Ridiculous Epcot security

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still like and book CR but almost always a split stay, moving to BWI later. CR portion will be for our MK days
Poly and GF have always disappointed me in one way or another so no hurry to book there again
To me, GF has the worse transportation. We only stayed there once & hated it.

So, maybe to get people to quit arguing about what others have experienced (the whole "Well, it didn't happen to me so it couldn't have possibly happened to anyone else" effect) I'll try to steer this back...

We know Epcot is getting an overhaul in the near future. Maybe the issue discussed here regarding the double screening will be remediated in the overhaul?

I'll save some time with some canned responses:
"No, it won't matter"
"It could"
"It definitely will"
"I hope it does" (thanks yulilin3)
"I hope it doesn't"
"I'm too cool to care and I want people to know so I'm gonna post something to show them I don't care"

Last edited:
So, maybe to get people to quit arguing about what others have experienced (the whole "Well, it didn't happen to me so it couldn't have possibly happened to anyone else" effect) I'll try to steer this back...

We know Epcot is getting an overhaul in the near future. Maybe the issue discussed here regarding the double screening will be remediated in the overhaul?

I'll save some time with some canned responses:
"No, it won't matter"
"It could"
"It definitely will"
You forgot
"I hope it does "

Op here - had no idea this was going to start such a thread!!

Once I finally got to the actual bag check portion of the line I asked the guard as he rummaged through my stuff and he said he “hopes they’ll figure it out soon too, it’s stupid that they make some people go through this twice. I hear they’re working on it.”

So, that’s the word from someone in Disney security. I don’t take it as much but at least some people realize this is an issue.

If you’re staying at one of those resorts part of why you pay more $$ is b/c it’s supposed to be a more convenient location.
Geographically convenient to MK, sure. You're paying for all the deluxe-ish features of the hotel. You're not paying for specific security levels.
snappy said:
Maybe you are missing the point? Disney marketing characterizes the monorail resorts as convenient etc. Going through Disney’s version of park entry security twice isn’t exactly deluxe OR convenient.
Yup. Physically convenient or proximate to Magic Kingdom, and Epcot to a lesser degree. Not subject to less security.
With this new security, it’s not. So, it’s stupid on Disney’s part b/c eventually ppl will realize it’s not a convenient location & will stop shelling out the extra $.
Other visitors will come and spend that money, possibly more, on that room.
If you pay more $$ for a more convenient location, it should be more convenient. Doesn’t make me more important than anyone else. If they want the same experience, they can pay too. And, in this case, it’s even less convenient than any other b/c you’re screened TWICE!
Yes, you get more convenient physical access to tye two parks. Nobody gets exempted from security checks. That's not what MK-area visitors pay for even in their more expensive room rates.
Don't you think someone that would want to harm people would have the idea of bringing something under the pizza?
Mission: Impossible notwithstanding, by opening the pizza security could reasonably (not absolutely) discern that the pizza is fl
No, but with the car that’s not what I’m paying for. The monorail resorts are even more expensive than the other deluxe b/c you’re paying for convenience. That’s the luxury that’s being sold &, in this case, not being delivered.
Convenience, sure. Proximity, yes. Exemption from security checks? Where is this even implied by Disney?

How much time are people really spending in security here?
If you believe the hyperbole ("forever"), they're all still in that line :D

So here's a solution that's not far off. Let's all get chips implanted under our skin like they do with dogs. it can contain out basic info, and then the government -- or Google or Apple or whoever want to pay for the info -- can track us wherever we go. They'll know if I've been to a gun shop or -- shudder -- stepped into a Mosque. And everyone will be able to breathe easier.

I disagree with nearly everything you said. Except for this.

Cheers!

It’s that I’m paying for convenience & not getting it. Why do you stay deluxe? If I fly first class, I expect better service than coach.
Good analogy. When (if) you fly first class, you are not exempt from security. You do get better service on the plane.
It can take over an hour to get into Epcot from a monorail resort. That’s absurd.
An hour from what point? Starting from the Poly, you go through security. Could be immediate boarding (one minute) or a wait through security and for the monorail. Then five minutes to/at GF, ditto for MK, then Contemporary before finally debarking at the TTC. Zero to what, five minute wait for the Epcot monorail, then 10 minutes to and down the ramp at Epcot.

That's 30-35 minutes already.

It's a minor one, IMO, if you are blowing the big bucks to stay at GF for a one time trip. Your statement is coming off as quite entitled, yes? The more money you can spend, the better treatment you should get? Only people with money to burn get to be treated well?

Wow, that's some off colored statement. "Only people with money to burn?" How do you know people who stay in the GF "have money to burn"? Entitled has nothing to do with it, the high price of the hotel does. That's like saying the ammentities at Pop Century and the GF should be the same, and obviously they are not. Sorry, you get what you pay for.

Also, bags that go thru a screener are looking for weapons (guns, knives etc). I work in a government building and everyone going into the building with a bag has to put it on a conveyer belt, walk thru a metal detector and then grab it off the belt. It is relatively quick and easy and a lot easier then a person going thru your bags.

Resorts are separate entities than the parks. Paying more money to stay at a Disney resort only entitles you to the amenities and convenience of that resort. It doesn't entitle you to preferential treatment in the parks or special treatment at the entrance or through all areas of security. A more convenient location means only that - proximity to the park. You aren't paying any more for your entrance to the parks than people that are staying elsewhere so why would you expect a premium experience getting into the park?

But those people aren't asking for a "premium experience". They are simply asking for the same experience as others who are staying at a different resort or driving in-just having to go through security once.

Wait...so if you stay at the GF that makes you more special than others and you should be whisked through any security line? Should they also not have to stand in any line, even a FP+ queue, be seated at any restaurant whenever they desire?

Sorry, I don't buy that. WDW does security amazingly well, IMO, given how many people are there and the risk for issues.

Yes, I think the ammentities at a hotel that someone is paying $600/night for should be different than someone who is paying $150/night.

But those people aren't asking for a "premium experience". They are simply asking for the same experience as others who are staying at a different resort or driving in-just having to go through security once.

Thanks for clarifying it. Somehow the going through security twice escapes some posters here.

Last edited:
Another thing that irks me about security is how different it can vary from cast member to cast member. We were in the parks a few days ago, and travel with a backpack as we have a 1 year old. The first security cast member briefly glanced into the main compartment of my backpack and then let me on my way. The second one opened every single pouch, including my wallet, and then practically rifled through that as well. It was unnecessary if you ask me. They should at least be consistent across the board.

Another thing that irks me about security is how different it can vary from cast member to cast member. We were in the parks a few days ago, and travel with a backpack as we have a 1 year old. The first security cast member briefly glanced into the main compartment of my backpack and then let me on my way. The second one opened every single pouch, including my wallet, and then practically rifled through that as well. It was unnecessary if you ask me. They should at least be consistent across the board.
I think that’s deliberate. They can’t thoroughly search every item every time, but they can keep everyone on their toes by varying their approach each time.

No they can’t search each and every bag, pocket, stroller, water bottle, eye glass case, camera bag, wallet (come on what’s hiding in a wallet anyway) manually. And some of those TWICE. That’s why there are suggestions above to rework security to include consistent use of scanners and metal detectors.

Where you are lost here is that it's not just the monorail resort guests that have to go through security twice. Anyone going to Epcot via monorail has to. And that isn't limited to monorail resort guests.
Sorry, but yeah, you are sounding very entitled to think that you are owed something different just because you pay to stay Deluxe. We stay Deluxe too and don't expect any treatment different from someone staying at a Value. And it does make you sound like you think you are more important than the lowly value resort guest. May not be how you intend to come across but as a reader, it is how you come across.
Anyone who says "I pay X to stay at this resort so I expect special treatment" does.

Don't think expressing what someone expects to get for the price they paid, makes them "appear" to be entitled. What is the obsession with "entitled"? People on here feel the need to smear people as entitled because people are voicing their opinion on what services they think they should get for the money they paid for something???

Geographically convenient to MK, sure. You're paying for all the deluxe-ish features of the hotel. You're not paying for specific security levels.

Yup. Physically convenient or proximate to Magic Kingdom, and Epcot to a lesser degree. Not subject to less security.

Other visitors will come and spend that money, possibly more, on that room.

Yes, you get more convenient physical access to tye two parks. Nobody gets exempted from security checks. That's not what MK-area visitors pay for even in their more expensive room rates.

Mission: Impossible notwithstanding, by opening the pizza security could reasonably (not absolutely) discern that the pizza is fl

Convenience, sure. Proximity, yes. Exemption from security checks? Where is this even implied by Disney?

If you believe the hyperbole ("forever"), they're all still in that line :D
No one is suggesting being exempt from security checks. But, I don’t need 2 within 30 min or so.

And, that’s always the argument if you don’t like something at WDW that there will be plenty of ppl to take your place. But, eventually WDW will get a negative reputation & they’ll run out of guests to dupe into paying more. So many businesses now do business like the world is about to end with little regard for how current practices will effect them long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter