Rides and disability, am I doing something wrong?

we went just for a couple days in December, I feel like scooters were everywhere! I use to go up to the CM working the attraction and they would have me go to the exit of the ride, in December they wanted me to transfer to a manual wheelchair. I can walk short distances, I can’t stand for long periods of times and I cannot use a manual wheelchair, especially on space mountain lol. My joints is my problem.
Am I doing something wrong? I have a medical card, I own my scooter, did all the non medical people using scooters ruin it for us who really need one?
Ideas??? We are going back in August this will be my 3rd trip to WDW while scooter bond - thx!
What do you mean, "a medical card?"

I cannot sit in a sling wheelchair. In order to follow Disney’s rule about ECVs not being in the regular line, I put a rollator on the back of my scooter. The rollator folds for transporting it and also has a flat hard seat - not a sling seat with very little support.

Perhaps a rollator would be your answer.

We were at Haunted Mansion last year. The CM told us that they had an issue with an ECV earlier that day when a woman hit several children in line, hurting them so that they needed medical attention. I know that I did not plow into anyone and neither did you - but - I certainly understand why they do not allow ECVs in lines. Disney does not want young children or adults to be hurt at Disney World!

I hope this helps you. Thanks for reading.

that reminds me of the time we were being let in to see the Tiki show. me in a manual chair and 2 older ladies in ECVs. the two ladies obviously had zero clue how to operate them in any other fashion than in a straight line. one lady literally broke the hard plastic cover of the battery right off because she kept ramming into the benches, the other was no better. the start fo the show was delayed a good 15 minutes because the CM weren't;t letting the rest of the crowd in until they were settled. ( no CM tried to help at all.. eventually my husband went over to them, put them in neutral and manhandled them in to place.)

No ECV in line at Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Pooh last July. All were at MK. There may be more now.

I have always taken my ECV in the Haunted Mansion line, as recently as last week. We went on it at least half dozen times in November 2017, in all cases I used my ECV. Since several people have mentioned not being able to use ECVs in HM, I'm wondering if they just do that during busier times, or when there is a long wait?

We never go to WDW when the crowd levels are over 4 out of 10. Perhaps that makes a difference in procedure?

I have always taken my ECV in the Haunted Mansion line, as recently as last week. We went on it at least half dozen times in November 2017, in all cases I used my ECV. Since several people have mentioned not being able to use ECVs in HM, I'm wondering if they just do that during busier times, or when there is a long wait?

We never go to WDW when the crowd levels are over 4 out of 10. Perhaps that makes a difference in procedure?
MY friend uses an ECV and I have a DAS card she has always been allowed to use her ECV in line at the HM with no problem at all

LAST JULY - No one was permitted to take an ECV in line at HM the week we were there!!!
IF YOU WISH TO QUESTION ME ON THAT STATEMENT, PLEASE ALLOW ME TO GET MY WITNESSES IN ORDER BEFORE YOU CRUCIFY ME!!!

I made a true statement. I have ALWAYS taken my ECV up to the front where handicapped people can board the ride. HOWEVER, the week we were there LAST JULY - we had to switch to a wheelchair! They had an accident earlier that day in which a woman on an ECV ran into some children. The CM told us that the children required medical attention.

The ECVs had to park OUTSIDE. Only wheelchairs and rollators were permitted on the lines.

LAST JULY - No one was permitted to take an ECV in line at HM the week we were there!!!
IF YOU WISH TO QUESTION ME ON THAT STATEMENT, PLEASE ALLOW ME TO GET MY WITNESSES IN ORDER BEFORE YOU CRUCIFY ME!!!

I made a true statement. I have ALWAYS taken my ECV up to the front where handicapped people can board the ride. HOWEVER, the week we were there LAST JULY - we had to switch to a wheelchair! They had an accident earlier that day in which a woman on an ECV ran into some children. The CM told us that the children required medical attention.

The ECVs had to park OUTSIDE. Only wheelchairs and rollators were permitted on the lines.
Look no one is saying you are not saying what happened to you we are too saying what we have seen and what we/people with us have done at HM. I do not think anyone is trying to crucify you at all. One person on the Dis had 3 different why they got on HM within a few days/ a week.

They always have pulled us out of the line at HM with his wheelchair, and we enter at the exit often.

Wow. No need to shout! SueM in MN, has posted repeatedly that how mobility devices are handled varies from day to day, even the same day. It depends on what the CMs determine at any given time.I

edited to add key word :)

Last edited:

We had to park my Mom's ECV in September at Haunted Mansion. They had manual chairs available if needed which we did use. We parked them at the little covered area near the entrance. There was a cast member there organizing the ECVs and making sure the manual wheelchairs were available to those needing them. September tends to be a quieter time, but we were still told to park it.

Thank You, KPeterso!!!

When one feels picked on, but is telling the truth - it just “feels bad”.
I feel better now!!!

Again - Thank You!!!!!

Thank You, KPeterso!!!

When one feels picked on, but is telling the truth - it just “feels bad”.
I feel better now!!!

Again - Thank You!!!!!
Like I said before no one is saying you are not telling the trueth ( other people have come in and said they were not allowed to bring there ECV in line) I have not seen any pattern when when and hen you are not allowed to bring your ECV in line with you as we were allowed to bring my friends during a pretty busey time ( the wait was 60 minutes ) You are not the only one that has had to park your ECV and had to use a wheelchair in line, just like my friend was not the only one that was able to take her ECV in line.

come to think of it I wonder if it is the size of the ECV did you have one of that you rent at the park as those are bigger then some rented ones?

Like I said before no one is saying you are not telling the trueth ( other people have come in and said they were not allowed to bring there ECV in line) I have not seen any pattern when when and hen you are not allowed to bring your ECV in line with you as we were allowed to bring my friends during a pretty busey time ( the wait was 60 minutes ) You are not the only one that has had to park your ECV and had to use a wheelchair in line, just like my friend was not the only one that was able to take her ECV in line.

come to think of it I wonder if it is the size of the ECV did you have one of that you rent at the park as those are bigger then some rented ones?

We always rent offsite for my Mom from Randy's Mobility. She had a fairly small 3 wheeled scooter (Pride Go Go Sport, or something like that), so not one of the huge park ones. It honestly was not a big deal to park it since I could push her through with no issues. They actually would ask when we came off the elevator if she could walk a few feet and take us through a roped off area to board in the regular boarding area. That was definitely new this time.

Kristin

We always rent offsite for my Mom from Randy's Mobility. She had a fairly small 3 wheeled scooter (Pride Go Go Sport, or something like that), so not one of the huge park ones. It honestly was not a big deal to park it since I could push her through with no issues. They actually would ask when we came off the elevator if she could walk a few feet and take us through a roped off area to board in the regular boarding area. That was definitely new this time.

Kristin

My friend has a small 3 wheel ECV ( so there goes my idea that it is the bigger ones that are not allowed). I wonder if they have a limit on how many ECV they have by the tombstones (where you have to park the mobility device) if this area is full then they ask if you can transfer if there are not a lot of ECV back there then they will let you take your on. I know I have to skip the stretching room and go through the back door and I almost all ways see an ECV parked in the area.

I am more wondering for others that would not be able to do the line in a wheelchair if we could find out when you have to use a wheelchair or not ( or at least have an idea of when)

Kristin

Elevator? Are you talking about Disneyland? There's no elevator on HM in WDW.

I wouldn't assume other folks using scooters don't need them.

My youngest appears healthy. He can walk just fine (but if you watch him walk, you would notice he does so a bit differently). But, he has Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, and cannot walk the amount that we do at Disney without severe joint pain, so we bring a wheelchair with us for him to use on our Disney trips (and he uses it for museum field trips as well).

People's needs vary.

Agree. I used to wonder about seemingly healthy looking people using ECV's at Disney...were they just trying to skip the lines...until God brought me down a notch...My beautiful (and very much healthy looking) 17yo dd has chronic Lyme (including some of the joint laxity of EDS). She used to walk the parks just fine but in the last several years has gone from needing a wheelchair every other day to every day. I know people are thinking she looks fine so are we just trying to get something special?? We aren't! We go through almost every line just like everyone else and we are 100% ok with that. I love that Disney has queues that accommodate her in the chair. We also only use the chair for museums, the zoo, etc...in her everyday life, she can walk what is needed. But WDW is just too much.

They always have pulled us out of the line at HM with his wheelchair, and we enter at the exit often.

Same. We wait through the line, and go into the stretching room with everyone else. Then they pull us over and have us get on where guests are unloading.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter