Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 1 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-4*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will say the opening of this ride has definitely affected crowds and wait times on our normally very quiet Sunday morning rope drops. Obviously it’s not Christmas level crowds, but there are definitely a lot more people here to get a BG, and they do affect wait times. I’m ready for the novelty of this ride to wear off, but I think that’s going to take awhile.

I will say the opening of this ride has definitely affected crowds and wait times on our normally very quiet Sunday morning rope drops. Obviously it’s not Christmas level crowds, but there are definitely a lot more people here to get a BG, and they do affect wait times. I’m ready for the novelty of this ride to wear off, but I think that’s going to take awhile.
Yeah, looks like doing rope drop isn't a smart idea right now lol . I'm going to try and go Saturday, and will show up around 10am after the morning madness. We'll see how it is then

It was really freaking stressful this morning. I feel like it compromised my morning a bit because I felt off from the stress and even once you get a boarding group, it is such a process getting over there and going through the process when you have kids who are too short or too scared to ride. We are back at the hotel relaxing! Ha!

I’m glad we did it, but even my husband said he’s good waiting until our almost 4 year old grows and inch and then we’ll just all ride together. Rider swap just takes forever even going through the FP lane.

I believe it! I'm stressed out just reading about all of this! I can't even imagine what it'll be like when I'm actually there!

As @HydroGuy said, they only do the picture once. Just remember to have your proof of Canadian residency because they do check that! I think they only checked one person in our group of four but I’m pretty sure I read last year that they sometimes check each person in the group.
Thanks for clarifying a need for documentation. I cannot recall ever needing that myself but I would not want to mislead anyone that it is never needed.

:wizard:

I believe it! I'm stressed out just reading about all of this! I can't even imagine what it'll be like when I'm actually there!
It's also exhausting. I rode it in WDW. We were jet lagged, woke up at 4:30, got the gates at 5:35, scanned in around 6:20. Found a spot with good service, and waited until 7am opening. Plus it was 35, windy and cold. We left at 2pm. Couldn't make a full day.

It's my guess that the reason you need to scan into DL is to confirm you have a pass for DL. If you scan into DCA but don't have a Park Hopper, you wouldn't be able to get into DL. They want to ensure people who get BGs can actually use the BGs.

The app knows what kind of ticket you have.
Like MaxPass knows if you have a PH or not. So that should be possible.

:wizard:

How are the crowds during the day in DCA impacted by this, does anyone know? I really wish they would just open up BGs an hour after opening, that would make things so much less stressful all around and if they get to a point where they can consistently have the ride running right at opening maybe they could have some amount of backup groups from the day prior ride that first hour. I cannot stand standing in nonmoving lines, especially ones with people cutting, it's just not worth the stress to me but my husband really wants to try this ride of course, ugh... instead of being happy and excited I just feel sick thinking about it and am actually dreading it... coronavirus doesn't help!

It's hard to say how crowds at DCA are being affected by RotR because the Lunar New Year celebration started the same say RotR opened.

I can tell you, without a doubt, last Sunday DCA was WAY WAY WAY more crowded than DL was.

I actually think it's gonna get WORSE as time goes on. Not necessarily because it gets progressively busier in Feb, Mar and Apr - but because once word gets out that you need to be there at rope drop to even have a chance to ride, the morning crowds at some point will become unmanageable.

Sure, they can open the turnstiles earlier on some days - but not ALL days (since they do have other commitments in the park during pre opening times). And maybe they'll even have to increase the space of the "holding area" so people don't get trampled!

And I'm convinced that previous riders will still come early to ride again. Once you're successful in getting a BG, I think you're at a huge advantage.

I'm going mid March and I've been at this exact time twice before years ago and it's always crazy busy at rope drop.

It's gonna be nuts this year. My teens aren't really big SW fans so they may just choose to opt out of the 6am wake time! 😄

I actually think it's gonna get WORSE as time goes on. Not necessarily because it gets progressively busier in Feb, Mar and Apr - but because once word gets out that you need to be there at rope drop even have a chance to ride, the morning crowds at some point will become unmanageable.

Sure, they can open the turnstiles earlier on some days - but not ALL days (since they do have other commitments in the park during pre opening times). And maybe they'll even have to increase the space of the "holding area" so people don't get trampled!

I'm going mid March and I've been at this exact time twice before years ago and it's always crazy busy at rope drop.

It's gonna be nuts this year. My teens aren't really big SW fans so they may just choose to opt out of the 6am wake time! 😄
Yeah I’m glad we really enjoyed the slow summer last year.... we are definitely going to take a break... we’ve gone a lot since moving to San Diego in June, and I think we are going to spend some time doing other things.
This ride is really going to affect park attendance and guest experiences.... there is definitely an uptick in adults between the ages of 35-50 decked out in Star Wars gear. I think rope drop is gonna suck until they no longer need to BG system.

It's also exhausting. I rode it in WDW. We were jet lagged, woke up at 4:30, got the gates at 5:35, scanned in around 6:20. Found a spot with good service, and waited until 7am opening. Plus it was 35, windy and cold. We left at 2pm. Couldn't make a full day.

It is exhausting. We were up at 5:30 and my poor dad has been sleeping for over an hour. It’s cold and damp today too.

You know to do things like, turning the wifi off, getting to a place where you have full cell service, loading all tickets into the app, having multiple people choose at once, etc. Or if there's troubleshooting issues. For example, when I went, the join boarding group button didn't light up, so I knew to hit my status and join that way. Others may not know to do that. Granted I knew a lot of these tricks by obsessively stalking these threads lol. But most visitors don't understand how to read up on basic fastpass info, let alone the boarding group system.

Wednesday morning was just brutal for the weather in Florida, but I braved it. It was a good morning to rope drop tsl since sdd was down, got on tsm right away.

You know to do things like, turning the wifi off, getting to a place where you have full cell service, loading all tickets into the app, having multiple people choose at once, etc. Or if there's troubleshooting issues. For example, when I went, the join boarding group button didn't light up, so I knew to hit my status and join that way. Others may not know to do that. Granted I knew a lot of these tricks by obsessively stalking these threads lol. But most visitors don't understand how to read up on basic fastpass info, let alone the boarding group system.

^All this!

Plus I'll add that repeat ROTR riders will likely already know where their personal best cell service is, whose phone/cell provider was successful when they've previously scored BGs, how their phone's time was synced with the park's opening times!

They'll also have confidence! Everyone doing it for the first time could be uncertain, forgetful, stressed, flustered and downright panicked! In that state, you don't always perform optimally (like in your practice runs at home!). 😄

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter