• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Review of Czech Republic, Germany, Austria Trip!

I brought some of this home but haven't tried it yet. Something to think about this weekend!
On the July 5 trip, we did not spend any time in Berchtesgaden itself. Rather than touring a schnapps factory, adults were given the option of tasting some schnapps in the hotel bar after we returned from Hohenwerfen Castle. The bartender did provide a little info about the schnapps, but it was very informal, and since most who attended were wet from the heavy rain at the castle, the schnapps tasting was pretty short. I recommend the chili chocolate schnapps for anyone who participates.

I completely agree with you. The joy is in the exploring the off beat path. We needed more time but that is difficult on a guided tour.
This makes me sad. Reading what the itinerary was and how quick y'all were taken from spot to spot I am not surprised though.
A bit sad with how Salzburg was done too but at least some highlights were covered.

The thing is, Prague, Vienna, Salzburg... all are gorgeous with little narrow streets and quaint shops that are so fun to explore. The best part is being in these places and wandering around and you guys didn't get to do that.
There are also lovely non American hotels with tons of charm and restaurants/cafes brimming with culture and history.

Should anyone plan to stay in Vienna longer- I am happy to provide suggestions! At least suggestions for meals or sights during the breaks.

Pixieprincess310,

Thanks so much for your trip report. It will very helpful as we plan for our September ABD adults only trip to Central Europe. We will land at the Prague airport at 11:15 am the day before the ABD tour begins and hope to be at the hotel by 1pm. We plan to take an in depth tour of Prague on Saturday before the welcome dinner. Do you have any suggestions for the afternoon or early evening on the day of arrival? Thanks.

Kathy

The camera is still downloading pics and the first load of laundry is in. Will continue to read and react in the coming days.
My quick impressions:

Prague - St. Vitus church is amazing and you should try to see it own. So much of the history of Czech Republic is on display there. HOWEVER, the 3 hr city tours which include it also all include the exact same things you will see on your ABD tour - the few open rooms in the Palace and the Laneway mini-museums. It was a long walk for the kids and repetitive to do the same things two days in a row! If you could find an online resource or podcast to do the church on your own that would be smart. The ABD tour ends at the Charles Bridge, so you could easily stay in the Palace complex and see the church afterwards on your own. I would rather have spent my pre-day taking the kids to the Communism museum (which another family saw) or the Alchemy museum.

Berchtesgaden - is a fantastic place to stay! Amazing! The days we spent here were very active and I should have packed to wear 3 days of workout gear, with something a little dressier for the dinners. The ice cave was one of the highlights for me, but you need to wear:
- a technical fabric Tshirt (my thin cotton one was soaked with sweat and I am not a sweater!
- a fleece and/or shell
- gloves or mitts
- well broken in Running/Hiking shoes (I wore my Ecco walking shoes and regretted not bringing my Asics)
- technical fabric socks (ideally)
We got an ABD scarf as well, but no hat. I found I didn't need the hat. I had worn jeans, but yoga pants would have been even better. There is no squeezing through in these caves. The caverns are large and the paths wide and easy to navigate. I also should have brought backpacks with breathable fabric. We ended up using the kids ones as daypacks.

Vienna - 1st day our morning finished at the hotel for free time. The morning was spent at the Schonbrunn complex which is the Hapsbergs SUMMER palace, just out of town. The winter palace (the Hofberg) is in town and we visited it the next day. Day 1 was a good day to do some shopping, visit the churches, take a carriage ride. The second day we finished at the Hofberg palace in the old city. and did the Treasury and the Sisi Museum in our free time, which are in the same complex as the palace.

Those are my quick thoughts! More to come later.

Kathy,

Your tour of Prague probably won't include much on the Jewish Quarter since it would take up the entire time. Gosh - there is just so much in Prague...I think I would go to the Jewish Quarter and do the guided tour there. Very interesting and very sad.

Allie
Pixieprincess310,

Thanks so much for your trip report. It will very helpful as we plan for our September ABD adults only trip to Central Europe. We will land at the Prague airport at 11:15 am the day before the ABD tour begins and hope to be at the hotel by 1pm. We plan to take an in depth tour of Prague on Saturday before the welcome dinner. Do you have any suggestions for the afternoon or early evening on the day of arrival? Thanks.

Kathy

The camera is still downloading pics and the first load of laundry is in. Will continue to read and react in the coming days.
My quick impressions:

Prague - St. Vitus church is amazing and you should try to see it own. So much of the history of Czech Republic is on display there. HOWEVER, the 3 hr city tours which include it also all include the exact same things you will see on your ABD tour - the few open rooms in the Palace and the Laneway mini-museums. It was a long walk for the kids and repetitive to do the same things two days in a row! If you could find an online resource or podcast to do the church on your own that would be smart. The ABD tour ends at the Charles Bridge, so you could easily stay in the Palace complex and see the church afterwards on your own. I would rather have spent my pre-day taking the kids to the Communism museum (which another family saw) or the Alchemy museum.

Berchtesgaden - is a fantastic place to stay! Amazing! The days we spent here were very active and I should have packed to wear 3 days of workout gear, with something a little dressier for the dinners. The ice cave was one of the highlights for me, but you need to wear:
- a technical fabric Tshirt (my thin cotton one was soaked with sweat and I am not a sweater!
- a fleece and/or shell
- gloves or mitts
- well broken in Running/Hiking shoes (I wore my Ecco walking shoes and regretted not bringing my Asics)
- technical fabric socks (ideally)
We got an ABD scarf as well, but no hat. I found I didn't need the hat. I had worn jeans, but yoga pants would have been even better. There is no squeezing through in these caves. The caverns are large and the paths wide and easy to navigate. I also should have brought backpacks with breathable fabric. We ended up using the kids ones as daypacks.

Vienna - 1st day our morning finished at the hotel for free time. The morning was spent at the Schonbrunn complex which is the Hapsbergs SUMMER palace, just out of town. The winter palace (the Hofberg) is in town and we visited it the next day. Day 1 was a good day to do some shopping, visit the churches, take a carriage ride. The second day we finished at the Hofberg palace in the old city. and did the Treasury and the Sisi Museum in our free time, which are in the same complex as the palace.

Those are my quick thoughts! More to come later.

We had a wonderful time as our group was quite cohesive and got along pretty well. There wasn't a single family that isolated themselves. My little Erin got hooked with the other 2 7-year old girls almost immediately and started to have dinner together in the first meal.
Thank you Chanibustie and their friends who they met in the last Italy ABD trip for making our vacation so memorable!!!

Kathy,

Your tour of Prague probably won't include much on the Jewish Quarter since it would take up the entire time. Gosh - there is just so much in Prague...I think I would go to the Jewish Quarter and do the guided tour there. Very interesting and very sad.

Allie

Thanks for the advice Allie. We definitely want to see the Jewish Quarter and it does make sense to dedicate Friday afternoon to that area as we have so much to do on Saturday before the 5pm welcome dinner.

I am so grateful for all the reports on Central Europe. They have been very helpful.

Kathy :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter