ROFR Thread Jan to March 2023 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's also not necessary to get the absolute very best deal, just a good one. The ROFR thread leads to a bit of a one-upsmanship vibe, and it's easy to get caught up in that.
Agreed - not so much that people are one-upping each other, but that i feel like i suddenly overpaid. then i remember that it was a small contract at the resort i wanted for a use year i wanted and that there is an unspoken value in that as well.

It's also not necessary to get the absolute very best deal, just a good one. The ROFR thread leads to a bit of a one-upsmanship vibe, and it's easy to get caught up in that.
Not looking to get the best or a good deal, just a fair one. It is not my responsibility to make someone whole just because they overpaid when they bought or just because last year their contract was worth $50 more per point.

There have been a lot of request’s lately about brokers, websites etc.

If someone asks, just post the website link and let the filter do its job. If it shows the ****, then everyone will know whether details beyond that can be shared.
Do you have the same expression as we have about "herding cats"?

This thread has really helped me keep my emotions under control and be more dispassionate about making resale offers, so thanks everyone! I've had 3 fall through now and am onto the 4th. I've got very specific parameters within which buying makes sense for us, so if it happens it happens and if it doesn't, we'll keep renting. Would just be nice to not have to worry about if we can get crescent lake when we want it. Fingers crossed that 4th time's the charm?

Agreed - not so much that people are one-upping each other, but that i feel like i suddenly overpaid. then i remember that it was a small contract at the resort i wanted for a use year i wanted and that there is an unspoken value in that as well.
I honestly felt a little disheartened when I saw all the amazing deals being posted recently here, I didn't get a bad deal and overall I'm content with what I got my resale contracts at compared to just a few months ago but even so part of me is just jealous of some of the ones that get posted here. It's easy for it to become almost toxic to be honest when you're in this thread for too long. I started reading this thread a lot less frequently and it's probably been good for my sanity and not getting caught up in current amazing deals because at the end of the day there's always going to be a better deal than yours.

I honestly felt a little disheartened when I saw all the amazing deals being posted recently here, I didn't get a bad deal and overall I'm content with what I got my resale contracts at compared to just a few months ago but even so part of me is just jealous of some of the ones that get posted here. It's easy for it to become almost toxic to be honest when you're in this thread for too long. I started reading this thread a lot less frequently and it's probably been good for my sanity and not getting caught up in current amazing deals because at the end of the day there's always going to be a better deal than yours.
but the definition of "better" varies by buyer. i've seen better BWV deals in terms of dollars per point, but a) i didn't need that many points and b) it wasn't the UY i wanted. each person has their own priority list, so it's not always better for everyone.

If we ever land a contract, I think I might force myself to just stop looking at this thread because otherwise I could see myself being disappointed in whatever I end up paying.

If we ever land a contract, I think I might force myself to just stop looking at this thread because otherwise I could see myself being disappointed in whatever I end up paying.

I was thinking that originally... but now I'm thinking that maybe I can add a smaller (25-50 points) contract later on.

I haven't even gotten through ROFR yet and I am already suffering from addonitis, lol.

Last edited:
but the definition of "better" varies by buyer. i've seen better BWV deals in terms of dollars per point, but a) i didn't need that many points and b) it wasn't the UY i wanted. each person has their own priority list, so it's not always better for everyone.
Oh i totally agree, better means different things for different people. I'm glad my AKV contract is only 125 despite having an incessant need for more points. It's still hard to stop comparing though.

It's really what the contract is worth to you.

I also am curious on where DVC says enough is enough and starts taking contracts at low prices. On one hand it's liability and cost on them but I have to imagine it's going to start hurting direct sales - although I'm guessing direct buyers are for the most part clueless about the resale market, so maybe it is disconnected.

It's important to keep in mind why you purchased in the first place: to enjoy your vacation in your happy place. So many families/individuals covet ever going to Disney and here we are being so incredibly fortunate on the Disboards.

The ROFR thread is minimally educational (but self-selecting and the data is skewed) with a giant helping of bravado and social reinforcement. Like any social media, it can result in upward social comparisons. Seeing the ROFR thread through this framework helps.

...and the ROFR thread doesn't mean a damn when you're having a blast on Space Mountain.

We are in the process of adding our fourth resale contract. I use this thread to get general trends with Disney’s ROFR; not necessarily looking at getting a better deal than other people. For us, it’s more about getting a fair deal and what works in our budget/needs.

One other thing about the ROFR thread is that it's representative of people that are fairly plugged in for information. If you were able to look at the market as a whole you would most likely find contracts are selling at higher prices than what they are here.

All joking aside, I believe if sellers are only getting what they perceive as "lowball" offers and nothing close to their inflated asking prices reality may begin to sink in that their contracts are not worth nearly as much as they think. I feel offering lowball offers do help to get the prices that are accepted to drop.
Or, as in our case, it just convinces owners that were considering selling that don't necessarily have to to just hold on to their contracts and not list them and just continue to use or rent out the points...

I am in the process of purchasing our first DVC contract. Needless to say, I’m doing quite a bit of research. I contacted a resale broker with some questions and possibly submitting an offer. I was told by the broker “Most Sellers are willing to negotiate 5-7% off listing price. Even in this market, the most I have seen is 10% off listing.” Identical contracts at the Poly range from $158 pp to $180 pp. This thread has been very helpful and seems to contradict what I was told by the broker.

I understand how you feel. But I just remind myself I’m looking for a certain uy and # of points and not just looking for the best deal but what I am okay paying. If anything, this thread just keeps fueling my addonitis and I did step away for a bit. I came back for a day and of course bid on yet another contract for points I don’t necessarily need. It’s definitely helpful though to see what would be the appropriate range currently to bid. And most people are truly excited for others when they get their contracts waived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter