• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ROFR Thread January to March 2019 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.

THANK YOU for bringing this forward! I had stopped reading the lawsuit thread long, long before page 81. The point made in the linked post is a surprisingly welcome change in recent events!

How do we link directly to a post in another forum here? Over in DVC member services on page 81 of the lawsuit thread they are talking about the new POS. It sounds like they may have backpedaled a *tiny* bit on the resale restrictions.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...20-reallocation.3726101/page-81#post-60260785

This is the post you are talking about? Some of us are contacting DVC to understand their interpretation of this section.

Interesting -- so the seller essentially refused to sign the final paperwork? that was something I hadn't considered. Is there nothing, absent suing for specific performance, that can be done? I guess I should have added choice of venue into the contract too. :rotfl2:
Most of the time, if the Seller doesn't sign the final paperwork, or if the Seller changes their mind, the Seller still has to pay the brokerage their Sales Commission.

In most Real Estate contracts, it doesn't specify that the sale must be complete, for the broker to get their money. It only specifies that the broker must produce a client who is, "Ready, willing and able," to purchase. If there is such a client trying to purchase and the seller backs out for any reason, then the broker still gets paid because they have done their part. If it were not so, then there are many people who would put property on the market, just to see what kind of price they got. And if they got a really good price, maybe they would sell, but if they only got an average price, then they would back out of the sale.

Provisions like these, about "Ready, willing and able," are to protect the broker from exactly that kind of problem. It doesn't usually require legal recourse on the part of the broker. The seller will already have signed contracts stipulating this. However, for you as a purchaser, you probably have little recourse, since a sale isn't done until it is done. At any time up until then, the seller can usually back out, UNLESS they already have OTHER contracts and agreements in place to force compliance, because, for instance, they previously signed a contract stipulating that they WOULD sell the property.

Yup that one :) thanks!
Wow!!! Well, that might certainly change some things for those of us who submitted contracts before the deadline, but lost our contracts to ROFR after the deadline. I resubmitted immediately, but perhaps our contract will be grandfathered in. Honestly, the Riviera doesn't seem to interest me, but it would be nice to have the option.

Most of the time, if the Seller doesn't sign the final paperwork, or if the Seller changes their mind, the Seller still has to pay the brokerage their Sales Commission.

In most Real Estate contracts, it doesn't specify that the sale must be complete, for the broker to get their money. It only specifies that the broker must produce a client who is, "Ready, willing and able," to purchase. If there is such a client trying to purchase and the seller backs out for any reason, then the broker still gets paid because they have done their part. If it were not so, then there are many people who would put property on the market, just to see what kind of price they got. And if they got a really good price, maybe they would sell, but if they only got an average price, then they would back out of the sale.

Provisions like these, about "Ready, willing and able," are to protect the broker from exactly that kind of problem. It doesn't usually require legal recourse on the part of the broker. The seller will already have signed contracts stipulating this. However, for you as a purchaser, you probably have little recourse, since a sale isn't done until it is done. At any time up until then, the seller can usually back out, UNLESS they already have OTHER contracts and agreements in place to force compliance, because, for instance, they previously signed a contract stipulating that they WOULD sell the property.

Yeah -- but the broker is in the same position as the buyer. Are they really going to sue the seller for two thousand dollars? In another state? Unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter