• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rise of the Resistance ride - question about the drop

You might consider not telling him about it. I know some may not agree with me and of course you know what's best, but as many have said here, it's 1) very quick, 2) it's immersive/part of the story rather than a "drop" for its own sake, and 3) you don't even know it's coming unless you've watched a ride-through or read about it. He won't process that it was a "drop" until it's over. Often the fear of stuff like this is from the anticipation, not the actual event.

It's a thrilling little drop as your escape pod launches off a star-destroyer. It's really, really cool, and he may not even notice it happens because again, it's the equivalent of being pulled left when your vehicle turns right, getting pulled right when you turn left, and so in a similar vein, you're just getting pulled up when your escape pod launches downward. Good luck, let us know how it goes!

So, while I hate drops and I can’t enjoy pirates until the first two drops are over I will say I do feel like arise is like the first drop off pirates, but unless you know about it you don’t see it coming as if I recall it basically isn’t front drop. You don’t see it coming.

I don’t like any drops so I don’t ride it unless my kids want too. Lol and can’t enjoy because I don’t do drops.

My kid you hates pirates enjoys this ride. He likes it because of the theme and he doesn’t concentrate on the drop.

It’s hard to say, but if he doesn’t know about it don’t tell him and see how it goes? Logically it isn’t a big drop, so if he’s into the theme he might not notice or care if he’s really excited.

First of all, WHAT DROP on Indiana Jones? There is no drop on that ride.

The RotR drop is 12 feet.

It feels very similar to the Jumpin Jellyfish ride at DCA. It's SUPER mild. I would just not tell him about it. The drop is part of a flight simulator sequence so he won't "see it coming" and by the time he realizes it happened it will be over. Just play dumb on this one.

I disagree... you know there is a drop, just tell him and let him make up his own mind. We took our newly 7 yo and after riding Rise he wanted to go home, not just back to the hotel but actually HOME he was so scared and upset from the ride intensity of experience. So you know your kid best but I would not intentionally lie to them.

My wife does not like drops, but ROR is now one of her favorite rides, the drop is not very intense

I don't do drops. I hate the drop on Pirates. I won't ride Guardians or Splash or anything else with a drop. I love Rise! He will be totally fine- before you get to scream it's over. I just hold on tight and push my butt into the seat. It's worth it!

I was very nervous when I first rode ROTR because of this drop. Like I cannot get up the courage to go on Guardians. I hate up and down drops. BUT..... it was FUN! I actually enjoyed the drop and laughed out loud. It is over SO quickly and the entire ride is so incredible it just fits in perfectly.

Is your son okay with watching a ride through video of Rise? Then he can decide whether he wants to try it or skip it this time.
DH doesn't like drops (one and DONE on TOT), but he really likes Rise. He said that knowing it only happens once on that ride really helped.
I totally second this suggestion. I am a ride coward as well and have been crazily searching out ride videos for the new Guardians ride. It makes a huge difference if you know what is coming ahead of time. This one might be helpful

First of all, WHAT DROP on Indiana Jones? There is no drop on that ride.

The RotR drop is 12 feet.

It feels very similar to the Jumpin Jellyfish ride at DCA. It's SUPER mild. I would just not tell him about it. The drop is part of a flight simulator sequence so he won't "see it coming" and by the time he realizes it happened it will be over. Just play dumb on this one.
Totally agree. If you tell him ahead of time, you will probably create way more anxiety than what he will feel in the moment.

My mom is one who will not do drop rides. I have dragged her through the queue at Guardians so she could see it, but let her chicken exit. She loves ROTR - I was nervous the first time before riding since I knew about the drop, but she loved it from day 1. Barely notices the drop. She even knew there was one and still wanted to ride and said she barely even noticed it.

I find the drop more surprising than it is intense, IMO. Especially when you ride it and don’t know it’s coming. My first time, it was a complete surprise, so it was a big WHOA because we were so immersed in the ride and the universe and didn’t expect it.. But the actual drop itself is not that big or intense.

We just got back from our trip! I was scared of drops on rides as a kid, and my parents would never tell me if a ride would have one. I hated that. It made me nervous about going on ANY ride if I didn't know what happens on it. Then after the trip I was PISSED (and scared). I promised myself I would NEVER do that to my kid (only 1 of 3 kids is scared of drops like myself). My husband didn't want me to tell my kid about any of the drops, and let him 'experience' it and then react. I know my kid. I know what he is capable of. He can barely handle the dark Fantasyland rides. Since I didn't know for sure what the drop/intensity would feel like, I just compared it to one the Universal Studios simulator rides and said there might be a small drop like the one in Pirates. He's not a Star Wars fan (gasp, shocking!), but the rest of my family is. He was ok the whole ride, and just thought it was a little boring LOL. I loved it! If the line was super long, I would have loved to ride it again. The drop was indeed a HUGE surprise since you don't see that coming at all. Now I know to expect it, but I know I can handle it. Thanks everyone for your replies - much appreciated!

I would tell him and if he decides to ride, warn him when it's about to happen. That way he won’t worry about the it the whole rest of the ride.

With DD I always try to be as honest as possible with this kind of stuff so she believes me if I say it will be ok.

I must be more sensitive to drops than I thought, because the ROR one is intense for me. That is interesting since almost everyone feels opposite.

I love the ride, but always feel panic in my chest while the drop is happening. While not as high as GotG, it still feels significant. I'm fine with PotC because that one is more of a decline rather than a sharp drop out from under you. It's hard to know whether a younger child would enjoy or be okay with that. You could warn him that there is a drop and then see how it goes. If he is bothered by it, the drop is at the end so he is able to get off and not feel trapped for long.

If he has trouble with the drop in POTC, I'd skip Rise of the Resistance for now. The drop is more intense or maybe just feels more intense than POTC.

For the record, I am a total ride coward, but I enjoyed Rise of the Resistance. I also understand that everyone's ride tolerance is different.

I have to say I agree with this, but you know your kid best. It’s ONE tiny part of a LONG amazing ride! My 11 year old hates a roller coasters, drop rides, also hates the drop on POTC and did ok on Rise! He knew it was coming and loves Star Wars so he was cool with it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter