Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 1 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-4*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing along at home, I couldn't get the button to light up until they were on backup groups about a minute in.

And backup groups were gone by 8:03.

Not surprising with the holiday.

Tomorrow will be very interesting.

Boarding groups 80 and above are backup today.
Same thing happened to me. I couldn't get in until I restarted the app and by then they were already on backup groups.

I played along at home too. My app immediately lit up red and I was able to click through to the page selecting my group. Then, got the message that boarding groups were gone for the day. Got the first message at 8:00:20 (I had a stopwatch going on my tablet next to me). Backed out and tried a few more times, each time was able to click on Join a Boarding group just fine. Unlike yesterday in the park. I was on my home wifi (I get NO cell signal in my home).

Gonna try again tomorrow with my kids. I think I want to try scanning in early enough to go hang at Starbucks near WOD. Use the wifi there. Seems the best option.

I'm more curious to see when they start calling boarding groups. That will tell us more about how the overnight went.
I'm still of the opinion that 1-11 and the late starts are reserved for those VIPs and others. No reports of folk exiting the ride during that time so brings me to think they are brought in the back way like those being evacuated ---just in reverse.

Wow!! Didn’t get a group today (it’s OK because I rode earlier this weekend).

At 8am I couldn’t get the Join button to turn red. Restarting app caused the button to turn red. Clicked it. Got the Backup BG notification. Made my party and got the dreaded “something went wrong”. Tried again but “something went wrong”. Third time “something went wrong” And then BGs and backups were full!!

For comparison, earlier this weekend the button turned right away and I got a BG without any issues.

For the curious: I’ve got an iPhone XS with AT&T. And both days I was standing at the entrance to Frontierland.

I’m a fan of the BG process because I think it’s the best solution under the circumstances. Obviously it is disappointing to someone to not get a BG, but I can see how the tech issues add an extra level of frustration that could sour the experience more than it otherwise would.

I mean, effectively I had zero chance this AM because “something went wrong”. For me it’s OK because I’ll just go about my day as usual, but for anyone coming just for this ride who won’t be able to visit again soon, I would definitely advise holding off until things settle down.

Curious how tomorrow will go once the weekend is over. I’ll probably try again next weekend.

Very happy for those who did get a BG! Enjoy!!

I was in twice this morning from home before backups. Thankfully it recognized my tickets this time. Backed out after select group page
Yeah, getting used to the process with daily exercises. Helped out again this AM and needed two additional clicks with party not in park (intentional) - resulted in BG58. Seconds matter at this time.

We'll be there with you next weekend but still off-site since VGC not coming through :(

I'm still of the opinion that 1-11 and the late starts are reserved for those VIPs and others. No reports of folk exiting the ride during that time so brings me to think they are brought in the back way like those being evacuated ---just in reverse.
Maybe there are super secret celebrity VIPs that are being given a ride in the morning, but I saw two different regular VIP groups on main street this morning trying for a boarding group same way as everyone else.

So if those early boarding groups are being reserved for someone, it’s not VIP tours.

Yeah, getting used to the process with daily exercises. Helped out again this AM and needed two additional clicks with party not in park (intentional) - resulted in BG58. Seconds matter at this time.

We'll be there with you next weekend but still off-site since VGC not coming through :(
Congrats on at least getting a regular boarding group! Hopefully we will both be lucky exit weekend. All my ticketed people will be with me so hopefully no extra clicks.

If I had to guess, 1-11 are held for "guest recovery" purposes. Guest Relations at City Hall has the ability to give out BG for people who provide a compelling sob story. A FB AP group I belong to has members who have already posted their stories of "pixie dust." I've seen 2 such stories already. I also happen to believe these groups can return at ANY time during the day, not just at the beginning.

Wow!! Didn’t get a group today (it’s OK because I rode earlier this weekend).

At 8am I couldn’t get the Join button to turn red. Restarting app caused the button to turn red. Clicked it. Got the Backup BG notification. Made my party and got the dreaded “something went wrong”. Tried again but “something went wrong”. Third time “something And then BGs and backups were full!!

For comparison, earlier this weekend the button turned right away and I got a BG without any issues.

For the curious: I’ve got an iPhone XS with AT&T. And both days I was standing at the entrance to Frontierland.

I’m a fan of the BG process because I think it’s the best solution under the circumstances. Obviously it is disappointing to someone to not get a BG, but I can see how the tech issues add an extra level of frustration that could sour the experience more than it otherwise would.

I mean, effectively I had zero chance this AM because “something went wrong”. For me it’s OK because I’ll just go about my day as usual, but for anyone coming just for this ride who won’t be able to visit again soon, I would definitely advise holding off until things settle down.

Curious how tomorrow will go once the weekend is over. I’ll probably try again next weekend.

Very happy for those who did get a BG! Enjoy!!
This is the challenge of BG going in 1 minute. My hope is with lower crowds AND increased capacity after week 1 of shakedown; the time will increase to a reasonable 5-10minutes for regular. Then it gives a fighting chance despite tech glitches on the app.

If not and stays the gone in 60 sec mode - I would advocate for a simple virtual lottery to further reduce crowds and improve planning experience until capacity increase to the 5minute time.

You have three day tickets with a MM, right? If you’re willing to kill your MM to ensure you have a chance to ride, I’d go right to a Buzz FP machine and wait there for an hour, so you’re the first person to pull a physical BG.

Obviously that’s a massive “waste” of your MM, but if your trip was for ROTR, it’s probably worth it to you?
This is a very, very good idea, for those who have the opportunity.

This is the challenge of BG going in 1 minute. My hope is with lower crowds AND increased capacity after week 1 of shakedown; the time will increase to a reasonable 5-10minutes for regular. Then it gives a fighting chance despite tech glitches on the app.

If not and stays the gone in 60 sec mode - I would advocate for a simple virtual lottery to further reduce crowds and improve planning experience until capacity increase to the 5minute time.

I don't know why they didn't just do this from the beginning. Have an option on the app to "click for your chance to be entered into the boarding group lottery" once you scan into the park. Have it be a popup notification. Then, people who are interested can do that, and once the park opens, you get another popup letting you know if you "won" or not. It seems that would be a much smaller burden on their system and will allow for people to truly have a fair shot. Provide kiosks in the entrance plaza for people without the app.

I guess the thing that bothers me at the moment is that there are multiple ways to get to a boarding pass button, and they are inconsistent as to when they go active. Some people have to back out of the app. Some people don't. For some people pulling down on the my status page seems to work (didn't for me). For others going back and forth between status and find out more seems to work (didn't for me). Opening the app after the appropriate time seems to work for most, but costs precious seconds. I have no problem with the system...but the user interface bothers me a little.

I don't know why they didn't just do this from the beginning. Have an option on the app to "click for your chance to be entered into the boarding group lottery" once you scan into the park. Have it be a popup notification. Then, people who are interested can do that, and once the park opens, you get another popup letting you know if you "won" or not. It seems that would be a much smaller burden on their system and will allow for people to truly have a fair shot.
This is also a very good idea for anyone at TPO who may come across this thread.

They clearly just lazily repurposed the Maxpass code for this, your idea would force them to do some actual programming, but it is a much better idea.

This is a very, very good idea, for those who have the opportunity.
Am I correct in assuming that this is the old school "put one ticket in, BG pops out, put another ticket in, BG pops out, rinse and repeat" type kiosk? And if so, does it keep subsequent tickets in the same boarding group? My one concern here would be that the first ticket gets BG 17, second ticket gets BG 28, third ticket gets BG 76, and fourth ticket gets 118. I have to believe that Disney had the foresight to prevent such a scenario...but...not sure what magic they use to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter