Revolutionary War/North East trip tips/tricks?

Katie Dawn

DIS Veteran
My DD13 has recently become interested in the Revolutionary War thanks to the Hamilton musical (love that! đź©·) I'm a history lover myself (more of a Civil War girl) so a little out of my element with the Revolutionary War but excited to start planning!

It doesn't need to be Hamilton-specific, and it doesn't need to be solely focused on the Revolution.

We'll be driving from Tennessee. Possible options we've come up with so far...
*Mount Vernon (DD13 is very interested in this, and I went there maybe 15 years ago, so this is a definite on the itinerary I think)
*Since we'll be so close from Mount Vernon we're thinking we'll do 1 or 2 days in D.C. - really flexible on where we go as there are 1.2 million great options! (We feel pretty good about navigating D.C. from previous trips but if you have any places relevant to our "theme" you recommend let's hear it!)
*Visit one of the Revolutionary War battlefields that wouldn't be too far out of the way. Do you have a favorite or one that has great tours or battlefield interpretation so we can get our head around what happened? Hamilton being at that battlefield gets bonus points!
*Philadelphia - we would want a Colonial/Revolutionary focus here. We've never been so any advice would be great! I really love (1) Hop On, Hop Off bus tours as they allow you to linger however long you like at different spots and drop you off at multiple sites or (2) Hiring a tour guide to take us around to a few sites. Any recommendations there?
*Colonial Williamsburg

I know Boston would be a great spot too but not sure we're wanting to go that far north. But if you think it's worth it I'm happy to hear you out!

Thanks!

We visited the Williamsburg area in early September. We really enjoyed visiting the Yorktown and Historic Jamestown National Parks. Yorktown has a well-marked battlefield driving tour, and Jamestown has several very good walking tours.

You might combine that with visiting Monticello in Charlottesville and Mt. Vernon in the northern VA area.

Last edited:
Watch HBO's "John Adams" miniseries. I am a big US History buff and just finished watching this. It filled in many details for me having read about and visited historical sites from the 1700's and 1800's and it is exceptionally well done IMO.

Mt Vernon and Monticello are magnificent as is Old Town Aexandria, VA. Michie Tavern is near Monticello and worth a visit. I'd get some paper maps of the area from AAA and highlight a road trip through historical areas stopping at as many as possible. Sometimes, the obscure sites noted by a historic road sign can be worth a stop (that is how we found Michie Tavern).

Boston is about 450 miles from DC, so it would be a full days drive each way. There is much to see including the USS Constitution, but unless you are able to dedicate another two days drive and two days touring, perhaps wait for another visit? Note that Colonial Williamsburg, Yorktown and Jamestown are quite a distance from DC as well. Roads in the east as slow and congested, so times and distance are not always accurate.

Enjoy your trip!

Yorktown (VA) is a must-do on a trip like this, IMO. In Philadelphia, be sure to go and see the Constitution Center; which leads you to the entire reason the war was fought. The thing that struck my kids forcefully when they walked through Signer's Hall was how young so many of them were; several of them no more than 10 years older than your child. (Constitution Center also happens to have a big Hamilton (the man) exhibit on right now.)

Washington DC, of course. To me, even if you see nothing else, beholding the original Star-Spangle Banner on display at the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History is first order bucket list. All the rest of the several Smithsonian museums are gravy on top.

https://amhistory.si.edu/starspangledbanner/
If this really moves you, go to Ft McHenry in Baltimore and be there for the 10 AM daily flag-raising ceremony. If the wind co-operates, they raise a replica 30' x 42' garrison flag.
https://npplan.com/parks-by-state/m...nal-monument-and-historic-shrine-flag-change/
Concord, MA is also must see. It's where it all began.
https://www.nps.gov/mima/planyourvisit/index.htm
Have lunch right across the street from the tavern where the Minutemen gathered the night before 4/19/1775.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wright's_Tavern

Washington DC, of course. To me, even if you see nothing else, beholding the original Star-Spangle Banner on display at the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History is first order bucket list. All the rest of the several Smithsonian museums are gravy on top. [snip]
Absolutely the Star Spangled Banner gallery is moving, but it's not actually related to the Revolutionary War. The OP may or may not want to expand to the War of 1812 on this trip.

Is Albany too far out of your way? We went to the Schyuler Mansion where Alexander and Elizabeth were married.

Also agree with Yorktown being on the list. The town is adorable and the battlefield where the surrender was was cool to see, especially if you picture it as sung in the song.

(We have done a lot of Civil War/Revolutionary War road trips.)

Philadelphia has a lot of great spots to visit in the center city area. The Constitution Center gives an overview, then there is Independence Hall, the Betsy Ross House, Franklin Court and so many more. Valley Forge Park is about an hour drive outside the city and there is Fort Mifflin which is in the Delaware River near the airport. Both had a huge impact. A little north of the city is Washington Crossing Park although I will admit I haven't been there in a while. Most of the Revolutionary War History is in close proximity to each other in the center city area. There are so many more sites but I can't think of them all. There is also a museum of the American Revolution. I think I need to visit center city again soon.

To the best of my knowledge Hamilton never got further south than NJ during the Revolutionary War; he was really headquartered in NY at that time.

That being said you’ll probably find more areas he was actually in within DC. He visited Monticello along with other government officials during…Washington’s administration, I think it was so that would be a good possibility.
As well the FederalistPapers are stored there. and you can visit his offices in DC and take in more of the post Revolutionary period.
As for Philly I really don’t know much about him in that locale but I certainly wouldn’t miss visiting it.

As other posters stated Boston is better suited for a different trip maybe one that Includes NY.

I spend a lot (a lot) of time visiting Colonial Williamsburg. If you're daughter has an interest in the Revolutionary War/18th Century America, I'd consider it a definitely must. However, there won't be much (any) talk of Hamilton there. I may be biased, but I'd devote a minimum of 2-3 days in Colonial Williamsburg.

Monticello and Mount Vernon have been mentioned, but in Virginia you can also visit Montpelier (home of James Madison), and Scotchtown and Red Hill (homes of Patrick Henry). I've never been to Montpelier, Scotchtown, or Red Hill, so really can't offer any insight to them. Tours of Monticello on most days include meeting Jefferson who is being portrayed by Bill Barker. Bill portrayed Jefferson at Monticello for many years has an amazing wealth of knowledge about Jefferson.

Along with Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown make up the historic triangle in Virginia. At Jamestown you can visit Jamestown Settlement (another living history museum) as well as Historic Jamestown run by the National Park Service.

In Yorktown is the Revolutionary War Museum (which is run by the Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation) which also runs Jamestown Settlement. You can also visit Yorktown Battlefield which is part of the NPS. It's both a driving tour and you can walk through the old part of town. The driving tour includes Moore House where negotiations for Cornwallis's surrender took place and Surrender Field.

As you've guessed, there is a fair amount of in the Boston area related to the Colonial/Revolutionary period (I've lived outside of Boston my entire life). In Boston you can walk the Freedom trail that stops at a number of important locations including Paul Revere's House, the Old State House, Old North Church, etc. Outside of Boston, is Minuteman National Historic Park located in Lincoln and Concord. Lexington Battle Green is not a part of Minuteman, but can be visited.

I know the USS Constitution was mentioned above. It is included on the Freedom trail, but dates to the War of 1812.

A little side fun, there is a Great Wolf Lodge in Williamsburg. Not historical, but could be a nice break and a fun place to stay.

To the best of my knowledge Hamilton never got further south than NJ during the Revolutionary War; he was really headquartered in NY at that time.

That being said you’ll probably find more areas he was actually in within DC. He visited Monticello along with other government officials during…Washington’s administration, I think it was so that would be a good possibility.
As well the FederalistPapers are stored there. and you can visit his offices in DC and take in more of the post Revolutionary period.
As for Philly I really don’t know much about him in that locale but I certainly wouldn’t miss visiting it.

As other posters stated Boston is better suited for a different trip maybe one that Includes NY.
He was at the Battle of Yorktown, in Virginia.

This came later in history and is interesting for a short stop if it's not out of the way. We took our daughter here years ago when she was learning about the Trail of Tears.

The Passage is a pedestrian link between downtown Chattanooga and the Tennessee River and marks the beginning of the Trail of Tears. The Trail of Tears refers to the journey which forced the removal of the Cherokee tribes from Ross' s Landing in Chattanooga to Oklahoma.

I spend a lot (a lot) of time visiting Colonial Williamsburg. If you're daughter has an interest in the Revolutionary War/18th Century America, I'd consider it a definitely must. However, there won't be much (any) talk of Hamilton there. I may be biased, but I'd devote a minimum of 2-3 days in Colonial Williamsburg.

Monticello and Mount Vernon have been mentioned, but in Virginia you can also visit Montpelier (home of James Madison), and Scotchtown and Red Hill (homes of Patrick Henry). I've never been to Montpelier, Scotchtown, or Red Hill, so really can't offer any insight to them. Tours of Monticello on most days include meeting Jefferson who is being portrayed by Bill Barker. Bill portrayed Jefferson at Monticello for many years has an amazing wealth of knowledge about Jefferson.

Along with Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown make up the historic triangle in Virginia. At Jamestown you can visit Jamestown Settlement (another living history museum) as well as Historic Jamestown run by the National Park Service.

In Yorktown is the Revolutionary War Museum (which is run by the Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation) which also runs Jamestown Settlement. You can also visit Yorktown Battlefield which is part of the NPS. It's both a driving tour and you can walk through the old part of town. The driving tour includes Moore House where negotiations for Cornwallis's surrender took place and Surrender Field.

As you've guessed, there is a fair amount of in the Boston area related to the Colonial/Revolutionary period (I've lived outside of Boston my entire life). In Boston you can walk the Freedom trail that stops at a number of important locations including Paul Revere's House, the Old State House, Old North Church, etc. Outside of Boston, is Minuteman National Historic Park located in Lincoln and Concord. Lexington Battle Green is not a part of Minuteman, but can be visited.

I know the USS Constitution was mentioned above. It is included on the Freedom trail, but dates to the War of 1812.
Been to Colonial Williamsburg a few times and maybe I’m being too catholic in thought but it doesn’t bring the Revolution to mind for me. Still, now that I know how close it is to Yorktown maybe it’s time to reevaluate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter