Road Trip help I10/I8 San Antonio-DLR

pixiepower1971

DIS Veteran
I posted this on the Community board and then I found this one! I thought I might generate more responses here!

We are starting to plan a road trip to DLR. We would like some input from others on what roadside attractions/fun stuff is along the route.

We have 2 options:

a) Travel on I-10 from San Antonio, TX, thru NM,AZ and into CA to DLR

b) Travel on I-10 thru NM into AZ, get on I-8 into CA to hit SW in SD, then north to DLR.

We could go there and back on one of these routes or there on one then back on the other. That is the option we are leaning towards.

Does anyone know of any fun things that are along the way?

Family includes me(DW)35, DH35, DD10,DD8.
TIA!

From someone who once drove I-10 from SoCal to WDW, I would never do it again. It was so long across Texas and there was nothing worth seeing, except the Alamo in San Antonio. On our way back, we went north from Jackson, MS and picked up I-40. That was more interesting.

I drove from Central California to the Houston area and back last summer, and let me warn you, its a long drive. My trip was 27 hours, yours will probably be more like 20, which is better but still a long time (especially for the kids).

We stopped in San Antonio, and then pretty much went through to LA (stopping for food and a night in NM to sleep). There wasn't much to do off the 10 (granted we did have a time crunch, so we weren't looking that hard). Mostly just a lot of desert and small towns.

If you do decide to road trip, I would try to figure out hotels before you get started, we had a lot of trouble finding hotels between the major cities, and a lot of those hotels were charging a premium (because they could).

Don't get me wrong, its a lovely drive and I enjoyed it, its just awfully long and activity options along the way were limited.

I have never driven past AZ from CA, so I can't tell much East of Phoenix. For AZ and CA, if you have the time, goto Grand Canyon, it is well worthed. I think the south rim is 5 or 6 hours north of Phoenix from I-10, could be shorter. I took the train from William, so it may be longer than driving.

You can also go to Palm Springs for a night, IMHO, it does not have too much for kids. But worthed seeing. It has tons of golf course and spa and it got some of the nicest restaurants. :laughing:

How about Carlsbad Caverns in NM? We went there when I was a kid traveling from Ca. to Ok, and I really liked it! I think one of these times that we make the trip to DLR we may just take I-10 and let the kids see it! And if you have the time after Carlsbad... take I-17 or I-25 up to I-40 and stop at the Grand Canyon too!! It amazing!!!! It is a long trip,but if you stop a couple of times for the touristy things,it makes it more interesting and breaks up the trip a little!!:hippie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter