Review of Czech Republic, Germany, Austria Trip!

Day 8 High Society

This morning you take the buss around the corner to the Spanish Riding School, home of the Lipizzaners. Wow. This is exactly what you've seen in all of the movies, etc. The tour and information is very interesting. This is probably the most in-depth tour of the entire trip. You will visit the stables (restricted to special guests), see the tack room and meet a Master Rider (the highest rank possible.) If there is a show that day, you may be able to purchase tickets which sell for 75 Euros each for seats or 25 Euros for standing. The show is at least an hour long.

After the riding school you will take a short walk (I can't even remember where) and then you're on your own for a bit. This is a great opportunity - and your LAST to do any shopping. We saw quite a few people walking on the street (and particularly on holidays) wearing traditional clothing. There are many shops where you can purchase these for both adults and children but again, they are not cheap but the quality is good. Also, don't forget holiday decorations and CHOCOLATE!

After lunch you will be picked up to go to Waltzing lessons. The formal ball circuit is a big deal in Vienna and you will see flyers and posters everywhere for different charity balls during the season. High school students here take formal dance lessons after classes the way we have band, cheer and football practices. You will attend classes at one of the oldest schools in Vienna and the grandson of the originator welcomes you and runs the practice. In attendance are 6-8 of his young students who take you through the steps and dance with anyone needing a partner. By the end of the lesson, we were all waltzing or quadrilling away. If you have a little JA who likes to dress up, this is the opportunity for her/him to wear her/his new Austrian outfit or a princess dress that she may have brought from home (as 2 or 3 little girls in our group did!)

That evening you will visit a very special restaurant for the farewell dinner. Words cannot describe how eclectic and interesting this restaurant and its owner are. You will be mesmerized the entire evening. Once again, tears came to my eyes as each adventurer shared what was the most memorable moment of the trip for him or her. So many mentioned Steph and Dean as well as the other great members of our group (smaller - only about 23 guests.) Your adventure guides have worked hard during the trip to take hundreds of photos, several of which they present in a slideshow this evening. Wow, did we do all of that in a week. Now is also when a contact list is passed around (in case you want to share your info with the others in the group). Copies are distributed upon leaving in the morning. You will also be given a card on which your trip code is listed. You can use the code to access and download all of the photos that your Adventure Guides took during the trip. I really felt like I wouldn't have had to take any photos, Dean and Steph did such an awesome job. Additionally, your airport transfer and flight information is attached so you know exactly when to be ready the next day.

I'll include a few other thoughts on the trip in my next update - which will be soon.

I was wondering if they housed you up in the Ritz. Haven't they been alternating the hotels in Vienna? Funny that the ABD bigwig was on your trip. If I was one of the "higher ups" for ABD, I'd do them all the time. :) It's research and quality control, right? Did anyone happen to mention concerns like Cevsky, etc?

Great Trip report. I enjoyed reading it.

Thanks so much for the great trip report--really enjoying reading it. Our friends are on this trip right now, and it's high on our list to do in the next few years. The ice caves sound awesome--love activities like that. Sounds like some good wicking winter wear would be good for the sweating/cold issue. Would love to hear what your favorite activity was and what your least favorite was (if that applies).

I have a question about Day 2 - it looks like you leave the hotel at 8:15 am for the Prague tour, have a 2 hour lunch break, river cruise and then directly to dinner - is that correct? Thanks!

Thanks so much for the great trip report. We're considering taking it next year.

You mentioned your guides were Stephanie and Dean, is Stephanie a blonde and from Germany originally? And is Dean from the states and work at DisneyLand when he's not an ABD guide. We had Stephanie on the Once Upon a Fairytale and then Dean was our guide for Backstage Magic. Both great guides.......

Thank you so much for the details!

We are on the August 2nd tour and I'm very excited! Being a lover of chocolate, I will leave extra room in my suitcase to bring home lots of treats!

I will pack some warm clothes for the ice cave. I am always cold, shivering now in Toronto with a temperature of 71 degrees!!!!

How was the Ritz in Vienna? We have an extra 2 nights booked there! Was the location good?

I am looking forward to seeing your pictures!

Great report PixiePrincess. We were on the second tour and just got home (went to Munich for 5 days after the ABD). Just to echo a few of your points. It was a jammed packed and great ABD. We had alot of fun and had a great group (41 total), along with our adventure guides (Jennae and Betti).

Agree with your point on Cesky Krumlov. It reminded me alot of Sienna (on the Central Italy ABD). We had about 2 hours of time on our own. At that point we were still pretty full from breakfast, so we explored the castle (climbed the tower) and town some more. Grabbed a quick pizza right before getting on the bus and went off to Berchtesgaden.

The ice caves are pretty strenuous. The day we did the ice caves was pretty cool with some rain showers. So, we lucked out in that it wasn't too hot on the hike up, but we probably didn't get the views of the alps that you guys did. We had about 8 or so in our group that went to the restaurant (not too strenuous to get to this point) and stayed there. They didn't do the hike up to the ice caves and go into them. We thought the ice caves were very cool, but it is 700+ steps up and 700+ steps down. We wore a fleece jacket, long pants, gloves, and an ABD issued hat. As a recommendation, make sure wear water proof shoes and bring gloves (the metal rails get pretty cold). Jenn wore sneakers with no socks and by the end couldn't feel her toes. In terms of alternatives, other than staying at the restaurant area or in the bus, there didn't seem to be alot of alternatives. You could probably do some wandering around in these areas, but if it is raining, it could be pretty boring.

Agree on the falconry show and the salt mines were a hit with everyone.

We did have 2 that didn't do the sound of music and Salzburg tour. They stayed at the hotel in Berchtesgaden and explored some of the WW2 bunkers and a museum with WW2 documents in the area. Not sure if they went to the Eagle's nest. We had a great day in Salzburg. The guide doing the sound of music tour was really good (they said she gave Rick Steeves the tour he broadcast on one of his shows). Although we got off the bus several times for pictures and more detail, we wished was that there was more of an opportunity to get off the bus. But you do have 1.5-2 hours on your own in Salzburg before dinner, and before returning to Berchtesgaden.

The Prague city tour is very much an overview tour. We did a private tour on the day the ABD started (we arrived the previous day). Got a lot of in depth history of Prague especially around Prague castle and the Charles Bridge. We also did a Ghost tour in Prague with Ghost Tour Praga. It is from 9:30 to 11:30. I'd highly recommend this to anyone with some free time in Prague. The English guide (Peter) is an awesome storyteller and really builds up the history and legends of Prague's Old town and Jewish Quarter. Through his stories you also learn alot about the history of Prague. We highly recommend this tour for an in depth understanding of these 2 areas of Prague (it's also pretty inexpensive). Another thing to do on your own, is to go to the top of the Astronomical Clock. You can take a lift up, and get some pretty good photo ops of the old town area.

For Cousin Orville--we did stay at the Ritz in Vienna.

Let me know if there are any questions. I'll try to post some photos over the next couple of weeks. From a text point of view I think PixiePrincess covered the trip really well.

May I ask who you used for the private tour of Prague?

We used Personal Prague Guide. Our guide was very good about structuring the tour to what what we wanted. For example, we wanted to climb to the top of St. Nicholas. We didn't know our guide didn't exactly like heights, but she gutted it out and did the climb with us (we told her she could wait for us, but she insisted on going up and giving us some of the history). Anyways, she did a very good job of engaging our 11 y/o son for 6 hours with various stories to bring Prague to life (more than just historical facts and dates). As I said in the previous post, if you want to get a great sense of Prague history as told through stories (we find this is how our son tends to remember the history of the sites) take the Ghost Tour Praga tour. Can't speak highly enough about this one.

WDW Groupie, The Ritz in Vienna is quite nice. An old bank building was converted so you have lovely stonework and ceiling details. There is a pharmacy 3 doors down and a grocery nearby. I heard a mall was close but we didn't bother with that. Definitely visit the rooftop bar to take photos (there is a walkway that goes all the way around.)
Thank you so much for the details!

We are on the August 2nd tour and I'm very excited! Being a lover of chocolate, I will leave extra room in my suitcase to bring home lots of treats!

I will pack some warm clothes for the ice cave. I am always cold, shivering now in Toronto with a temperature of 71 degrees!!!!

How was the Ritz in Vienna? We have an extra 2 nights booked there! Was the location good?

I am looking forward to seeing your pictures!

If anyone can help me with this, I would be happy to put up a few photos. Whenever I try to attach a photo, it ask for the photo's URL. I don't think my photos have one since I just have them saved on my computer. Duh. Help!:confused3

Yes. Those are the two. Aren't they just great!
Thanks so much for the great trip report. We're considering taking it next year.

You mentioned your guides were Stephanie and Dean, is Stephanie a blonde and from Germany originally? And is Dean from the states and work at DisneyLand when he's not an ABD guide. We had Stephanie on the Once Upon a Fairytale and then Dean was our guide for Backstage Magic. Both great guides.......

That is correct plus the Marionette workshop before the boat cruise.
I have a question about Day 2 - it looks like you leave the hotel at 8:15 am for the Prague tour, have a 2 hour lunch break, river cruise and then directly to dinner - is that correct? Thanks!

Hmm. I suppose my favorite would have been Cesky had we been there longer. I just enjoy a more rustic, historic town/city. For the same reasons, I loved the back streets of Prague and hearing the history of the buildings, ancient streets, daily life, court intrigue, etc.
We were not enthralled with Vienna - other than the palaces and historic sites that we toured. Is just a huge city and we didn't feel as in-touch/connected with it. I private historical tour would have helped with that to some extent.

Thanks so much for the great trip report--really enjoying reading it. Our friends are on this trip right now, and it's high on our list to do in the next few years. The ice caves sound awesome--love activities like that. Sounds like some good wicking winter wear would be good for the sweating/cold issue. Would love to hear what your favorite activity was and what your least favorite was (if that applies).

Cousin Orville, I don't know about them alternating hotel in Vienna. Perhaps someone else could comment.

We got the impression that ABD exec does travel a bit but not with his family and overall not as often as you might think. It just so happened that this was the first running of the new location/itinerary and good timing with his family. I am pretty sure he liked what he saw.

As far as Cesky, I don't know if others mentioned not being there long enough. I certainly did and it was shared. They were aware I was looking for a "meatier" trip and it seemed like they tried to make me happy as time went on. Who else but Disney would do that???
I was wondering if they housed you up in the Ritz. Haven't they been alternating the hotels in Vienna? Funny that the ABD bigwig was on your trip. If I was one of the "higher ups" for ABD, I'd do them all the time. :) It's research and quality control, right? Did anyone happen to mention concerns like Cevsky, etc?

Great Trip report. I enjoyed reading it.

If anyone can help me with this, I would be happy to put up a few photos. Whenever I try to attach a photo, it ask for the photo's URL. I don't think my photos have one since I just have them saved on my computer. Duh. Help!:confused3
PixiePricess310, what you need to do is upload your photos to a photo hosting site such as www.photobucket.com or www.flickr.com or www.snapfish.com. Once you upload them, the hosting site will give you the Direct URL for where you have uploaded each photo to, and you then use that URL when you post the photos here.

Let me know if that made sense or not, or if you need any more details.

Also, please be sure and post a link to your Trip Report in the Trip Report Sticky at the top of the ABD Forum. (Go to the first page of your thread, and grab the URL from the address bar). That way, folks will be able to find your wonderful report!

Sticky:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2167714&page=5

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter