Revolutionary War/North East trip tips/tricks?

We're from west TN and a few years ago we visited Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown NP (they have a good driving tour and interpretive center). We also did DC for Fort Washington and Mt Vernon and the Museum of American History (we visited all again last summer). You can also go to Baltimore for Ft. McHenry. We have not made it to Monticello, but it's on my to-do list.

We're planning a Boston/Salem trip for next fall break. Last spring we had a work conference in Boston and walked portions of the Freedom Trail. You could walk or take a trolley tour.

I agree with others who suggested watching John Adams. It's a good series and my 13yo history buff enjoyed it.

A Civil War site near DC is the Mudd House in Waldorf, MD just south of DC and Fords Theater. There's also various Civil War battlefield sights between Williamsburg and DC that you can visit.

My DD13 has recently become interested in the Revolutionary War thanks to the Hamilton musical (love that! 🩷) I'm a history lover myself (more of a Civil War girl) so a little out of my element with the Revolutionary War but excited to start planning!

It doesn't need to be Hamilton-specific, and it doesn't need to be solely focused on the Revolution.

We'll be driving from Tennessee. Possible options we've come up with so far...
*Mount Vernon (DD13 is very interested in this, and I went there maybe 15 years ago, so this is a definite on the itinerary I think)
*Since we'll be so close from Mount Vernon we're thinking we'll do 1 or 2 days in D.C. - really flexible on where we go as there are 1.2 million great options! (We feel pretty good about navigating D.C. from previous trips but if you have any places relevant to our "theme" you recommend let's hear it!)
*Visit one of the Revolutionary War battlefields that wouldn't be too far out of the way. Do you have a favorite or one that has great tours or battlefield interpretation so we can get our head around what happened? Hamilton being at that battlefield gets bonus points!
*Philadelphia - we would want a Colonial/Revolutionary focus here. We've never been so any advice would be great! I really love (1) Hop On, Hop Off bus tours as they allow you to linger however long you like at different spots and drop you off at multiple sites or (2) Hiring a tour guide to take us around to a few sites. Any recommendations there?
*Colonial Williamsburg

I know Boston would be a great spot too but not sure we're wanting to go that far north. But if you think it's worth it I'm happy to hear you out!

Thanks!
We love talking about our local Revolutionary War history in the Hudson Valley. So if you you ever visit, you will have plenty of places to visit (both British and American perspectives to analyze as well).

https://www.hudsonrivervalley.com/revolutionary-war-routes-in-the-hudson-valley

https://www.hudsonrivervalley.com/sites/Revolutionary-War

https://travelhudsonvalley.com/travel-tools/themed-itineraries/revolution-tour-2/

https://parks.ny.gov/historic-preservation/heritage-trails/revolutionary-war/default.aspx

https://www.westpoint.edu/academics...nter/projects/hudson-valley-in-the-revolution

https://www.iloveny.com/things-to-do/path-through-history/themes/revolutionary-war/

https://hudsonvalley.org/plan-your-visit/

Your daughter may like to watch Liberty's Kids and AMC's Turn to further her knowledge on the subject matter as well.

You can travel further north from @Buzz Rules ideas to the Saratoga battlefield (major turning point of the revolution), then to Lake George for Fort William Henry, and then up to Fort Ticonderoga. Just a bit to the north of Ticonderoga is the ruins at Crown Point which was one of the largest forts built in that era.

Well I am kind of partial: Yorktown (my Mom’s family including our ancestor Augustine Moore- Moore House as mentioned up thread)
Since you will be in part of the historic triangle, Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestown.

Last edited:

Been to Colonial Williamsburg a few times and maybe I’m being too catholic in thought but it doesn’t bring the Revolution to mind for me. Still, now that I know how close it is to Yorktown maybe it’s time to reevaluate.
Although it may seem as if Williamsburg didn't have much happening once hostilities broke out, it very much played a part in the Revolution.

In May 1776, the Fifth Virginia Convention met at the Capitol in Virginia to vote on independence. The resolution passed unanimously. Richard Henry Lee was then instructed to introduce a resolution for independence in 2nd Continental Congress. The Virginia Declaration of Rights (which influenced both the Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights) was written in Williamsburg.

From June - July 4, 1781, the city was occupied by Lord Cornwallis before he moved on to York town. By that point, the the capital of Virginia had been moved to Richmond they ear before. In mid September, George Wythe's home in Williamsburg served as George Washington's headquarters while he was planning the Siege of Yorktown.

The battles of Spencer's Ordinary and Green Spring in the summer of 1781 both took place on the outskirts of Williamsburg.

You can travel further north from @Buzz Rules ideas to the Saratoga battlefield (major turning point of the revolution), then to Lake George for Fort William Henry, and then up to Fort Ticonderoga. Just a bit to the north of Ticonderoga is the ruins at Crown Point which was one of the largest forts built in that era.
My father was a history buff and we used to visit all these forts, and a lot of other places mentioned in this thread, when I was growing up. So much to learn!

I just wanted to mention another fort we visited when our kids were younger when we were out in Buffalo and visiting Niagara Falls and that was Old Fort Niagara. In the gift shop there we bought DS a handmade chest as a lifetime box that he can keep his special mementos in. We really enjoyed the visit.

If you are going as far north as Philadelphia, there is a lot in Old City -- Independence Hall and the Constitution Center. Valley Forge is a neat walk or drive; be sure to stop at the visitor's center to pick up information and a guide for the self-tour. It isn't an actual battlefield but where the troops spent much of the winter of 1777-1778.

Definitely Boston if you are looking to travel that far north.

We've also enjoyed visits to Colonial Williamsburg and Yorktown.

As mentioned, there is a lot to see in Philadelphia that is all within walking distance. I've stayed at the Hilton and the Marriott in Old City, which are less than 10 minutes from the Museum of the American Revolution (which has a tent used by George Washington) and a few more minutes from other museums, historic buildings, and the Liberty Bell on Independence Mall. The Visitor's Center (between the National Constitution Center and Independence Hall) has an interesting film that gives an overview of the Revolutionary War as it affected residents. Though it's not connected to the war, the Philadelphia Mint, which has a free self-guided tour, is also nearby, as are Elfreth's Alley (said to the be the oldest continually occupied residential street in the US) and the Betsy Ross House.

During the summer, there are costumed interpreters throughout the Independence Mall area telling stories about the war. I'm not sure a Hop On/Hop Off bus is necessary, since almost everything related to the war is within "America's most historic square mile," but a guided walking tour might point out details that you'd otherwise miss.

Gettysburg I'd recommend. We did that (although we had about half a day there) in 2016. Driving around plus doing the visitor's center was so neat. We had brunch in Gettysburg itself but I couldn't tell you where, I just remember the town area being really quaint.

We've done D.C. multiple times since my husband was living for nearly 9 months in southern Maryland. If you can and have time I would suggest requesting through your state rep a Capitol Building tour, we did that and it was fantastic got to see the tunnels below and get more hands on information plus we got to see the Senate and House, even though they aren't revolutionary focused there's a lot of feeling of U.S. history you get. White House tour a bonus if you want although it's not revolutionary information-driven. That is also by requesting it. We did various museums of course in D.C. We did some space ones as that greatly interests my husband and I but we also did the American History Museum plus the Postal Museum and probably one or two I'm missing. Obviously seeing the Monuments in National Mall are great. For D.C. if you're only doing 1 or 2 days I'd look up what you'd really want to see. The museums (most being free) make economical and information-filled choices but they also do have a lot of walking involved. But there is something about seeing the Star Spangled Banner (at the American History Museum) in person that gives chills to ya.

We also did Mount Vernon which I really enjoyed. I'd make this completely separate from D.C. even though they are close to each other.

I really liked Boston and I remember doing a hop on/hop off tour plus walking around however I would probably save that for another trip, maybe one you could combine with a few other things that go further back than revolutionary like Salem and Plymouth.

I agree with others about not relying on Hamilton. Maybe see if your local library has some PBS or otherwise type movies to watch.

Errr…how about a book? 😉
Errr..how about both? I mentioned movie based on the OP mentioning Hamilton which is a musical. Some people like movies, some like books, some like both. Doubtful anyone IRL would take my comment to mean don't crack open a book ;)

Errr..how about both? I mentioned movie based on the OP mentioning Hamilton which is a musical. Some people like movies, some like books, some like both. Doubtful anyone IRL would take my comment to mean don't crack open a book ;)
I took it to mean don't read ever and only consume TV and movies for all historical information. ;)

I took it to mean don't read ever and only consume TV and movies for all historical information. ;)
yup you caught me red handed! ;) The book lover since a young kid yuppers of course that's what I'd be saying

Anywho back to the actual topic of suggestions for the OP

I agree that Gettysburg is a great destination -- but just to be clear it is Civil War not the Revolutionary War, and OP made the distinction that her DD is interested in the Revolutionary War.
For sure but there's a lot of rich history there regarding battles and at least tangentially related to freedoms of persons (which was the basis for the revolutionary war). I more or less mentioned it to the proximity the OP will be at in the PA area. If you're going to make it up in that area it's worth at least mentioning to someone to look into. YMMV of course.

Wow Wow Wow!!!! THANK YOU everyone for your replies!!! Rather than quoting and responding to each of you I've tagged everyone and have responded generally by topic/location. Just know I appreciate all of you who responded!

@Praying Colonel @MICKIMINI @Pea-n-Me @NotUrsula @wabbott @wvjules @tazdev3225 @NYCgrrl @jeneric997 @seshat0120 @Rogue1677x @RangerPooh @adkkev @mylilnikita @lanejudy @Mommb @Mackenzie Click-Mickelson

First, I wanted to clarify that even though the Hamilton musical is the springboard for her interest, we are by no means planning a Hamilton-centric trip. (She very much got the message that Hamilton could be a crucial piece of building our country and simultaneously be incredibly flawed... a good lesson for life!) She's never had much interest in history (which hurts my history-loving heart) so we're wanting to fan the flames of interest she has developed in the last year or so. She's open to learning about the Revolutionary War and probably anything in Colonial times, so we're generally sticking with that.

Williamsburg:
I think Williamsburg is definitely on the itinerary now. I know it's more Colonial than heavily focused on the Revolution (though very cool there were several Revolutionary happenings there), but that's not a problem. The fact that it's a "living" place is a huge plus and I've wanted to go for years! I believe they discuss/show some of the harsh realities slavery there as well, which I know many places shy away from, so that's a major bonus. I've never heard of Great Wolf Lodge but will definitely take a look!

Yorktown:
Perfect recommendation!!! That is GREAT to hear that it has a nice driving tour and the battlefield is easy to understand. It's a bonus that Hamilton was there but I think the fact that Washington was there (and that Yorktown was effectively the end of the war) will get her interest the most.

John Adams miniseries (& a couple of other recommendations):
Thank you for this recommendation! I've been wanting to watch it myself and have wondered if it might keep her interest. That's great that many of you loved it (including one of your teens!) This will definitely be part of our trip prep.

Mt. Vernon/Monticello/Michie Tavern:
Mt. Vernon is a must do (her eyes lit up when I mentioned going to George Washington's house!) and I'll be looking at these other sites as well! I agree that Mt. Vernon definitely deserves it's own day. They really washed over the topic of slavery when I was there many years ago. Hopefully they've rectified that in recent years.

Boston/other parts of MA/NY/other Revolutionary War sites/surrounding area:
*It's nice to see that you all agree that (1) there's tons of incredible history to see there and (2) it's probably better to dedicate a separate trip to it. That will allow us to really take it in and not be rushing/traveling so much.
*I had no idea you could visit the Schuyler Mansion! It would be great to go there. (Eliza is the REAL hero of the musical as far as my daughter is concerned!)

Philadelphia (& surrounding spots):
I knew there would be several things there, but hadn't started researching it specifically, so I really appreciate the list of various places to go. I also really appreciate the recommendation of a couple of hotels that are a few minutes walk from those spots. 😍 Love that there are costumed interpreters at Independence Hall during the summer! Also really helpful to know that a Hop On/Hop Off tour isn't even necessary since everything is so close together.

Washington D.C.:
I've been to the National Museum of National History (DD hasn't yet though) and I agree seeing the Star Spangled Banner is so moving! Seeing the National History Museum this trip seems like a shoe-in if we're doing 1 or 2 D.C days.

Jamestown:
I hadn't even considered this, but it's been on my bucket list for a long time. Great suggestion! I know it's going back quite a bit farther in history, but I think it still makes sense on this trip.

Gettysburg/Mudd House/Ford's Theater/other Civil War sights:
You're speaking my language!!! At this point I don't think we're doing any Civil War sites this trip, but the Civil War topics are where my "history girl" heart is the happiest. Maybe we could squeeze Ford's Theater in while we're in DC though? I watch American Battlefield Trust's Civil War videos on YouTube all the time and never miss a Gettysburg one. Why are we so fascinated by that one? I got to visit Gettysburg about 15 years ago and loved every minute. But I understand the battle much more than I did the first time I was there so I can't wait to go back. Hmm.... am I talking myself into stopping there for ME even though we're mostly planning this trip around her interests? MAYBE! 😅

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited:
Probably not your first thought, but Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania have a lot of interesting history during that time period. Fort Necessity and General Braddock, Fort Pitt/Point State Park in Pittsburgh, Whiskey Rebellion, etc.

Make sure she reads actualy history instead of just relying on the play. It is barely true and some parts are hugely in error.
OP here.

It's very true, but I think we do a disservice when we look down too much on movies/musicals//TV series about history, some of which aren't very historically accurate at all. But it doesn't really matter... because something magical happens next.

MANY folks who love the Civil War had that love ignited by the movie Gettysburg in the early 90s and a couple other movies that came out around that same time. I know several people who became fascinated with the Titanic and wanted to learn all about it after seeing the movie in the late 90s. Now there's people wanting to learn about the Revolutionary War and beginnings of our country because of the musical Hamilton. Some will watch it, say they love it, and move on. They'll have inaccurate info in their head. But plenty of others will become hungry to learn more. As they pursue learning more about that historical era they will learn the actual truth! They'll realize that some of what they thought they learned is totally wrong, but will learn what is actually true... and they'll probably share that knowledge with other people! Movies/TV series/Musicals can create history lovers, and the facts will work themselves out. But that person might never have fallen in love with history if it weren't for that totally inaccurate entertainment they watched.

I saw a post a few years ago where someone said how much they loved Hamilton and wanted to learn more about the War for Independence. In one of the comments a woman blasted the musical for not being historically accurate, and stated that "Hamilton didn't meet LaFayette, Laurens, and Mulligan in a bar. That's not how it happened." I actually laughed out loud. They don't have 50 hours to go through every tiny detail of Hamilton's life... they need to move the story along! Lin-Manuel Miranda wasn't even trying to be totally historically accurate (obviously) - he wanted to make some statements and entertain people. And, because of that, here I am planning a trip about history for my 13 year old who never cared about history until now. ❤️

Last edited:
We had a great spontaneous trip to Philadelphia one night and actually, on foot, got to see quite a bit in the few hours we had to visit. DS was playing at a tournament in southern NJ and mentioned how close we were to Philly, so we decided to go. Games ended around 4pm that day so we didn’t have a lot of time. I believe it was a Saturday in probably May or June. Arrived around 5 or so, and got to see Benjamin Franklin’s gravesite, the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, including a reenactment going on outside, and some other sort of memorial area (I forget exactly what it was). I would‘ve liked to see Betsy Ross’s house as I remember visiting that growing up and there was a picture of me outside of it, but it was getting late. Wound up going to Pats and Genos for a cheesesteak afterward and it was a really fun evening! In some of these historical cities you can get a lot accomplished there are so many things to see!

We also did another side trip once to Gettysburg (and Hershey Park). It was a long drive on smaller roads but we had a good time. I also remembered being there as a kid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter