Revolutionary War/North East trip tips/tricks?

Williamsburg:
I think Williamsburg is definitely on the itinerary now. I know it's more Colonial than heavily focused on the Revolution (though very cool there were several Revolutionary happenings there), but that's not a problem. The fact that it's a "living" place is a huge plus and I've wanted to go for years! I believe they discuss/show some of the harsh realities slavery there as well, which I know many places shy away from, so that's a major bonus. I've never heard of Great Wolf Lodge but will definitely take a look!
Happy to be able to help.

Colonial Williamsburg does, in fact, have programing relating to slavery and doesn't shy away from it. They frequently have walking tours relating to slavery as well as street performances and programing at the Hennage Auditorium.

It sounds like your daughter may enjoy interacting with the Nation Builders. They have two who interpret George Washington. Daniel Cross (Col. Washington) and Ron Carnegie (Gen. Washington) are both amazing...as are all of the National Builders.

Now that I think of it we did watch the Sam Adams series back when it came out (2008) on HBO.
We enjoyed it. He was local to us.

@Pea-n-Me Yes, to the ability to see much in a short walking distance. We used to go to Philly on a spur of the moment due to the inexpensiveness of the commuter trains (NYC Penn Sta/NJ Transit to SEPTA/Philly costs about a third of the Amtrak fare) and frequency. 😎

Here is a "faction" series that was written in conjunction with the Bicentennial celebration in the mid 70s. I read them then, and watched several of the TV miniseries that were developed from them. I was very impressed with the books and the miniseries.

At the time, I recall some historians criticized the practice of writing fiction based on fact. They said the authors didn't have to fact check carefully, since the books are fiction, after all. I don't agree. As someone else posted, a well-written book inspires further research in the real history of what happened.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kent_Family_Chronicles

The Kent Family Chronicles (also known as The American Bicentennial Series) is a series of eight novels by John Jakes written for Lyle Engel of Book Creations, Inc. to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence of the United States.[1] The books became best sellers, with no novel in the series selling fewer than 3.5 million copies.[2] With The Rebels, The Seekers, and The Furies, Jakes became the first author to have three books on the New York Times bestseller list in a single year, 1975.[3]

The books feature different members of the Kent family, connecting them with historical events at the time of the American Revolution. The first novel begins just before the American Revolution, with Frenchman Phillipe Charboneau, who travels to England and later to the New World, changing his name to Philip Kent along the way and meeting several key figures of the Revolution, including the Marquis de Lafayette, Benjamin Franklin, Samuel Adams, Paul Revere, Joseph Warren, and others. The saga ends some generations later in 1890, with the death of Gideon Kent in The Americans. The series was originally intended to continue until 1976, covering 200 years.[4]

Happy to be able to help.

Colonial Williamsburg does, in fact, have programing relating to slavery and doesn't shy away from it. They frequently have walking tours relating to slavery as well as street performances and programing at the Hennage Auditorium.

It sounds like your daughter may enjoy interacting with the Nation Builders. They have two who interpret George Washington. Daniel Cross (Col. Washington) and Ron Carnegie (Gen. Washington) are both amazing...as are all of the National BuildersI would
That's great news! P.S. Your avatar picture is ON POINT for this discussion!

Here is a "faction" series that was written in conjunction with the Bicentennial celebration in the mid 70s. I read them then, and watched several of the TV miniseries that were developed from them. I was very impressed with the books and the miniseries.

At the time, I recall some historians criticized the practice of writing fiction based on fact. They said the authors didn't have to fact check carefully, since the books are fiction, after all. I don't agree. As someone else posted, a well-written book inspires further research in the real history of what happened.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kent_Family_Chronicles

The Kent Family Chronicles (also known as The American Bicentennial Series) is a series of eight novels by John Jakes written for Lyle Engel of Book Creations, Inc. to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence of the United States.[1] The books became best sellers, with no novel in the series selling fewer than 3.5 million copies.[2] With The Rebels, The Seekers, and The Furies, Jakes became the first author to have three books on the New York Times bestseller list in a single year, 1975.[3]

The books feature different members of the Kent family, connecting them with historical events at the time of the American Revolution. The first novel begins just before the American Revolution, with Frenchman Phillipe Charboneau, who travels to England and later to the New World, changing his name to Philip Kent along the way and meeting several key figures of the Revolution, including the Marquis de Lafayette, Benjamin Franklin, Samuel Adams, Paul Revere, Joseph Warren, and others. The saga ends some generations later in 1890, with the death of Gideon Kent in The Americans. The series was originally intended to continue until 1976, covering 200 years.[4]
Thank you! I'll check this out for sure.

Last edited:
It's very true, but I think we do a disservice when we look down too much on movies/musicals//TV series about history, some of which aren't very historically accurate at all. But it doesn't really matter... because something magical happens next.

MANY folks who love the Civil War had that love ignited by the movie Gettysburg in the early 90s and a couple other movies that came out around that same time. I know several people who became fascinated with the Titanic and wanted to learn all about it after seeing the movie in the late 90s. Now there's people wanting to learn about the Revolutionary War and beginnings of our country because of the musical Hamilton. Some will watch it, say they love it, and move on. They'll have inaccurate info in their head. But plenty of others will become hungry to learn more. As they pursue learning more about that historical era they will learn the actual truth! They'll realize that some of what they thought they learned is totally wrong, but will learn what is actually true... and they'll probably share that knowledge with other people! Movies/TV series/Musicals can create history lovers, and the facts will work themselves out. But that person might never have fallen in love with history if it weren't for that totally inaccurate entertainment they watched.

I saw a post a few years ago where someone said how much they loved Hamilton and wanted to learn more about the War for Independence. In one of the comments a woman blasted the musical for not being historically accurate, and stated that "Hamilton didn't meet LaFayette, Laurens, and Mulligan in a bar. That's not how it happened." I actually laughed out loud. They don't have 50 hours to go through every tiny detail of Hamilton's life... they need to move the story along! Lin-Manuel Miranda wasn't even trying to be totally historically accurate (obviously) - he wanted to make some statements and entertain people. And, because of that, here I am planning a trip about history for my 13 year old who never cared about history until now. ❤️
Phillip Schuyler had more than just 3 daughters. He also had some sons.

Phillip Schuyler had more than just 3 daughters. He also had some sons.
He sure did. I learned that after seeing the musical, taking an interest in the subject, and learning more. I had never even heard of Phillip Schuyler or any of his children prior to that point. So... to my point... a not-very-historically-accurate musical prompted me to learn about a family I likely would have never cared to learn about otherwise.

Last edited:

Monticello and Michie Tavern are two places to hit if you can. Also, near Monticello is James Monroe's Highland residence. They use actors to tell the story of our 5th president and his family.

If you can, do a Haunted Williamsburg tour. It actually gave more insight on the importance of Williamsburg than the day-time tour we did. Just make sure you wear bug spray because the no-see-ums feasted on us.

Since we're on a theme park board...if you end up focusing on the VA side of things, don't forget there is also Busch Gardens in Williamsburg...

And a tiny beach in Yorktown (or the much bigger one in VA beach), if you prefer a lazier day.

I know history focused trips can eventually lead to "eye glaze over" after day after day of museum or battlefield, so having something just about fun can be a nice break.

And if you happen to be in Williamsburg, visit "Food for Thought' to eat. It's a family-owned place that is ideal for absolutely any eater, and not too pricey for tourist areas.

https://www.foodforthoughtrestaurant.com/

Since we're on a theme park board...if you end up focusing on the VA side of things, don't forget there is also Busch Gardens in Williamsburg...

And a tiny beach in Yorktown (or the much bigger one in VA beach), if you prefer a lazier day.

I know history focused trips can eventually lead to "eye glaze over" after day after day of museum or battlefield, so having something just about fun can be a nice break.

And if you happen to be in Williamsburg, visit "Food for Thought' to eat. It's a family-owned place that is ideal for absolutely any eater, and not too pricey for tourist areas.

https://www.foodforthoughtrestaurant.com/
Yes, we're definitely planning to scatter history excursions with relaxing or fun plans... I totally agree with your eyes glazing over after awhile.

DW and I have taken several trips to visit historical sites both Civil War and Revolutionary War. Of those mentioned here. I would rank the Revolutionary sites as

Mount Vernon
Valley Forge
Williamsburg
Yorktown

Gettysburg is a must do in my opinion.

Also there are some interesting sights in Alexandria that I had not been previously aware of

OP here.

It's very true, but I think we do a disservice when we look down too much on movies/musicals//TV series about history, some of which aren't very historically accurate at all. But it doesn't really matter... because something magical happens next.

MANY folks who love the Civil War had that love ignited by the movie Gettysburg in the early 90s and a couple other movies that came out around that same time. I know several people who became fascinated with the Titanic and wanted to learn all about it after seeing the movie in the late 90s. Now there's people wanting to learn about the Revolutionary War and beginnings of our country because of the musical Hamilton. Some will watch it, say they love it, and move on. They'll have inaccurate info in their head. But plenty of others will become hungry to learn more. As they pursue learning more about that historical era they will learn the actual truth! They'll realize that some of what they thought they learned is totally wrong, but will learn what is actually true... and they'll probably share that knowledge with other people! Movies/TV series/Musicals can create history lovers, and the facts will work themselves out. But that person might never have fallen in love with history if it weren't for that totally inaccurate entertainment they watched.

I saw a post a few years ago where someone said how much they loved Hamilton and wanted to learn more about the War for Independence. In one of the comments a woman blasted the musical for not being historically accurate, and stated that "Hamilton didn't meet LaFayette, Laurens, and Mulligan in a bar. That's not how it happened." I actually laughed out loud. They don't have 50 hours to go through every tiny detail of Hamilton's life... they need to move the story along! Lin-Manuel Miranda wasn't even trying to be totally historically accurate (obviously) - he wanted to make some statements and entertain people. And, because of that, here I am planning a trip about history for my 13 year old who never cared about history until now. ❤️
Just to let you know, Liberty's Kids is pretty accurate to American Revolution history. It's written for elementary school age kids but does not shy away from the negatives on both sides (tar and feathering/slavery have episodes dedicated to those issues). I know you didn't tag me, but I do hope sometime in the future, you and your family come visit the many historical places in NYS. @seshat0120 and I disagree on several things sometimes but her knowledge on Colonial Williamsburg is superb.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter