Rooms at the Polynesian

Juliah

DIS Veteran
When we stay at the Polynesian, it's always in a room with a roll-in shower in the Rapa Nui building. For our upcoming trip, we couldn't get one of those rooms and got an accessible room with a tub instead. Does anyone know if the tub rooms are in a certain building? The reservationist didn't know.

Also, the automatic doors on the Rapa Nui are such a big help because we have two children in wheelchairs. Are there automatic doors on any of the other buildings?

Finally, I should have asked but didn't think about it...anyone happen to know if the tub rooms are all ground floor?

Thanks!

Juliah

I would guess that you'll still be in Rapa Nui. Our DD has CP and from the first year we decided she needed an accessible bathroom, that is where we were placed. In those days, we wanted a tub. She was too young to do the rollin shower on her own. For some years now, we have requested a rollin shower.

Anyway, I think all the buildings now have automatic doors at the entrances to the buildings themselves. The older buldings were retrofitted during the recent renovations. We've never had a room at the Polynesian with a door pad though. The two different accessible rooms we've had at the GF have had that wonderful amenity.

Also during our stay at the Polynesian last month, the building doors were locked at 6:00 pm in Rapa Nui. Just a heads up.

If you are in a wheelchair accessible room at the Polynesian, you will be in Rapa Nui. I have used both a tub and roll-in shower room. The whole building has accessible rooms, so not necessarily on the first floor, but elevators are rather quick to use.

I think all of the Poly's buildings have the automatic doors, but you should be in the Rapa Nui building.

Angela

Thanks to both of you--very useful info!

The thing about elevators for us is that we have two teen DDs who use power chairs; it's typically a real squeeze for them to fit in an elevator together.

Juliah

Originally posted by Juliah

...the automatic doors on the Rapa Nui are such a big help because we have two children in wheelchairs. Are there automatic doors on any of the other buildings?

Juliah

If anyone needing a pushbutton-operated entry door happens to end up in a room without one just ask the Manager of Guest Services at that resort to have engineering remove the hydraulic door-closing arm located inside the room at the top of the door. This will turn the self-closing door into a normal door that will not pinch your wheelchair or scooter as you are trying to enter or exit.

videogal1,

Thanks! I never thought about requesting that. It would be a big help.

Juliah

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter