but I can't find anyone talking about ordering from Contempo. Really looking to avoid TTC and get into MK as early as possible.

And if the parking guard doesn't let you in, can't you just theoretically just get out and start walking to MK anyway?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter