Rivers of Light Dessert Party - Begins 8/11/18

If they would add an after hours ride on Pandora with little to no wait I would book in a heart beat, but as the party currently is there is no way I would spend $250 for my family of three to get some desserts when I could get a full dinner at Tusker House and seating to the show for less.

I’ve read some blog reviews but didn’t post links here after the oh-so-warm reception the concept recieved above. But, in case helpful:

BlogMickey: http://blogmickey.com/2018/08/review-rivers-of-light-dessert-party-at-disneys-animal-kingdom/

WDWNT: https://wdwnt.com/2018/08/review-ne...at-animal-kingdom-is-walt-disney-worlds-best/

With the exception of no seating for the dessert portion, I am excited about this and have a reservation in October. My concern with seating is with my kids. Hopped up on sugar from all the deserts, I am not sure I can keep them under control.

But the party sounds awesome otherwise...

If they would add an after hours ride on Pandora with little to no wait I would book in a heart beat, but as the party currently is there is no way I would spend $250 for my family of three to get some desserts when I could get a full dinner at Tusker House and seating to the show for less.

I have to agree. The blog posts make the party look wonderful, but for less, I can get a three course meal at Tiffins with the ROL package.

I have to agree. The blog posts make the party look wonderful, but for less, I can get a three course meal at Tiffins with the ROL package.

While excellent Tiffins is time consuming. I can see how someone might have time for a dessert party but not a meal at Tiffins and therefore chose the party instead.

While excellent Tiffins is time consuming. I can see how someone might have time for a dessert party but not a meal at Tiffins and therefore chose the party instead.
I can also see how if someone has seen ROL multiple times, and has done a dining package previously that this would be a "new" experience. There are a lot of people who go to WDW frequently enough that they would be looking for a new experience and a new way to enjoy a WDW show.

I do like ROL and have seen it a few times, including a dining package. When I first saw this party advertised I admit I thought it would be a huge waste of money. After seeing some of the positive reviews yesterday I can now see how this party could fit need for a new experience. I enjoy dessert parties and I don't know if I would consider this one at some point, but the reviews have caused me to take a second look at it. I'll be there next month but I don't have this party planned.

I’ve read some blog reviews but didn’t post links here after the oh-so-warm reception the concept recieved above. But, in case helpful:

BlogMickey: http://blogmickey.com/2018/08/review-rivers-of-light-dessert-party-at-disneys-animal-kingdom/

WDWNT: https://wdwnt.com/2018/08/review-ne...at-animal-kingdom-is-walt-disney-worlds-best/

Thank you! I think we'll be saving this dessert party until our summer 2019 vacation as I can't seem to chose it over JBJB dessert party (even that ever becomes an option!) - but I am intrigued by this one and will try it in the future. Hopefully the reviews continue positive!

I am seriously consider doing this party for research purposes :)

DO IT! :-)

Yes, throw in a FP for FOP or something! These parties are becoming more and more, I just can't keep throwing them on the already expensive price tag of our vacation unless they truly do add something to our day to make it worth the $$. But to tack on an extra $200 per day for some desserts isn't in my budget. lol

Yes, throw in a FP for FOP or something! These parties are becoming more and more, I just can't keep throwing them on the already expensive price tag of our vacation unless they truly do add something to our day to make it worth the $$. But to tack on an extra $200 per day for some desserts isn't in my budget. lol
If they would add a FOP/ROL dessert party I can see the price of that being higher than the current parties. I know Epcot has the Illuminations/FEA party, but FOP is a much higher in-demand ride and the ride itself is SO much better than FEA. If they added a party for FOP/ROL at the current prices I would DEFINITELY jump on that one! We stay offsite quite a bit so we have some extra cash for different experiences and I would certainly budget it toward a FOP/ROL party.

I've been looking closely at this very issue because I booked the party (9/6), but am unable to stand in one place for long periods of time due to back issues. From everything I've seen, there are not chairs available in the desert party area. They have those small high top tables. But, it looks like Desert Party guests have reserved seating on the stone benches so you would be able to go sit down there.

That's too bad there are no seats for this party. We really like the Illuminations party as the seating is fantastic!

I hear there are tables now at the Star Wars party, that was one of our complaints about the party was the seating.

I hear there are tables now at the Star Wars party, that was one of our complaints about the party was the seating.
Seating was just one of the changes recently made to the SW party and you're right, it was the most often heard complaint.
Yes, throw in a FP for FOP or something!
They surely know that they're in competition with the other parties, so I'm surprised they didn't attempt to go one better.

The SW party has seating, a dedicated character M&G, character walk throughs, a souvenir and a very good savory table. The FEA Illuminations party includes a FEA FP and the JBJB dessert party offers a character M&G and a souvenir.

Being completely objective, I can't agree with WDWNT's conclusion that the RoL party is now the best party on property. I just don't see it.

Having said that, it's brand new and is being managed by an inexperienced event team. I'd give them time to make adjustments and to possibly enhance the experience. If not, I'd opt for one of the four other parties.

Seating was just one of the changes recently made to the SW party and you're right, it was the most often heard complaint.
They surely know that they're in competition with the other parties, so I'm surprised they didn't attempt to go one better.

The SW party has seating, a dedicated character M&G, character walk throughs, a souvenir and a very good savory table. The FEA Illuminations party includes a FEA FP and the JBJB dessert party offers a character M&G and a souvenir.

Being completely objective, I can't agree with WDWNT's conclusion that the RoL party is now the best party on property. I just don't see it.

Having said that, it's brand new and is being managed by an inexperienced event team. I'd give them time to make adjustments and to possibly enhance the experience. If not, I'd opt for one of the four other parties.

I ultimately decided to book this party because it seems as though WDWNT's conclusion was that it was the best in terms of dessert offerings, and the view looks great. I ended up booking it for our arrival night because it seems to offer a calm, pleasant experience that would be enjoyable after a long day of travel, and I switched our SW dessert party to our second night, when I think we can enjoy it more fully.

Honestly, I'll be the first to admit that I'm a sucker, and objectively the RoL dessert party does offer a lot less than the FEA and SW dessert parties. That said, it's 10 dollars more than the Plaza Garden Viewing party in Magic Kingdom, but it offers alcohol. It's a smaller selection of desserts, but they look to be significantly higher quality.

It would be awesome if they added something to buff it up more (a ride, a souvenir, a larger selection of savory items), but I feel pretty confident that my mom and I will enjoy this event (her even more, because she didn't pay for it and won't know what it cost). As far as rides go, I think FOP is unlikely for reasons others have stated, but I feel like an after-park-close ride on Expedition Everest would be incredibly well-received, as I've heard it's super cool to ride at night.

I don't see it either. You seriously cannot beat the offers at the sw one. The desserts at this one look beautiful but it's outside, with no seats, no gift at the end and almost no savory items, I mean how many cubes of cheese can you eat?
Still planning on doing it soon :D

Still planning on doing it soon :D
Taking one for the team, huh? :thumbsup2 :rotfl:

I've only done the HEA party once and Star Wars dessert party twice and I far prefer the Star Wars party. I like the whole vibe of it; the mood lighting, the Stormtroopers, the foods ( I'm gluten-free so I get a special goodie bag but I appreciate the savory items that I can eat also), the proximity to the characters during the party, (although I still miss the Jawas! :sad1:), the souvenirs.

I wasn't as impressed by the HEA party even though the viewing area is great. There are A LOT of sweet things to eat, no alcohol, the lighting is harsh in the restaurant and the party part doesn't feel special or unique as the SW party. Although those chocolate covered strawberries are delicious!

In looking at the pictures and reviews of the ROL party, it gives me the idea that it may have a pretty good overall vibe. I am one who does like ROL and I appreciate the Zen-like quality of the show and I love AK as a park in general. I'm thinking that sitting outside in that desert party area with the lights dim and watching the preshow with the animals walking across the tree line and the lotus floating into position might be cool. Some of those desserts looked very impressive and I hope they keep a lot of that detail as the parties go on. I would like to see more offerings, especially savory foods and I'm interested in seeing what the gf foods will be.

Oh jeeze! Am i talking myself into it!?! :rolleyes:

Decisions...decisions...ROL Dining Package at Tiffins (which we love) or ROL dessert party? I was also surprised at the new Festival of the Lion King Dining Packages...anyone try that yet?

Taking one for the team, huh? :thumbsup2 :rotfl:

I've only done the HEA party once and Star Wars dessert party twice and I far prefer the Star Wars party. I like the whole vibe of it; the mood lighting, the Stormtroopers, the foods ( I'm gluten-free so I get a special goodie bag but I appreciate the savory items that I can eat also), the proximity to the characters during the party, (although I still miss the Jawas! :sad1:), the souvenirs.

I wasn't as impressed by the HEA party even though the viewing area is great. There are A LOT of sweet things to eat, no alcohol, the lighting is harsh in the restaurant and the party part doesn't feel special or unique as the SW party. Although those chocolate covered strawberries are delicious!

In looking at the pictures and reviews of the ROL party, it gives me the idea that it may have a pretty good overall vibe. I am one who does like ROL and I appreciate the Zen-like quality of the show and I love AK as a park in general. I'm thinking that sitting outside in that desert party area with the lights dim and watching the preshow with the animals walking across the tree line and the lotus floating into position might be cool. Some of those desserts looked very impressive and I hope they keep a lot of that detail as the parties go on. I would like to see more offerings, especially savory foods and I'm interested in seeing what the gf foods will be.

Oh jeeze! Am i talking myself into it!?! :rolleyes:

I'm seriously considering taking one for the gluten-free team and going during my upcoming trip, but I'd like to use a Disney gift card to pay for it and can't seem to do so on the website. Can I call and use the gift card?

I'm seriously considering taking one for the gluten-free team and going during my upcoming trip, but I'd like to use a Disney gift card to pay for it and can't seem to do so on the website. Can I call and use the gift card?

Yes, I've paid on the phone with a gift card. I believe they only will take one, so combine any if you have them into one card.
There is no option to pay online with the gift card, but they were happy to help me on the phone.

I'm very interested in hearing your gf experience!

Yes, I've paid on the phone with a gift card. I believe they only will take one, so combine any if you have them into one card.
There is no option to pay online with the gift card, but they were happy to help me on the phone.

I'm very interested in hearing your gf experience!

Thank you!

And will be sure to report back!

I have booked HEA party, JBJB party and the FEA party. I cannot bring myself to pay the price for this ROL party. No seats and no tier 1 ride is a no go for me. If they add seats and FOP I'll be purchasing, but until then I'll skip this one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter