Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 1 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-4*

Status
Not open for further replies.
We waited 50 minutes for Smuggler's Run....and that ride is worth it. When we went to DW... We waited for an hour before AK closed in rain waiting for that Avatar ride. It was worth it.

No need for spoilers.....but is this ride even worth it?
YES. We rode it yesterday without the kids and were so impressed that we got up at 5 am again today so we could take them. After riding, my kids declared that Rise is their favorite ride at DL, hands down. Both times we’ve ridden, our fellow passengers were cheering at the end!

I agree that the early-morning wake-up, BG booking stress and downtime were not fun. We spent one hour sitting on the ground in the queue yesterday and 2.5 hrs roaming around trying to stay awake this afternoon, waiting for our BG to be called while the ride kept breaking down. But even after all that, it was worth it for my family.

To be fair, though, we had BG’s 20 and 31, respectively. We wouldn’t have had the stamina to wait until this evening, and I applaud those who have managed to do so despite a very early start.

Imagine if Disney had gotten this ride working before debuting it. They only hace dozens upon dozens of other attractions to keep guests occupied in the meantime. It’s not like they were gonna die because ROTR wasn’t up.

Worse thought: what if they think this IS the best they can do with this attraction? 😯

It's not really possible to know exactly how something will run in real time without running it in real time. Things go live with bugs all the time because how something works in real life isn't the same as in test. If this weren't the case you'd never have app or OS updates.

Absolutely worth it -- even for non-SW fans, it is worth it. Flight of Passage was incredible of itself as it took Sorin tech and doubled down on it.

ROTR, while using trackless tech, has taken both story telling like FOP with preshows, doubled down on immersive experience, and taken the trackless system to another level --- over 30minutes time. So yeah, worth it.

So Test Track, Indiana Jones and many other rides (even ones with tracks!) had lots of downtime early on and some even today. I guess by some people's opinions they are failures too. And it isn't like flipping a switch to improve. There's software development to follow which includes testing. I wouldn't want them to make a change quickly and risk more problems or even safety.

I think what we're seeing here is a combination of the following: lack of knowledge about the other rides problems, lack of memory of the other rides opening day problems, and an assumption that people think tech tends to drop without major problems.

I mean there's a reason why when new phones come out I never buy right after release to allow for them to work out some bugs. It takes time and having done some programming myself you can test and test all you want but sometimes you'll still manage to miss a problem. And if I remember correctly this thing has over 5 million lines of code, Fixing a problem you still managed to miss isn't going to be overnight.

Because and especially arguably if fixing the error causes another error.

Anyways point is its going to probably be a while before they had it running mostly error free if it is a programming error causing some of this down time.

Imagine if Disney had gotten this ride working before debuting it. They only hace dozens upon dozens of other attractions to keep guests occupied in the meantime. It’s not like they were gonna die because ROTR wasn’t up.

Worse thought: what if they think this IS the best they can do with this attraction? 😯
It is working. Thousands are riding everyday. Rides going down is normal. As has been pointed out countless times. For example, Indy still goes down multiple times almost every single day.

No data, but from being there for these first three days, seeing and hearing disappointed guests and lines at Guest Services there is no way they are going to let this continue.

Plus, you have to figure guests who plan to visit the park and see signs saying they cannot ride the new attraction are just going back home.

The majority of people will understand that a new attraction will break down. It's part of the experience. Radiator Springs Racers, Indiana Jones Adventure all did it.
They do not understand having to get to a park at opening and not even being guaranteed a Boarding Pass.
Better to have a sign that says ROTR may have down time issues longer waits than usual than No more guests allowed to ride because of sold out Boarding Passes.
Which, they DO NOT advertise on the radio or TV as being needed to ride the attraction.

ME
Those lines at GS would be longer without this system.

Sometimes rides operate better when they have mass amounts of people and regular park operating hours to work out the issues. Only so much can be done with testing and CMs.

What time does everyone think we should be leaving toy story lot tomorrow? We can walk to it and catch the shuttle. Just a bit unsure what time to do that. I figured we should be the the entrance by like 715?
We arrived at Toy Story yesterday (early entry day for some) at 6:15 and were in the park by 7:15, and today it was 6:45/7:30. While it’s true that you just need to get into the park before 8, we were definitely worried this morning about the lines at the gate since we left later. (We were also aiming for the Critter Country kiosk at Splash Mountain to increase our chances of getting a BG, though the app worked fine for us both days.) To save you stress, I’d arrive at Toy Story at 6:30 so you can get into the park before 7:30 and have time to find a good spot away from the crowds and test out your app. Good luck!

From the Youtube reviews I've seen and other written reviews of ROTR I've read online, it's apparent that Imagineering hit it out of the park with ROTR. Total game changer.

Another game changer ride went live almost 25 years ago in 1995. Indiana Jones is a great example of what happens when Disney gets the storytelling right for an attraction. I mean, think about it...25 years later and IJ still is one of the most popular attractions at the Disneyland resort. Long lines all the time. FPs go quickly. And you know what else? The ride regularly breaks down at random times of day for random durations of time. Despite that, people still flock to it.

Why? Because it's a stellar attraction. Because it's an immersive experience. The ride sequence itself is the same every time. Yet we all go on it over and over and over again. Why? Because it's fun. Because it makes us go, "WOW!"

Star Tours opened in 1987. That's an amazing ride, too, with a great story.

Carsland opened in June of 2012...almost 8 years ago. So for 8 years straight since it opened, RSR runs out of FP. RSR is SUCH a great attraction. It, too, is excellent storytelling with an immersive experience. And from what I can tell from people's reports so far, ROTR appears to be way better.

Consider Pandora at Animal Kingdom. The Navi River Journey ride? Meh. That was one and done for us. But Flight of Passage? Amazing. What's the difference between the 2? FOP has a better story. Navi River Journey left us thinking, "What is this all for?" After we got off of FOP for the 1st time, as we exited the ride, I shouted to one of the CMs, "THAT WAS THE BEST RIDE EVER!" and gave him a high 5.

And ROTR? I mean, HOLY COW, I saw a video yesterday or today in which grown men had tears of joy after going on ROTR. When a theme park ride can make grown men cry, I'd say that's an attraction that I probably need to go on. So you better believe that if that means I have to be up early to have a chance of getting on a boarding group, I am totally doing that! Because if I don't get up early, then there for sure is no way I'm getting on ROTR.

I asked the general information Cast Member tonight, and he basically told mw to give up on wanting to ride tomorrow. AT&T is being crappy and I'm losing cell data right at 8 every morning because of the mass of activity, and boarding groups are always full by the time I start seeing service again. I asked the CM if there's a solution, but he said no, and it sounds like I just won't be able to ride at all because park wifi isn't reliable, either.

I asked the general information Cast Member tonight, and he basically told mw to give up on wanting to ride tomorrow. AT&T is being crappy and I'm losing cell data right at 8 every morning because of the mass of activity, and boarding groups are always full by the time I start seeing service again. I asked the CM if there's a solution, but he said no, and it sounds like I just won't be able to ride at all because park wifi isn't reliable, either.
I wouldn’t just give up.

Maybe this will put into perspective why troubleshooting code for RotR isn't exactly quick. Remember the ride has 5 million lines of code. According to this: https://www.visualcapitalist.com/millions-lines-of-code/ that's equivalent to the Mars Curiosity rover. And knowing just how much debugging can be a game of whackamole (you fix one error only to have a new error pop up as a result of fixing the first error) at times. Its going to take a while to sort out any errors they are finding now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter