Ridiculous wait at Mama Melrose...

The more I read posts about ADRs the happier I am that, aside from one at Sanaa, we will be eating CS. An hour once or twice i could understand, but every meal world just be more of my vacation time than I'm willing to spend. I get all the arguments why, I just think it's unfortunate that Disney appears, from many threads I've read in recent months, to take advantage of everyone's good graces. People keep taking what they're dishing, so they keep serving it up, and charging handsomely for the privilege. Still looking forward to an awesome trip, but also willing to ditch plans and eat peanut butter and jelly from our snack bag if it means more time for family fun.

The issue that the OP discussed is not the norm. It was an anomoly that many of us tried to explain as probably the perfect storm that was DHS this Holiday Season. While there are several restaurants that seem to run late, most are pretty accurate in terms of seating on time. WHen we warn folks that seating will probably not be ontime it is generally because they have booked 'Ohana at 8 PM and have kids who are used to dining at 6 and they want to know the chances of getting seated early. Or they have shows booked or FP booked and want to get seated, eat and get the heck out in record time. In over ten years of Disney Dining I have never waited an hour at any restarant, but I have waited past my ADR time. I know it can happen, and I know that the times I choose for meals may play into the wait. 'Ohana is the one that is sketchy for us but I like a cocktail or two before dinner anyway, so it wors for me.

LOL, I get it! So a Disney ADR is actually a dining fastpass. :teeth:

Good to hear that others haven't had bad issues. And I do take posts with a grain of salt. People don't usually post equal praise with equal complaints, I know I will usually make more time to post if I'm upset about something than if everything is bliss.

LOL! Yes! But a FP with consequenses if you do not keep it. Disney never used to ask for a CC but a lot of people booked meals JIC and multiple ones so they did not need to make a decision. That may work in teh real WOrld, but in WDW that practice kept a lot of people from being able to book meals they wanted for their families. The argument that the practice was no harm no foul because the restaurant could take walk ups was not in reality, practical. Sure, some family might have gained that meal at Crystal Palace, but not the families who tried to plan ahead.

This system is not perfect, but I think it is a pretty decent one for most folks who plan thei trips ahead. I also think that when there are circumstances that the OP described the management will generally try to make it right. The OP did not ask for a specific "gift", but had he spoken to the manager and asked to either be released from his ADR or for vouchers rather than FP, I bet he woudl have been taken seriously. The OP chose to complain after the fact and when folks attempted to provide explanations ( not necessariy justify the wait) he yelled. I might be wrong but I never saw anyone tell the OP that the wait was okay, but they did try to discuss the unusual situation MM was dealing with this year.

The issue that the OP discussed is not the norm. It was an anomoly that many of us tried to explain as probably the perfect storm that was DHS this Holiday Season. While there are several restaurants that seem to run late, most are pretty accurate in terms of seating on time. WHen we warn folks that seating will probably not be ontime it is generally because they have booked 'Ohana at 8 PM and have kids who are used to dining at 6 and they want to know the chances of getting seated early. Or they have shows booked or FP booked and want to get seated, eat and get the heck out in record time. In over ten years of Disney Dining I have never waited an hour at any restarant, but I have waited past my ADR time. I know it can happen, and I know that the times I choose for meals may play into the wait. 'Ohana is the one that is sketchy for us but I like a cocktail or two before dinner anyway, so it wors for me.

LOL! Yes! But a FP with consequenses if you do not keep it. Disney never used to ask for a CC but a lot of people booked meals JIC and multiple ones so they did not need to make a decision. That may work in teh real WOrld, but in WDW that practice kept a lot of people from being able to book meals they wanted for their families. The argument that the practice was no harm no foul because the restaurant could take walk ups was not in reality, practical. Sure, some family might have gained that meal at Crystal Palace, but not the families who tried to plan ahead.

This system is not perfect, but I think it is a pretty decent one for most folks who plan thei trips ahead. I also think that when there are circumstances that the OP described the management will generally try to make it right. The OP did not ask for a specific "gift", but had he spoken to the manager and asked to either be released from his ADR or for vouchers rather than FP, I bet he woudl have been taken seriously. The OP chose to complain after the fact and when folks attempted to provide explanations ( not necessariy justify the wait) he yelled. I might be wrong but I never saw anyone tell the OP that the wait was okay, but they did try to discuss the unusual situation MM was dealing with this year.

Given that this has happen to us (until we wised up) and to a couple of other posters, I dont think this is an anomoly to THIS season, I think this is a systemic problem at MM.

Most of our ADRs have been fine, but MM we were always kept waiting and only a couple of others over many years of going have we had to wait super long.

Yes, that all makes sense. I'm one of the people who will wait forever without complaining and may even give you a second chance, but after that I just won't go back any more...looking at you Senor Wongs.

I'm also willing to wait if the restaurant cooks its own food. I would never wait an hour for a table at Applebees or Olive Garden (okay and to be fair we only eat there now when dh family gets us gift certs) but if the Black Sea (Mediterranean, yum) is busy I wait...it's worth it.

I think for the most part people have the "just happy to be here" attitude which we should all go in with. You're on vacation! Relax, roll with the punches, do some deep breathing, have a smoke or a drink and queue up. Chances are they aren't running late because they want to and the flippant attitude from CMs that some folks experience seem few and far between. And if their lateness will wreck your plans let them know so they can try to work it out for you. If all other avenues fail you, you can commiserate here.

The issue that the OP discussed is not the norm.
It begs a redefinition of the term "extreme," then.

Even when planning for extreme circumstances, nobody reasonably expects a meal with a reservation to (a) start an hour later than "reserved," and/or (b) take over 2 hours to complete. You can't and shouldn't have to plan for that kind of tardiness when dealing with a major multi-national corporation.

What makes it worse, as many have mentioned, is that WDW has no compunction about charging you a no-show fee if you don't show up, but seems very reluctant to make you whole when your vacation experience suffers from their inability to seat and feed guests within a reasonable time frame.

Even when planning for extreme circumstances, nobody reasonably expects a meal with a reservation to (a) start an hour later than "reserved," and/or (b) take over 2 hours to complete. You can't and shouldn't have to plan for that kind of tardiness when dealing with a major multi-national corporation.

What makes it worse, as many have mentioned, is that WDW has no compunction about charging you a no-show fee if you don't show up, but seems very reluctant to make you whole when your vacation experience suffers from their inability to seat and feed guests within a reasonable time frame.

But what's the expectation for adequately solving the problem?

I don't think a FP and allowing OP to cancel without a fee is off base. Some people aren't happy until they've been comped their next vacation over something like this.

We didn't experience any reluctance. They actually seemed kind of relieved to get our group out of the waiting pool.

wow, 242 posts and counting on this topic...interesting, I need in on this. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be happy at all about this either but I do think that some have unduly high expectations of Disney to "comp" them for any and all hiccups (kind of like a guaranteed vacation).

Given that this has happen to us (until we wised up) and to a couple of other posters, I dont think this is an anomoly to THIS season, I think this is a systemic problem at MM.

Most of our ADRs have been fine, but MM we were always kept waiting and only a couple of others over many years of going have we had to wait super long.

We never have. WE have waited a little bit, but never what I felt was unreasonable. An hour? I would not be happy, and honestly I would say something.

But in this case, what would you do? Suffer in silence and then complain or would you have addressed it when you felt the wait had become unreasonable? I would never let a meal destroy my vacation experience. What question now is, what makes you whole? I have always been treated fairly when I felt there was an issue, not just in a restaurant. But I would not ask for more than what was fair. In the OP case, i would have wanted to be released from my ADR responsibility (and I would not have been charged, bet you a buck) and I would have asked for my vouchers if i was going to Fantasmic and had booked that package. Then I would have scooted over to the nearest CS and gotten something to eat.

In December we were staying at CSR and our last day the resort had been sold out to a convention. No one had been informed that the Peppermarket was off limits to resort guests. Breakfast coffee was not in an urn, but needed to be doled out at the pool bar. Which was bombarded with folks who were sent over from teh main building. My DDIL asked if we would be able to get lunch at the QS and was told yes. Perfect! WE had saved one credit and wanted a late lunch before departing. We were not allowed in. SO I went to the concierge and asked for help. She got a manager and I asked if I could get lunch in the little TS that was open. We really wanted that chipoltle bacon burger but what can you do? The manager made it good, with just a conversation. No confrontation, just a conversation. WE did discuss how the resort dropped the ball with the guests who were still there, because mousekeeping was knocking on doors EARLY, and folks were left feeling rushed out to make room for the "real" guests. She agreed that they really should have been more proactive. I asked for nothing and nothing was offered about that...WE both understood that no harm had been done outside of my lunch.

I don't think a FP and allowing OP to cancel without a fee is off base. Some people aren't happy until they've been comped their next vacation over something like this.

We didn't experience any reluctance. They actually seemed kind of relieved to get our group out of the waiting pool.

Outback bent over backwards last night(NYE) when our order was messed up, and we didnt really even complain, we asked them to take off the salad since he got his first steak and never got the salad. They never brought out DH's salad, we never got refills, and they messed up DH's steak had to cook him a new one which took FOREVER and and therefore they apologized to us if they messed up any future plans we had for the evening, knowing it was NYE. Kids got free dessert, they took the steak off, didnt charge for the salad, and gave us coupons to come back and apologized profusely. I actually was shocked they did all that but was impressed. I

Now giving vouchers to come back would not work at WDW but they could have talked with the OP and done something more than a free FP for the OP. Once again, we barely said much about it, but they knew their kitchen wasnt performing well as they messed up the couple next to us as well. I think if a restaurant is running that far behind, they should offer something off the bill.

Companies need to make it right.

I can only remember one time having an excessive wait and that was for an Ohana breakfast. We don't usually plan our schedules so tight as to not allow for having a wait from time to time. If it was the situation where it was going to ruin plans (such as it's going to turn into a 3 hour ordeal) then the reservation only requires that 1 person show up in order to not be charged, so I would just send the others on to eat at Pizza Planet or something, while I enjoyed my 3 hour meal. I do agree with the no show charge (I have seen way too many disappointed people turned away from restaurants) only to have empty tables because of no shows and besides, during a very busy time you could try to cancel on the spot (in person). The restaurant may even be thankful. Last trip (December 2014) we had reservations for 6 at Akershus for dinner. We had eaten lunch around 1:30 at the Coral Reef for our CP package, and after watching NPH and the Processional we walked towards Akershus but none of us had an appetite. I figured if nothing else I would honor the reservation alone. When I walked up and told the hostess the situation she was not only relieved and did not charge me the fee, she offered me any time I wanted the next day. There was a massive line waiting to get in and I'm sure we made someone very happy. When I mentioned the 24 hour cancellation rule, she told me that was enforced BY THEM for no shows - that people who came in person prior to their reservation time to cancel were welcomed.

In December we were staying at CSR and our last day the resort had been sold out to a convention. No one had been informed that the Peppermarket was off limits to resort guests. Breakfast coffee was not in an urn, but needed to be doled out at the pool bar. Which was bombarded with folks who were sent over from teh main building. My DDIL asked if we would be able to get lunch at the QS and was told yes. Perfect! WE had saved one credit and wanted a late lunch before departing. We were not allowed in. SO I went to the concierge and asked for help. She got a manager and I asked if I could get lunch in the little TS that was open. We really wanted that chipoltle bacon burger but what can you do? The manager made it good, with just a conversation. No confrontation, just a conversation. WE did discuss how the resort dropped the ball with the guests who were still there, because mousekeeping was knocking on doors EARLY, and folks were left feeling rushed out to make room for the "real" guests. She agreed that they really should have been more proactive. I asked for nothing and nothing was offered about that...WE both understood that no harm had been done outside of my lunch.
That's shabby treatment, in anybody's book. They could/should have comped part of your room price, since you weren't able to use the resort's amenities for the entire length of your stay.

"Allowing" me to not pay a penalty for missing a meal I couldn't get into in time to meet my plans doesn't sound to me like much of a concession. I wouldn't ask for or expect a free vacation. But here I am, an hour late for a meal, cutting into my next planned activity, and I'm hungry... my happiness meter is pegging low real soon now -- maybe they could voucher a meal for me? Bring me a glass of wine? Maybe some calamari in a take-out box to tide me over until I can find some food...?
And I'm glad they solved your issue to your satisfaction. Maybe I'm a bit more demanding...

We just got home from 9 nights/10 days at WDW and we had the same issue at MM and Ohana. In fact I checked in and went over my reservation (name, number of people, any allergies, etc...) with the CM at the podium. She stated that they were all out of pagers so I needed to wait in the area. No problem! We waited for about 45 minutes and when I finally got through the line back up to the podium the CM told me I told her the wrong name so we weren't checked in. She then contacted the manager and told him that I gave her the wrong name. How do I not know my own name? Two other CMs were mouthing apologies to me. And then the first CM was removed from podium duties. We were seated about an hour after our check in. The night before MM, Ohana was at least an hour wait. So much so that Disney called us the next morning to apologize and gave us an extra fast pass for our inconvenience.

We had our first (and probably last) meal at MM in early December. Arrived 20 minutes early as it started raining and were basically told that we were too early to check in but we could (Huh?) . Given a pager and found a corner to huddle in as the lobby was packed. We waited a total of 1 hour for our table, the 20 minutes that we were "early" plus an additional 40 minutes. We were seated by a manager, who I asked about recommendations. I said that one sounded good (saltimbocca) so he's like "Okay I'll put your order in" (uh I wasn't sure that was really what I wanted but okay). Daughter ordered spaghetti with meat balls. Our real server came by and was puzzled that he had taken our order as well. She was pretty inattentive, had to repeatedly ask for our drinks (water) and we were less than wowed by our food. Mine was dried out and had obviously sat under a heat lamp for a while before making it to the table. The mashed potatoes were okay as was the broccolini. We had booked F! package for March already but after that experience we cancelled and will just try to get a FP+ instead.

That's shabby treatment, in anybody's book. They could/should have comped part of your room price, since you weren't able to use the resort's amenities for the entire length of your stay.
If we were at the resort all that day and were kept away from the amenities, i would have said something. I did not want money, but I was annoyed about the Pepper Market being closed. I know the entire resort was "bought out" but think that nothing should have changed until at least til after the official check out time, or that guests should have been given advance notice. The manager made the meal right, and that was all I wanted, but I doubt I will stay at a convention resort again.

I think another issue is that many times family and friends are all meeting up for meals and spend more time visiting after the meal than they do at normal restaurants, so the tables don't always turn as quickly.

I have never paid that much attention in TS meals, but I do know many times in CS places, I will wander around with my food on a tray only to find all the tables filled with people not eating, but just sitting and talking. I would assume its the same way in TS restaurants.

I think another issue is that many times family and friends are all meeting up for meals and spend more time visiting after the meal than they do at normal restaurants, so the tables don't always turn as quickly.

I have never paid that much attention in TS meals, but I do know many times in CS places, I will wander around with my food on a tray only to find all the tables filled with people not eating, but just sitting and talking. I would assume its the same way in TS restaurants.

This is predictable and should be accounted for in the number of ADRs they release for booking.

This is predictable and should be accounted for in the number of ADRs they release for booking.

I would think they would be able to factor that in as well. I know even at Outback last night there was a table next to us who were done but I overheard them say they would leave at halftime as the bowl games were on the TV there. You always have to factor in people lingering.

I think allowing the poster to cancel without a fee and fast passes for each person in the party is adequate. What else is the restaurant going to do? Obviously seating people on time isn't an option.

That being said, some of the experiences shared on here are unbelievable. Disney should do better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter